Early Picnic

Early Picnic

We have been so fortunate over the last few weeks with record breaking warm weather. It’s been this way for such a long time that some of us, me included, are convinced it will stay this way until Summer. Alas, our local meteorologists tell us it’s coming to end very shortly, like Monday.

So yesterday, Bill and I decided to get out and enjoy the sun while it’s here. We went for a hike in the nearby park. It had been a long time since we had done that together. And I realize how much I miss being out in nature, especially when I’m enjoying it with him.

Normally, February is way too early to consider picnicking. But yesterday was so warm (low 70’s), we couldn’t resist the shining sun and blue sky and decided to eat our lunch al fresco.

I quickly made a Jarlsberg swiss, scallion and bacon quiche, got dressed and packed a proper picnic to take to St. Francis Winery just one mile up the road.

Statue of St. Francis in the courtyard

We walked to the back patio and unpacked our picnic basket.

Then we visited the tasting room to pick out a bottle of wine to enjoy with lunch. We selected Intatto Chardonnay. ‘Intatto’ means ‘untouched’ in Italian. This wine was fermented in stainless steel only – untouched by oak – and had a crispness to it that went with the crisp February air.

This was our lunch – delicious and inexpensive.

Quiche, homemade three-bean salad, tangerines, carrot sticks and olives.

One big advantage of going on a weekday – no crowds.

While we ate, we took in the beautiful views…

Hood Mountain

and watched jack rabbits hop across the vineyard rows, too fast for us to capture with the camera.

For dessert, we had a few nibbles of dark chocolate. This brand may be my new favorite.

Here’s a few more shots of our afternoon.

Today is another gorgeous day out. I’ve published this post, made my homemade Valentine’s Day card (which I will show you once my Valentine sees it first) and now I’m off for a quick walk.

Although I’m sad our sunny streak is ending, part of me is excited to start wearing my wellies and trench coat and carrying my ‘oh la la’ umbrella again!

Happy Saturday!

1. February 12, 2011 / 11:50 am

Hi Adrienne,

Looks like a beautiful and relaxing day!

Coincidentally, I just bought my husband a bottle of St. Francis Cab for Valentine’s day when I was at the store yesterday! Vons always has the best deals on wine the week before V Day!

2. February 12, 2011 / 1:01 pm

How lucky you are to live so close to such beauty. Your picnic looks lovely (and love the new profile pic also!)

3. February 12, 2011 / 3:21 pm

Lovely picnic and so great that you are situated so close to the winery.

Imagine the last picture with a torrential downpour…that’s us here….
    Brollies and Boots!

4. February 12, 2011 / 3:46 pm

sounds like an absolutely perfect day…a picnic with a great bottle of wine, my favorite kind of meal. And what beautiful surroundings.(-:

5. February 12, 2011 / 4:32 pm

i love that you guys are seizing the days. gorgeous day and gorgeous photos. thank you for sharing.

janet

6. February 12, 2011 / 4:44 pm

Adrienne – What a thrill! I love the St. Francis Winery! They are fellow Siena College alumni! We recently held an event there ~ it was absolutely beautiful. St. Francis wine is among my favorites and I am so glad you had this opportunity to enjoy the vineyard. Thank you for such a lovely post, lovely photos, and honoring such lovely people!

7. February 13, 2011 / 12:00 am

I’m jealous of your picnic, looks lovely! I’m anxiously awaiting the return of picnic weather here too 🙂

8. February 13, 2011 / 3:19 am

Where you live is just gorgeous!! I definitely want to go back there. I will have to feature an inn in your area for my “Pack your Bags”. YOu’ll have to e=mail me some suggestions.

9. February 13, 2011 / 1:47 pm

I LOVE your attention to detail (ie: nice carrots for your lunch)…Hope you are having a great weekend!

10. February 14, 2011 / 6:40 am

How wonderful to live in such a beautiful place.. your picnic looks so wnderful!!! I’m your newest follower…HHL

Falling Off A High Heeled Life
    attitudeIVlife.blogspot.com

11. February 14, 2011 / 6:47 am

What a nice way to spend an afternoon. We had a beautiful weekend here, as well.

12. February 14, 2011 / 9:40 am

That looks wonderful – a great way to spend an afternoon. Way to make good use of the weather!

13. February 14, 2011 / 2:02 pm

I love your outfit – very similar to what I wore on Friday. I’ve been wanting some Hunter wellies, and I may have to break down and get a pair.

Your picnic is so wonderful. I am just waiting, WAITING for the weather to cooperate. You inspire me.