Easy and Tasty Frozen Treats

Easy and Tasty Frozen Treats

By Saturday evening, the graduates had graduated and our weekend events had come to a happy close. Sunday was ours to with what we wished. A hike in the local state park? A picnic with the doggies? Reading and relaxing in the back yard while sunning our legs? Uh, no. Mother Nature had other ideas. Rain. Wind. Grey skies. It’s June but it looks more like March around here.

So what’s a family to do?

Tori and I decided to dust off some of our favorite kitchen toys and give them a workout.

Our cute little local strawberry patch is open for business. I bought three pints and made some of David Lebovitz’s Strawberry Frozen Yogurt. This recipe is ridiculously easy and tastes ridiculously good. The key is to start with strawberries that are full of flavor and use a good quality Greek yogurt. I used a 2% instead of whole milk. David likes using whole for a richer flavor and creamier texture, but I think it’s just as good with 2%, and it has less fat and calories. I have never tried 0%, but I think it might make the frozen yogurt too crumbly.

**************************************

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt
From David Lebovitz
About 1 quart (1l)

French yogurt is astoundingly good and I suggest you use a good-quality, whole milk or Greek-style yogurt for best results.

1 pound (450g) strawberries, rinsed and hulled
2/3 cup (130g) sugar
optional: 2 teaspoons vodka or kirsch
1 cup (240g) plain whole milk yogurt
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Slice the strawberries into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with the sugar and vodka or kirsch (if using) until the sugar begins to dissolve. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, stirring every so often.

Transfer the strawberries and their juice to a blender or food processor. Add the yogurt and fresh lemon juice. Pulse the machine until the mixture is smooth. If you wish, press mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds.

Chill for 1 hour, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

**************************************

Isn’t that simple? And it tastes wonderful. Trust me. You will love it.

I “like” David on Facebook and boy am I glad. He is constantly posting great links to food related blog posts and French news items. In fact, I found out about the Dominique Strauss-Kahn scandal and that Carla Bruni, First Lady of France, is pregnant from David. He is a wealth of my kind of important information.

Recently, he posted a link to a one ingredient recipe for banana ice cream on.

That is not a typo. ONE ingredient.

As soon as I told Tori about it, her eyes lit up, she grabbed my iPad out of my hands and started peeling bananas.

**************************************

One-ingredient Ice Cream

• Peel your bananas first (Tori used two large bananas and it was enough for the three of us).
• Cut them into small pieces.
• Freeze for just 1-2 hours on a plate (Don’t freeze them too long or they will be too hard to blend)
• Blend, blend, blend – scraping down the bowl when they stick.

**************************************

Please visit the the kitchn website to see the beautiful slide show detailing the step-by-step instructions.

The results: It was tasty, creamy and refreshing, but our bananas lacked flavor. Riper bananas will give the ice cream much more sweetness. Ours were also very big, which makes me think they may have contained less natural sugar.

One-ingredient Ice Cream and Strawberry Frozen Yogurt taste great together.

I enjoyed mine plain, while Tori jazzed hers up with a big scoop of natural creamy peanut butter and mini dark chocolate chips. Bill drizzled chocolate syrup on his.

While we savored our frozen treats, we brainstormed other ways to serve the banana ice cream:

*Honey and toasted almond slivers
*Shredded coconut and small pineapple chunks
*Chocolate syrup, roasted chopped peanuts with a touch of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry
*Raisins and a splash of rum
*Pureed fresh strawberries and a few slices of strawberry for garnish
*Fresh sliced mango with minced candied ginger pieces
*Maple syrup and walnut pieces
*Caramel sauce, pecans and a pinch of fleur de sel

What would you add to the list?

Both recipes are fun to make and much healthier and lower in calories and fat than traditional ice creams. And the One-ingredient Ice Cream is vegan.

What favorite homemade frozen treats do you like to make?
Please share!

1. June 6, 2011 / 8:31 am

sounds and looks so good. I will give this a try…I am loving Greek yogurt.

2. June 6, 2011 / 8:43 am

I don’t have an ice cream maker, but I just might have to try that one-ingredient ice cream!

3. June 6, 2011 / 8:52 am

I will have to try the strawberry one this summer! You know I love my dark chocolate gelato tho :O)

4. June 6, 2011 / 8:53 am

These look fabulous delish will have to get Mr. G. to put his new ice-cream maker to use!!! xo HHL

5. June 6, 2011 / 9:03 am

ooh yum! I’m definitely going to try that banana ice cream idea! Thanks!

6. June 6, 2011 / 9:12 am

Yum, they all sound so delicious. My daughter has made the one ingredient ice cream and it is very tasty! I am going to try the strawberry frozen yogurt but will use coconut milk instead of regular milk yogurt! Love.love.love. David! I am reading his book right now! xxoo 🙂

7. June 6, 2011 / 9:23 am

Yum!!! I have strawberries, I have bananas….now I apparently need to pick up yogurt (but it was on the list already!). Thanks for sharing Adrienne, this week has been all in the high 90’s.

8. June 6, 2011 / 9:25 am

Annie,

I also love Greek yogurt. I have a recipe for homemade yogurt that I have been threatening to make for weeks. It doesn’t look too difficult, but it is time consuming and I have to stay home for about 8 hours straight to do it. You strain it at the end of the process to make it “greek”.

fojoy,

Do you have a really good blender or a food processor (the processor is probably easier)? If so, this ice cream recipe is super easy and tasty too.

9. June 6, 2011 / 9:27 am

Suburban Princess,

Some people remarked in the comment section of the kitchn blog post that they added cocoa powder to make it chocolaty. I may try that next time as I love chocolate and banana together.

However, it is hard to beat dark chocolate gelato 🙂

HHL,

I think I recall that Mr. G got an ice cream maker for his 40th birthday, right? David Lebovitz’s book, “The Perfect Scoop” would make a great companion cookbook for his new toy. It’s full of delicious frozen treat recipes.

10. June 6, 2011 / 9:29 am

Is that a six-burner stove? If so, I am SOOOOOO jealous! That banana ice cream looks ridiculously good. Going to visit my sister-in-law soon. I may just have to borrow her ice cream maker to try this.

11. June 6, 2011 / 9:30 am

L.,

Please let me know how yours turns out if you do try it. Tori is already thinking about her next batch. I think I will be buying lots of bananas this summer. Good thing they are so cheap!

Cathi,

Great idea on the coconut milk yogurt. I have seen that in Whole foods and have yet to try it. Maybe I’ll give that a shot next time.
    We had such powerful rain over the weekend, I am worried that the little strawberries in the patch are destroyed. I am going to run down there today and see if they are open. I am almost out of frozen yogurt!

12. June 6, 2011 / 9:32 am

Kalee,

In the 90’s? I can’t imagine, really I can’t. It’s been so cold and wet here. But we are supposed to have nice weather in the 70’s to mid-80’s later this week. I am sure the two frozen treats would be very refreshing in your hot weather.

13. June 6, 2011 / 9:36 am

Mrs. Stranded,

Yes, it is a six burner stove. And I love it. Before we remodeled, I had a 1970’s electric stove top with one normal sized burner and three mini burners – all in an autumn gold color. I can’t believe that I cooked nearly every day on that thing in order to feed a family of 5 for as long as I did (about 5 years).
    It really does make cooking so much more pleasurable to have six burners and to have gas instead of electric.

By the way, thank you for the follow up message about the ribs for Bill’s birthday. It’s not for a couple of weeks so I still have time! Feel free to email me if you want to chat: a_shubin (at) comcast (dot) net.

14. June 6, 2011 / 9:54 am

Uber jealous!!! We have a gas stove, but only four measly burners. I keep telling hubbie that our next house needs to have an off-the-hook kitchen. Lucky for me, he agrees! Thanks for your email address! Mine is MrsStranded(at)gmail(dot)com

15. June 6, 2011 / 10:17 am

The recipes sound so delicious! I’m bookmarking this page : )

16. June 6, 2011 / 10:45 am

I’m salivating just reading this post. My fresh pineapple and gold kiwis that I was just about to eat, no longer seem so appealing 😉

17. June 6, 2011 / 11:00 am

Mrs. Stranded,

I think the kitchen is the most important room in our house. It’s where we all congregate and create and enjoy food and one another. I appreciate having a well-equipped kitchen so much. Bill and I always say it was the best investment we’ve ever made to this house. I will email you – thank you for the address 🙂

Marie,

Great! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Vanessa,

Your pineapple and kiwis would go nicely on top of a scoop of one-ingredient ice cream, yes?

18. June 6, 2011 / 11:15 am

Looks like I have to get an ice cream maker after all…they look delicious! Love from London xo

19. June 6, 2011 / 11:25 am

Yum, what a great post. This looks delicious. I really like frozen yogurt and have never tried to make it myself. Great ideas, definitely would like strawberry.

xoDale
    I have a fashion blog here in San Francisco
    www.savvyspice.blogspot.com

20. June 6, 2011 / 11:43 am

Mademoiselle Poirot,

I have had my ice cream maker since the mid-90’s but I rarely make ice cream! I make lots of sorbets in the summer and tons of frozen yogurt since I found David Lebovitz’s recipes. If you like frozen goodies, then an ice cream maker is worth the investment!

Dale,

How fun to have a fellow blogger so close by! And I read from your profile that you grew up not far from me. I am in Kenwood, just outside Santa Rosa.
    Thank you for following…I will do the same on your blog.

21. June 6, 2011 / 12:41 pm

We haven’t drug out our ice cream maker in years since hubby has to watch his cholesterol. I might have to try out both of these recipes!

22. June 6, 2011 / 12:51 pm

Linda,

I thought that your daughter, who I know is vegan, would really like the banana ice cream. And one reader/fellow blogger, Cathi is going to try the frozen yogurt with coconut milk yogurt to make it non-dairy. I will give that a shot myself next time I make a batch.

23. June 6, 2011 / 1:29 pm

That banana icecream looks UNBELIEVABLE. And by that I mean I literally cant believe it! Tell me again, is it really really good?
    T x

24. June 6, 2011 / 1:39 pm

Miss T,

I think it’s really good, but I did not have high expectation since I knew it was just a blended frozen banana. If you think it’s going to taste like Haagen Daz, you will be disappointed.
    I was pleasantly surprised by the smooth texture – that is much like ice cream.
    As far as flavor goes, I think it all depends on the ripeness of the bananas. Ours were abnormally large and not very ripe – not green, but no brown spots either. I am going to try making it again with some ripe bananas and see if they produce more sweetness.
    Also, the consistency is a bit slimier than ice cream and I think you have to eat it right away. I don’t know if it keeps. I will have to save some next time to find out for myself.
    Please let me know if you try it!

25. June 6, 2011 / 6:37 pm

Delicious looking. We have an ice cream maker and have never used it.

26. June 6, 2011 / 10:28 pm

yum! i must try this 🙂 thanks for sharing

xo galmeetsglam.com

27. June 6, 2011 / 10:29 pm

YUM! I’m headed over to ‘like’ David’s page now 🙂

28. June 7, 2011 / 12:38 am

Adrienne, it looks delicious. Thanks for posting the recipe. I’ll see if i can re create it myself 🙂

29. June 8, 2011 / 10:59 am

(drooling like Homer Simpson): banana ice cream and peanut butter….

We keep a supply of frozen bananas in the freezer so Mr. Cupcake can make protein smoothies. And now I know how to use them up prior to our road trip next week. Off to buy peanut butter…