From Busy Bees to Lazy Slugs

From Busy Bees to Lazy Slugs

Saturday was a long and industrious day at The Rich Life. So industrious that my back is almost out, my legs are sore as if I’d completed a boot camp style workout, and my pretty manicure I bragged about on Friday is ruined. But I am not complaining (okay, maybe a little…I really liked that nail color), we accomplished a lot!

Bill and I started out Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m. with lots of yard work, mostly in the front yard. I won’t bore you with the details, but here is the finished product.

Once the front was spruced up, we tackled the backyard which included tending to my Mother’s Day lettuce and herb garden. It’s growing like gangbusters! What are also growing like gangbusters are weeds. Lots and lots of weeds.

The garden was covered with weeds that are vine-like.
They crawl all over the place, sucking up nutrients.

Bill and I dug out the weeds

tall people + crouching in a small space + for one hour = sore back

and harvested two heads of lettuce, some mustard greens, curly parsley and basil.

I washed and wrapped the lettuce to keep it crisp and prevent wilting.

I did a post about this last year.

The parsley was washed next, then chopped finely and made into Lebanese tabbouleh,

I made a quick batch of fresh hummus, toasted some pita chips  and prepared a health and satisfying lunch.

By this time it was about 1:30. We were tempted to call it a day, but somehow, we both knew we weren’t done yet. It’s like Newton says, “Objects in motion tend to stay in motion”. And in motion we stayed!

Since our pantry is, once again, completely disorganized and driving me batty, we chose to take that on next. We wheeled out the racks into the kitchen, took every single thing down, threw away old and unused items, rearranged cookbooks, cleaned the walls and the floors, and wiped down the racks.

During the purge, I found this big bottle of sea salt

that expired in 2004 (how does salt expire?).

Instead of tossing it, I want to make a sea salt body scrub. I’ll have to browse the web for a good recipe, but if any of you have one you’d like to share, I’d be thrilled to have it!

While I organized and reassembled the pantry, Bill washed, or rather, ‘detailed’ my car inside and out. It is pristine! It hasn’t looked this clean since I first saw it parked in our driveway Christmas morning wearing a big bow nearly six years ago. What a special treat!

After completing various other tedious chores around the house, it was time to make dinner. The long day was finally winding down. This recipe in Sunset magazine has been calling my name for several weeks now.

During my kitchen clean out, I happened upon my tart pan. I defrosted a pie crust, washed and trimmed some fresh asparagus, sliced some good quality mozzarella and went to work.

Once dinner was over and the kitchen was cleaned, Bill prepared me a well-deserved hot bubble bath, after which I crawled into bed and read my Edith Piaf book, eventually falling deeply asleep.

***********************************************

Sunday was a totally different day for Bill and me. We went from busy bees to lazy slugs overnight. It used to be me who was in charge of putting on Father’s Day, but now that the kids that are older and employed, I willingly let them handle it.

For breakfast, Tori and Kayla treated their dad and grandpa to a Father’s Day pancake breakfast at our local volunteer fire station. Later, the girls planned their menus for lunch and dinner, went to the market (and paid for it!), prepared all the food, and cleaned up afterward. They made all of Bill and his dad’s favorites. For lunch they served salami sandwiches, homemade cole slaw and barbeque chips. And for dinner, the menu included New York steak, homemade chocolate mousse, corn on the cob, baked potatoes, homemade apple streusel coffee cake, and salad from our garden for dinner.

I didn’t have to do a thing, except laze around with Bill and my father-in-law, eating and reading, fixing my nails, and resting my back and legs. I think I like Father’s Day!

How was your weekend?
Were you a busy bee? A lazy slug? A bit of both?

1. June 20, 2011 / 10:23 am

Holy crow I am exhausted just reading that!!!

Sounds like you had a good weekend!

2. June 20, 2011 / 10:57 am

What a weekend! There is nothing better than a bit of house and garden feng shui. It must be so lovely to eat the food you grow in your garden. The lunch you prepared looked superb. Fifi

3. June 20, 2011 / 11:03 am

You have a beautiful yard! And oh how I wish I could cook like you can, sigh.

4. June 20, 2011 / 11:13 am

I’m exhuasted from reading that too!!! The front yard looks GORGEOUS! And that asparagus tart looks and sounds delicious. Believe it or not, I don’t have a tart pan and now I want to buy one to make this recipe! I’m so glad you liked the Blueberry Buckle 🙂 So happy to hear everyone had a nice Father’s Day.

5. June 20, 2011 / 11:18 am

Add me to the list of exhausted after reading about your Saturday! But your front yard is beautiful! And that asparagus dish looks yummy. My weekend fell into the Lazy Slug category. Jim worked Sunday, so we didn’t do Father’s Day with his day. However I celebrated the day reading The Help in my hammock (my new best friend!)

6. June 20, 2011 / 11:21 am

Salt absolutely doesnt go ‘off’ It may lose some of its mineral content but provided it has been kept dry for the last 8 years, its a-ok.
    um, hello? that pie looks amazing!
    T x

7. June 20, 2011 / 11:40 am

Suburban Princess,

I was exhausting to do too! And exhausting to write 🙂

Fifi B,

It is very satisfying to eat the food we grow. Part of me wishes we had planted more – we have the space – but we weren’t committed to the maintenance this summer so it’s probably for the best.

8. June 20, 2011 / 11:43 am

Marie,

Thank you! We are very proud of our front yard – must have curb appeal, you know!

Mrs. S,

The asparagus is super duper simple. I think it looks better in the long rectangle tart pan, but I didn’t want to buy a new pan just for that. Plus, the whole storage thing…

I really love your buckle recipe. I want to try it with our local strawberries next – maybe tonight as we’ve nearly eaten all the blueberry buckle!

9. June 20, 2011 / 11:45 am

Jenny,

How wonderful to lay in a hammock and read with no one around to interrupt you!
    I am reading my Edith Piaf book still and just got an email telling me it’s due back on Thursday! Now I am under pressure to hurry up!

Miss T.,

I had a feeling this expiry date was a farce. I have loads of sea salt and think I will try making some salt scrub regardless.
    The pie is quite wonderful – and so, so easy. When asparagus is in season where you live, give it a go!

10. June 20, 2011 / 12:09 pm

What a delicious weekend! I love vegetable tarts and pies. I’m surprised there was blueberry buckle leftover for breakfast; I would have finished that off at 2 AM. 🙂 This is why you have thinner thighs than I do!

11. June 20, 2011 / 12:14 pm

Try the Shellac Manicure. It is amazing and a true lifesaver!

M

12. June 20, 2011 / 12:27 pm

Rebekah,

I am fortunate, I guess, to suffer from horrible dreams if I eat sweets too close to bedtime. My husband is the same way. I think that fact has saved me many late night calories over the years!

Marcie,

My friend Debra (has the blog Bodeci Body) gets shellac manicures. I am concerned that it will make my nails peel as I had Sticky (a polish adhering substance) put on once and it destroyed my nails, as mine are so thin. I will google it and see if that occurs with shellac-ing too.

13. June 20, 2011 / 12:34 pm

Those girls are simply wonderful! What a great father’s day.
    My weekend looked a lot like your Saturday…only indoors because it was pouring rain. Although on a trip to the garage, I noticed our tree beds are also FULL of weeds…so that will be my job once (if) the rain stops.

14. June 20, 2011 / 12:47 pm

fojoy,

They are wonderful girls. We really lucked out.

It sounds as though you were able to accomplish lots toward completing your renovation.

Weeds are nasty, pesky little devils – polish chippers that they are!

15. June 20, 2011 / 1:37 pm

Is that your front garden? In this country – where space is rather restricted – we call that the village green 😀 Anyway, I’m very impressed by all the things you’ve managed to do – wow – and I do like your idea of using that salt as a body scrub.

Laduree in London apparently doesn’t let you take pictures either (I know the one in Harrods definitely doesn’t) but for some reason they were ok with it when I asked…So, next time you’re over here, I’d be happy to show you all the sites where you’re allowed to snap away to your heart’s content 😉

Have a great week, Love from London xo

16. June 20, 2011 / 2:43 pm

My weekend was not nearly so productive as yours. Admiring the asparagus tart and going to read your previous post on lettuce, since I’m overwhelmed with it this year.

17. June 20, 2011 / 3:25 pm

Your yard looks beautiful and reaps the benefit of all the hard work you put into it. I tried the asparagus and cheese tart and it was AWESOME! Thank you so much for tipping us off. The blueberry desert is next.:-)

18. June 20, 2011 / 4:22 pm

Wow what a busy day!

It is so rewarding when you can stand back and admire all the hard work…your front garden looks very lush and the grass is very tidy too.

I think you two make a great team…so much more can be accomplished when you have an extra pair of hands.

Rest up now!

19. June 20, 2011 / 5:10 pm

Wow, you put Martha Stewart to shame with all you got done in a weekend. I want to hear about making a body scrub with the expired salt (I’m with you, salt expires?). Your yard is so lovely. I am so jealous. I’m in Brooklyn so I have a stoop with 3 planters that contain pansies, violas and begonias that I tend to religiously!

20. June 20, 2011 / 5:45 pm

What a lovely weekend. Your yard is gorgeous and your labor has not been in vain. That’s what we did today and I am so pleased with how it is looking. But I really wish I loved gardening. xxBliss

21. June 20, 2011 / 6:16 pm

Wow, this is such a great post. I can’t believe how nice your yard is, it must take a lot of work. I love how you have your own garden too, one day I would like that. Sounds like you had a nice fathers day celebration and your cooking has inspired me to at least learn to make a good salad. 🙂
    xoDale
    Thanks for stopping by

22. June 20, 2011 / 6:20 pm

Mademoiselle Poirot,

Yes, that is our front yard. I used to live in San Francisco with no yard, not even a hanging flower pot. Then I moved to the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge where I had a little patio with a potted plant or two. When I met my husband and he asked me to marry him, it was clear I would be moving to Sonoma county. I told him that if we were doing this country thing, I wanted to have some space – and some dogs and chickens. I have all of that now – and I love it all. But it’s a lot of work!

I am looking for a good recipe online for the body salt scrub. I am thinking lemon would be a great summery refreshing scrub.

The Laduree in Paris – Champs-Élysées location – scolded some American tourists for snapping photos. That was enough for me to keep my camera in my bag! Good for you for getting the okay to snap away. Your photos are gorgeous. I will take you up on your offer when I get to London, one of these days. xo, A

23. June 20, 2011 / 6:24 pm

Terri,

I, too, am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of lettuce we have. It’s all ready at the same time! I need to be more mindful about spacing out the planting cycle. Otherwise, it’s all or nothing in the salad department.

Jeanne,

Did you really make the tart today? You are a go getter! Sometimes it takes me weeks to get around to making something I saw on a blog. I am glad you liked it. I used mozzarella because it’s all I had, but I want to try it with the teleme. Which cheese did you use?
    I hope you like the blueberry buckle as much as I do. I want to make strawberry next – possibly tomorrow night.
    Thanks for the great comment – I told my husband about you making the tart!

24. June 20, 2011 / 6:28 pm

Hostess,

I do find gardening and yard work gratifying. With all the rain we had earlier this month, our yard is looking more lush than usual for this time of year.

I took it easy today too – so I am fully rested from overdoing it Saturday.

Jill,

I am still looking for the ideal recipe for a body scrub. Perhaps I will try making a few different ones to see which I like best.
    I mentioned in a previous comment that up until I met my husband, I had no yard, or patch of grass or anything. Now, we have more than enough space. Sometimes Bill gets overwhelmed with all the yard work – but we are too cheap to pay someone else to do it.

25. June 20, 2011 / 6:31 pm

Bliss,

You have a big yard too, I believe. What ever happened with that big tree that got such a bad boo-boo a few weeks back?

I wish I loved gardening as well. I like it in small doses.

Hope you are well!

xo, A

26. June 20, 2011 / 7:44 pm

When the pictures of the food started rolling in, I groaned so loud Mystery Photographer thought something was wrong. I MUST make some of these (especially the tart) once we’ve moved. Inspiring!

My weekend was too productive, and despite exhaustion, Monday was the same. I guess I can’t wait until we’ve moved, because that’s when I’ll start feeling rested. Still, it’s nice to be moving forward. I’m excited!

27. June 20, 2011 / 7:49 pm

WOW! You guys certainly were busy bees! I have a bunch of stuff I need to get done around the house this week, I think I’m going to bookmark this post and re-read as needed for inspiration (I am not joking about this).
    And your front yard is amazing! x

28. June 20, 2011 / 8:07 pm

Your yard looks beautiful, you definitely did some spring cleaning at home. I, on the other hand, spent my entire weekend in bed. I didn’t really celebrate father’s day cause i haven’t seen my papa in years

xoxo Hermine

29. June 20, 2011 / 9:08 pm

AA,

You must have been hungry! This tart is so simple to make. You must give it a try once you are settled in your new home.

I am so pleased to hear you are getting excited about the move!

Sara,

You are so funny…it is rare I can be an inspiration for getting things done. It’s usually me who looks for the motivation in others!

Hermine,

I am so sorry you’ve not seen your papa in so long. I know you live very far away from your family while going to university. I am sure they are so proud of all your admirable accomplishments. xo, A

30. June 20, 2011 / 9:29 pm

Wow you did so much! All of that cooking alone would’ve tired me out – the food all looks and sounds so delicious! 🙂

-j
    sorelle in style

31. June 21, 2011 / 12:12 am

I can’t believe you cooked after all the gardening and kitchen make-over.
    Cooking is exhausting, too, no?

I like the picture, you and Bill working through the kitchen. Mr Paula needs to be on his own, I would love to to some de-cluttering and cleaning together though.

We share the same taste, I love tabouleh, too. mjamm.

32. June 21, 2011 / 3:48 am

The tart was so yummy I had only one small piece left…my husband jus loved it. I used Monterey Jack and French Brie. I had never heard of teleme cheese and did a google search. These were the two substitution that they recommended. I did not have mozzarella or else I would have used that. Thanks again for such an easy but delish recipe!

33. June 21, 2011 / 4:48 am

What a lovely way to spend Sunday after all the garden work. Mr. G and I worked on our gardens, the yard work seems never ending. Mr. G, invested in a riding lawn mower to tackle the 2 acres around our hoem of grass … (I think he may be thinking giving up the landscapers was a bit pre-mature, but certainly more budget friendly if he does it himself).

We also enjoy infused water, during the summer months we try to keep lemon infused, cucumber and strawberry infused water pitchers in the fridge.

Your cucumber slices and fresh mint, sounds most refreshing!! wishing you a fabulous day my friend!! xo HHL

34. June 21, 2011 / 6:44 am

le sorelle,

Welcome and thank you for commenting.
    It was all very tiring – and cooking on top of everything else added to my fatigue, but once I get going, it’s hard for me to stop!

Paula,

Cooking is exhausting. I have to be in the mood to cook multiple dishes. Usually, I am motivated by the desire to save food from spoiling. My asparagus only had a couple days left before it would go to compost and the parsley had to be made right away or I’d forget about it (I know how I work).

Bill is very good about team work…he did the scrubbing and cleaning and sweeping while I organized and de-cluttered. It worked out great!

Tabbouleh is so refreshing in the summer…I could eat it everyday. I saw that you recently made some yourself.

35. June 21, 2011 / 6:49 am

Jeanne,

I told Bill that you used brie and jack and he said that sounded better to him. He told me my tart was a bit bland and I have to agree that is was “light” ( I would not call it “bland”) I have more asparagus and another crust. I’ll try a teleme or your mix next time.
    Thank you for getting back to me on the cheese question!

HHL,

Two acres! That is a lot of space. We have 1/2 and acre and it seems like a huge area to care for.
    My parents had a riding mower when I was a kid. Mowing the lawn was my job. It was fun to drive the mower – a precursor to driving a car.

I have not thought of strawberry infused water. I happen to have some strawberries – I’ll try that today! Thank you for the tip! xo,A