Positively Friday: Final Edition

Positively Friday: Final Edition

It’s time to say farewell to Positively Friday. I’ve become bored with it and so, probably, have you.

Since beginning this weekly series of posts on March 4th (originally called “Smiles”), I have become much more aware of the good stuff in my everyday life. In 17 weeks, I have trained myself to be on the lookout for positive occurrences, thereby focussing less on the negatives. Thinking positively is now a habit; it’s natural. Positively Friday has done what I wanted it to do, and has run its course.

Now on to the final Positively Friday:

1) Bill’s birthday dinner was a big success. Before dinner, we enjoyed a bottle of faux champagne-like beverage (non-alcoholic) called Noon to Midnight that I found at Whole Foods. It’s interesting and refreshing, but it takes some getting used to. I would buy it again to bring to or serve at a party, but it’s not a drink I would buy on a regular basis.

2) I made Bill his favorite pasta dish, Linguine and Clam Sauce. I bought two pounds of Littleneck Clams and made a garlicky clammy broth. He LOVED it. He even grabbed the camera to take a picture without being prompted. And he’s already asked me to make it again. Here is the recipe I used…sans chorizo.

3) Out of the three gifts I gave him, he kept the coffee firefighter travel mug, I exchanged the belt, and the hat went back. Not a great result, but better than every Christmas around here when 90% of his gifts from me are returned. At least he was happy with his mug.

4) While returning the belt at Marshall’s, I found this top:

$16.99

And this t-shirt:

$5.99

And this ironing board cover.

$9.99

5) Tori and Bill made dinner last night. We had wild salmon with an Asian rub, brown rice, grilled asparagus and Tori made up her own Asian slaw. Ah….a night off from cooking.

It was a lovely evening so we ate al fresco while the sun started to set.
All of it was delicious, especially Tori’s slaw. If anyone would like the recipe, I am sure she’d be thrilled to share it. Just ask me.
7) Somehow, this happened yesterday morning.
Double decker doggies!
I hope you all have a spectacular Friday!
What’s been positive about your week?
xo, A

1. June 24, 2011 / 6:39 am

Thanks for the plug! Sounds like you had a great week!

Your dogs are so cute!!

2. June 24, 2011 / 7:25 am

Dinner looks delicious and I would love Tori’s slaw recipe!
    Your positive Fridays are not and never could be boring to me but I know how much fun it is to keep changing the format of blogging.
    Have fun!

3. June 24, 2011 / 8:00 am

I find the vow to resist purchases a great one. To some degree I can’t do that–we’ll need things for the new place AND we plan to go to Vegas in August, which means a bit of shopping. Still, in other ways, I think it’s perfect for me. I imagine most of the summer being a time to get adjusted to my new environment, which should make me cautious about purchasing any new clothing and such.

Positively Friday has been wonderful to read all these weeks, and I’m glad it’s purpose has been fulfilled. Congratulations! xo

4. June 24, 2011 / 8:42 am

Positively Friday has enjoyed a good run! I always liked reading it. It is nice that it was an exercise that helped you be more aware of the good things, big or small, in your life. I love the dog picture!! xxBliss

5. June 24, 2011 / 8:52 am

I have enjoyed your Positively Friday posts and am glad they made you recognize the positives things each week. I would love Tori’s slaw recipe, it looks delish! Like Bill, Jim is a hard one to buy presents for. He doesn’t want much. He usually gets a lot of t-shirts, since that boy LIVES in t-shirts! The doggie picture is so sweet. When Molly was just a itty bitty thing, she used to lay ON TOP of Sierra. Literally! I even have a picture somewhere. Have a wonderful weekend! xo

6. June 24, 2011 / 9:10 am

I too enjoyed your Friday posts but if you are tired of it I’m sure you will think of a replacement. It sounds like you got something positive out of it. (but so did your readers) 🙂

There is a joke in our household, when I tell someone what my husband got me for my birthday or Christmas, he will correct me and say “you mean what you bought yourself”? He gave up on me a long time ago. But on the other hand, he is a tough one as well. Usually it’s not the gift, it’s just that he thinks I spent too much. (and we aren’t talking THAT much money either)

I must get to Marshalls, I love your ironing board cover and I need one desperately. Cute tops!

The slaw looks similar to one I made recently, I have another version I want to try. The whole meal looks great…how nice that Tori cooks for you. Amanda was always a baker but now her and her BF cook up a storm.

7. June 24, 2011 / 11:28 am

Your positively Fridays have kept me thinking of the good and forgetting about the bad, so they’ve served a purpose for me as well. But I can completely understand getting bored with something!

Those 2 meals look delicious… and of course we’d love Tori’s slaw recipe!

That last photo cracked me up. I love my animals. Today has been a trial (my dachshund has some bug that has had me cleaning my house all day), but the other night the two dogs and cat were all curled up together and I about died it was so cute.

8. June 24, 2011 / 11:30 am

I loved your Positively Friday posts and I’m sad to see them go. I looked forward to them every week. I’m glad you got what you wanted from them, though. Looks like you found some great things at Marshalls! And I’m so happy to hear Bill’s birthday dinner was a success. If Tori wouldn’t mind sharing her slaw recipe, I’d like to have it. Looks delish! And don’t feel too badly about returning some of Bill’s gifts – while guys claim they’re easy to shop for, they’re not! I struggle every birthday and Christmas. Glad he liked the mug! Hope you have a positively wonderful weekend!

9. June 24, 2011 / 11:41 am

I have loved Positively Fridays. I’m glad they’ve worked for you and I’m looking forward to what you share next.

10. June 24, 2011 / 1:32 pm

Yes I would like Tori’s recipe please. It looks yummy. Love the double decker dog sandwich too. So darn cute! Did I ever tell you about the Argentinian sparkling wine I like? It is called New Age and it’s great over ice with a piece of fruit thrown in. I get it at Lee’s Liquor here but I’ve seen it in other places. Such a good summer drink. xo

11. June 24, 2011 / 1:46 pm

Oh, I love your new ribbon. And all of the food pics make my tummy growl. If I had an ironing board cover like the one you picture, I might actually enjoy ironing more.

12. June 24, 2011 / 2:18 pm

@Suburban Princess Of course! I want everyone to see how great your ribbons are…I really can’t wait to get mine. I am thinking of all the fun things I can do with it.

Have a terrific night tonight at your cocktail party. Wish I could come 🙂

13. June 24, 2011 / 2:21 pm

@hostess of the humble bungalow I’ve already given Tori a heads-up that she will need to write down her recipe before she forgets. It is the ideal summer slaw – refreshing, crunchy and not oily or watery like traditional cole slaw often is.
    If I ever miss Positively Friday or feel like I am getting off track with positive thinking, I will resurrect it. That’s what is so great about writing a blog – a “volunteer” unpaid blog – you can change your mind if you want to!
    I hope you have a fantastic weekend with your husband. Looking forward to reading about it soon!

14. June 24, 2011 / 2:26 pm

@Aesthetic Alterations I ended up removing the part about a self-imposed spending freeze…and the project 333…and eating whole foods, etc. because I need to mull it over a bit. There are things that I want to add to my wardrobe and I am so hard to fit, that passing up a classic item that fits me would be criminal! On the other hand, I need to stop buying impulse pieces that just sit in my closet.

I didn’t know you were going to Vegas. There are direct flights from Vegas to Sonoma county…in case you feel the urge to come for a visit (hint, hint).

15. June 24, 2011 / 2:31 pm

@steppingmywaytobliss Aren’t Daisy and Coco silly? I was vacuuming and threw the football print bed on to our bed, and I guess it landed on the red dog bed….Coco hates when the fan is on, so she buries herself under what ever she can find. Our dogs are a constant source of entertainment. I am sure your Rockefeller is too.

16. June 24, 2011 / 2:36 pm

@Jen-uinely Inspired I’ll get that recipe up this weekend, I hope.
    Bill is so dang fussy about clothing…about anything really. I’m usually better off taking him away somewhere instead of buying him something. He can’t take that back! How cute that Molly would lie on Sierra! Dogs do the cutest and silliest things.

17. June 24, 2011 / 2:54 pm

@LRS4AMANDA
    Someday I may resume PF, it was fun and I enjoyed it, but I felt a bit restricted. There were times that I wanted to write about something else, but felt committed to PF.
    Right now I want to focus on being healthy, saving money (something that has gone off track since returning from Europe last fall), and streamlining my wardrobe.
    It sounds like your husband and mine are very similar when it comes to gifts.

Out of all the discount-type chain clothing and house ware stores, I like Marshall’s the best. TJ Maxx has too many professional clothes and our Ross is just filthy and totally disorganized.
    The leopard top I posted is way cuter in person. I’m looking forward to wearing it soon.
    The ironing board cover makes ironing fun! I ironed a pair of pants this morning just so I could try it out. They had some toile and damask prints too.

Tori loves to cook – she is all about watching cooking shows on TV (she’s been doing that since she was about 12), paging through cookbooks and cooking magazines and is always willing to cook a meal or bake something. She is going to make some man very happy one day.
    I think that is cute that Amanda and her beau cook together. Is he also vegan?

18. June 24, 2011 / 3:05 pm

@Kate If I start finding that I am being a Debbie Downer and focussing too much on the negatives, I will bring PF back right away!

Tori said she would write down the recipe and I will try to get it up this weekend…

Sorry your dachshund is under the weather. I hate when my pets are ill. I feel helpless.
    My cat would never in a million years curl up with our dogs. That’s sweet that yours all get along.

19. June 24, 2011 / 3:18 pm

@Mrs. Stranded Thank you for saying that about PF. I started thinking that perhaps I was being too repetitive. There are only so many pictures of flowers and dogs that I can post before I bore everyone!

Bill always tells me not to buy him a thing…but that’s no fun for him – or me. I like to give. One of these days I am bound to get it right. And you are right, at least he liked the mug…and the belt I got when I returned the other is passable, so that’s another win.

I hope you also have a positively wonderful weekend! xo, A

20. June 24, 2011 / 3:21 pm

@Argentée (Oh Jolie Laide) Next, I am trying to improve my health and fitness, save money, and focus on a wardrobe I like – while trying to save money. Is that even possible??
    I hope you have a great weekend camping in the Redwoods.

21. June 24, 2011 / 3:28 pm

@what’s her bucket I’ll tell Tori that lots of you asked for her recipe when she gets home from work tonight. Hopefully, she won’t drag her feet and I can get it posted this weekend.

I do remember you telling me about the Argentinean wine. I’ll have to look for it next time I’m buying wine. Thank you for reminding me. I hope you have a great weekend. xo. A

22. June 24, 2011 / 3:30 pm

@Terri Isn’t the ribbon adorable? I think all of her ribbons are so fun.
    Now that I have my new ironing board cover, I do enjoy ironing more. But I have a feeling the newness will wear off and I’ll once again dislike to iron.

23. June 24, 2011 / 4:38 pm

I am going to miss your “Positively Friday” editions. It always tickled me how you were able to find such good and joy in most things. I am a little resistant to change, so I applaud you for shaking things up.

OK, I have to add that being a frequent reader of this blog for several months now, I am simply amazed with Tori’s cooking ability! At her age, she is fearless. Between the cooking and acting I think you guys better watch out because she is going places!

Pic of the dogs was adorable Adrienne. Have a great weekend.

XO

24. June 24, 2011 / 8:29 pm

Adrienne! I don’t always have time to check your blog but I know that when I do I will always get some good advice, a little chuckle, or that I knew you better in high school! Xoxo,
    Cindy acord

25. June 24, 2011 / 8:32 pm

Hi Adrienne,

To answer your question…Amanda’s BF is definitely not vegan. He grew up in a family of meat eaters, although he supports Amanda’s lifestyle and will eat vegan food, just not exclusively. He has liked everything vegan I have cooked for them so far! I am keeping a log of recipes that I have tried out on them so I have something to refer to when they come over for dinner. (and for us as well) 🙂

26. June 25, 2011 / 1:50 am

Yes please to slaw recipe. I buy it readymade from the supermarket and I know I’m missing out on something special!

Also, double decker doggies and beyond cute. Just adorable. Thank you for the photo.

27. June 25, 2011 / 8:41 am

@Julia Isn’t Tori something else? She never ceases to impress us with her many talents. I agree with you that she is going places in life. We can all say “We knew her when…”

I hope you have a great weekend too! xo, A

28. June 25, 2011 / 8:43 am

@cindy acordCindy! What a wonderful surprise! Thank you so much for commenting.
    How are you liking your Hurricane candle holders? I was just thinking about you – and them – the other day.

Thanks again for stopping by! xo, A

29. June 25, 2011 / 8:48 am

@LRS4AMANDA
    That is yet another good sign that Amanda picked a good guy – someone who will support their mate’s way of eating shows acceptance. And isn’t that what we want in our relationships?
    Bill has always been a good sport and gets behind what ever whim I try. He stayed true to my 30 days of vegetarianism and never once strayed even though it’s not his thing.

Great idea keeping a catalogue of recipes they both like…that will come in handy for them and for you.

30. June 25, 2011 / 8:51 am

@FionaTori’s Asian slaw has an oil and vinegar base – no dairy. It is very healthy and quite refreshing (although I know you are chilly down there in NZ as it is winter).

The DDD (double decker doggies) are so funny. I love when dogs, like your Atlas, do cute things on their own. They have no idea that they are being adorable.

31. June 26, 2011 / 5:40 am

what a fabulous fun week, you have had! It is amazing when I brain starts focusing on the positive things around us … I’ve been writing in my Gratitude journal at the of each day (or weekly.. in some cases) and it has made a huge impact for me. I’m so happy that your Positively Friday posts worked for you. And I’m certain you inspired many readers to also look at the “positive” in their lives!!!

What a scrumptious pasta dish … I love seafood and pasta .. this I’m going to have to try it!!

I love how you had the ribbon printed … I may have to get SP to make me a similar one for my handmade goodies… I ordered some ribbon to tie our up coming BBQ guest treats and she did a great job on it!!!

Wishing you a fabulous week-end ..HHL

32. June 26, 2011 / 5:54 pm

It’s great that thinking positive is now a habit.

Your dinners looked grand as well as your new finds. Love your ribbon.

We’re back from the beach so it will be tough to get back to reality and childcare of my own during the day.