Films, Food, and Ferronnerie

Films, Food, and Ferronnerie

The icks are almost gone and I am mostly back to normal. Thankfully, it was a short lived illness, I don’t have a boss to call in sick to, and Tori is old enough to take care of herself.

I remember those dreaded calls to my boss, hoping she’d believe that I was truly sick (admittedly, occasionally I would fib) and worrying about the backlog of work that awaited me when I returned to the office. I also recall when the kids were little, trudging along regardless of how badly I felt; not able to get adequate rest because young children’s needs don’t disappear simply because their parent is under the weather.

Now that I am older, I’m not needed as much as I once was and am able to rest quietly. I chose to entertain myself with some Netflix DVDs that I have had for several weeks (not very budget savvy of me to keep so long).

First, at Rebekah’s suggestion, I watched the three hour PBS mini-series South Riding. It was outstanding: the story line, the acting, the scenery and the wardrobe. Like Rebekah, I also recommend this DVD.  If you’re interested, you can read more about it here or the through the link above.

Yesterday morning, I started off my day watching the 1992 version of Wuthering Heights. I’ve never seen any adaptation of this novel nor have I read the book (practically a crime for an English major). I found it positively enthralling.

Juliette Binoche plays a likable and believable Cathy and Catherine. She is an incredibly beautiful woman. Her bone structure and creamy complexion are enviable.

Ralph Fiennes adeptly plays a tormented, vengeful and often scary Mr. Heathcliff who is rugged, strong, emotional and more than a bit alluring.

Finally, I ended my film-a-thon with Coco and Igor. Catherine at Aesthetic Alterations wrote a post about this movie and I can identify with how, after seeing the movie, she wanted to wear only black and white from now on and own a strand of long pearls (or two, or five).

This film is truly a delight for the eyes. While the plot is just okay, the actress who plays Coco, Anna Mouglalis is mesmerizing, Coco’s house in the country is stunning and her wardrobe is the definition of chic sophistication.

I found this YouTube clip of Anna and her co-star Mads Mikkelsen in an interview for the movie. Listen to her surprisingly deep and raspy voice.

Last night, I began feeling like my old self again and made homemade pesto with the basil from our herb and lettuce garden that I harvested on Sunday.

I found this recipe on Simply Recipes (my all-time favorite recipe blog). It is very easy, and makes an excellent pesto – really superb. I served it over perciatelli noodles (fat spaghetti-shaped hollow pasta, similar to bucatini) and topped with a few toasted pine nuts and freshly grated parmesan cheese. I don’t know if it is proper to serve pesto over perciatelli, but we thought it was a good idea and gobbled it up.

Bill went crazy over this dish. He said it’s just as good as his birthday linguine and clams meal from last month. He may have Russian blood, but he’s got an Italian palate.

I’m going to actually go out into the world today: the market, library, dry cleaners, and post office. And I need to pick up a few things for Homemade Friday.

While I had hoped to feature a little knitted something-or-other on Friday, it’s not to be. I have been making some mistakes, what they are is a mystery to me, that leave gaping holes. I have unraveled my work three times now in frustration. Thankfully, I have another class this weekend which should help me discover what I’m doing wrong.

***************************************************

Please take a moment to see the incredible wardrobe Vivienne of The Vivienne Files put together for me based on my first and only Hermès scarf, a burgundy Ferronnerie.

The color and style choices she selected are magnificent! Vivienne introduced fantastic colors I would never have thought of wearing with my scarf. She has such a unique talent and a keen eye for fashion.

Be sure to see her previous posts. She’s has been very busy creating wardrobes for a variety of women. You won’t want to miss these gorgeous and unique posts. She is still accepting requests for wardrobes. If you are interested, send her an inquiry in a comment.

1. July 20, 2011 / 10:34 am

I just saw your “scarf capsule”…I LOVE IT!! Some fantastic ideas.

Your pesto/pasta looks delicious. I am eager to try this recipe.

I recently saw “South Riding” too. I really like the acting, the time period, but the story left me feeling a little empty at the end.

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Isn’t it nice to be able to heal without all of life’s other stressors…one great thing about being older. xxBliss

2. July 20, 2011 / 10:39 am

Thanks for more movie recommendations – I can always add more to my Netflix queue! And thanks too for the kind review of your wardrobe I built for you; it was a labor of love.

3. July 20, 2011 / 11:25 am

Glad you are feeling better. Love the wardrobe suggestions to go with your gorgeous Hermes scarf! What a fun idea. I only have one H scarf too, 70cm Washington’s Carriage in Purple/Ink/Turquoise colorway. Too hot to wear now, can’t wait for fall to wear it again. I will look for the Coco & Igor movie. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. July 20, 2011 / 11:29 am

Sorry to hear you were under the weather. I am making that pesto tonight; it sounds so good.

xo —
    M.

5. July 20, 2011 / 12:39 pm

Can you believe this – she has been around on screen for 20 years already:

6. July 20, 2011 / 12:56 pm

What a marvelous post full of fun suggestions! I am going to have to fill up my queue with new goodies to watch I can tell!

Glad you’re feeling better ~ it’s no fun to feel under the weather, especially during the summer!

I’ve been loving Vivienne’s capsules but I didn’t realize one of them was for you! How fun!!!

7. July 20, 2011 / 1:00 pm

You must see the original Wuthering Heights, with Merle Oberon and Laurence Olivier. Fantastic movie.
    You “scarf” capsule wardrobe is great, and burgundy with olive green is one of my favorite color combinations.

8. July 20, 2011 / 1:04 pm

@steppingmywaytobliss Didn’t Vivienne do an outstanding job with my (your) scarf? Who would have thought plum and olive? Not me. I was going to stick with white and black.

The pesto turned out better than expected. Part of the reason was using flavorful and very fresh basil and lightly toasted pine nuts – I bought a bag a Trader Joe’s that was reasonably priced. Pine nuts can be pricey especially in the gourmet markets.

I did think the end of SR was lacking a bit. Do you think they might possibly be considering a sequel? I could see it becoming a series.

I am mostly better. I so appreciate being able to restore myself without making it an inconvenience to others. I will add this to the list of things I like about getting older. xo, A

P.S. I miss you! You’ve not been around much lately.

9. July 20, 2011 / 1:09 pm

I need to plan a day of movie watching (minus that not feeling well part ~ glad to read you are feeling better). Coco and Igor, sounds brilliant … Mr. G. says pasta anything goes (the Italian speaks ..lol). Have a great day xo HHL

10. July 20, 2011 / 1:10 pm

@Vivienne The capsule wardrobe is such a wonderful gift. I have been thinking about it all day! I am excited to use your recommendations for fall shopping in a couple of months time. I appreciate what you did more than you can imagine.

Thank you again. What treasures – the wardrobe capsule and you! xo

11. July 20, 2011 / 1:14 pm

@jill815 I’ll have to look that scarf up online. Have you asked Vivienne to do a capsule for you?
    I don’t wear many scarves this time of year either. I can’t tolerate things about my neck.
    How long have you had your Hermes scarf? I bought mine from a fellow blogger a few months ago, so it’s used. She bought it used also, so I am at least its third owner.

I think you would very much enjoy “Coco and Igor”. You will just LOVE her wardrobe. And I find the actress who plays Coco captivating.

12. July 20, 2011 / 1:15 pm

@LuxeBytes The pesto is just as wonderful as the pesto we had in the Cinque Terra in Italy last fall – and that is really saying something. I hope you like it as much as we do.

13. July 20, 2011 / 1:17 pm

@Paula I know! Twenty years already. She is 47 years old now and just as beautiful. I adore Juliette.

14. July 20, 2011 / 1:21 pm

@kathy peck I will put it in my queue today. It’s so weird because I had never in my life heard of Merle Oberon, then last night, while Bill was watching tv, I surfed the web for Coco photos and stumbled upon a very interesting blog that had a huge post all about Merle. She was a fascinating woman….I’ll have to find that site and send you a link (of course, you may already know all about her)

Olive and burgundy, I am told, are favorable colors for me to wear given my skin tone, hair and eye color. Good for me that they also go well together!

15. July 20, 2011 / 1:24 pm

@kathy peck Hi Kathy, I can’t seem to find an email for you, so I will post the link here and hope that you see it:

The blog is called French Sampler and I adore it! I spent about an hour on it last night. Good stuff!

16. July 20, 2011 / 1:26 pm

@High Heeled Life A day of movies is a great way to recharge your batteries and/or escapee the heat of summer.

I am glad you asked the expert about the pasta issue. I’ve often wondered if there were unspoken rules about what sauce goes with which pasta shape. I suppose it’s more about common sense. xo, A

17. July 20, 2011 / 1:32 pm

@~ B. I like getting film recommendations from blogs I read. I think we often like the same sorts of things, movies included.

Vivienne is really on to something with her capsule creations. I am so interested to see where this heads! Somewhere marvelous, I am certain.

18. July 20, 2011 / 2:07 pm

I made a meatless pasta dish recently with roasted tomato and almond pesto w/ Perciatelli pasta. (I used linguine and it still came out so delicious!) I will email you the recipe off Epicurious if you would like it.

The wardrobe capsule is very cool! I’m in some weird cycle of buy & return, buy and return. Grrr… At least out of all of it I’ve managed to keep a few things!

19. July 20, 2011 / 2:16 pm

@LRS4AMANDA That sounds very interesting. I have only made pestos with pine nuts before. But I would like to try almonds and/or walnuts one of these days. I’d love to have the link to that recipe.

I was doing that buy and return thing with Banana Rep. The thing is, they charge you about $6 or $7 to return and I was doing it over and over again. So glad those days are over!

Happy to hear that you found a few things you are keeping. At least you know you are only keeping what you truly like.

20. July 20, 2011 / 2:24 pm

Dear Adrienne,

I’m so glad you’re feeling better. I am also thankful you shared all the interesting things you did while you recovered!

I added the two DVD’d I haven’t seen to my queue and I loved your scarf! I have one beloved Hermes scarf I bought in Boston on a trip, and I made sure it had all my colors in it. I still wear it all the time…sort of a signature scard (read I won’t be buying another one soon).

I laughed at your day. I did exactly the same things today,too. It was nice to know I am not alone in my little ‘maze’ of errands.

Warmest regards, Kathleen

21. July 20, 2011 / 2:51 pm

We have some of these noodles in our cupboard and basil in the garden. I think you’ve just given me a great idea for our supper.

22. July 20, 2011 / 3:23 pm

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Your recipe looks yummy! What’s not to love about pasta, basil and pine nuts?

I love all the wardrobe ideas for your Hermes scarf. And plum and olive are a wonderful combination and will look fabulous with your coloring. Although…I think you could make any color combination look beautiful!

23. July 20, 2011 / 3:44 pm

I am happy that I am missed…the belle fille has been back only 10 days and I feel like it has been 10 years. Oy vey. ; ) She’s “sucking my will to live!” JK!

24. July 20, 2011 / 4:16 pm

@Kathleen I hope you enjoy the films as I did.

You are the second person to mention being a single H scarf owner. I, too, don’t know that I will expand my collection anytime soon. We are planning a trip to France when Tori graduates high school. Perhaps I will buy a new one then (2013).

I did much less than I had planned. I only went the library and the post. The rest will have to wait until tomorrow. xo, A

25. July 20, 2011 / 4:17 pm

@Terri I do hope you try it. It’s a great way to use up your basil.

26. July 20, 2011 / 4:19 pm

@annie Thank you, Annie. I am getting excited and a little nervous about creating a real live capsule wardrobe for myself. I want to put all of my poor shopping habits behind me and buy quality, classic clothing that I can wear for many years to come AND that look great on me. Sounds like a tall order! Good thing I have my spending freeze – I won’t have to worry about it for a while!

27. July 20, 2011 / 4:20 pm

@steppingmywaytobliss I hear you…I have my eldest belle fille coming for a stay next month. These are the times I wish we had one more bathroom and a huge house.

Aren’t we stinkers? So set in our ways 🙂

28. July 20, 2011 / 4:44 pm

Such a beautiful scarf. I could tell by the title of the post that you were finally debuting it! Very exciting. The colors are perfection–despite our radically different coloring, that would be colors I would want in a great “capsule wardrobe” scarf. You can never go wrong with it.

29. July 20, 2011 / 5:22 pm

I didn’t realize you were so sick. Glad to hear you’re feeling better! LOVE the Hermes scarf. Vivienne put together some nice looks for you! You’ll have to have Bill take a picture of you wearing it. Keep at your knitting! It will be a great sense of accomplishment when you’re done.

30. July 20, 2011 / 6:09 pm

@Aesthetic AlterationsI finally did debut the scarf after all this time. I think I bought it from Bliss back in March. I have only worn it one time since then. I plan on getting lots of use out of it come fall and winter.
    I think the colors Vivienne selected would look great on you too….the olive with your eyes would be gorgeous.

31. July 20, 2011 / 6:12 pm

@Mrs. Stranded I wasn’t terribly ill, just a weird little bug with a low grade fever. I feel fine now.
    Vivienne did an outstanding job. I can hardly wait to hunt down those items down in September. Better save my pennies!
    I will stick with the knitting. I think with a bit more assistance I can start enjoying it again.

32. July 20, 2011 / 9:05 pm

We’re like the only people that can get sick in the summer! Yep, I’m in bed with a virus now and I’m so happy you posted about these movies because I need a distraction. Going to check them out…
    And btw, your pasta looks delicious! x

33. July 21, 2011 / 5:22 am

Thanks for the link to the French Sampler. Merle Oberon was a fascinating woman. And the movie with her and Olivier, incredible. Hope you see it and let me know.

34. July 21, 2011 / 5:45 am

@Sara Louise Oh! I am so sorry to hear you have the icks now. Summer bugs are actually more common that I thought. People are out and about – more events, bbqs, etc. and are breeding grounds for germs. I am almost positive I got mine from a fundraiser last weekend. I came into contact with lots of people and ate food that other people prepared who may or may not have had the cleanest hands. Being social has it’s dangers! But not being social is sad, so I’ll take my chances. I hope you feel better real soon and that the Husband and Fifty take excellent care of you.

35. July 21, 2011 / 5:48 am

@kathy peck Netflix doesn’t have WH available for rent, but it is on their site. I put it in my queue in case it becomes available.

I did find some DVDs for sale for about $20, but I don’t know if I want to own it. I rarely buy DVDs. Amazon has a movie rental program I didn’t know about – I can rent it and watch on my laptop for $3. I may do that once I get a couple of uninterrupted hours – which I may have tomorrow. I will let you know once I’ve seen it. Thank you for the recommendation!

36. July 21, 2011 / 1:54 pm

Great movie recommendations Adrienne..Glad you’re feeling better now…I agree with you about Juliette Binoche…she is so beautiful…I think she is wonderful in The English Patient, for me, better than Kristin and as for Chocolat…just love that film!

37. July 22, 2011 / 4:52 am

I’ve been looking for a good pesto recipe! And I’m adding those shows and films to my queue.

I’m glad you are feeling better! If one must feel bad, I always think it’s best in the winter time when it’s more natural to cocoon oneself and drink hot tea and eat soup. No one should ever have to be sick in the summer.

38. July 22, 2011 / 3:31 pm

@Catherine Robinson One thing I like about Juliette B. is the way she is aging so gracefully. And she is such a talented actress. I have adored every movie I’ve seen of hers (but I’ve never seen The English Patient or Chocolat – need to put those in my queue!).

39. July 22, 2011 / 3:33 pm

@Kate Believe me – I would rather be sick in the winter for sure. But I didn’t have a cold, it was a stomach thing which somehow makes it better to have in summer than a cold.

The pesto recipe is a real keeper….I will be making it again this weekend with the loads of basil our garden is producing. Making pesto is the only way I can use it up!

40. Anonymous
    July 26, 2011 / 4:38 pm

I loved “I am Love” and “The Seagull’s Laughter” so I have put “South Riding” and “Coco and Igor” on my list at the library – they were on my radar, but hadn’t made it as far as the list yet. Keep those great recommendations coming! Here’s one for you: have you seen “North and South” with Daniela Denby-Ash and Richard Armitage? A MUST see! — Queen Lucia

41. July 29, 2011 / 8:58 pm

@Anonymous Queen Lucia,

I don’t think I have seen “North and South”. I will have to put that in my Netflix queue. Thank you for the recommendation! I always appreciate good film and book tips.