Target Temptations

Target Temptations

My new volunteer position is right across the street from Target. Initially, I didn’t think this fact would mean a thing to me as I rarely shop there; maybe once or twice a year.

But it’s some how become “a thing”. It started on Tuesday when I stopped off the see the Missoni line before work and found a blue Missoni cardigan that I adore and already wore to work.

Then yesterday, I found myself at Target again. I went searching for a portable file keeper, a planner, notebooks and pads I need to take on my client visits. Even though Office Depot is only two stores down from Target, I just had to go to Target. And you can guess why…I wanted to see what was left of the Missoni goodies.

A whole lotta nothing was left of the Missoni goodies in the women’s clothing department.  There was one lonely floral print Missoni blouse in hot pink that wasn’t my size and even if it was in my size, I wouldn’t have purchased it.

Off I went to look for file folders and the like. Purposefully, I took the long way around to the office supply section to see what was what and noticed that every few yards, there were Missoni displays in various departments….and lo and behold they had stuff still on their shelves!

I grabbed this hip vase that looks great on our mantle. Must buy some flowers for it today.

And these darling plastic cereal bowls – of which I bought the last four. In Faux Fuschia’s words, “I luff them 11/10”. Must locate some cereal today too.

I also found these shoes…

Aren’t they pretty? I adore them, but they are 4 inches high.

At a lofty 6’2″, actually 6′ 2.5″, I have no good reason to wear 4 inch heels. But I wanted them badly. I stood in Target rationalizing that they were only $40.00 and I will wear them because they’re so darling and that I don’t care what people think, and blah, blah, blah. So I bought them. And I thought it was a good purchase.

Then I arrived home, tried them on again, walked about and reality set in. I had to be honest: I don’t want to be 6′ 6.5″, eye-to-eye with my 6’7″ husband. I get enough stares, remarks and whispering in flats. I simply won’t wear them. Back they go today.

I also found these shoes for $30.00. They look a bit like these Ivanka Trump wedges I have in my Zappos cart.

I put them on and gave them the walk-around-the-house treatment too, in which I decided they must also go back. I foresee some horrid blisters on the back of my heel and they also are rather high at 3 inches.  Besides, the quality of the suede is sub-par, which is what I would expect for the price.

At the end of my wandering around Target, I came upon the office section. Quickly, I found a suitable planner and portable file holder. Then I saw these cute, cute Missoni clips…

and plain forgot what else I needed (note books and pads of paper) so guess who is going shopping again today? Except this time I’m going straight to Office Depot – no temptations there.

Fortunately, I have recognized my Target temptations early on in my job – recognized but perhaps not cured. I see that it’s mostly a Missoni-related issue that has already worked itself out through a depleted inventory. Regardless, I need to rein it in and stick to my PPN. I can see that planned purchasing is going to be a bit more difficult than I thought.

Even though Target has reasonably priced items, the bill can quickly add up as can the shopping cart. I seem to lose my mind a bit in there and come home with things I didn’t intend to buy….like 4 inch heels and designer paper clips.

Do you find yourself bringing home unnecessary fluff
 when shopping at stores like Target?
If so, what tempts you the most?
If not, what’s your secret?

P.S. Bill arrived home last night around 9:00 p.m. I am elated to have him home safely. Thank you again for your kind and comforting words.

1. Anonymous
    September 15, 2011 / 4:41 am

Dear Adrienne

Agreed with all your choises and decisions!! Good shopping.

2. September 15, 2011 / 4:53 am

YAY!! Bill is home safe !! so happy for you.

Yes, I find I come home with all sorts … working hard on this. But it’s a bit difficult since the renovations are finally at unpacking stage, and then discovering things are needed to complete a rooms look.

So proud and inspired that you are returning things that really aren’t what you were looking (or want) for. Wishing you a wonderful day xo HHL

P.S. When we go to the US.. I love Target!!! xo

3. September 15, 2011 / 4:53 am

YAY!! Bill is home safe !! so happy for you.

P.S. When we go to the US.. I love Target!!! xo

4. September 15, 2011 / 5:00 am

Dear Adrienne, I can see lots has been happening in your life. I am so glad your handsome firefighter is safe and coming home soon. Congratulations on your new job, well done – I am quite old, please can you send a nice young man to visit me? One that looks like Daniel Craig would be nice. I promise to let your organisation have him back, when I’m finished with him. Love all your Target Missoni buys, partic the cardigan and the cereal bowls; also really liked the shoes but why do they make them so high? annoying. Take care Blightyxx

5. September 15, 2011 / 5:09 am

So glad you have Bill home safe and sound!
    Isn’t it just too easy to pick things up – even when you don’t need them – just because they are cute and cheap?! It’s an easy downfall for sure. I’m glad you realized quickly that those shoes are not for you and can take them back.

You’ll have to keep your PPN with you at all times to help keep your focus.

6. September 15, 2011 / 5:10 am

Oh I’m envious! I heard from a neighbor that everything was pretty much cleared out of our local Target by 9am. I really wanted one of those vases and the coffee mugs. I did manage to score one brown cardigan online, for the 15 minutes that the website was up, but they were sold out of just about everything else by that time (noon pacific).

J’adore Tarjay. I used to joke that I could never get out of there for less than $100. Seriously though, most of my incidental home decor is from Target. Today’s post about the roosters… probably 1/2 were purchased there on various trips shopping trips for stuff like paper towels and laundry soap.

7. September 15, 2011 / 5:15 am

I could relate to this post! I had never stepped foot in a Target before moving to Cleveland. One simply didn’t exist in Manhattan at that time. So my first visit to Target was like a kid in a candy shop! I still haven’t bought any clothes or shoes there, but everything else – all of their cute designed random items like your clips…I’m a sucker for that stuff. I came home with bookends, accordian folders, more birthday cards than people I know, etc. Now when I go to Target, I go with an item in mind, buy it and walk out. Target’s too dangerous for my wallet otherwise 🙂 After reading so much about the new Missoni line in a few blogs yesterday, I decided to check it out since I had to pick up something for Mr. Stranded’s bday at Target anyway. Figures — the Missoni line hasn’t made it out to Cleveland yet! Those shoes are really cute and with my 5’1-1/2″ height, 4″ heels are a necessity! Hope Bill gets home soon. Still thinking of you.

8. September 15, 2011 / 5:16 am

Please show the Missoni cardigan you bought! I wonder if it’s the same one I ordered online. I know the sight crashed so if the items I ordered actually show up at my house in Brooklyn, I will be pleasantly surprised. I overspent and expect to either return items I don’t completely love, or possibly sell them on eBay (at cost, I will not jack up the prices like I’ve seen some are doing!). The only thing I really truly wanted was the long blue cardigan and I ordered it in two sizes. The one that fits stays, the one that doesn’t goes back. I am usually pretty good when I’m at any store but the Missoni thing made a little crazy, and here’s why: I bought a Missoni cardigan at Saks last year that I fell in love with. It ultimately had to go back because when I really looked at myself in the mirror, it wasn’t a good cut on me (it was a draped cardigan). And it was so expensive there was no way it could stay in my closet if I didn’t love it! But if the blue Missoni for Target cardigan looks good I will be so happy, it’s a fraction of what those sweaters sell for.

9. September 15, 2011 / 6:23 am

Target is coming to Canada sometime soon.
    I went to the seattle Target when they had the Liberty line and bought a few things that were left, it was pretty picked over.

I find my 2 or 3 trips a year to Costco are pricey too.

Hooray Bill is home safe and sound!

10. September 15, 2011 / 6:57 am

So glad Bill is home.

There should be a little devil with horns in the Target’s bullseye. It’s a wonderful place. I love it, but it’s pure genius in mareking especially now that they have food. Like you said, the price entices, cute merchandise, but you can easily walk out of there spending over $100.

I had to cut back going in there, and stick to a list. Seriously.

11. September 15, 2011 / 7:20 am

So glad to hear your husband is home safe.

I’m enjoying watching the MIssonsi craze from the sidelines. Those shoes really are darling, too bad they have to go back :-(.

12. September 15, 2011 / 7:43 am

I’d love to love Target’s footwear, but I know my feet.

I’m always tempted by their notebooks. When John Derian (sp?) did a collection for them I was a a lost cause.

13. September 15, 2011 / 8:03 am

Yay! Bill made it home!

I have a weekly routine (except for this week) that includes a stop at Target. The majority of my $ is spent on groceries or health and beauty stuff. The one I mostly shop at is 2 floors and most of what I buy is on the top floor. I do have a few home decor or garden items around my house but since they moved those items downstairs I sort of bypass them now. I was REALLY mad when they closed their outside garden department. I bought a lot of plants there and now even if I just need a couple 6 packs of plants I have to hoof it all the way to Home Depot or a nursery. 🙁

You really did get lucky finding those Missoni items. It’s too bad so many people bought them solely to sell on the black market.

14. September 15, 2011 / 8:35 am

Glad to hear Bill made it home safely! I am a total Target addict. My husband calls Target and Ann Taylor my “motherships”. Fortunately I find the quality there to be very good for the price in general (always exceptions of course), and I love a lot of my shoes from there – wearing some flats now actually that are by far my most comfy pair. I ordered those Missoni ppumps and can’t wait to get them, but I am only 5’5 and wear 4 inch heels on a regular basis : ) I can definitely tell you having one acrosss the street from my office would be an issue, fortunately I now have to drive at least a few miles out of my way to get to one!

15. September 15, 2011 / 8:48 am

Glad your husband arrived home safely!

In all honesty, I’m not very fashionable in the clothing department. I tend to have a few pieces in classic styles. But, Target tempts me in so many other areas. We don’t live close to one but are near one every couple of months or so. They carry Method cleaning products which I love, super cute cards, notebooks and other office stuff, some different brands of cosmetics, adorable children’s clothing (we have 5 children), a good variety of pet supplies, awesome selection of chocolate, and some pretty decent kitchen wares. So yes, I tend to end up with a few unnecessary items and some necessary but possibly upgraded versions of other items. 😛

16. September 15, 2011 / 9:26 am

I have that same issue with Target, as it is right next door to my office. I stop in to pick up household supplies and I always go right when it opens as I love having it all to myself (with the exception of Tuesday/Missoni Day. I have been trying to only stop in once a week as of late though. Glad Bill is home safe and sound! xxoo 🙂

17. September 15, 2011 / 9:48 am

Happy to hear Bill is home safely! Funny that I popped over here (after just posting today) to see you’ve done a Target post. Oy vey. Yes, I love Target. And really love that vase you found. I like how you mentioned that you need to rein it in and stick with your PPN–Target/Missoni have that effect, don’t they? xxBliss

PS I didn’t comment yesterday but I am so happy that you love your new volunteer position.

18. September 15, 2011 / 11:07 am

I can’t believe you don’t go to Target that often. They must know me there by name. I love that store. It’s great for housewares, linens, video games for the kids, gum, school supplies, food (if you have a super Target), toys. I live there. I’m not a fan of Missoni, but I thought I’d check it out to see if anything catches my eye if there is anything left. And yes every time I go inside I must try my best not to shop for things that I don’t really need. Glad Bill’s home safe and sound.

19. September 15, 2011 / 11:34 am

I love your vase and shoes! We don’t have a Target in Canada but we will be getting one soon and I cannot wait! If I worked across the street from one I’d probably be there every day : )

20. September 15, 2011 / 1:38 pm

Very pleased to hear your hubby is home safe. I don’t wear heels either , being 5ft7.5″, my hubby isn’t much taller than me, also a piece of lego did some damage to Left foot arch, and now having a dodgy Right foot ankle after falling in a hole in the lawn that puppies made! It’s all flats for me, hahaha
    There is a lot to be said for online shopping where considered choices can be made. In the shops I seem to put so much in the trolley that simply is not on any list.
    Where I live we have this type of Target called Target Country. Aussie Targets are so different to your upmarket Target and our country one carries just the bare basics. It’s quite pathetic really. In our small town, you could go to an event and see 4 people wearing the same clothes from T!! I give it a very big miss.

21. September 15, 2011 / 4:23 pm

Glad to hear everyone is safe. As Hostess mentioned, we don’t have Target in Canada yet, but there’s Walmart and Dollarama and Superstore, etc to feed temptations. Aside from Superstore, where we buy most of our groceries, I tend to stay out of these places unless there is something particular I need to buy. It takes willpower!

Love those Missoni clips though!

22. September 15, 2011 / 4:31 pm

Totally! Yes – “bargain” shops are just as bad as high-end shops for me. I once walked out of Target having spent about $300AUD on goodness knows what! I think I had one thing from every department. Not to mention the fact that I actually worked at Target as a teenager…Target Card was my 1st credit card…kinda snowballed from there.
    Glad your hubby is home safe & sound.
    P.S. Those Missoni clips are SUPER CUTE!

23. September 15, 2011 / 7:30 pm

I thought this was such a cute post…because we all fall into this situation. At least at Target you can take it all back when reason prevails. (-:

24. September 15, 2011 / 8:11 pm

Awww…I think you should rock your height, once in a while, at least!

25. September 15, 2011 / 10:25 pm

Glad to hear that Bill is home. Perhaps Missoni makes cereal for the bowls as well. 🙂

26. September 16, 2011 / 12:53 am

I used to be a terribly impulsive shopper when I lived in London. Someone once said to me, “put the item down and walk away. If you are still thinking about it 48 hours later,then it means you really want it”. 99% of the time I stopped thinking about the item as soon as I left the the shop! Now (like the Queen of England 😉 I never carry money or a credit card with me, unless I’m going to buy something specific.It works!!!My bigger difficulty is internet shopping, where there are no queues and you can shop in your pj’s 😉

27. September 17, 2011 / 9:38 am

@Anonymous Thank you. I am pleased as well and so glad I returned the shoes.

28. September 17, 2011 / 9:40 am

@High Heeled Life I think the biggest problem for me is happening upon things I didn’t know I’d really want – like Missoni paper clips and the cool vase I bought. There has to be wiggle room for such items. I can’t imagine I will be able to strictly adhere to planning my purchases.

I can’t believe Canada doesn’t have Target yet. Someone said they are heading northward, so who knows – one may be coming to your town soon. xo

29. September 17, 2011 / 9:43 am

@Blighty Oh my gosh, Blighty. Your comment had me cracking up! On Thursday, I met a woman – elderly and housebound, who asked me if I had any good looking men to send her. Makes me wonder what kind of “match-making” I’ll be asked to do!

I adore the cereal bowls – still haven’t bought cereal so I am fixing yogurt in them every morning.

Cute shoes that have really high heels make me sad….and annoyed.

30. September 17, 2011 / 9:45 am

@Laura Good idea! I do need to bring that PPN with me. I have been trying to carry LESS in my handbag – not more. Maybe I’ll put it in my phone instead. Even though the vase, clips and bowls weren’t in my PPN, I still adore them and don’t regret buying them one bit. I will leave the door open for certain non-PPN pieces, but only if I really, really love them tremendously.

31. September 17, 2011 / 9:53 am

@déjà pseu Apparently, I love the big T too. But the shininess is starting to wear off. I successfully returned the shoes, did a sweep of the Missoni stuff – what dregs were left of it – and split. Didn’t even buy mints or a greeting card. I was so proud of myself. Next week’s goal is stay completely out of Target.

I think your rooster collection is darling, by the way.

32. September 17, 2011 / 9:57 am

@Mrs. Stranded Back when the kids were little, I had a Target credit card and used to spend oodles of $$ there. Then I stopped going sort of abruptly. I just didn’t like it anymore – same goes for Walmart, Kmart and the like. I am, as you can tell, getting back in to shopping there – but it needs to be more sparingly. And with purpose. Willy nilly shopping sprees are a big no-no for me.

If I were petite like you, I would love to wear really high heels. They are often so flattering.

33. September 17, 2011 / 10:02 am

@jill815 I posted a photo – a crappy photo – of the cardy last week. I am pretty sure it’s the same one you ordered – navy blue and cobalt. I love it – but don’t have much to go with it. Maybe we can put our heads together and figure out what, besides jeans, it will look good with.

It bugs me enormously how people scooped up all that Missoni merchandise just to turn around and sell it for a profit on eBay. That is just plain wrong.

I was introduced to Missoni a few years back when my much thinner and much richer friend bought a gorgeous Missoni dress to go to a wedding. I could not believe the price though – $2500 for a knit tank dress. Gulp! But she could afford it and it looked fabulous on her. I’ll have to ask her if she bought any Missoni stuff at Target.

I hope you’ll post about your sweater when it arrives.

34. September 17, 2011 / 10:04 am

@hostess of the humble bungalow Cost co is way harder on my wallet than Target, but it’s mostly all food – so that much more justifiable.

I am so thrilled to have Bill home. And now he’s on the bottom of the team leader list – so it will be at least another year or two before he’s called out.

35. September 17, 2011 / 10:06 am

@Hines-Sight I don’t even look at the food – it’s too far from home to buy perishables, especially when I have to go back to work. My problem areas are clothes, beauty and home accessories. I am going to break the Target habit next week and not go at all. This week I went three times in three days – not very good stats.

36. September 17, 2011 / 10:07 am

@Susan Tiner Aren’t those shoes lovely? I saw them on someone else’s blog and thought they were only 2.5″ or so…boy was I off! I think that style would make a very stylish flat. I love the chevrons.

37. September 17, 2011 / 10:11 am

@The Slowest Sewist I had to look up the John Derian notebooks – they are so lovely! A couple of people are selling sets of four on eBay for less than $10. I love his trays too – very Victorian looking.

38. September 17, 2011 / 10:12 am

@LRS4AMANDA Holy moly! A two story Target! That sounds dangerous.

I did get extra lucky – I don’t think Missoni is well known around here.

I am thrilled Bill is home – and we are back in our little routine, sort of.

I hope you have a great weekend! xo

39. September 17, 2011 / 10:15 am

@Amy I am so glad you got those shoes. You dress so well and have such an incredible pair of legs, I know they will look fabulous on you.

My plan next week is to not step foot in Target for any reason. I need to dry out, so to speak 🙂

40. September 17, 2011 / 10:17 am

@Cat I don’t normally buy clothes there – I am a hard fit and tend to stick to certain online stores. But I do like some of their accessories and am a sucker for home do-dads. It helped before to have it pretty far from our home – but now it’s across the street. Must exercise restraint!

41. September 17, 2011 / 10:19 am

@Cathi I love shopping anywhere early in the morning. I also like to have the place to myself. I purposely avoid my favorite market on Wednesday’s because I know it’s discount day for seniors. You know I love our seniors, but it just gets too crowded for me. If I do have to go on a Wednesday, I shoot for early a.m.

42. September 18, 2011 / 7:12 pm

Target and I are BFF’s! Or rather, I stalk my BFF. Like, almost weekly. I swear my last three office locations have been within a 5 minute drive from Target. I often find myself needing to run to Target on my lunch. If I could shop at only one store for the rest of my life, it would be Target! I do not want help for my addiction. Really, I don’t.

43. September 19, 2011 / 4:55 am

gosh I’m in Korea and can’t get target * missoni collaboration products 🙁 love your finds!

44. September 20, 2011 / 6:46 pm

Shop ONLINE…keep a folder/bookmark for things you want to order and then leave it there for a few days. If you still go back to it and want it then you’ll know to get it. Otherwise, you’ll know it was impulse! Works for me. I did end up getting a cute missoni cardi and colorful tray though….check out my story: http://thepaperroad.com/?p=196