Napa Valley Getaway

Napa Valley Getaway

We’ve been celebrating ourselves silly in Napa since Thursday. With our anniversary and Bill’s new position (that you can read about in this great article in our local paper, Kenwood Press) we have much to be happy about.

Thursday, we got settled in our RV spot in Calistoga….

jumped in the car, and went to lunch at our all-time favorite Napa Valley restaurant, Rutherford Grill. Afterwards, we went for a drive, stopping off at Duckhorn Winery. We opted not to do a tasting and instead walked around the grounds.

Does anyone recognize my plain blue dress? I didn’t wear it once all summer long. I think it’s time to part ways.

After our drive, we went back to the RV to relax and freshen up for dinner. Daisy and Coco were waiting not so patiently for us in the RV. We kept them home with the air conditioner on because it was 90+ degrees out and too dangerous for them to sit in the car while we dined and such.

Bill and I exchanged cards. I only got him a card because he repeatedly told me, or warned me rather, that we were not exchanging gifts. Then what does he do, but give me gifts. Unbeknownst to me, while we were in Mendocino, Bill snuck back to Sallie Mac  and bought me some jewels I had been looking at the previous day.

He gave me this Metal Pointus ring…..

and this Cyclope Paris necklace.

Isn’t he a stinker? A good stinker; a very good stinker.

Later that evening, we really splurged and went to a newish steakhouse in St. Helena called Press. For us, it was a once in a long, long time experience because the prices were crazy expensive. For example, see Bill’s steak right here?

It was $54.00 without any sides. They had an Australian wagyu steak for $98.00, so we kinda thought our steaks were a bargain…at the time.

One of our sides was Macaroni and Cheese with Truffles. It was served in a darling Staub mini-skillet and was ungodly good. The best mac and cheese I’ve ever had in my life.

We were so stuffed, I mean really stuffed, we didn’t order dessert. But we did have an interesting appetizer I forgot to mention. Bacon. Not bacon mini quiches, or potato skins with crumbled bacon just plain bacon.

We opted for the Benton’s Country bacon and oh my goodness gracious it is heavenly. Like no other bacon I’ve ever tried. No wonder they got out the place mats and the super high thread count cloth napkins just for this…..

Yes, all that for two little slices of bacon. I took this picture so I could email it to fojoy and her husband, baconhound, from the bar. They were more than a little excited and are planning their next vacation in Napa. And I don’t think they’re kidding.

We left Press and returned home a little fatter, a little poorer (could have bought an Hermes scarf instead) with higher cholesterol and more cellulite, but it was our anniversary and we thought every calorie and every dollar was worth it.

That was just day one of three! More to come.

1. October 15, 2011 / 5:51 pm

Congrats to Bill on the promotion! What a nice article about him.
    (ps, congrats on the jewelry too!)

2. October 15, 2011 / 7:15 pm

Mmm…bacon…
    And that truffle mac & cheese looks delish too!
    I am checking on flights at this very moment 😉
    That stinker of yours has very good taste; what a lovely anniversary gift.
    I look forward to hearing about the rest of your weekend.
    Xo

3. October 15, 2011 / 8:28 pm

Dearest Adrienne,

Nice article, photo could have been better but so what.
    You really had a special day and got treated royally. Love your plain blue dress # 5 the best! At least in that post, it did not pull up in the center and looked really fresh with the white blouse. But you got your jewels AND food… Sure you both were stuffed; what a size steak!
    So glad to hear you this bubbly and happy so that means you’ve fully recovered. Have a lovely Sunday!

Mariette

4. October 16, 2011 / 6:23 am

What a great article about Bill!

How sweet of him to surprise you with the jewelry (which are beautiful by the way)…but it sounds like something he would do. 🙂

I think our trip up to Sonoma was our anniversary present. I was going to make us dinner at home to celebrate but Tony still wants to go out.

Curious to see your post on days 2 & 3!

5. October 16, 2011 / 6:28 am

Those are two stunning pieces of jewelry. Bill has got incredible taste–and sneaking skills–and I love how you can pull off pieces like those. And your girls! How cute they are!

It’s wonderful hearing you’ve been enjoying a fabulous holiday.

6. October 16, 2011 / 12:58 pm

A bacon bar!! GOLD! I miss crispy American Bacon. In Australia we may have Wagyu but we are seriously lacking in the bacon department.

P.S. That pendant is Exquisite x Gazillion!!!

7. October 16, 2011 / 2:15 pm

you look GREAT! and I want that pendant!
    T xx

8. October 16, 2011 / 3:06 pm

Adrienne I am so happy that you are celebrating in such a special way!! Congrats to Bill!

It is interesting, because I like all kinds of Macaroni and Cheese!

Oh I have a designer pillow Giveaway I hope you will join! (a great resource as well)

Xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

9. October 16, 2011 / 4:59 pm

It sounds like you and Bill had a wonderful anniversary, and if I haven’t mentioned it before Daisy and Coco are just too cute!

Cindy

10. October 16, 2011 / 5:00 pm

Cindy

11. October 16, 2011 / 5:02 pm

Cindy

12. October 17, 2011 / 12:42 pm

Bill’s not a stinker! Those are lovely gifts, beautiful pieces.

Congratulations on the article.

13. October 17, 2011 / 9:53 pm

$5 for 2 slices of bacon – crazy! I bet it was very good. Would have loved the Mac/cheese dish! We had a 6 oz Kobe ribeye steak in NM once – $60 – and while it was major tender, I wouldn’t do it again. I love that you share the important vacation items: FOOD!