Floral, Stripes and Dots

Floral, Stripes and Dots

I usually hesitant to combine patterns and have mostly been a rather matchy-matchy dresser my entire life. But I’m feeling more daring in my old age (see here, here, and here) and decided to give pattern mixing a whirl.

I started with a two-year-old H & M floral scoop neck, cap-sleeved top with ruching on the sleeves.

Then I paired it with these Banana Republic slacks that I have been wearing lots lately. They used to be too tight for me, but I’ve lost a little weight and now they couldn’t fit any better.

I pulled an old hot pink trench out of the closet that I bought over ten years ago. Some days I think I am too old to wear such a bright color, other days I think it’s perfectly acceptable. Thoughts on bright colors for the middle aged?
To add a little more pattern, I threw in some polka dots by way of Tori’s umbrella she let me borrow.
For jewelry, I chose the simple route. I didn’t want anyone’s head to spin from my already busy outfit.  I opted for diamond stud earrings and a faux diamond encrusted heart pendant on a white gold chain.
I used my Salma Hayek styling products for the first time.
I think I like them!
This pendant was a great deal, found in the most unexpected place….
$9.99 at Longs Drugs (now CVS)! Doesn’t it look like real diamond pave?
On my feet, I wore these newly purchased short boots by Walking Cradles. They were just $52.00, marked down from $129.00.

They aren’t the most chic looking boot, but boy, are they comfortable! And perfect for work.

Are you a pattern mixer?
If so, what patterns do you mix?

1. November 20, 2011 / 6:03 pm

Hi, I am happy to join you on Visible Monday and to find your blog! I just became a follower of yours and hope that you will stop by my site…I will be back for sure!

2. November 20, 2011 / 6:13 pm

Well done, Adrienne! The pink trench really ties it all together.

3. November 20, 2011 / 6:38 pm

You could do a commercial for those hair products. Your hair looks amazing!!!

4. November 20, 2011 / 6:59 pm

Very nicely done, with the pattern mixing and the bright trench – it’s perfect for you! And I do like your new short boots – I seem to collect them so I have to go look at these too. Thanks so much for linking up at Visible Monday, Adrienne!

5. November 20, 2011 / 7:31 pm

Love this, you look gorgeous!

6. November 20, 2011 / 8:12 pm

@Pam @ over50feeling40 Hi Pam! Thank you for following and for stopping by the say hello.
    I’m enjoying meeting so many great bloggers through VM. I love it!

7. November 20, 2011 / 8:14 pm

@déjà pseu Thank you! I agree – I think the outfit would be missing the mark without the hot pink trench.

8. November 20, 2011 / 8:16 pm

@Stephanie Hi Stephanie! Thank you. I do like Salma’s products and my hairdresser helps a lot, too.

9. November 20, 2011 / 8:18 pm

@Patti @ NotDeadYet Style Hi Patti! I love Visible Monday. It makes me look forward to Mondays!

My new boots aren’t very interesting, but they are versatile and comfortable and didn’t break the bank.

Thank you for stopping by!

10. November 20, 2011 / 8:21 pm

@amy
    Thanks, Amy! I appreciate that. You should join Visible Mondays….you always look so beautiful and your outfits are fantastic.

11. November 20, 2011 / 8:24 pm

@Kim, USA HI Kim! Thank you for stopping over. I do like the pink and black combination. I’ll be sure to visit you!

12. November 20, 2011 / 8:25 pm

Pink is a great colour for you. I think brights light up the face and are great at any age.

I do like those boots and good work on picking them up at a discounted price.

I’d like a close up on your diamond studs and rings…
    because I do love icy bling!

13. November 20, 2011 / 9:39 pm

Dearest Adrienne,

On the photo with the ‘closed’ umbrella you look like a professional model! And, you’re a great spokes person for the Salma Hayek styling products as your hair looks beautiful shiny.
    You score A+++ for this total outfit. Hope this comes across as a true compliment from someone who studied fashion…
    Love to you,

Mariette

PS your trench and the lipstick are a perfect match!

14. November 20, 2011 / 11:29 pm

Love you in pink and black!

The camel coat in the past post was gorgeous too and so French with the stripes.

I do think we have similar tastes! I am running out to Longs (CVS – I still call it Longs), and checking out the jewelry section and the hair products asap!

Coveting the cute umbrella as well…! 🙂

15. November 21, 2011 / 12:02 am

I love the brights on you, oh isn’t it so odd to realise that we are muffle aged now?

I love your hair, it takes about an hour to get mine to look like that and I pull it all to the front and look bald from behind!

16. November 21, 2011 / 4:20 am

It seems that in our youth we worry about looking too young, and in middle age we worry about looking too old for something. I for one think the bright pink is fabulous on you.

I’m not much of a pattern mixer because let’s face it, I’m not much of a color mixer. I think it can look so well done on others, but for myself I just feel out of sorts.

17. Amy G.
    November 21, 2011 / 5:06 am

Bright colors in middle age? Yes please! I think our personal coloring fades a bit as we get older, and we benefit from adding it back into our wardrobes. Beiges look drab on me now that I’m in my 40s. And you look amazing!

18. November 21, 2011 / 5:16 am

“You look smashing”! The pink looks great with your beautiful dark hair.

19. November 21, 2011 / 5:39 am

you look beautiful, stylish and elegant in this outfit. I like how you co-ordinated the colors and how you mix a floral print top with pin-striped pants. The pink coat is fabulous. Following you.

mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

20. November 21, 2011 / 6:11 am

love this look on you adrienne. and the pink suits you perfectly. let’s not think that we can’t wear color. that would be just too sad!

21. November 21, 2011 / 7:01 am

I say brights at any age! I love your super-glossy locks as well.

22. November 21, 2011 / 7:43 am

@hostess of the humble bungalow I agree about bright colors brightening one’s face up. My fear probably lies more in standing out even more than I already do with my height than it does with age.

My new boots are so comfortable and warm. I have another pair that are snazzier – 3″ heel, lace up, much more stylish – that I reserve for dressing up and going out.

I will do a close up of my earrings and rings one of these days. There is a cute story behind the earrings.

xoxo, A

23. November 21, 2011 / 7:46 am

@Mariette’s Back to Basics What a lovely compliment, Mariette. Thank you. I like the closed umbrella picture too. Isn’t it funny that the photos taken when we’re not posing often turn out best?

24. November 21, 2011 / 8:17 am

@kim at northerncalstyle. HI Kim, I don’t know that you’ll find any jewelry now that Longs has become CVS, but it wouldn’t hurt to try. I miss Longs. They had the best stuff.
    Isn’t Tori’s umbrella adorable? It was a gift we brought back for her from Paris last year. She’s too scared something will happen to it if she takes to school so it rarely gets out.

25. November 21, 2011 / 8:21 am

Bourbon & Pearls,

It is odd to even type “middle aged”. How did we get here so quickly?

It takes me about an hour – from washing to blow dry to curling iron – to get my hair looking like that, too. Thankfully, I can get two days out of it so it’s worth it.

26. November 21, 2011 / 8:31 am

@Kate As far as dressing in an age appropriate manner goes, my concern is that I lose my objectivity when it comes to dressing myself. I can identify what works and what doesn’t in others, but when it comes to me, the lines get blurred.
    I agree that the hot pink brightened my face up. So that is a good thing…bright colors worn in the right way can work well.

It is dangerous territory to pattern mix – it can look fantastic when done correctly and look tres bizarre when not. My next pattern mix will be leopard print and stripes! Wish me luck!

27. November 21, 2011 / 8:38 am

@Amy G. You are right about bright colors helping us look more vibrant in our middle years. I have to remember this for the future because I am often drawn to black, white and beige. Thank you for stopping by and leaving me a comment, Amy.
    xo, Adrienne

28. November 21, 2011 / 8:46 am

@Mongs Thank you, Mongs…so great meeting you through Visible Monday. Am now following you as well.

29. November 21, 2011 / 8:48 am

@the gardener’s cottage It would be sad not to wear color. After thinking about it, I think my hesitancy about wearing bright colors stems from not wanting to stand out – am already standing out enough with my height. I do like the way it brightens up my face so I think I will wear bright colors more often.

30. November 21, 2011 / 8:49 am

@Sulky kitten I think the shininess comes from the ammonia-free hair color my hair dresser uses. That and limiting my shampooing to every other day and sometimes every three days if I can get away with it.

31. November 21, 2011 / 11:08 am

You look gorgeous Adrienne! Love the flowered top with the pink trench. And a scarf completes the look perfectly!

32. November 21, 2011 / 3:14 pm

I mix patterns all the time, in my own subtle way. You look fantastic!

As to what colors to wear during your life stages, I say only wear the colors that best flatter your face, no matter what color that is. Clearly you look great in fucshia, so you should wear it!

33. November 22, 2011 / 8:54 am

I second the comment on doing hair commercials. Your hair is perfect!

I love the pink trench, no you’re not too old to wear bright colors.

34. November 26, 2011 / 9:26 am

That pink coat is FABULOUS! And your hair is totally gorgeous!