Impulsive No More

Impulsive No More

Back in August, I started shoe shopping for fall. I selected shoes I thought were stylish, that I’d wear often and would complement my wardrobe.

The old me would have impulsively clicked my way to buying several pairs of shoes the same day I put together that post, elated to have found such cute footwear. But I am not the old impetuous person I used to be. I chose to put shoe shopping on the back burner for a few weeks so I could make the best decision.

I waited and waited. And while I waited I really mulled over what would work with my wardrobe and decided that I didn’t need any more tall boots, that 3″ heels are rarely worn by me and that I can go yet another season with my existing black ballet flats, even if they do make my feet look like boats.

Once I had an idea of what to look for, I started shopping. Within minutes, I discovered these Tsubo cognac booties on sale at 6 pm for about $52.00.

Tsubo is the most comfortable shoe/boot brand I’ve ever worn. I wore a similar pair of Tsubo booties on three separate European trips and not a single blister.

Next, I found these Vanelli wedge pumps also at 6 pm (navy is now sold out) for about $75.00

I’ve worn them three times already.

And I bought these great quilted burgundy flats with a patent leather toe, also by Vanelli. When I ordered them on October 6th they were $77.00, now they’re selling for $105.00. Score!

They are so comfortable and are a close match to my Hermès Ferroniere scarf.

Last week, I wore them for the first time to meet a girlfriend for breakfast, then to a couple of home visits. They are very comfortable. I didn’t even have to break them in. Having these shoes in this color is going to mean my Ferronnerie will get a workout this season.

I feel great about my purchases and although it really would be great to own these Frye boots – really great – I know I’ll wear my Tsubos more. And all my purchases fit in with my capsule wardrobe that Vivienne put together for me

I’m pleased to know I am capable of resisting impulse buying after many years of doing just that. Is it the economy? Is it my maturity? It is that I’ve learned from my plethora of past shopping mistakes? Whatever the cause, I am pleased with my purchases and with myself. I know that I can take the time to decide what I want and carefully select items I’ll wear at a price that won’t fill me with regret.

Have you mastered the ability to shop with control?
Or are you an impulse shopper?

1. November 3, 2011 / 4:17 am

I so agree! I’m far more careful than I used to be and purchase rarely on impluse now. However, there have been cases where I thought about it for too long and by the time I decided I really wanted the item it was gone… Love from London xo

2. November 3, 2011 / 4:32 am

Love the new shoes particularly the burgundy pumps. I am trying hard to stop buying full stop as I just have too much!

3. November 3, 2011 / 5:33 am

When I shop online, I can control myself, but when I shop at the mall, I am definitely an impulse shopper.

4. November 3, 2011 / 6:04 am

Great finds! J’adore those Tsubo booties. And how great to find shoes to coordinate with that gorgeous scarf.

5. November 3, 2011 / 6:18 am

all of your new shoes are great…but I love the cranberry ones, so cute and perfect with the scarf.

I don’t buy much on impulse…unless it is easy to return.(-:

6. November 3, 2011 / 6:32 am

Oh Adrienne your shoe wardrobe looks amazing.
    I love that you have an excuse to wear that delicious Hermes scarf…who really needs and excuse but they compliment each other so well.

Tsubo’s are available here but I have never tried any on…
    I think a trip to the shoe shop is called for…
    I’ll walk to it though, thus killing two birds with one stone!

7. November 3, 2011 / 6:35 am

Reading the blogs that I do, like yours, has helped me tremendously in not buying impulsively, and in thinking through each purchase. Love all your shoes, and it’s great that the Hermes matches the ballerinas, but it goes well with the other two also – wear it a lot!

8. November 3, 2011 / 6:45 am

Cute shoes and such practical purchases! I’m sure you’ll get a ton of uses from all of them.

9. November 3, 2011 / 7:18 am

Dearest Adrienne,

There is so much to impulsive shopping. Both, Pieter and I traveled the world and got to shop at so many boutiques… Or at tax-free at the world’s best airports. Frankly speaking, there are moments you try something on and want it badly but put it back, only to regret doing so for the rest of your life. Thinking you will find more of that or easier for not having to tote it around. My thing is if you see something you really LOVE; GET IT! Of course within your budget range. I’ve never shopped for several pair of shoes at once… never. I love the unexpected when you find them while traveling or come across them elsewhere. You of course buy so different because of your height but in my wardrobe I have no ballerina flats. Boots I love and we were lucky for having lived in Italy where great boots are being designed and made.
    Enjoy what you got and get great mileage out of them!
    Love to you,

Mariette

10. November 3, 2011 / 7:31 am

@Mademoiselle Poirot Missing out on an item – that is the biggest risk in walking away from a potential purchase. I wanted a pair of jeans from Madewell online and decided to wait only to find out they are now on backorder until January. It all worked out though – I visited a Madewell store last week in San Francisco and came to the conclusion that their clothes are not for me. It all worked out in the end – but you are right, sometimes if you don’t act quickly enough, you lose out. It’s a risk. xo, A

11. November 3, 2011 / 7:33 am

@Blighty I put myself on a spending freeze a couple of months ago and it was actually really easy! I may need to start another one come January. I don’t really “need” anything, but some new pieces in my wardrobe would help me look a little better.

12. November 3, 2011 / 7:36 am

@Michelle P I, too, am more impulsive when I shop “live and in person” but not much. I have to really, really love the item I find while shopping.

Next week, I am taking Tori shopping all day for her birthday. Of course, I will shop for myself too. We shall see if I continue being a controlled shopper. I am making a list of things I am searching for and will try not to go off the list.

13. November 3, 2011 / 7:38 am

@déjà pseu The booties are so comfortable and the rich cognac color does not come through as beautiful in the photo. I am excited to have more options using my H scarf now that I’ve got the shoes. Now I need some ankle pants to go with my shoes – it never ends 🙂

14. November 3, 2011 / 7:39 am

Great choice Adrienne! Love those boots!

15. November 3, 2011 / 7:41 am

@La Vie Quotidienne Return-ability is very important. That is why one needs to be extra careful when shopping out of town. I would not drive 80 miles back to San Francisco to return my purchases made last week so I had to make sure I loved them, lots.

16. November 3, 2011 / 7:44 am

@hostess of the humble bungalow Do try the Tsubos shoes…if they fit you well, you will find them to be very cozy. The soles are dotted with rubber to give you great stability, the booties are lined with a faux suede like material so you won’t need to wear socks. They are very well made and stylish too. If you try them on, let me know your thoughts – I’d love to hear them! xo

17. November 3, 2011 / 7:47 am

@kathy peck Thank you, Kathy. Writing about spending, not spending and curbing spending certainly helps me get “real” about my purchases. It’s taken a lot of years to get me to lose my impulsive spending habits. I used to be very irresponsible with my shopping. Very.

18. November 3, 2011 / 8:00 am

@Mrs. Stranded I think I will get lots of use from all of them. It helps that they are all really comfortable. The ouchy shoes don’t get out much 🙂

19. November 3, 2011 / 8:20 am

I love your choices and your Missoni cardigan looked great yesterday too. xo

20. November 3, 2011 / 8:30 am

My problem is actually more of extreme procrastination. I always want to hunt down the perfect everything, and then I mull over it forever, and too often lose out!

21. November 3, 2011 / 8:37 am

I used to be a clothes horse, but in my defense I needed clothes for work! Tony used to love to go shopping with me to pick things out. Now that I haven’t worked in a long time, my wardrobe has definitely transitioned.

The economy and hubby’s looming pay cut (it may be worse than I thought) has really got me cutting back. I haven’t purchased any clothing in 2 months, and when I do buy something I will have to select only items that I absolutely need instead of silly impulse buys. I have quite a few things in my closet that I have hardly worn, which makes me mad.

22. November 3, 2011 / 9:36 am

Great purchases! I think I am a little bit of both. Sometimes I have a hole to fill in my wardrobe and am looking for something specific. But I have problem with impulse control sometimes too! Something to work on : )

23. November 3, 2011 / 12:41 pm

Am I an impulse shopper??

4mths ago – 99% of my purchases were impulse buys.
    Now – 10% are impulse buys.

It hasn’t been easy.

Well done you for taking a considered approach to your latest shopping treats. Inspiring.

24. November 3, 2011 / 1:48 pm

Good for you Adrienne, taking time to carefully consider your purchases, all excellent choices.

You scarf is gorgeous.

I couldn’t help noticing that your Vanelli pumps have the same bow design as my red Vanelli Genies that I love so much. Here’s a link to the shoes:

25. November 3, 2011 / 2:01 pm

I used to be an impulsive shopper to be sure….retail therapy WAS my mode of cope. Now, not so much. I am a very deliberate shopper now and find my satisfaction is higher than it used to be with my purchases! BTW, I love those burgandy flats…they would get a workout in my closet as well!

26. November 3, 2011 / 3:34 pm

Your choices are all great! the burgundy ones – perfect for the H. scarf!!

I’m starting to make progress for me it has been buying for the old me/life I had. I was still buying business type clothes … finally I have noticed the last couple of pieces have been current life/me appropriate. Posts on fashion (images) such as the ones you have done an others publish on their blogs, have really been helpful tools for me.

Wishing you a wonderful day! xo HHL

27. November 3, 2011 / 3:41 pm

Love the shoe choices, especially the blue wedges!

I am definitely a planned shopper now, I used to be a bad impulsive shopper previously. But after making so many bad choices and buying cheap stuff just because it was on sale or whatever or picking trendy pieces which would either not fit properly or fall apart after barely a season, I now favour quality over quantity and plan my purchases carefully. I think I’m discovering what my personal style is and dressing accordingly.

28. November 3, 2011 / 6:40 pm

I wax and wane between the 2. BUT I hate to miss out on a bargain so will take a punt, buy, and then return it if it is no good!

29. November 3, 2011 / 7:58 pm

For me, out of sight means out of mind. When I was living in a big city, I was impulsive as hell. But now that I’ve moved to a smaller city with fewer malls and stuff, I find myself giving a lot less importance to ‘stuff’ in general and shopping in particular. And somehow, online shopping doesn’t tempt me that much.

30. November 4, 2011 / 2:26 am

I think its probably a little of both. I used to be a clotheshorse, I still appreciate them but live in sweat pants and sneakers now as my entire life has revolved around the volunteer work and home building so I am not “really dressing up much’. Hopeuflly when I move I will get my life back a litlte, went to lunch the other day with a friend and dressed up a little and it felt kind of strange!!
    There was a store near me that had Frye boots off 30% and I called Zappos and they matched the price and sent them to me free overnight. Now THATS service!!
    I do often spend more on things that I wear non stop and many season, like boots and bags. I tend to use them for years….but don’t shop hardly ever anymore. And there is nothing like getting a deal…thats the best!

31. November 4, 2011 / 5:57 am

Happy Birthday, Adrienne!

I tend to shop with control–and increasingly so as my wardrobe feels more and more finished. That’s not to say that everything planned/thought about works out. It doesn’t. Nonetheless, I plan; I have to–I like more expensive things.

The shoes and booties are fabulous, and I love that scarf so much!