1 Item, 5 Ways: Black Sheath Dress

1 Item, 5 Ways: Black Sheath Dress

I am teaming up with the stunning Amy of lowcarbhighstyle for her “January 1 item, 5 ways” post. I read Amy’s December post featuring her faux fur vest worn 5 ways (actually, 6) and asked if I could join her this month. She’s so kind; she readily agreed.

You’ve seen my black sheath dress quite a bit on the blog. I bought it at Bon Marché thrift shop in Sonoma back in November for $5.00, then had it altered for another $20.00. For only $25.00, I’ve been able to wear this dress five times, five different ways.

The first time I wore the dress was to my husband’s fire department holiday party in December.

I’m trying to post photos I haven’t used before.
Pardon the absence of my feet in the photo.

I wore it again New Year’s Eve.

Then I tried a work look with a belt and a white button-down (thrifted, $3.99) underneath.

And just the other day, I added a touch of color and layered it with a cobalt blue H & M shirt and textured stockings.

Finally, in an effort to wear my one and only Hermès scarf more often, I tied the scarf around my neck and wore an ancient leopard jacket I bought in 1996.

There you have it! One dress, five ways.
Aside from jeans, it’s my most versatile piece.
What item in your wardrobe is the most versatile?

****It’s not too late to participate in “How I Wear My: Lace”. Just email a photo to me or Jill of yourself wearing your lace piece no later than the end of day on January 31st. It can be anything from a lace dress to a lacy pair of gloves, even lace jewelry or shoes.
Be sure to tell us a bit about your item and we will will feature you.****

1. January 31, 2012 / 9:29 am

It is indeed a very versatile piece! I think my 2 favourites are the white shirt and knee high boots and the last one!

2. January 31, 2012 / 9:32 am

Nicely done! There’s a good reason an LBD is considered classic…

3. January 31, 2012 / 9:40 am

That dress looks gorgeous on you. You’ve created 5 good looks with it and I bet you can come up with even more. I don’t have anything that versatile – wish I did.

4. January 31, 2012 / 9:53 am

What a great wardrobe staple…my favorite look is the New Year’s one with your hair up and all of the beads ~ very elegant!

5. January 31, 2012 / 11:11 am

Great use of one dress, Adrienne.

I really like the dress with scarf and leopard print jacket. That’s bold, and it came off well. You look really stunning, chic. And the way you blended the colors is something to be admired. I think that is a winner. If you walked into a shop anywhere I happened to be, I can bet you would have impressed me.

I thought you looked lovely on New Year’s Eve. I thought that whole ensemble worked really well with your hairdo. The jewelry jazzed up the dress. I think someone said in a previous post that you reminded them of Audrey Hepburn. So true. And very classic at Christmas when it was a simple look for the Holiday party.

The dress with the white shirt, belt, and boots is a cute look. I like that, too.

I also like the blue cobalt shirt, necklace, and dress a lot together, but you lost me with the stocking and shoes, but that’s me. It’s a little too trendy for me. I think the outfit would look cute with some embellished ballet flats from JCrew or Tory Burch. Maybe with the stockings, maybe not. I don’t know. It may not even be the hose as much as the shoes for me, but it’s not you..it’s me. I’m not in love with that look when I see it magazines.

Well done. I’ve enjoyed this post. I owe you an e-mail, and I’ll get on that.

6. January 31, 2012 / 11:13 am

lace is my passion, I search the world to find the best quality lace, but I don’t have my pics on this computer, can I send tomorrow? Love your blog by the way!

7. January 31, 2012 / 11:30 am

So well-done, Adrienne! I think I love the last look the most – who could resist that jacket? I will try to do a similar post this month, sounds like fun!

8. January 31, 2012 / 2:53 pm

I like the last one the best!
    I am inspired to see how I can mix and match some of my items!

9. January 31, 2012 / 3:11 pm

I love it as a LBD and the last one is a STUNNER! So cool and it all works great together. Nicely done, ma chere. xo Bliss

10. January 31, 2012 / 3:52 pm

Your LBD 5 ways proves how valuable these mainstays are in our wardrobes.

I have been tagged by materfamilias and later this afternoon I’ll be tagging you…
    it involves telling readers a few personal details about yourself.
    Hope you can join in.

Hostess

11. January 31, 2012 / 4:16 pm

I’d seen all the looks but the last one, and it’s probably my favorite – so unexpected and so beautiful. I feel so lazy about the way I dress whenever I read your blog, but then again I’m a painter, so I’m sort of limited in my everyday wear. Still, you make me want to pay more attention. All great looks.

12. January 31, 2012 / 4:28 pm

What a versatile dress! My favorite garmet quality. That last look is really stunning. By the way I tagged you for meme, I hope you don’t mind. The details are posted at my blog

13. January 31, 2012 / 4:42 pm

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) So glad you like the last one. I wasn’t sure it was a pattern mix that really worked. Pattern mixing can be very tricky!

I liked the white shirt, too. I think my new nerdy glasses might look just right with that outfit.

14. January 31, 2012 / 4:45 pm

I love them all, you would never know it is the same dress! And yes to next month! : )

15. January 31, 2012 / 4:48 pm

@La Vie Quotidienne The New Year’s Eve look was the most fun. The dress was the ideal item to show off the necklace…so simple.

Thank you Adrienne!

xo, A

16. January 31, 2012 / 4:58 pm

@Hines-Sight The last look seems to be the winner! And to think it was going to bomb. This is why I need to blog about my fashion choices 🙂

I tried flats with the dress – some burgundy ballet flats and it was not a good look. Maybe black ballet flats would work with the cobalt blue top.

I think my ankles and calves are too spindly for booties with dresses and skirts. They make the upper part of my body look so big in comparison. From now on, I will wear the booties with pants and jeans only. That whole look may be on its way out anyway.

Thank you for your input, Leigh! xo

17. January 31, 2012 / 5:00 pm

@Alexandra P Oh, please do send it along either to me or to Jill at Everything Just So (on my blog roll). We can always add you after it’s published!

Thank you!

18. January 31, 2012 / 5:05 pm

@Patti @ NotDeadYet Style It is such an old jacket – it’s probably the thing I have worn most in my wardrobe.
    I wasn’t sure the patterns would work, but I suppose they did! So far, it’s the winner!

19. January 31, 2012 / 5:31 pm

@Suburban Princess Thanks! I am going to take the month of February to stop buying stuff and concentrate on my existing wardrobe. It will be lots of mixing and matching!

20. January 31, 2012 / 5:33 pm

@steppingmywaytobliss I am so happy you like the last photo! I wasn’t sure it would fly as proper pattern mixing. But it looks as though it did! Merci! xo

21. January 31, 2012 / 5:39 pm

@kathy peck That is great, Kathy! I am thrilled you like the last look – I was taking some chances there. I am not very experienced with pattern mixing. This is why I love having a blog (I hesitate to say “fashion blog” because that is rather limiting and I am no fashion plate) where I feature outfits. I get such great constructive feedback from you and others. I do think my style has improved over the last year and a half.

I spend many days wearing jeans and simple sweaters – hardly worthy of a blog post. But I do have to dress up a little sometimes, most frequently for work. If I painted, I would be dressed very casually and comfortably, too.
    Thanks again, Kathy!

22. January 31, 2012 / 5:39 pm

Hi Adrienne,

You have really gotten a lot of mileage out of that dress and they are all great looks on you. Love the most recent combination…what a cool jacket!

I would say definitely my dark wash trouser jeans are my most versatile piece because I can dress them up or down, wear them with flats or high heels.

23. January 31, 2012 / 5:42 pm

@Amy Yay for next month. I look forward to finding out what you select for us! xoxo

24. January 31, 2012 / 5:45 pm

@LRS4AMANDA I like how every time I wear it, the cost per wear goes down. I am a $5 now, I wonder if I can get 25 wears out of it for a buck an outfit?

I used to have a pair of dark wash trouser jeans – they were very versatile until they got too big for me. A great pair of dressy jeans is really the best, most versatile item to own. Unless you are a dress up person, which I am not save for work a couple days a week. xo, A

25. February 1, 2012 / 8:11 am

Oh black dresses are just so easy, I’m tired of clothes just now and that’s all I want to wear.

26. February 1, 2012 / 3:46 pm

@Tabitha I’ve gone many years without wearing dresses – very tall and long waisted. It’s so refreshing for me to wear an LBD. They are so easy to accessorize!

27. February 1, 2012 / 5:57 pm

My black sheath has been very good to me, it’s very similar to yours but has ruffles at the bottom (kinda Audrey Hepburn style from Breakfast at Tiffanys). Love it and it has saved me when I had nothing else to wear.

Your looks are fantastic – I always love to see what outfits you come up with because we’re both in the tall club. Thanks for that! xx

28. February 1, 2012 / 11:10 pm

I absolutely loved it on NYE with all the necklaces! You were like Audrey Hepburn 🙂

29. February 2, 2012 / 10:28 am

You’re so creative! I like each of the stylings, but the last one with the leopard jacket and scarf is my favorite.

30. February 11, 2012 / 10:04 am

Love this dress…you are very creative! I’ll bet you’re a light packer when you travel!

31. July 13, 2012 / 4:10 am

All five of them do it for me and really stylish in different way. I like