How I Wear My: Statement Necklace

For January’s “How I Wear My” post, it’s high glamour time! Jill of Everything Just So and I are loving our statement necklaces. As always, we invited readers, fellow bloggers and friends to join us by submitting photos of themselves wearing their statement necklaces.

And many of you joined us!

This month we have ten participants. So grab a hot cup of tea, make yourself comfortable and get ready to see some fabulous neck candy.

New Year’s Eve, Bill and I veered away from our standard “stay-at-home-and-watch-tv” for New Year’s Eve and hit the town. We met friends for drinks then had a late dinner, just the two of us, at a local Swiss restaurant.

I was more than motivated to go out having recently purchased this 10 strand faux pearl necklace at my favorite local jewelry boutique, Bling! in Montgomery Village, Santa Rosa, and could not wait to wear it.

I went all out and had my hair professional done. She created a beautifully classic up-do for me that suited my outfit and my personality. And it was sturdy; not a hair fell out of place all evening.

I wore my $5.00 black sheath dress, Calvin Klein black pumps and a vintage evening bag, thrifted for $7.00. I opted for no other jewelry, no even a watch, except for simple pearl earrings and my wedding set.

Since the evening was chilly, I wore my Zara coat with gold buttons and zippered pockets.

The best thing about this necklace besides its obvious fabulousness? It is actually two necklaces. It made the price so much easier to justify when purchasing; two for the price of one.

Together, it looks like this:

The shorter, 6 strand choker necklace is the main necklace.

And this longer 4 strand necklace attaches to the main necklace, or can be worn on its own.

This isn’t a necklace I can wear in its entirety often. It’s a special occasion piece and it’s very heavy. It weighed in at just over a pound.

For a more delicate and refined look, Jill shows us not one, but two stunning statement necklaces.

Be sure to visit Jill’s blog for more about these brilliant pieces.

Our friend, Catherine of Aesthetic Alterations has been making us all envious by spending weeks on end in Paris. She recently acquired this splendid horn necklace at a Paris Hermés boutique.

Leigh, from Hines-Sight Blog sent me these great photos of a necklace she’s had for quite some time.

Here’s what Leigh has to tell us about her piece:

My mom gave this simple necklace to me in 1989.   It was bought at a boutique in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.  It is sterling silver with six beads that resemble a “charm” look. This necklace was before its time really. In the late 80’s, and early 90’s most people were still wearing “real” or what I call, “jewelry-store jewelry” and artistic, handmade pieces weren’t as popular then.   In the mid-90’s when more and more people started wearing local artisan-style jewelry, this necklace began to shine with compliments.  I’ve worn it for 22 years now.  When my son was about two, he pulled on a bead and it broke.  Luckily, a local store specializing in handmade jewelry with beads, fixed it for me.  Having two kids under six, I have a very relaxed, casual style most days, and I wear this necklace probably more than any piece of jewelry I own because it goes with a lot of colors.  The length is right on my neck, and it works with a lot of necklines, and even works with turtlenecks.  In this photo, it is worn with a grey tank top, a cardigan-type sweater, and jeans.  I wear it a lot in the summer with shorts, and colored tees.”

Here is beautiful Leigh wearing her necklace with her handsome then-fiancé, now husband, in 2002.

Pam from Over50Feeling40 shows us her big, bold and eye-cathing statement necklace. You can’t get much more statement than this beauty.

Pam’s necklace is from a local designer (Pam lives in San Antonio, Texas) and the pendant is from Greece. Pam is posting about her necklace on her blog today; click over and see what else she has to tell us about this magnificent piece.

Josephine from Chicatanyage received this spectacular pearl choker from her husband for a significant birthday about a year ago.

In a word, this necklace is exquisite.

The gorgeous Amy of Lowcarbhighstyle sent me this photo. Tell me she doesn’t look like a professional model.

Here’s what Amy says about her necklace:

“I decided my little black dress was the perfect way to show off a statement necklace on New Year’s Eve. I just got this necklace from the holiday catalog from the jewelry line I sell, Premier Designs, and I’m so glad I did! Looking forward to remixing with casual items as well.”

Amy wrote a post about her necklace and her New Year’s Eve celebration; head over to visit her.

Catherine from Not Dressed as Lamb has such a unique, colorful and modern style. She continually inspires me to wear more color, mix patterns and try new looks.

Catherine just returned from a weekend in London where she wore this statement necklace over her coat to Covent Gardens.

Debbi from She Accessorizes Well wears her Chico’s 25th Anniversary statement necklace with a sparkly jacket and floral top for New Year’s Day.

Debbi says of her special purchase:

“I got it on eBay. I don’t wear it often as it is really ornate. It takes just the right outfit to make it shine. I do love it as it has ladybugs and flowers, two of my favorite things.”

Last, but certainly not least, is my friend and shopping partner, Bliss.

Bliss has a *thing* for classic-looking vintage and antique items. I wasn’t surprised in the least when she sent these photos of a recent purchase to me.

It’s so Bliss!

It’s a vintage-inspired necklace she purchased at a local boutique.  Here’s what Bliss has to tell us about it:

“I have only had it a couple of weeks.  I wear it whenever.  I don’t save things like this for “special” occasions.  So I wore it as I traveled to jazz up my outfit.  But I have worn it to church a couple of times.  Someone will always comment on it…it is an attention grabber.  Most women love pearls–thus they love this necklace.  It was only $28.00″

In February, the month of Valentines, love and romance, we are going to tip our sartorial hats to that most romantic of fabrics—lace. It doesn’t have to be just bridal or boudoir. So get creative with lace, send Jill or me a picture of you wearing it, and we’ll include you in our “How I Wear My: Lace” post on February 1!

1. January 3, 2012 / 5:18 am

Some great necklaces and I love yours. A statement necklace can really enhance an otherwise simple outfit and draws attention to the face. Thanks for including my pearls. best wishes

2. January 3, 2012 / 5:29 am

All of these are gorgeous and so much fun to look over…I love your mega strands of pearls with the black..so classic!! Thanks for including me in your post today!!

3. January 3, 2012 / 5:48 am

You look like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s! What a fabulous roundup. I’ve been on the lookout for the right statement necklace for a while, am inspired by all of these!

4. January 3, 2012 / 7:11 am

@Chicatanyage Your pearls are gorgeous. What a lovely gift from your husband.
    I find wearing a statement necklace makes dressing up simple. Nothing is complicated about a classic black dress and eye-catching necklace.

Thank you for participating today.

5. January 3, 2012 / 7:16 am

you are gorgeous, the necklace is gorgeous. the pic of you in front of the tree belongs in a magazine! happy new year.

6. January 3, 2012 / 7:17 am

You look gorgeous, and your statement necklace is perfection! And the round-up of statement necklaces is candy for the eyes : >

7. January 3, 2012 / 7:19 am

Oh I wish I had been on the ball…I have what I call a Wilma Flintstone necklace that would’ve been perfect for this post! Next time!

8. January 3, 2012 / 7:21 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 Pam, Thank you very much for playing along. I have so enjoyed seeing all the many variations of statement necklace and your really stands out. You must receive so many comments about it when you wear it.

9. January 3, 2012 / 7:29 am

Oh my God! I am so dying over that pearl necklace of yours. Love that you weighed it. You looked so gorgeous for New Year’s Eve. It’s so great to see everyone’s lovely necklaces, all different, all wonderful! XO, Jill

10. January 3, 2012 / 7:38 am

Wow, all those necklaces are awesome!!! And you look like a celebrity, Adrienne!!

11. January 3, 2012 / 7:44 am

One of my “resolutions” of the new year, is about living an life of authenticity, and that includes anything, even something like comments on a blog.
    If everyone just “oooooo” and aaahhhhhs” over everything, there seems to be no real point?
    So, here are my thoughts about your necklace. I think it’s a very strong and beautiful piece, but my favorite shot of you in it, is when you have your coat on, and part of it is “hidden”. I think your hair looked so gorgeous up, but with the necklace, I think it would have worked better down, cascading over the necklace, again, giving us “peeks” at it, a bit more fun. I think you can wear it under shirts, with a tee shirt, and cardigan or blazer over. That’s the way I would like it best on you. I think if you wear your hair up with that dress, a statement bracelet would be better. And from the previous post, I totally agree. Cobalt and the right shade of red look fantastic on you. So, I hope you aren’t bothered by my honesty here, as you know I think you’re gorgeous in a grain sack – which would like very good with the necklace, quite unexpected!

12. January 3, 2012 / 8:06 am

@déjà pseu I do hope you find a great statement necklace. They are such fun! I bet you could find some deals on them this time of year.

13. January 3, 2012 / 8:32 am

Those pearls are absolutely stunning, you look gorgeous!! And how cool that it seperates into 2 pieces. Sounds like such a fun night too! All of these ladies have such great looks and beautiful statement necklaces, I’m proud to be among them. : ) Looking forward to next month’s lace feature!

14. January 3, 2012 / 8:41 am

@Suburban Princess Darn! I should have reminded you in one of our emails. How about joining us for lace next month??

15. January 3, 2012 / 9:10 am

You look beautiful Adrienne, very Audrey Hepburn! Great post – I loved seeing everyone’s necklace of choice.

16. January 3, 2012 / 9:45 am

I absolutely love your statement necklace and the fact that it is two in one even better! I love this series and will try to submit a photo in lace for next month!

17. January 3, 2012 / 10:11 am

That really is a great necklace! And your hairstylist did a gorgeous job on your hair. And I agree with Janet’s comment. 🙂

Quite a variety of cool necklaces out there. Thanks for sharing!

18. January 3, 2012 / 10:49 am

FAB outfit and necklace Adrienne! Wow. I must find one like that!! (Lovin’ the LBD too).

The other necklaces are great too!

19. January 3, 2012 / 10:55 am

You look fantastic from head to toe, and I love it that you do care to look good!

20. January 3, 2012 / 11:10 am

You look like Audrey Hepburn in these photos! Gorgeous. Great post, great idea!

21. January 3, 2012 / 11:49 am

Fun post, Adrienne–thanks for asking us to participate. I wish I had spent a little more time on my photo but that’s what you get first thing in the AM before hitting the road for a 12 hour ride. ; ) I love that your necklace has the two options–very cool. And your hair–amazing! ~~Bliss

22. January 3, 2012 / 1:14 pm

Adrienne you look AB-SO-LUTE-LY BEAUTIFUL in your dress and pearls… what a killer outfit!!! The other ladies look wonderful too, I think that statement necklaces/shoes/anything really make an outfit!

Thank you so much for including me in my statement necklace, you’ve got me thinking about lace now…:)

Catherine x

23. January 3, 2012 / 1:42 pm

Happy New Year my friend! You look absolutely stylish and elegant!! These ladies all are showing some fabulous neck ware… Hmmm … I may have to give wearing the long necklaces a try… I stopped wearing them when I started needing help to put them on.. but the long ones could easily slip over my head…

Wishing you a blessing fill 2012!! xo HHL

24. January 3, 2012 / 3:09 pm

Well, I am going to ooooooo and aaaaaaaaaah till the cows come home on this one! You do look like Audrey, love your hair up and the necklace(s) are just divine.

Really enjoyed seeing everyone else as well. This was a fun post Adrienne.

25. January 3, 2012 / 5:04 pm

Wow! That really is a statement!
    Gorgeous – and your looked fantastic too.

26. January 3, 2012 / 5:39 pm

Great post! Enjoyed everyone’s eye candy. You, my dear, look stunning!

27. January 3, 2012 / 8:01 pm

Your hair looks great, the hairdresser did a wonderful job. I like the necklaces, and statement ones really pop and make themselves stand out when they are worn with plain outfits. Well done!

28. January 3, 2012 / 8:28 pm

Eye candy overload in this post! I really, really like your necklace, especially with the beautiful hair. Coco Chanel would be so proud.

29. January 3, 2012 / 9:26 pm

Love that necklace. It’s funny I was just trying on a similar necklace yesterday. Love the up-do too. xo

30. January 4, 2012 / 1:22 am

Adrienne, you look AMAZING in that dress! And the hair and necklace just top it off perfectly!
    I loved seeing all the different statement necklaces worn differently, I really need to get one! xo

31. January 4, 2012 / 2:31 am

great blog!!!

visit my blog…!!!

kisses!!!

32. January 4, 2012 / 2:43 am

great blog!!!

visit my blog…!!!

kisses!!!

33. January 4, 2012 / 7:52 am

You look drop-dead gorgeous: a tall Audrey Hepburn with guns. I shy away from necklaces because I feel so self-conscious with them up around my neck and hanging on my chest. I know we tall girls need a bigger statement than just the simple chain and tiny pendant I wear. Maybe 2012 will be the year I get a bigger necklace and wear it — maybe this warrants a trip to Paris so I can get a horn necklace like our lovely Catherine?

34. January 4, 2012 / 8:04 am

@jill815 I had to know how much that sucker weighs! You can really feel the heaviness of it on your neck. A couple of weeks before I bought it, I tried on its cousin, the same necklace in silvery-charcoal (black) pearls. I loved it, then figured I wouldn’t ever wear it because of its weight. Once I discovered it could be separated, I was sold and opted for the white pearls since I already have that silvery-charcoal statement choker necklace.

It has been fun seeing everyones’ necklaces. I am already excited about next month’s “lace” post. You know it’s only 4 weeks away!
    xoxo, A

35. January 4, 2012 / 8:10 am

@beingFab

There are some awesome necklaces here…and thank you!

36. January 4, 2012 / 8:15 am

@kathy peck Not bothered by honesty and criticism – ever. As long as it is in the spirit of being helpful.

My hairdresser suggested a half-up, half-down look on me and I told her I wanted it all up. I can’t create an up-do myself – not talented enough – so I had her play around.

I do think you are right that the necklace looks better hidden under the coat. I wore the coat all evening because it was too chilly to wear it where we dined.

I am going to try to wear it in a casual way soon. Bill gave me a black button down shirt from J Crew for xmas that might look good with it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and suggestions!

A

37. January 4, 2012 / 8:31 am

@amy The fact that this necklace is not one, but two sealed the deal for me. I am certain I will wear them separately more than together.

Thank you so very much for joining us this month. I look forward to seeing what you’ve got for us for February’s “lace” post!

38. January 4, 2012 / 8:32 am

@Sulky Kitten Thank you, SK. I did feel a little Holly Golightly – a really tall and bigger boned version 🙂

39. January 4, 2012 / 8:34 am

@Fashion By Alicia I do hope you’ll participate next month. I will be putting up reminders as we get closer.

40. January 4, 2012 / 8:37 am

@LRS4AMANDA Adelina did do a fantastic job on my hair. I don’t have easy hair to work with when it comes to up-dos.

We do have such a great selection of necklaces…looking forward to seeing what everyone has to show off for “lace”!

xo, A

41. January 4, 2012 / 8:38 am

@LR @ Magnificent or Egregious I think they still have one or two of these necklaces at Bling. Let me know if you really do want one…I can pick it up for you and ship it north 🙂

My thrifted LBD is the best the thing to ever happen to my current wardrobe. I am so thrilled I found it.

42. January 4, 2012 / 8:40 am

@Miss Lego I do care to look good, but I didn’t always. I went through a long phase of not bothering to look decent and had given up. Thankfully, those days are behind me. I care! A lot!

43. January 4, 2012 / 8:42 am

i am a HUUUUGe fan of statement necklaces! I actually did a post of my favorite ones a while back!!! LOVE yours…the pearls are always a great go to! You look just beautiful!

xoxo
    Aarean

p.s. come check out my custom blog design giveaway! I think you might like it! 🙂
    colorissue.blogspot.com

44. January 4, 2012 / 8:46 am

@Marie a la Mode Audrey was who I had in mind when I put the outfit together. It was fun to to experiment with a new look.

45. January 4, 2012 / 8:47 am

@steppingmywaytobliss I think your photos are great – the lighting in the body shot was a little dim, but it was good enough to get an idea of how you wore your pretty necklace.

I hope you’ll join us again in February for “lace”. I know you must have some vintage lace somewhere, no?

xoxo, A

46. January 4, 2012 / 9:54 am

Will look great with the black shirt, but don’t forget how beautiful pearls look with a white shirt too. Could be beautiful with your white shirt, pearls, pleather vest?

47. January 4, 2012 / 2:18 pm

I am so bummed that I missed the Statement Necklace post!! With all of the recent goings-on, I dropped the ball on a number of things. Well, glad to hear you had a nice New Year’s Eve and here’s to a great 2012!

48. January 4, 2012 / 3:05 pm

Great look! Layering necklaces is so much fun. And love the fancy up-do!

49. January 4, 2012 / 4:34 pm

That is an amazing necklace!!! I love that you can split it up though too. You look fabulous!

50. January 5, 2012 / 8:15 pm

You are definitely rocking that necklace, and the hair looks fab – you definitely have a keeper in that hair dresser!

51. Pingback: Geek Chic