Visible Monday: 2011 Revisit

Visible Monday: 2011 Revisit
Happy 2012!

Oh, how I would LOVE to show you what I wore New Year’s Eve in today’s post, but I must save it for tomorrow’s “How I Wear My: Statement Necklace” post* because it includes the most fantastic necklace.

And since I haven’t been anywhere the last few days, outside of our New Year’s Eve date, I’ve worn nothing of interest. Unless you find old fire department sweatshirts and yoga pants interesting.

Instead of featuring a new outfit for Visible Monday I am cheating a smidge and revisiting a few new-to-me fashions I embraced in 2011.

I’m starting with my most daring: white jeans. Putting aside a long held fear that white pants make my thighs look huge, I donned white jeans last July, for the first time since the ’80’s.

And have worn them numerous times since, even in winter.

Scarves weren’t on my radar until I started blogging. I read so many posts about Hermès scarves and how to tie them, what to wear them with, where to buy them, and how to care for them that I finally gave scarf-wearing a try myself. The power of suggestion, you know.

I bought two scarves in Italy in 2010 and finally got around to wearing one last March.

Soon thereafter, I acquired an Hermès scarf of my very own, purchased from my dear friend, Bliss. I have worn it several times, but haven’t put an outfit together for the blog….must do that soon.

I now have a small collection of eight silk scarves (nearly all used) that I wear often. The scarf I wear the most is vintage Dior. When I met Catherine of Aesthetic Alterations last April, who is a connoisseur of Hermès scarves, I tied it around my neck and did a little pattern mixing by wearing it with stripes.

Lovely Bliss is responsible for this scarf, too. She found it for me on etsy.com. That Bliss has excellent taste in scarves.

I welcomed bright colors in 2011 like this hot pink trench,

cobalt top,

and bright red jacket.

In November, I tried my hand at thrift store and consignment shopping. I was fortunate enough to find some wonderful second-hand items. These are my four favorites:

CAbi sweater, $3.99, thrifted.

J. Crew khaki blazer in my perfect size, 10 Tall, for $32.00, consigned.

Black Sheath Dress, $5.00, thrifted.

H & M jacket with removable faux fur collar, $22.00, consigned.

I am proud of myself for stepping out of my comfort zone in 2011. Working on developing my own style and discovering what flatters me and what doesn’t was a goal of mine last year. This year, I plan on continuing my efforts. I already have several ideas I’d like to play with this year, including:

~ Skinny animal print belts
~ New color combinations
~ A yet-to-be-worn hat
~ More fun with my new brooch
~ Creating a men’s look that’s not too manly
~ Giving my Hermès scarf a good workout

1. January 1, 2012 / 4:35 pm

How i wish I could wear white pants and look this good! I also love the red jacket! And the Hermes scarf of course!

2. January 1, 2012 / 4:45 pm

I agree with TDM ! I think you look great in all your colourful outfits. As for white jeans, you look great in them. I also now only wear narrow belts and I love a severely cut suit. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with this year. Happy New year Adrienne!

3. January 1, 2012 / 5:20 pm

So many great looks through the year, Adrienne! The bright colors – hot pink, red and cobalt – really suit you beautifully. Thanks so much for linking up to Visible Monday!

4. Gigi
    January 1, 2012 / 5:37 pm

Happy New Year! My 5 year old was looking at this post with me and he says you look good in all of these outfits and that you are pretty. 🙂

5. January 1, 2012 / 6:05 pm

I agree with TDM! You are an inspiration!

I can’t wait to see your outfit for new year’s eve and bet you knocked everyone’s socks off!

xo Cat

6. January 1, 2012 / 6:12 pm

The Distressed Mother beat me to the comment! You make anything look good, Adrienne.

Happy new year to you and yours!

xoxo —
    Marsi

7. January 1, 2012 / 7:48 pm

Oh, I’m learning about the statement necklace thing too late to participate! It was interesting to review your year with you–I think the experimenting with color was my favorite. I remember though that I learned about you after you met up with Catherine.

8. January 1, 2012 / 9:22 pm

So many great outfit picks! My goal is to inject more colour into my wardrobe and be a little bolder with my wardrobe picks this year! And have my clothes properly tailored so everything fits better.

9. January 2, 2012 / 2:31 am

Very chic outfits and I look forward to your more colourful outfits of 2012. I am a statement necklace girl myself. XX

10. January 2, 2012 / 5:00 am

You do look fab in all of these outfits! I have lots of long scarves, but only wear them in winter as it is waaay too hot in summer here. THere is nothing in between. I just love the black dress, and yes I agree, you have the figure for anything!

11. January 2, 2012 / 6:04 am

Those are all such great looks. Oddly, my favorite is the sweater with the faux fur collar! There are many of those out there that I don’t care for, but yours looks so sumptuous.

12. January 2, 2012 / 6:23 am

Adrienne, Adrienne–you look marvelous in all the outfit. You have a statuesque figure that allows you to pull off so many varieties with flair and chic. And of course the scarves are fabulous (thanks for the mention ;)). ~~Bliss

13. January 2, 2012 / 6:48 am

I’m curious how you truly feel about the colors you’ve tried to embrace. Which colors you’d really incorporate into your wardrobe, which you’d drop, etc.
    And like everyone has said – you’d look great in a grain sack.
    Looking forward to your post tomorrow….and your statement necklace!

14. January 2, 2012 / 6:58 am

Happy New Year!

You’ve done a great job putting outfits together.

My two favorites from all of these are:

Cabi sweater look. It really looks chic.

And the H and M Fur sweater look.

I also love the hot pink trench.

The jcrew blazer is classic, too.

Happy New Year!

15. January 2, 2012 / 8:21 am

Adrienne, You have been am inspiration to me this year. Because of you I have been trying to wear more color and my scarves. I got a pair of dark blue Hunter Wellies for my Christmas present and it’s because you looked so cute in your black ones!

I think I love the red and black outfit on you the best. You really do look so good in bright color.

Enjoyed this review post!

Kim:)

16. January 2, 2012 / 9:01 am

@The Distressed Mother Oh, TDM, I wish that were true. If you saw some of the horrid photos that don’t make it onto the blog, you might not think so. But thank you for the lovely and humorous compliment. xo, A

17. January 2, 2012 / 9:02 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 I rather surprised I have not worn the Hermes scarf on my blog once. And I’ve had it for nearly a year.

I never thought I could wear white pants either…give it a try! You might be surprised.

18. January 2, 2012 / 9:03 am

@Sulky kitten A severely cut suit sounds chic and flattering! I’d love to find one myself.
    I bought two skinny belts a few weeks ago on discount and haven’t yet played around with them. They are my next wardrobe project.

Happy New Year, SK!

19. January 2, 2012 / 9:24 am

Love this fashionable recap. What a super idea. You embraced some great trends. This week my fashion feature is about breaking out of a fashion rut. I ditched the skinnies for a new pair of jeans.

20. January 2, 2012 / 10:44 am

You look fabulous in all your outfits. I only wish my thighs were as small as yours!!! We are all critical of ourselves and we should not be. I have been working on embracing my body as it is. Not easily done, but I am working on it.

21. January 2, 2012 / 11:25 am

@Gigi Oh my gosh, Gigi! That is the cutest darn thing I’ve heard in a long time. Give that darling little guy a big hug for me 🙂

22. January 2, 2012 / 12:00 pm

Love your review of your looks for the year. I definitely have become more daring with my looks thanks to blogging. I also did some thrifting. My favorite find was a Michael Kors Jacket for $9.99 Can’t wait to see your NYE look.

23. January 2, 2012 / 1:24 pm

Happy New Year!
    What kind of camera is that?
    Love that you have embraced color!

24. January 2, 2012 / 4:07 pm

So many great looks, Adrienne, and at such bargain prices. So jealous of your thrifting opportunities. I’m looking forward to wearing white jeans for the first time this year since 1980 when I was 9.

25. January 2, 2012 / 9:54 pm

@Terri Oh, too bad. I wish you were joining us.

I hope to wear even more colors this year and play around with new-to-me styles and patterns, too!

26. January 2, 2012 / 9:57 pm

@LR @ Magnificent or Egregious Tailoring your clothes, if you haven’t done so before, will change your life! Okay, maybe it won’t change your life, but you will certainly feel and look better in your outfits.

27. January 2, 2012 / 10:03 pm

@mummaduckaOur weather is pretty mild year round so I can wear a scarf almost anytome. Except the silk scarves are a little too heavy when it’s very warm out.

Happy New Year to you and yours! xo, A

28. January 2, 2012 / 10:04 pm

@Anne @ The Frump Factor I love the faux fur jacket, too. It barely fits me in the arms – a little short – but I still wear it.
    Thanks for stopping by today!

29. January 2, 2012 / 10:06 pm

@steppingmywaytobliss Oh, Bliss. Where would I be without your scarf suggestions? I look forward to getting that Hermes scarf of yours out into the world 🙂

30. January 2, 2012 / 10:10 pm

@kathy peck Good question, Kathy. I feel great in cobalt, a little too young in hot pink, the red is growing on me and the bright green is an outfit away from being donated.
    I like bright colors on me when I see a photo of myself wearing them, but when I’m wearing bright colors, I don’t always feel comfortable.

I hope you like my New Year’s outfit tomorrow!

31. January 2, 2012 / 10:12 pm

@Hines-Sight That CAbi sweater was a great find. I love that thing.

I am excited to get back into thrifting. I know people are cleaning out their closets this time of year and I am bound to find some great stuff.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

32. January 2, 2012 / 10:14 pm

@kim at northerncalstyle. Navy blue Hunters? They sound so chic. Now all we need is some rain around here.

I am thrilled to hear I have inspired you to wear brighter colors and scarves. It’s been lovely getting to know you.

Happy New Year!

33. January 2, 2012 / 10:17 pm

@Nicole Feliciano I look all kinds of horrible in skinny jeans and have ditched mine, too. The only exception is wearing them to tuck into boots.

Thank you for your support. I love linking up to you and the rest of the gals at Monday Mingle.

34. January 2, 2012 / 10:20 pm

@[email protected] Body acceptance is an ongoing challenge. Fortunately, it gets a little easier as we age – at least is has gotten easier for me – as maturity seems to bring a certain confidence where body image is concerned.
    For many, many years I refused to wear white below the waist for fear of looking big. I’m still working on it, but I’m much better than I used to be.

35. January 2, 2012 / 10:23 pm

@fashionoverfifty My camera is a Canon Rebel EOS T2i – I think. We have had it for about three years and love it. But I do fantasize about owning a Canon 5D…maybe someday!

36. January 2, 2012 / 10:23 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

37. January 2, 2012 / 10:26 pm

@Rebekah I would love to see you in a pair of white jeans! Please put that on your resolution list for 2012!

38. January 3, 2012 / 12:17 am

great outfit pictures flashed back. Your style is impeccable. Always simple, stylish and elegant. That simple monochrome outfit is fabulous. You carried the white pants very well, the fitting is perfect and flatters your figure. Keep inspiring for 2012~happy new year!

mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

39. January 6, 2012 / 6:15 am

Love it! You’re gorgeous and these amazing finds prove you don’t have to spend a fortune to look good!

40. January 7, 2012 / 9:25 am

I practically live in white jeans through the Spring/summer months. I have way too many but you can only wear them once so I need multiples. I love Ralph Lauren brand and they fit like a glove. I know a lot of people don’t wear white and I never thought twice about it. I think they look cool and crisp an absolute staple in my wardrobe. You look amazing in your jeans, no more worries for YOU!! You are adorable!
    Kathysue