New Job, Mindful Dressing, Cow Boy Scarf Tie

New Job, Mindful Dressing, Cow Boy Scarf Tie

I start my new job this week!

It’s not really a new job as I’m returning to a former employer, a winery, from about 12 years ago. I am thrilled to be going back. The owners of the winery and all of the employees are warm, friendly and fun to be around.

I’m only working one or two days a week. It won’t be a huge change for me and my family. But, still a change nonetheless.

In my volunteer job, I dress professionally. I usually wear slacks, a pencil skirt or a dress to work; never jeans.

At the winery, it’s a casual environment so I’ll be wearing jeans most of the time. I spent some time Tuesday considering how I want to dress for my first day – “mindful dressing”, if you will  –  taking the following into consideration:

~ Comfort. I will be on my feet all day. Comfortable shoes and comfortable clothing are a must.

~ Wine. Since I will be pouring wine, red wine, throughout the day, it’s probably wise not to wear light colors.

~ Movement. I will be reaching and pouring and carrying as part of my job. I will wear no jangling bracelets, no flowing sleeves.

~ Temperature. It can go from cool to warm and warm to cool in a matter of a couple hours in the Sonoma Valley. Layering is key around here. I’ll bring a blazer or sweater on most days.

~ Stylish. Since I am representing a family I adore and respect immensely, I want to put forth my best in every way, including the way I look.

Striped, long-sleeved H & M shirt with my beloved Christian Dior scarf, Kasil jeans and ancient Stuart Weitzman loafers.

In case you’re wondering, I tied my scarf in the Cow Boy style, like this:

From this fabulous blog

What is so wonderful about mindful dressing for work is that my same considerations apply to travel. I’ve already decided to pack this number in my luggage for our upcoming trip.

In the last month, I have gotten rid of probably 60% or more of my wardrobe, started pre-wearing every outfit I’ll be taking to Europe and now I am selecting my getup days before I wear them. What is happening to me?

Are you a pre-planning, mindful dresser?
Or do you dress on the fly, like I’ve been doing since grade school?

1. February 29, 2012 / 4:56 am

I always put out my clothes the night before, since I’m incapable of good decision making first thing in the morning. Also, a one carry-on bag trip to Europe right after BGHS graduation taught me how to pack carefully!

2. February 29, 2012 / 5:13 am

Dear Adrienne,
    yesterday I watched “Sideways” for the third time and I thought of you ” Adrienne lives in the same area more or less” I thought and guess the following day I read you are going to work in a winery!!! Congrats!!!!
    Hope you don’t get clients like Miles, the character played by Paul Giamatti!
    Ciao!
    Barbara

3. February 29, 2012 / 5:25 am

Congratulations on the job – it sounds like you will enjoy it and the people. You look lovely as always.

4. February 29, 2012 / 5:40 am

Fabulous look, and the scarf will be helpful for keeping your neck warm when the a/c kicks on. The printed scarf with the striped shirt looks very au courrant!

5. February 29, 2012 / 6:14 am

I’m so happy for you re the job. I miss my Bloomingdale’s job and am on the hunt for a 2-3 day a week gig. I love this look, this is pretty much how I dress on a daily basis. Is there a story behind the Christian Dior scarf? Is it thrifted? I really think we should do a scarf post for May. You know I will be busting out new Hermes. Whee! XO, Jill

6. February 29, 2012 / 6:44 am

What a chic look! I love the patten/colors on the scarf with the stripes.
    I am off to see if I can copy your look!
    I dress on the fly. When I worked, I tried to plan out outfits for the week, now, it is just so easy to just select on the fly.

7. February 29, 2012 / 6:47 am

Congratulations on the new job… it sounds like it will be wonderful! Your outfit choice is both stylish and impractical.Love the scarf!!

I certainly need to get in the habit of thoughtful dressing… wishing you a wonderful day!! Celia (HHL)

P.S. we received your wonderful card. Loved the peacock feathers,xo

8. February 29, 2012 / 7:11 am

Love your outfit, so effortlessly chic. I would love to see you in skinnier jeans? I know you think you can’t wear them, but maybe give them a try? Love your hair too. Congratulations on the new job. I’d be sipping away all day long…..

9. February 29, 2012 / 7:16 am

Enjoy our new ” old” job. Comfort is definitely key and your outfit looks great! I am a dress on the fly girl – grab and go. Haha. xxoo

10. February 29, 2012 / 8:30 am

@Ercuan You are smart! I used to lay out clothes when I was a kid – but once I got to high school, there was little point what with our uniform and all. I only had to worry about a top and shoes!

I didn’t know you went to Europe after we graduated. How wonderful! You learned early on to pack light. I grew up spending family vacations in an RV where the sky is almost the limit…bring as much as you want!

11. February 29, 2012 / 8:34 am

Love the outfit!! Classy and beautiful as always…however, what made me actually comment, is your hair. I love your hair like this!! I’m 45, and I have styled my hair like this before, and then changed it because I worry that it won’t look ‘age appropriate’. It looks great on you!!! Thank you for being a wonderful inspiration. 🙂

12. February 29, 2012 / 8:47 am

@lovesjetlag Hi Barbara!

Oh how funny! I forgot all about that movie. I’ll have to watch it again…it’s been years.

The Santa Maria wine region is so gorgeous. If I didn’t live where I live, I would want to move there.
    I hope I don’t get any “Miles” types, too! Yikes!

13. February 29, 2012 / 9:12 am

@déjà pseu You are so right about the neck warmth thing. I recall it being rather chilly in there on hot summer days from the powerful a/c.
    I have had both of these pieces for ages. I am surprised I’ve never paired them together before.

14. February 29, 2012 / 9:22 am

@jill815 I remember how much you liked your Bloomies job. Thankfully, I won’t be working in fashion otherwise my entire paycheck would go towards new purchases (I know how I operate).

My friend Bliss, from Stepping my way to Bliss blog, found it on Etsy for me last year. It is probably my favorite scarf – that and the vintage Hermes of hers that she sold to me. She has excellent taste in scarves, that Bliss.

We should plan on scarves for May….I have been experimenting lots with them lately. I am excited to see your new H scarf, my dear.
    xo, A

15. February 29, 2012 / 9:48 am

Gorgeous! I dont know that I have ever worn a scarf like that…will have to practice before taking it out into the world!

16. February 29, 2012 / 9:52 am

Sounds like a fun job! And you look great in this. Sorry I didn’t get things together in time to participate tomorrow, I will have to aim for the next one!

17. February 29, 2012 / 9:58 am

@[email protected] I can’t remember the last time I planned out an outfit for anything but a party or special occasion. I think the biggest reason I am pre-planning is because I don’t have much to chose from in comparison to how my wardrobe used to be. Before I got rid of lots of things, I figured I wouldn’t have to bother with laying out clothes the night before, I had so many things. Now that I have far less, I need to make sure my clothes are clean and pressed and ready to go. I am sure in time I will get used to this smaller closet, but for right now, it’s still foreign to me.

I hope you try a similar pattern mix, Debbi!
    xo, A

18. February 29, 2012 / 10:33 am

@Celia M. c. So glad you and Dolce got the card. We thoroughly enjoyed the gifts you sent. Tori wanted me to tell you she loved the tea – I gave her a bag to try.
    You are a sweetheart. xoxo, A

19. February 29, 2012 / 10:42 am

This is a great causal look that still looks really put together. I love the way you styled the stripes with the print scarf. Very cute.

20. February 29, 2012 / 10:51 am

I am so excited for you and your new/old job. That sounds very fun. I am a pre-planner. At least in my mind, I always have it planner out. I find that if I just put something on the fly I am usually not happy with my outfit. Your outfit is something I would wear at my job, we are considered business casual. (on Fridays we are allowed jeans). I love how you tied your scarf, thanks for the tutorial.

21. February 29, 2012 / 10:53 am

@kathy peck Okay..you have convinced to embrace the skinny jean. Yikes!
    I am excited about the new job. I will have to watch the wine consumption though with my heart stuff. I get a great discount on wines – I will really need to make sure I don’t use it too often!

22. February 29, 2012 / 10:54 am

@Cathi I’ve been a grab and go person for ages. But now, with my small wardrobe, it’s time to plan – not too much, but at least have an idea what I want to wear. Next time you’re up my way, stop by for a wine tasting! xo

23. February 29, 2012 / 10:55 am

Oh Adrienne, you have my dream job! And you definitely look the part! Agree with Kathy that you would look great in skinny jeans, what do you think? And thanks for the closet inspiration, that is now on my to do list!!

24. February 29, 2012 / 11:36 am

I really, truly do totally adore you! Great style, great attitude, great advice! Thank you!!!

That’s all, as you were. Heehee

25. February 29, 2012 / 1:10 pm

Congratulations on heading back to work. I like your outfit, practical and cute!

26. February 29, 2012 / 5:43 pm

@natalieshawn Hi Natalie (that’s my sister’s name, too),

When it comes to my hair, I don’t worry too much about age-appropriateness. I already have hair that some think is too long for my 44 years. My thoughts are if it’s healthy, and I like it, who cares.

I did question my readers once about a half-up braid ‘do and most agreed it was too young for me. I guess I sort of knew that or I wouldn’t be asking. Just use your best judgment when it comes to your hair. I think dressing for our age is much more challenging.

I wore this side pony for the first time in this post…

it comes with an instructional video.

A

27. February 29, 2012 / 5:45 pm

@Suburban Princess It’s super easy…if I can do it, anyone can. The only fussy thing was the tag placement. If I tied it one way, it was at the end of the triangle. If I tied it the other way, it was at the end where I tie it. Finally, I just cut the darn thing off! Problem solved.

28. February 29, 2012 / 5:47 pm

@lowcarbhighstyle Oh, I knew I could convince you….I’ve got you featured on tomorrow’s post after all.
    And regarding the job, if you and your husband every find yourselves in my neck of the woods, please come by for a tasting. It would be such a delight for me.

29. February 29, 2012 / 5:49 pm

@Fashion By Alicia I really enjoy mixing patterns. Even though I am not as risky as some bloggers I see, I still try to have fun with it and try different mixes. It’s fun to experiment.

30. February 29, 2012 / 5:52 pm

@Carrie Teal I usually do okay by not planning ahead, but this new job required some consideration. I can’t just throw on a pencil skirt, sweater and pumps and call it good like I can at my volunteer job.

Look forward to our post tomorrow! Thank you for playing along. xo

31. February 29, 2012 / 5:57 pm

@Diane Between you and Kathy and one other blogger friend of mine, I think I will have to cave in and try wearing skinny jeans. Eek! I have been told by books and my husband that they are not flattering on me. But I will let my savvy readers decide for me very soon…maybe for Visible Monday?? Again, eek!

The closet thing takes years, not kidding. I have been chipping away at my wardrobe for ages. But eventually you will get there…I am very close to the finish line myself. Now I just have to get used to not having much in the way of clothes. But I remember, everything is loved. No more junk.

32. February 29, 2012 / 5:59 pm

@Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) I am very much looking forward to getting out into the world again and interacting with people on a regular basis.

It’s such an easy way to do my hair. And it works well when my hair isn’t at it’s freshest. Perfect for when you’re trying not to shampoo your hair too often.

33. February 29, 2012 / 6:01 pm

@Sulky Kitten Thanks SK! That was the goal – practical and cute. Not always so easy to achieve. I can easily get one or the other, but rarely both.

34. February 29, 2012 / 6:14 pm

Love the scarf! The outfit looks fabulous on you. Best wishes on the new old job. 🙂

35. February 29, 2012 / 6:16 pm

You look well turned out and ready to tackle your new job.
    I’d be wearing an apron if red wine was involved as I am so messy in the kitchen I can imagine the spills!

Good luck!

36. February 29, 2012 / 7:38 pm

Hi Adrienne,

That is great that you get to work at the winery again…sounds like fun! It was one of my favorite wineries when we were there, too bad I can’t go pay you a visit!

I always dressed professionally at the office but now if I had to get a job, I would want one I could wear jeans at. All that $ I spent on clothes and dry cleaning, yikes.

37. February 29, 2012 / 9:13 pm

In my old work life, I always picked out my clothes the night before, and when I was really on my game, I picked all my clothes for the week on Sunday night 🙂

38. February 29, 2012 / 9:15 pm

@LRS4AMANDA It’s a great winery, isn’t it? I am so excited about working there.

I did okay buying my professional clothes used, but it sure is nice to wear jeans to work. I wear jeans everyday in my non-work life. Plus, you are right about the dry cleaning bills. They really add up!
    xo, A

39. February 29, 2012 / 9:17 pm

@Sara Louise Wow! You were really a planner…a whole week’s worth of outfits. Very impressive!

I hope you’re on the mend, Sara and la grippe has left your home. xoxo, A

40. March 3, 2012 / 10:43 am

Your new job sounds great! I love the striped shirt with the scarf combo, and I love your hair in these pictures!

I’ve definitely become an outfit planner, and try to pick out what I’m going to wear for the week on Sunday night.

41. March 3, 2012 / 5:18 pm

Congrats on the new/old job. This is a perfect look for the job or the trip. I like the way you’ve tied the scarf and hope to try it myself soon.

42. March 6, 2012 / 10:45 am

Congrats on the winery job! You look killer in that outfit – head to toe. Can I just say what a huge fan of low-sweeping side ponytails I am? Looks great on you.

43. March 10, 2012 / 6:12 am

I’m late to the party, but I love the idea of mindful dressing. As I was reading through your criteria, I realized you could be describing my job at a small, private art studio! I will definitely use this technique to think through even a week’s worth of outfits. As a mom of tween girls, I have to strategize my time as much as possible! 😉