The Versatile Blogger Award

The Versatile Blogger Award

It’s been a long time since I have received a blog award. I was just thinking the other day that it would be fun to participate in one again and lo and behold, I was nominated for two Versatile Blogger Awards last week.

First, I was awarded by Carrie of Expressive Style. Please check out Carrie’s blog. You will love how effortlessly the fashionable Carrie creates chic looks by combining new items with great thrifted finds.

A few days later, I was given the award by Jeannie of Gracefully 50. I have a hard time believing beautiful Jeannie is a day over 35. She looks fantastic and has excellent taste (and a handbag collection I dream about).

Thank you Carrie and Jeannie! I appreciate you both for thinking of me.

These are the rules of the Versatile Blogger Award are:

1. Add the Versatile Award photo on a blog post

2. Thank the award-giver and link back to them in your post.

3. Share 7 things about myself.

4. Pass the award along to 15 favorite bloggers.

5. Contact the chosen bloggers to let them know about the award.

1) When I was 22-years-old, I dropped out of college and moved back to Las Vegas, where I grew up, with a boyfriend. I looked high and low for a job and finally found one as a cocktail waitress at a seedy country-western bar in a bad neighborhood called The Silver Dollar Saloon. I worked the 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. shift, five days a week for $20.00 cash per shift, plus tips. After seven months of that, I moved back to San Francisco, re-enrolled in college and got my bachelor’s degree.

A dear friend of mine from high school sent me this shot a few weeks ago.
It’s called the Silver Saddle now, but it looks just the same…kinda like a strip club.

2) I can’t cook without wearing an apron. It’s feels weird and uncomfortable for me to not wear one. In fact, I am currently wearing an apron as I type this as I just made a batch of spaghetti sauce.

3) With the exception of my two years living in a dormitory during college, I’ve always lived with at least one cat…since infancy. Even when my numerous landlords in San Francisco told me I could not have a cat, I had a cat.

Current cat. His name is “Kitty”. He thinks he’s a dog.

4) I’ve never broken a bone. I’ll probably regret putting that in writing.

5) I have a sister, Natalie, who is a brilliant, kind and beautiful 24-year-old. She is getting her Ph.D. in Writing in the U.K. and wants to be a best-selling novelist someday.

6) Prior to moving back to Las Vegas, I lived in San Francisco on the corner of Ashbury and Fell streets, just a short distance from Haight-Ashbury. A few months before I moved, a film crew arrived on my street to film the Oliver Stone movie, The Doors. Loads of extras decked out in groovy ’60’s costumes would walk to and from the costume trailer parked just outside my door all day long. One night, I awoke at 3:00 a.m. to the sound of a cast member singing “Touch Me” at the top of his lungs in the panhandle section of Golden Gate Park. If I could go back in time, I’d change out of my pajamas and head over to join the party!

7) I was in a Supercuts commercial when I was 19 in 1986. I check YouTube every now and then to see if I can find it. So far, no luck.

Happy Friday!

1. February 3, 2012 / 5:20 am

Such a young sister! It might be the first time I read about her here.

Do you miss San Francisco?

I like these awards, like a puzzle that gets more and more complete over time.

You are so right about the club, the photo reminds me of Tony Soprano’s strip-club. Good you survived those 7 months without damages!

2. February 3, 2012 / 5:20 am

So interesting! Hubs and I love looking up cheesy ’80s commercials on youtube (remember the Diolight commercial? look up that one, it’s worth a laugh) so I’ll have to keep an eye out for the Supercuts one! hehe

3. February 3, 2012 / 5:25 am

I love that “Doors” story so much! Take me back with you, if you can : > You have a wonderful blog and are worthy of countless awards, I say, so congratulations and enjoy!

4. February 3, 2012 / 5:30 am

Congratulations, Adrienne!!! Two awards in a row, enough reason to celebrate!!

5. February 3, 2012 / 5:35 am

Congratulations my friend! Your blog and your wonderful writing is most deserving of this award!! Thank you for including me in your list!

The photos below – are spectacular!! You all wore your lace well. and how fun to have the photos done at the beach .. looks like a professional photo shoot!! Great job to Mr. RL.

Wishing you a fabulous day!! xo HHL

6. February 3, 2012 / 5:58 am

I love Kitty, and I love that he thinks he’s a dog! Hilarious! Also, I didn’t know you grew up in Las Vegas. Oh honey, we have even more in common. My grandparents retired to there and I spent A LOT of time in Vegas in the 80s and early 90s. I used to love those showgirl statues at the Tropicana. You know the ones? Ha ha I bet you do! Have a great weekend my dear! XO, Jill

7. February 3, 2012 / 6:30 am

That is so funny that you worked as a cocktail waitress in Vegas. Who would have thought?

I also have to cook with an apron now. I used to be lazy about it but after Tony saying too many times “you are going to ruin your clothes” (which I did) I finally got in the habit of wearing one.

8. February 3, 2012 / 6:36 am

These are always fun to read. I like how Paula said they are like putting together the pieces of a puzzle.

You’ve lived a “versatile” life! xoBliss

9. February 3, 2012 / 6:48 am

I enjoyed getting to know you better and the Doors story is great!! I waited tables at IHOP for a while and it taught be a lot…particularly that being nice leads to big tips!!

10. February 3, 2012 / 7:01 am

Before they were huge, I saw the Doors in concert 3 times at a club on Sunset Blvd. I can still feel the electricity in the room.
    And yes, a very young sister!

11. February 3, 2012 / 7:16 am

Your sister sounds clever and delightful. I shall pop over to her blog later today. So enjoyed reading more about You. XX

12. February 3, 2012 / 7:41 am

These details enrich our vision of the woman behind the voice…
    It must have been a challenge to work the night shift in Vegas, having never done that myself it seems daunting.
    Congratulations on all these awards you deserve them Adrienne. It’s rather like the red carpet.
    Going over to meet your sister now.

Hostess

13. February 3, 2012 / 12:35 pm

Nice getting to know you a little more….congrats on your award.Its well deserved!

14. February 3, 2012 / 1:46 pm

Ah the barmaid/waitress job! It’s great that you had a job! Way too many people in this Australia wouldn’t take on that sort of work and expect the government to pay their way in life- and they do! What is your education in?
    I am SOO not surprised that you were a model in an advertisement!

15. February 3, 2012 / 3:42 pm

Your blog is so great and I talk to my friends about many of your posts.You definitely deserve this award. I loved learning new things about you. I was also a waitress for many long years during college, it is definitely hard work. I would enjoy seeing that commercial, maybe one day it will appear. Have a great weekend!!

16. February 3, 2012 / 4:44 pm

Thanks for sharing so much about yourself! I’ve also worked a crappy waitress job, but no where near as strip-club looking 😉

17. February 3, 2012 / 6:26 pm

I always love hearing stories about our former lives from fellow bloggers. And I’m going to check out your sister’s blog.

18. February 3, 2012 / 6:51 pm

Thank you so much for your sweet intro.
    Those are some fascinating stories about you…I’m trying to picture Adrienne the Saloon waitress. I worked as a waitress for Steak and Shake when I was 17, I lasted 1 week. I just could not wear the hair net for one more day. Ah…17 & stupid. Going to check out your sis now. Thanks again A!

19. February 4, 2012 / 8:03 am

@Paula She is young! Natalie and I have the same father, but different mothers.

I love close enough to SF that if I miss it, I can go for the day. It’s less than 90 minutes from here.

The Silver Dollar was such a dump…a fun place but some of the clientele was a bit frightening. The bartenders all kept their own handguns behind the bar. And I had my rear end grabbed more than once. Ick.

That period of my life, 7 months spent slinging beer in cans – yes, we served the beer in cans – was one of the most pivotal. It was such an eye-opening experience. It truly changed my life. Someday I will write more about it in detail.

And yes, thankfully I survived 7 months! I shudder to think about all the awful things that could have happened. I was so naive!

20. February 4, 2012 / 8:06 am

@LR @ Magnificent or Egregious I don’t remember the Diolight commercial. I don’t even know what that is. I will have to look it up.

I do hope the commercial I was in shows up one day on YouTube. I remember the moment I first saw it – was watching The Tonight Show, and it came on. Unfortunately, I was by myself so I had no one to get excited with me…but it was still a thrill.

21. February 4, 2012 / 8:12 am

@Patti @ NotDeadYet Style I wish I had been more aware of how exciting it was to have this big movie being filmed in my neighborhood. I would have taken photos and tried to see some scenes being filmed.
    I remember being annoyed by the Jim Morrison wanna-be in the park. Now I am thankful he woke me up…a fond memory of living on Ashbury Street.

22. February 4, 2012 / 8:15 am

@High Heeled Life Thanks, HHL. We had such a great time at the beach. The girls are so pretty in their lace.

And my husband is the best photographer…he has such patience!

xoxo, A

23. February 4, 2012 / 8:27 am

@jill815 Kitty scares our big dogs. If he wants their bed, he’s going to have it!

That is so funny about our Vegas connection. Who would have guessed? I wish I could remember the Trop statues. I remember some columns that used to change color…but not the statues. I googled it and still couldn’t find them. Maybe that was after my time? When I moved back there for 7 months in ’90-’91, I rarely went to The Strip – mostly kept to my horrible neighborhood and tried to avoid stray bullets from the nearby gangs. Ah, the good old days!

24. February 4, 2012 / 8:42 am

@LRS4AMANDA Not just a cocktail waitress, but a cocktail waitress who had to wear Wranglers and a cowboy hat and who learned how to Two-Step and do the Cotton-eyed Joe. Unfortunately, I wasn’t one of those waitresses on The Strip who wore a cute outfit and delivered drinks with umbrellas to high-rollers. Maybe it’s a good thing I wasn’t – I may have stayed waitressing and not gone back to college.

I used to never wear an apron either. But too many clothes were ruined and before long, I was used to wearing them. Not only does it bother me if I’m not wearing one while cooking, it bothers me when I see other people not wearing one while cooking – even on TV. Weird, I know.
    xo. A

25. February 4, 2012 / 8:44 am

@steppingmywaytobliss We all have lots of puzzle pieces. Since we only show a small part of our lives on our blogs it’s interesting to do these types of awards so we can find out the “other” stuff…stuff we don’t blog about.

26. February 4, 2012 / 8:48 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 I worked retail and waited tables when I was young..I would much rather wait tables. It’s fast paced (usually) and often fun. I loathed standing around in the shoe stores where I worked waiting for people to come in. It made the days so long!

27. February 4, 2012 / 8:56 am

@hostess of the humble bungalow It was a huge challenge for me to work that shift – even at my young age. I wouldn’t fall asleep until 10 a.m., sleep till 4. In the winter, I developed SAD, seasonal attitudinal disorder because I rarely saw the sun. Or maybe I was just depressed because my life was pretty pathetic back then: living in a horrid neighborhood, loser boyfriend who didn’t want to work and always had our shared car, no phone. It was a sad state of affairs back then but one of the best experiences of my life. It motivated me to live a better life.

28. February 4, 2012 / 9:16 am

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) Working at the Silver Dollar was the smartest thing I ever did. It changed my life and motivated me to finish my education. I have a degree in English from University of San Francisco.

Thank you, Jodie. It was mostly my hair they wanted to film, but my face is in the commercial too, for a split second.

29. February 4, 2012 / 10:21 am

Congratulations!!!
    How interesting…I will have to get you the Tales of the City books :O) They are set in SF :O)

30. February 4, 2012 / 11:54 pm

So fun to read more about you. Not surprised you were in the Supercuts ad with your hair!

I have always had a cat too and my Hobbes looks just like your Kitty.

Thanks so much for the blogger award! I am thrilled and just seeing this now! It’s been a crazy week. I will try to do that very soon!

You’re a sweetie. Have a great weekend!
    Kim:)

31. February 5, 2012 / 8:13 am

Congratulations on your awards. What interesting experiences you’ve had. I can’t cook without an apron either. I’ve ruined a good many shirts cooking without one.

32. February 5, 2012 / 10:03 pm

You worked at the Silver Dollar… I worked at the Silver Fox!
    And you SO should have partied with the Doors (movie) crew! That would have been awesome… Val Kilmer back when he was still hot… yowza! xo

33. February 6, 2012 / 7:33 am

Thank you for the award! I love reading these threads that comprise the tapestry of our lives. I’m trying to picture you in a tawdry cocktail outfit, serving cheap beer to icky men. What a great experience and wisdom-inducing fodder to pass on to your step children.

This is the first year since I was 12 that I haven’t been blessed with a cat. Though no cat I know would ever stoop to behaving like a dog.