10 Reasons to Thrift Shop

10 Reasons to Thrift Shop

I started thrift shopping last November, thanks to inspiration from Janet at The Gardener’s Cottage.

After five months of regular thrifting, excluding a one month spending freeze, I am quite pleased with the items I have hanging in my closet. While I still buy my pants, jeans, underthings, tank tops, T-shirts and shoes new, thrifting has become my primary mode of shopping.
It seems that I have passed my thrifty ways down to Tori, my 17-year-old stepdaughter. She went looking for prom dresses last week in the $200+ range before deciding to take a peak at a few thrift shops where she found a gorgeous used dress for just $19.99! It’s currently being altered by her aunt and will be good to go just in time for her big night.
Now she can spend a little more on a professional up-do for her hair and a great pair of shoes.
The last few weeks, I have acquired some great thrift finds. Soon, I hope to be inundating you with blog posts of my recent treasures. I thought I would start now by showing you this Club Monaco dress I bought yesterday at the local Goodwill for $6.99.
This number is definitely coming along with me to Italy. It’s soft, versatile and it won’t wrinkle. And the ruching cleverly hides a variety of flaws.
If you’re not yet a thrifter, allow me tempt you to try it with my “1o Great Reasons to Thrift Shop”.
1)  Money spent at thrift stores goes to a good cause.
2) Thrifting offers an opportunity to try new-to-you styles, that are often from a past generation, for a fraction of the price.
3) Thrift shops are great places to find costumes, formal clothing and work clothes (suits, button down shirts, pencil skirts).
4) It’s cheap and guilt-free! If you bring something home and it doesn’t work out, simply re-donate it and think of it as a charitable contribution.
5) Because it’s cheap, you can afford to pay someone to alter your clothes so they fit you perfectly.
6) It’s ecologically responsible. Consider yourself a  “pre-cycler” if you buy your clothing used.
7) Clothes found at thrift shops are almost always going to look original. There is a good chance that you’re the only one around for many miles with that particular dress or jacket. You can’t say the same about chain stores.
8) It’s fun! I love the thrill of the hunt. I never know what goodies I’ll come away with.
9) There’s nothing like telling someone who compliments me on my dress that it cost only $5.00.
10) My husband giving me grief for a shopping spree at a thrift shop would just be silly. On a reckless day, I might spend $35.00 on an armful of clothes. That is certainly nothing to spat over.
 So tell me…are you a thrifter?
 If not, have I convinced you to give it a whirl? I hope so!

1. March 29, 2012 / 3:13 am

I adore vintage shops. One always finds the most surprising things, and they are usually very individual and unique. Black dress is ideal for Italy.

2. March 29, 2012 / 3:24 am

That red dress is stunning, what a great find. I’m completely with you on the thrift shop shopping, but tend to find it a lot easier outside of London where the prices are still reasonable and not everything second-hand has been re-labeled as vintage with an according price tag. Flea markets out in the country can be fantastic! Have a lovely day xo

3. March 29, 2012 / 3:37 am

Adrienne, I love your shoes. Those are great. You look nice in that dress, too.

You make thrifting look so easy, but I’m going to give you some credit today, and say that I believe you really have to have some “talent” to thrift. I believe you need to know fashion, trends, and know how not to look dated. I would have trouble. Perhaps it is a time issue for me and the fact that I don’t shop a lot. I think you have to have a lot of vision. Well done!

4. March 29, 2012 / 4:06 am

Over here in the UK thrifting is called charity shopping and I have done it since I was a penurious student in Manchester in the 1970s. I even volunteered in our local Red Cross shop for about five years, one afternoon a week. I specialised in valuing the bric-a-brac and collectables.

My daughter has done it for herself ever since she had a clothing allowance as a teenager, she’s 31 now and is a full-time professional charity fundraiser, so the thrifting habit may even have pushed her towards this career.

I even buy shoes and boots if there is no or very little evidence of wear on the soles and inner soles. I treat myself to a couple of pairs of brand new shoes a year, one for summer, one for winter but that’s it. My underclothes, nightwear and swimwear is new, but I will and do buy pretty much anyting else from charity shops. I also buy books and things for the home.

My eye zooms in first for colour, then quality of fabric and cut, and a good fit is important as I don’t enjoy sewing very much any more (needlethreading is a nightmare in your fifties!).

Our nearest town is in the very salubrious commuter belt for London, where some women have so much money and a horror of wearing anyhing more than two or three times, or so it would seem. I do very well indeed out of their cast-offs, I am unashamed to say!

5. March 29, 2012 / 4:35 am

you got some great finds!! I have been to our resale shop, I have yet to find anything for myself but my son needs blue sport coats for school and I always get them at the resale shops, they are usually about $10 and since he is a quickly growing boy they tend to fit him for maybe 5 months

6. March 29, 2012 / 4:35 am

Your new black dress is Wow! and a great find for your trip, Adrienne. Of course, I agree with all your reasons for thrifting, and I do it every chance I get : >

7. March 29, 2012 / 4:53 am

Unfortunately, here in Brasil, thrift shops are places where clothes are far more expensive than new ones. My older sis goes frequently to the U.S. and one of her tasks is looking for good clothes at Goodwill. You see, for US$ 100 she revamped her wardrobe, shoes included! Just because the clothing industry here in Brasil is turned to younger ones, not ladies of a certain age. And Brazilian think very poorly of “used clothes”. Not me, of course!! Neither do my sis!

8. March 29, 2012 / 6:34 am

Kudos on your list…I agree with them all! I am a new follower and hope you stop over to Sweetwater Style and check out some of my thrifty finds! This season I have been wearing a 13 dollar thrift store Jacket that is probably worth $1000 new…go figure!

9. March 29, 2012 / 7:02 am

I do go to thrift stores. I don’t find much in my size, but occasionally I do find some really cool things.
    I recently bought a wonderful oak desk for $30.00. It is one from the 30’s that is made of real thick oak. I am going to use it for my jewelry making/sewing desk. Much better than my folding table.
    That ruched dress is fantastic on you.

10. March 29, 2012 / 7:21 am

I will have to try some thrift stores outside of NYC. I am thinking of trying some designer consignment shops on the upper east side, I am curious how much it would cost to get some secondhand Chanel. I know I should look at other brands but I can’t help it, that’s how my brain works. XO, Jill

11. March 29, 2012 / 7:27 am

*What* flaws? Oh my goodness.

I’m an avid consignment store shopper. Like you, I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and have unearthed some real finds.

12. March 29, 2012 / 7:31 am

First of all…va va voom! You look gorgeous!! Bill had better keep an eye on you if you are packing that dress. 😉 Ruching is a great invention, without it I couldn’t wear any fabric too clingy.

Haven’t been thrifting in awhile, I need to try some different stores. Not much luck at the 2 Goodwills I looked at.

13. March 29, 2012 / 7:36 am

P.S. I love Tori’s dress too, Amanda wore red to her prom as well. MAC did her makeup, and I remember she looked dyno-mite!! Wonder what color lipstick Tori will choose?? I’m sure she will look adorable.

L

14. March 29, 2012 / 8:01 am

thanks adrienne for the shout out but this is all you! what great finds. you look amazing in everything. xo janet

15. March 29, 2012 / 8:26 am

I love thrifting! And your LBD and nude wedges are fab!

16. March 29, 2012 / 8:46 am

@Fashion, Art and other fancies I bet you could find some real treasures in your Paris vintage shops. I’ll have to visit a few next time I am there.
    I do think this dress will get a lot of wear in Italy. It’s so versatile.

17. March 29, 2012 / 8:52 am

I’d do more thrift shopping if I actually had the time to go out and browse. You look spectacular in all of your finds!

18. March 29, 2012 / 9:02 am

@Mademoiselle Poirot Your comment makes me wonder if the same thing is going on in San Francisco, the nearest big city. I used to live there many moons ago. When the vintage craze was big in the mid to late 1980’s Macy’s department store actually sold vintage clothing at sky high prices. There were and still are lots of vintage stores all over the city.
    Out here in the suburbs, people seem to gravitate more toward Old Navy and Kohl’s. I don’t really see very many chic women shopping in the thrift shops -I think they are really missing out!
    So nice to hear from you, C! xo

19. March 29, 2012 / 9:08 am

@Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) I think the more you do it, the better you get. I made plenty of mistakes in the beginning…not noticing damage and odor was the main oversight. I inspect clothing much more carefully now. Another good idea is to find a store you like, then drop by for 15 or 20 minutes every so often to browse. I don’t bother with pants (all too short) tanks and Ts (usually too worn out by the time they get to the thrift shop) – I go straight to dresses, then skirts, then blouses and jackets.
    It does help to know the trends…but you are likely not going to find a pair of colorful skinnies right now at a thrift shop. They are too hot these days. I look for classic styles – button down shirts, denim jackets, dresses, pencil skirts.

It is a time issue – but you would be surprised at how little time I really spend in my favorite shop now that I know the layout.

If I ever come out to NC again, we can have lunch and go thrifting – I’ll show you the ropes 🙂

20. March 29, 2012 / 9:35 am

@Goldenoldenlady Charity shopping has a much nicer ring to it than thrifting.

Interesting that your daughter when from shopping avidly in charity shops to having a career in charity. I think it’s a great thing to instill in children to offset all the ads to buy, buy, buy that we are inundated with.

I will buy a pair of shoes if they are in excellent condition. My problem is my feet are big – size 11 (41/42 European) and hard to find so I mostly don’t bother even looking. And I don’t bother with pants and jeans because my inseam is so long, I have to order online…can’t even buy them in a regular shop let alone a thrift shop.

I go first for type of clothing – I like to look for blouses and button downs, jackets and blazers, skirts and dresses and sweaters. And accessories, of course. though I haven’t had much luck in that area.

I have a great seamstress who is reasonable and a perfectionist. I keep her quite busy with my thrift store purchases. Just took three things to her yesterday.

I bet you find some wonderful cast-offs. I really should be shopping in our neighboring county of Marin where lots of wealthy people live – I bet I could really score there!

Thank you for stopping by today!

21. March 29, 2012 / 9:44 am

@Jill Thrifting for the kids is a great way to save money- they outgrown everything you buy them, why not buy cheaply? I bet one of these days you will find something at that resale shop – you have to be in the mood and have a little chunk of time. I’d love to hear about it if you do.

22. March 29, 2012 / 9:45 am

@Patti Thanks, Patti. I love my dress – almost didn’t try it on because it looked so small and bunched up on the hanger.
    I do it every chance I get too – it’s really a fun little hobby and satisfies that urge to shop that I have always had. Always.

23. March 29, 2012 / 10:12 am

I have never been a thrift shopper, but now I am dying to dip my toe into this kind of shopping since reading your blog. But it will have to wait until I move back to the UK as thrift shops don’t exist in Spain!!! How strange/ridiculous is that 🙁
    Love the Club Monaco dress.

24. March 29, 2012 / 10:38 am

Number 1 is the best reason of all!! You look fabulous in each and every picture! I am thrifting more these days…lack of funds dictates it!

25. Anonymous
    March 29, 2012 / 12:29 pm

I’ve been a vintage shopper since high school (25+ years….) and love anything with a “back story”. I’m a size 14-16 and for while didn’t thrift because it was difficult to find clothes, but in the past couple of years it’s gotten easier to find nice things. I’ve also been inspired by Janet at the Gardner’s Cottage and am only buying used (in fact, I just got back from buying a beautiful old kimono to wear as a jacket – it wasn’t in the $5 range, but it’s definitely unique!). — Queen Lucia

26. March 29, 2012 / 1:37 pm

This post speaks to my thrifting soul. I am trying to make 2012 my year of thrifting–if something is needed for home or my person I will shop second hand first and try not to buy new at all (exceptions of under-things and such). Thank goodness for Ebay and Etsy plus thrift stores and the like. xoBliss

27. March 29, 2012 / 3:52 pm

This must be the week of $19.99 finds! I found my Mad Men Party dress for $19.99…LOL

Love Tori’s dress!

28. March 29, 2012 / 6:42 pm

I AM a thrifter for all of the excellent reasons you list. The Club Monaco dress is a great find and it fits you like a dream.

29. March 29, 2012 / 7:31 pm

@Didi Iashin Hi Didi, Your sister is smart to do that since quality clothes for the more mature set are so hard to find in Brazil. That’s too bad that wearing used clothes is looked down upon. Thanks for sharing a bit of what it’s like in your beautiful country.

30. March 29, 2012 / 7:35 pm

@Mary-Sweetwater Style Welcome Mary! Thank you so very much for following. I did pop over to your blog and saw your numerous thrifty finds. Did you happen to write a post about your jacket because I would love to find out more!

31. March 29, 2012 / 7:39 pm

@[email protected] I really should start looking more at furniture. I always search for clothes and accessories. Sounds like you have picked up a real treasure with that oak desk. I hope it works out for you as a crafting table.

32. March 29, 2012 / 7:43 pm

@jill815 Nothing wrong with that! May I tag along on your second-hand Chanel search? xo

33. March 29, 2012 / 7:45 pm

@Jane W. Thank you, Jane. You are sweet.

The thrill of the search is really the best part. You kind of know what you’re going to find when you go into a Banana Republic or Macy’s but at a thrift or consignment shop, you just never know what you’ll come across.

34. March 29, 2012 / 7:53 pm

@LRS4AMANDA Thanks Linda! Bill was/is quite taken with the dress. It’s been a topic of conversation around here ever since I modeled it for him. Ruching is a great invention – so great for hiding a pouch and/or a little muffin top.

I have been in some thrift stores that were just awful – really junky stuff. If you keep looking around at different shops, you just may find one you like. Or better yet, come up for another visit and we’ll go to my favorites.
    xo, A

35. March 29, 2012 / 8:04 pm

@LRS4AMANDA I haven’t seen the dress in person yet. Hard to tell if it’s a pinky red or a red red. I know she will want to wear a dramatic lipstick because that is her thing. Right now she is debating about a hairstyle – up or down. And she wants to find some nice jewelry to wear with it, too.

Prom is expensive! Good thing she bought a second hand dress.

36. March 29, 2012 / 8:08 pm

@the gardener’s cottage Janet – you really were/are my inspiration for giving thrift shopping a try after not doing it for decades. You are living proof that one can look chic, elegant and modern for a small amount of money by combing the used clothing stores. Thank you for that. xoxo, A

37. March 29, 2012 / 8:17 pm

@déjà pseu Yes, you must have time, no doubt about that. However, I have found that if I pop by my favorite Goodwill every week, I don’t spend as much time searching because I know where to go within the shop and I sort of know the inventory. I hope that makes sense.

In a huge city like LA, I wouldn’t even know where to begin finding a good thrift shop. I know Goodwill has boutique shops where the cream of the crop items land for a tad higher price tag. I am sure they have a few in LA if you’re inclined to give thrift shopping a try. Maybe try their website if you’re interested.

38. March 29, 2012 / 8:20 pm

@[email protected] What do you think they do with all those unwanted clothes? What do you do with clothes that you no longer want while living in Spain? Do you just toss them?

I love my Club Monaco dress, too. I even bought a stretchy black tube today to wear underneath to make sure everything stays where it’s supposed to while walking around Italy 🙂

39. March 29, 2012 / 8:27 pm

@Pam @ over50feeling40 Thanks, Pam. Saving money is the main reason I thrift. I really love to shop but can’t afford to shop at Nordstrom every time. I feel proud of myself for thrifting – knowing I am not blowing the budget on fashion – but still getting my shopping fix.

40. March 29, 2012 / 8:31 pm

@Anonymous My mother has been thrifting ever since I can remember. And she always looks stylish and put together.
    I have noticed in my favorite Goodwill that there is pretty good sized XL and Plus sized sections with some very nice items. If the thrift shop has their items organized by size, it’s much easier. I get frustrated with shops that organize by color or don’t organize at all. That’s when I really need my extra bit of patience.

I bet your kimono is just gorgeous – lucky you, Queen Lucia!

41. March 29, 2012 / 8:37 pm

@steppingmywaytobliss I feel the same way – I don’t bother with certain things because of my height (pants, jeans) but with nearly everything else, I try to find it thrifted first. I was looking for a nude colored cardigan – like and oatmeal or light taupe – and couldn’t locate one at the thrift shops. Rather than cave in and buy new, I waited and finally found a Liz Claborne cardigan in a silk/cashmere blend for $10. I just love it. Patience plays a big part in being a successful thrifter – I am not generally patient in other areas of my life, but when it comes to thrift shopping, I am the most patient of people.

42. March 29, 2012 / 8:40 pm

@Terri You have also been an influence on me, Terri. You have some great skills when it comes to thrifting.

43. Anonymous
    March 29, 2012 / 9:13 pm

Damn! Your new black dress looks amazing on you! What a great way to save money, save the environment and look hot.

A favor to ask: any chance there’s a label inside the dress that lists a style name or number or some other identifying info. I love the dress and need it to hide my flaws! Am wondering if I might be able to track it down on ebay with more info. Thanks!

44. March 29, 2012 / 10:11 pm

Adrienne, Love the black dress. Your wedges are so perfect for Spring and very flattering. Tori’s dress is darling too. You have amazing luck! I need to thrift more.
    Have a good weekend!
    Kim:)

45. March 30, 2012 / 12:11 am

Hi Adrienne!
    thrift shopping does not exist in Italy….sometimes at the sunday markets you see moneyed middle aged ladies selling junk and trinketsto raise money for the “nuns” as they say, if you ask about the cause the answer you get is never clear…..the reason? Italian people would never ever wear used clothes, they are afraid of lices and fungi infections and most see it almost an offence to be offered hand me downs…but of course there are some exceptions and small loopholes in the rule if you where to look…. in Rome there is a chain of stores that sells second hand whatever but I find the prices are little bit too hefty, 30 euros for used Ugg boots is too much for instance…they cater to vintage shoppers who have mo money issues and think that vintage is very chic and they shop for vintage’s sake; then in my local sunday market once a month there is a group of volunteers selling really interesting second hand clothes, to raise money for schools in Burundi, they have their collection point in a very rich area so that all the ladies go there to get rid of the things they have worn more than three times, been seen to many times in it, so I found really exceptional bargains in their stall, like a Giorgio Armani dress, wonderful Max Mara jackets and slacks, a fantastic Mariella Burani coat and then shoes and bags, clothes for my son and sometimes even tea sets, for just 2 or 1 euro.
    Then luckily in Italy we have a consolidated traditions of borough markets and, the nearer you live in Naples the better, cause the big clothing companies go to naples to sell off to market stalls owners all the unsold stock of clothes, and boy the prices lately are ridiculously low, you must rummage in the heap of clothes, one item 2 euros, if you buy two you pay 3 euros and so forth and sometimes you really find some gems, yesterday I unearthed from a gigantic heap of stuff a magnificent pair of Just Cavalli jeans, brand new, “old shop stock” as we say here… now I am not a fan of Mr Cavalli but his pants are perfectly tailored, they fit perfectly any shape, well I paid them just one €..
    Well this is the story of charity-second hand shopping in Italy, sorry if the post is long but I thought it could be nice to share these things with you, it may be useful if you happens to be in Italy and want to find some good second hand clothing…

46. March 30, 2012 / 1:10 am

Well done my dear! You look do gorgeous in all of the outfits!

47. March 30, 2012 / 6:51 am

Enjoying your blog! 🙂 I grew up thrifting, and taking advantage of yard sales too. Amazed at the bargains. I now have a daughter and have been paid, yes, paid to clothe her. I’ve gotten great clothing so cheaply and when she grows out of it I’ve been able to sell it for more than I paid for it. Now, who says having kids is expensive! 😉 Love the inexpensive finds for me too – so fun!

48. March 30, 2012 / 8:54 am

@Anonymous No problem! The only info I could find on the dress is the following:

CA 03234
    RN 77406

It’s 100% cotton
    On the care for label, I found these numbers too:

1065 4279/4250

0200062

Hope that helps. The RN number may be your best bet. Let me know if you find it!

49. March 30, 2012 / 9:02 am

@kim at northerncalstyle. I have almost gotten rid of those shoes about three times because they are so old. I really should search for a replacement pair on eBay – it’s hard to find a low heeled wedge these days, they’re all too high!

Tori will hopefully be getting her dress from her aunt next week. I am really looking forward to seeing it on her and helping her accessorize.
    I hope you have a good weekend, too. Shame it’s going to rain though but I know we need it.

50. March 30, 2012 / 9:30 am

@lovesjetlag Thank you so much for sharing this! I will not even bother with second hand shopping while I am there unless I come across a special Sunday market while we’re traveling. My husband has no patience for my shopping habit anyway – gets bored easily. Unless I can leave him in a cafe with a slice and a beer, they’ll be no time for me to rummage through the used clothing. As you know, it takes time – and concentration!

I am wondering what most people in Italy do with their used clothing. Do they toss it? Or just keep it forever?

Sounds like you have found some really fantastic and high end items at your local Sunday market. Thank you again for the information.

51. March 30, 2012 / 9:33 am

@Love Local Food Welcome! I, too, am amazed at the bargains. Makes you never want to buy things for full-price.

That is brilliant that you are making a little extra money from your daughter’s clothes. Very savvy.

Thank you for stopping by!

52. March 30, 2012 / 9:56 am

You might’ve convinced me after I found the 99% perfect blazer at the thrift shop. I had it tailored last week so it’s now 100% perfect…total cost…30.00. :O)

53. March 30, 2012 / 4:35 pm

I used to really enjoy thrifting many years ago. Haven’t done it for such a long time, but you’ve convinced me to give it a try. LA also has a lot of “consignment” shops, full of barely worn good clothing, bags, shoes, etc. Some very high end. I have been to a few of those, but the prices are quite high, so I’ve never bought anything. I do have a beautiful vintage kimono that I bought at an outdoor vintage market – for $5, that I love.

54. March 30, 2012 / 11:30 pm

In rural Australia, my experience is also that it is for only the destitute or those on a pension. A lot of our Indigenous locals shop for their essential clothes at the charity shops too, not for style but out of necessity, so it has a bit of a stigma. My mother used to work as a voluntary Lifeline counsellor and would also work the shop in a suburb Northern Sydney, she said that she would often get some well heeled ladies in there shopping too but not often. Not all the items would be priced and the Shop assistants could put their pricing on as they saw fit. Mum said she would suss out if someone was in real need and would take the total so far down it wasn’t funny. She said that some women came in with little babies and toddlers and only a few dollars in their purses to buy clothes for them. I hope that around the world charity shops work the same and give these strugglers a bit of a break. These folk of course were not looking for high end designer clothes, but the basics.
    I have been in to a few charity shops and the smell reminded me so much of an old person’s house, just like my grandmother’s.
    I am afraid op shopping or thrifting for clothing is not for me.

But let me loose on anything but clothing and it is game on I tell you!! I loooove second hand furniture and old wares and have just so much that I have painted or repurposed. Sourced from both 2nd hand shops, auction houses and clearing sales (auctions on farms- I can’t help myself in a bidding war if I want something I get IT!!) The coffee table that my computer is sitting on as I type this, is an old kitchen table painted white with the legs cut down and castors on the bottom with a marble top (the top came off another old table we had) Loove all my antique furniture too, some even came here to Oz on the first fleet! And the reality is, these have all been previously owned by someone else!!!!

55. March 31, 2012 / 11:25 am

Va Va Voom Adrienne!
    Love the black dress! So sexy!

Hubby would love it if I would thrift shop…don’t have any shops where I live…
    Tori’s red dress is just beautiful, can’t wait to see it on her.
    Happy weekend to you!

Jeannie

56. April 1, 2012 / 11:51 am

you and Janet are my favorite thrifters…you make every outfit look amazing and for pennies. I try…really I do, but I hardly ever find anything at least in clothing. I could not agree more that there are many reasons as you mention why thrifting is a good idea. I’m going to keep looking…your new black dress looks wonderful on you. The fit is perfect! And I love Tori’s prom dress…or gown…gorgeous! You inspire me!
    annie

57. April 1, 2012 / 4:16 pm

I love this post! I used to thrift a lot in college and stopped until the last 6 months. I love thrifting and I agree with number 8, I think it is the thrill of the hunt(at least that is what my husband thinks). I have always been a garage sale gal, I am so happy to be back to thrifting. I love seeing your finds, you have gotten some great treasures. That black dress should definitely go with you on your trip!

58. April 1, 2012 / 10:45 pm

That dress you found yesterday looks amazing on you…nice find! I to have recently discovered the joys of thrifting and am kicking myself for waiting so long to do it. For years I’ve been in the hunt for a red pencil skirt. Believe it it not I never found any anywhere. Until today when I walked into my local goodwill and found a high waisted red pencil skirt. And the best part? No alterations needed!

59. July 13, 2013 / 12:29 am

Many of the clothes are donated from rich locals who can afford to buy high-end clothes straight from the designers, then grow easily bored with them.
    thrift shop