At the Beach

At the Beach

In a few short weeks, Bill and I will no longer have three day weekends to enjoy together. His new job as our town’s fire chief starts April 1st and his Fridays will be spent working instead of galavanting around the county with me.

The rest of the weekends in March are filled with activities. So Friday, we packed up the RV and headed for the coast for one last hurrah.

The weather could not have been more beautiful. An ideal day for a hike. Saturday morning, we took off from our campsite and headed in the general direction of the beach, not really knowing where we were going.

We hiked through a sandy valley of brush, ice plant and a few trees for quite a while.

We didn’t know where we were going and didn’t even have a trail to follow for most of our hike.  But we could hear the ocean off in the distance and headed in that general direction .

Where the heck are we?

Once we crossed over a few dunes, we finally saw the ocean.

I had to get a better view and climbed a little hill.

We could see for miles upon miles it was such a clear day.

Then we hit the beach; a gorgeous, wide and clean beach that was mostly deserted.

Save for a few seagulls and some surfers, we didn’t see a soul!

No one was around to take our photo, so we took one ourselves.

World’s cutest husband 🙂

We walked and walked for a couple of hours until we reached the end. Bill tried to get me to hike around that point but I was having none of it.

We began our journey back to the RV instead.

It was a three hour, non-stop hike and let me tell you, my legs are feeling it today. Walking in sand really gives your gams a workout!

Once we returned, we took the dogs out for a walk. Little Coco is not much of a walker; she prefers to be carried in her front pack.

My dorkiness, where our dogs are concerned, knows no limits. And yes, the people in the RV park gave me strange looks.

That evening, Bill and I decided to treat ourselves to dinner out. I was feeling daring and opted for white jeans.

And since we were at the coast, I went for a nautical look of navy and white with stripes.

The jacket is Ralph Lauren. I bought it back in 1995 with the same friend who encouraged me to buy the leopard jacket. She found this one for me, too. I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of this piece.

Dinner at the nearby restaurant was just okay. My fish stew with red sauce (I like to live on the edge in my white jeans) was oddly sugary and Bill’s steak was overdone. But we had fun nonetheless.

Part of me is sad we won’t have these long weekends together for a while. But we’ll fit them in here and there when the time is right.

I want to end this post with some cute doggy photos I took this weekend.

1. March 5, 2012 / 8:50 am

The photos are wonderful, especially since it’s turned cold again here. I really long for some sunshine and long walks like that. Shame about the food, but as you said, sometimes the fun in itself is more important anyway 🙂 Have a lovely week xo

2. March 5, 2012 / 9:42 am

Your dogs are so cute! I especially love the picture where they are sleeping. They look so sweet.
    You look great too!

3. March 5, 2012 / 9:58 am

Your dogs are too cute!! And love the navy and white outfit, gorgeous!

4. March 5, 2012 / 10:12 am

Looks like you had perfect weather – what fun! Love the outfit. I may just have to reconsider my bias against white jeans.

5. March 5, 2012 / 11:03 am

What a glorious weekend for the two of you! I love the photos, and of course the darling doggies steal the show. Thanks so much for linking up to Visible Monday!

6. March 5, 2012 / 11:23 am

Your beach day looks wonderful! I miss those deserted Northern California beaches…

Your pups are so cute, and your nautical look is perfection!

7. March 5, 2012 / 11:31 am

I love what SP said. So funny!

Looks like you had a great time.

I know you will miss those long three days.

Glad you all got a good hurrah.

8. March 5, 2012 / 12:28 pm

what a beautiful beach, my 9 yr old son asked me the other day if our Bondi Beach was the most famous beach in the world and I had to tell him that California has some magnificent ones too. The doggies are so cute and look very well behaved! My dad travels around in his fifth wheeler with a little spoilt Tibetan spaniel!

9. March 5, 2012 / 12:40 pm

I want your dogs!! We had a beloved yorkie who died and now I want yours!! Just send my way anytime…looks like it was a perfect day..the beach and you looked fabulous!

10. March 5, 2012 / 1:11 pm

Looks like you had a great weekend, and you looked fantastic for all of it! Your dogs are so cute and photogenic. I feel sad for you about those 3 day weekends, your life is going to change, and I know it’s a mixed transition. xo

11. March 5, 2012 / 1:20 pm

Look at those legs and those arms!!

While your nautical look was terrific, I was really drawn to your beach look: tasteful black attire and a straw cowboy hat that looks like its been to the beach a few times. Very Hamptons, very Ralph Lauren (black label, of course), very care-free luxury. Bravo!

12. March 5, 2012 / 1:45 pm

Such a lovely and refreshing post…thank you for sharing your inspiring couples weekend. And as always my dear…your are beauty personified.

13. March 5, 2012 / 3:26 pm

Your dogs are so cute. Looks like you guys had a great time. Those are the best times, when you really don’t know where you are going and you really don’t care. I love your cute nautical outfit, great for the beach.

14. March 5, 2012 / 7:20 pm

You and Bill live a wonderful life in a beautiful area.
    Your journey’s and treks make me yearn for sunshine…
    they are so cheery!

15. March 5, 2012 / 8:06 pm

You two are the most perfect couple I know! I love your family posts and the stories behind them. How much of an upkeep does it take to maintain an RV? We’re thinking about getting one to do some traveling with our dog.
    You look lovely as always!

16. March 5, 2012 / 8:26 pm

Congrats on your hubbie getting the fire chief position! Sad you won’t be able to spend three-day weekends anymore, but I bet it will be fulfilling.

17. March 5, 2012 / 9:42 pm

What beautiful beach photos and I know what you mean about walking/hiking in sand. Looks like the pups had a relaxing weekend too.

18. March 6, 2012 / 12:04 am

Where did you get that front pack for your dog? I really need one of those for my little Yorkie, Bailey. She suffers from a really bad case of the Spoiled Rottens, and it usually flares up halfway through a walk and I end up carrying her home.

19. March 6, 2012 / 12:51 am

Love this post. You guys are so sweet together. Love the doggies too. Their faces are so expressive! It’s hilarious.

Wasn’t the weather perfect? We have been so lucky.

Kim:)

20. March 6, 2012 / 7:07 am

@Mademoiselle Poirot Our weather has been all over the place, too. We went from 70 degree days to rain and cold overnight.
    The food at dinner was a disappointment – seems all the restaurants in Bodega have gone downhill in the last few years. It was still fun to go out…seems we rarely eat dinner out anymore just the two of us.

21. March 6, 2012 / 7:13 am

@[email protected] I thought the sleeping photos were very cute, too. I took about 20 of them..they must get sick of me always having a camera pointed at their little faces.

22. March 6, 2012 / 7:15 am

Looks like you had a great and relaxing mini-vacation. We had gorgeous weather here this weekend, spent a lot of it outside in the yard.

Love the pics of Coco and Daisy! 🙂

23. March 6, 2012 / 7:19 am

@Juhli I had an aversion to white jeans (for me, not others) for over 20 years. Now I love them. This particular pair is very comfortable and I feel confident in them. Except now that I have lost weight, they are a bit too big. I worry I won’t be able to replace them as they are a few years old. Oh well. I’ll take the weight loss over the jeans any day!

24. March 6, 2012 / 7:21 am

@Patti @ NotDeadYet Style I almost missed VM this week because I thought all I would have to show was my hiking outfit…not exactly a fashionable look. When we decided to go out for dinner, VM was my motivation for dressing up a little. VM really does make me dress better than I normally would at least once a week 🙂

25. March 6, 2012 / 7:25 am

@déjà pseu Bill and I think the park attached to the beach has been closed due to budget cuts and only accessible by foot – that’s why it was so empty. The other beaches in the area were more populated. We rarely get the beach activity that you get down in LA…not enough warm weather at our beaches.

26. March 6, 2012 / 7:28 am

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) That’s cute about your dad and his doggy. Bill has this dream of retiring and living in an RV for a couple of years – traveling around the US. Not sure that appeals to me. One month maybe, but years? I think not.
    Someday I want to visit your beautiful country – and would love to see Bondi Beach (and meet you, of course).

27. March 6, 2012 / 7:33 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 Yorkies are the best doggies, in my opinion. Of course I love my big boys, but there is something about cuddling up with a little dog that I love.

We had such a great time at the beach…wish we could spend a whole week out there hiking and relaxing.

28. Arlene in MO
    March 6, 2012 / 7:34 am

Could those precious doggies be any cuter ?

29. March 6, 2012 / 7:35 am

@kathy peck Yes, big changes are ahead…makes me a but nervous but I know we will settle in. My focus right now is getting our trip planned. I am trying not to worry too much about Bill’s new job. I know it’s going to be great for him and for our family. Once we are all through the transition period, it will be fine.

My dogs are photogenic, aren’t they? I never really thought about that. My little models 🙂 xo

30. March 6, 2012 / 7:40 am

@Rebekah Bonde Funny because I was looking at the photos that went into the trash folder and thought the same thing “Look at those legs and arms” – in a critical way, of course. So thank you for saying that!

I have a skort on. I know. Who wears skorts? It’s from REI and has a lightweight, possibly water resistant, fabric and handy zipper pockets. I thought it was a fun thing to wear as an alternative to shorts, which mostly don’t look very good on me.

That hat has gotten lots of wear. I have had it for many, many years. I think I bought it in Cody, Wyoming. I thank you for your lovely compliments and comparisons!

31. March 6, 2012 / 8:00 am

@Carrie Teal WE did have a great time…wish it could have been a longer stay. It was fun “getting lost” – knowing that as long as we knew where the ocean was, we couldn’t get that lost was comforting. I don’t think I would want to wander aimlessly like that in the woods. Yikes!

32. March 6, 2012 / 8:05 am

@steppingmywaytobliss :)..they are super duper darling, aren’t they? I never let them stay unattended in my car. People steal dogs around here. I won’t take any chances so they mostly end up staying home.

33. March 6, 2012 / 8:11 am

@Jeannie @ gracefully50 The RV is actually my father’s. We store it for him and do maintenance and he lets us use it whenever he’s not. It’s a 2003 with about 100K miles so it requires more maintenance than it did when it was newer. Bill is really good about staying on top of oil changes, generator maintenance and all that stuff so it’s in pretty good shape. It’s a diesel and is about 36 feet long with two slides….a house on wheels! It’s a great way to travel especially if you like to bring your furry friends along – we love it and so do the dogs.

34. March 6, 2012 / 8:15 am

@Trendy Necklaces It’s an honor for him to have been chosen as the new fire chief. We are very excited about it – but it’s that unknown that makes me a little anxious. It will all be great once we get settled in – have to get through the transition period and yes, I will greatly miss our three days together. But we will still have two at least!

35. March 6, 2012 / 8:17 am

@Terri Oh Terri, my lower back really got a workout from that beach hike…for two nights now, I have not slept well because it aches so much! Who knew? I think it’s a good ache, though. My lower back could use a little strengthening.

The doggies had a great time – all four of them!

36. March 6, 2012 / 8:20 am

@Tallulah Eulallie I can’t recall when I bought that front pack for the doggies…but I found one similar to it here:

I don’t like the kind that has the dog’s legs hanging out. This one seems very comfortable for the dog and it has shoulder straps and a waist strap so it’s comfortable for me, too.

I’d love to see a photo of your Bailey. She sounds like my Coco – I can barely get down my driveway before she lays down and refuses to walk any further…she has a nasty case of those Spoiled Rottens, too 🙂

37. March 6, 2012 / 8:25 am

@kim at northerncalstyle. The weather over the weekend was as close to perfect as it gets. I am sad that we didn’t get more rain this season, but that’s okay…I am embracing springtime. My cute Hunter boots will just have to wait until the end of this year.

38. March 6, 2012 / 8:27 am

@LRS4AMANDA We could probably stand to spend some time in our yard one of these days. I bet it was very nice where you live – you guys get the best weather.

Hope you are well! xoxo, A

39. March 6, 2012 / 10:41 am

You’re rockin’ those white pants! I can’t believe you went so long without them.

40. March 6, 2012 / 1:29 pm

What beautiful photos! I love the beach so much. I also really like how you have great pieces in your wardrobe, which you still wear years after purchasing them. I think buying pieces with this in mind is the only way. Great jacket, Fifi

41. March 6, 2012 / 9:28 pm

I love how you guys always get out and go, and really live life 🙂

42. March 7, 2012 / 7:13 am

Your pictures make me miss California! I also love Coco in the front pack! It looks like you and Bill had fun. Congratulations to him on his new post. That sounds very prestigious. XO, Jill