Red Slacks and Lobsters

Saturday night, I attended a fundraiser for the St. Helena City Fire Department in Napa county.

Bill, my husband, was able to get four tickets to this sold out event. We invited Bill’s best friend and his lovely wife, who we are going to Italy with, to join us.

Dressing for this party is tricky. You see, you eat with your hands. Lobster, shrimp, artichokes, corn, sausage – all of it,  just with your mitts. You are given a lovely apron to wear and take home with you as a souvenir, but still – it’s a messy meal with cracking shells, drawn butter and lots of wine. You wouldn’t want to wear light colors, silk, or draping sleeves.

I opted for a black H & M top with off-white stripes, a leopard belt and black pumps with my new bright red slacks.

I like the fit of these pants and the color is so vibrant.

When we first arrived, we got our seating assignments, then grabbed a glass of wine.  We spent the first hour catching up with one another and watching the fire fighters cook dinner.

Then it was time to start dinner. Besides the aprons, were also given lobster hats which we were instructed to put on.

We were then told to stand back from the table and wait for them to come by with giant pots filled with lobster and such. They slung the food down the center of the tables…

and we began our messy lobster feast.

Bill ate his money’s worth in lobster.

We were entertained by Louis Prima Junior and his band. They were so energetic and fun.

Next, they held the live auction. Wine, dinners and trips were on the auction list. Bill and I resisted the urge to bid since we are saving for our upcoming trip. Simply watching the bidding was entertainment in itself! They even had a fireman striptease performance for the crowd – bare chests only.

What a blast we had! I really can’t remember the last time I enjoyed myself so much at an event. Hopefully we can attend next year, too. It will probably take a year before I can eat lobster again anyway – it’s so rich.

Do you wear colored slacks or jeans?
I am developing quite a fondness for them.

1. March 25, 2012 / 4:27 pm

Adrienne, the lobster hat — it really will go with everything : > Seriously, all of you look wonderful and happy – what a fun event. Thanks so much for sharing with Visible Monday.

2. March 25, 2012 / 4:47 pm

I do wear colored jeans…which you’ll see when my Monday post goes up. These photos helped me realize just how tall you are. Love the lobster hat and the eats look so delicious.

3. March 25, 2012 / 5:03 pm

Hi Adrienne,

Looks like you had such a fun time! The last time I had lobster was soooo many years ago when I was in Ensenada,Mexico with some friends. Sadly we have no desire to go to Mexico anymore because of all the violence occurring down there.

I love your red pants…I tried on a pair of red NYDJ recently but they were too short. I might have to look into the Gap!

4. March 25, 2012 / 5:19 pm

I saw your outfit on FB earlier, and I liked it. The red pants are pretty. I do not own any colored pants right now, but after I saw Kate in the coral JBrand jeans, I want some. However,I’m not as tall as you or her so I can look hippy if not careful. At 5’4, my hips are the biggest part of me.

5. March 25, 2012 / 5:31 pm

Oh! What an event!! I LOVE lobster…this would have been really bad for me!
    The red looks fabulous on you!! I do have colored jeans…love them.
    Btw, the leopard belt is perfect!! 🙂
    Have a great week Adrienne!

Jeannie

6. March 25, 2012 / 6:10 pm

You look great in that outfit, I love every bit of it. I can get a sense of just how tall you and Bill are when I see you with the couple you attended the feast with. Wow! Looks like you had a fabulous time. I can’t remember when I last had lobster, it was so long ago. Can’t wait to hear more about the Italy trip! XO, Jill

7. March 25, 2012 / 6:18 pm

Love the red pants, they are stylish and fun. Looks like you had fun at this great event!

8. March 25, 2012 / 7:28 pm

Hee! It’s not every woman who can rock a lobster bib, let alone a lobster hat! You have managed to pull it off with style.

9. March 25, 2012 / 7:59 pm

What a fun event!

I love your outfit–simple and chic. The belt was a great touch. xo Bliss

10. March 25, 2012 / 8:22 pm

@Patti @ NotDeadYet Style Aren’t those hats silly? I wore mine long enough for a photo and that is it.

We did have such a great time – but, boy am I tired today! Worth it, though.
    Thank you for putting Visible Monday on each week, Patti!
    xo, A

11. March 25, 2012 / 8:28 pm

@Terri Looking forward to your Monday post!
    I am very tall but even taller in my 3″ heels that I wore last night. And my blonde girlfriend is very petite – we make quite a pair!

12. March 25, 2012 / 8:31 pm

@LRS4AMANDA I haven’t been to Mexico since I was a kid – too bad it’s not very safe for tourists anymore.

I checked and my red pants are still available. Let me know if you need the link and I will email it to you. They would look great on you with your svelte figure and long legs.

Gap has some great pants and jeans right now and at reasonable prices.
    xo, A

13. March 25, 2012 / 8:33 pm

It always happens that the messiest outings turn out to be the most fun!! Love the lobster hats, so cute!!

14. March 25, 2012 / 8:39 pm

@Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) You would look great in a pair of coral skinny jeans – they have them at JCrew right now, by the way, slightly cheaper than Jbrand.

If you wear a pump and a single button blazer like the lovely Kate did, you would look so chic!

15. March 25, 2012 / 8:55 pm

@gracefully50.com There was so much lobster – I get a little queasy even thinking about it! It’s so filling and rich. A little tail and a claw is all I really needed but of course I had twice that and then some.

Thank you for stopping by, Jeannie!

16. Jennifer
    March 25, 2012 / 9:03 pm

Love your gorgeous red slacks. Are they Gap? I’m also very tall and are always on the look for a great fitting pant. I’m new to your blog and really enjoy it. My husband is from Napa and my father-in-law was the Battalion Chief many years ago. A beautiful place to be from, go to and visit often!

17. March 25, 2012 / 9:09 pm

@jill815 I sported some 3″ heels that night – so I am about 6’5″ in the photos. I should have worn flats, but the red pants are too long and I really wanted to wear them.

We are still planning our trip! It’s very exciting and feels a little surreal. I need to get back to working on my packing list. These pants will not be coming along – too long to wear with walking shoes.

18. March 25, 2012 / 9:09 pm

@Shauna Thank you, Shauna! I like the bright colors out for spring. So many to choose from!

19. March 25, 2012 / 9:12 pm

@Anne @ The Frump Factor Thank you, Anne! The hat is so silly! And tight on my head, might I add. It was fun to look around the huge room and see so many people wearing theirs. It was such a fun evening.

20. March 25, 2012 / 9:20 pm

@Tamera Beardsley So happy to be back! I think things are going to start slowing down a little and I will have more time to write and visit my favorite blogs – like yours 🙂
    xoxo

21. March 25, 2012 / 9:21 pm

@beingFab Part of what made the evening so fun was eating with our hands and making a big ole mess!

22. March 25, 2012 / 9:23 pm

@Jennifer I wonder if my husband knows your FIL – those firefighters all seem to know one another it’s such a brotherhood/sisterhood.
    We love Napa – have family there, too. If I didn’t live where I do, I would happily live in St. Helena. It’s so charming (but expensive).

My slacks are Gap. Is the link not working on your end? Someone else had problems, too. I tried it and it worked fine. The slacks come in khaki and white, too.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment, Jennifer!

23. March 25, 2012 / 10:13 pm

Oh, how I love St. Helena when we went there 3 years ago. You look gorgeous even for eating lobster:) Also, the color combinations too! I have the same color pants but a skinny jeans, love love!!!

24. March 25, 2012 / 11:04 pm

Looks like a fab night!

I don’t have any coloured jeans, but keep on meaning to get some. I’ll probably go for bright blue.

TDM xx

25. March 26, 2012 / 2:19 am

What a fun event and your outfit was perfect! I can already tell that I am going to be accused of wearing my red demin too much…I like is so much more than I thought I would. You looked great…lobster hat and all.

Come by and register to win the $100 gift card I am giving away and see how to help women in India!

26. March 26, 2012 / 2:28 am

What a fun event and you all look fabulously happy – even in the lobster hats.

27. Annie
    March 26, 2012 / 3:11 am

Love your blog…You aren’t tall, the rest of the world is short..
    From one who knows…

28. March 26, 2012 / 4:38 am

Great outfit. Yes, I like to wear colored pants too, but still need to find some bright red ones!

29. March 26, 2012 / 5:12 am

The evening looks like so much fun and you look gorgeous in your outfit, even the hat!
    Easy to overdose on lobster, as I used to every summer on Martha’s Vineyard.
    I have a pair of fuchsia skinnies and green skinnies – will be taking them to Florida this week for a trial run.

30. March 26, 2012 / 5:51 am

Adrienne I’m so pleased you’ve gone for the brightly coloured trousers after your initial hesitation – they look AMAZING on you!! Love them with the leopard belt and stripes. Your evening sounds fantastic, ooh that food, yummmmmm 😉

Catherine x

31. March 26, 2012 / 5:58 am

Thank you so much for stopping by and your inspiring comment. All the positive feedback helps me heal. And WOW you look amazing in those pants, they’re so hot! Can’t wait to get all dressed up again real soon!
    Sharon

32. March 26, 2012 / 6:39 am

Your outfit is very similar to mine today- love the bright pants with a striped shirt! Too cute! Found you on Monday Mingle!

33. March 26, 2012 / 8:39 am

Looks like a great time and those red pants are fabulous!!

34. March 26, 2012 / 9:42 am

The red pants look perfect on you. Your part of world is so bright in colors, that bright colors are almost a must!
    I got rid of my red pants, they were not the same red you have, but suddenly, they just felt so-not-me.
    The northern light favors a different color palette.
    A certain” worn ” wash in jeans + off white is my choice in pants.

35. March 26, 2012 / 9:44 am

You look amazing!

I would love to get hot pink pants but around here they seem to only come in super low rise skinnyskinnyskinny! Blech.

Do you tower over everyone?

36. March 26, 2012 / 2:51 pm

Looks like fun! You have me craving lobster. Love the red pants, where did you get them?

37. March 26, 2012 / 4:37 pm

Your outfit is perfect and you look perfectly fabulous in it! Love the touch of leopard.
    It looks like a really fun event and quite tasty too.
    Yes, I do wear colored jeans and I am thinking of getting some floral ones too! Crazy old lady for sure.

38. March 26, 2012 / 5:07 pm

Those pants look awesome on you! I love how you paired the leopard belt with the nautical look. My favorite picture is of the lobster hats, looks like you had a great time.

39. March 26, 2012 / 5:40 pm

Red slacks and navy stripes…It doesn’t get more classic than that!

40. Anonymous
    March 27, 2012 / 1:48 am

a

41. Anonymous
    March 27, 2012 / 1:52 am

I love those colored jeans, they are really cute! I used to own a pair of thrifted, Marella light blue jeans slightly flared but I could not bear the sight of me with those jeans on so I gave them to my mother in law….you either have to be really slim or really tall to look good in them…

42. March 27, 2012 / 5:01 am

I loove those red pants, I like that they are NOT skinny jeans, but look to have a slight boot cut, or would fit a boot underneath. I also loove it when it is *FUN*draising, what is the money going towards?

43. March 27, 2012 / 7:58 am

I can find the pants, but only the white or khaki come up. Weird…

44. March 27, 2012 / 10:44 am

Wow! I love the red, stripes, and leopard!

45. March 27, 2012 / 12:26 pm

@Ping Isn’t it a darling little town? I would live there in a heartbeat if given the chance.

I wouldn’t mind some red pants in a skinny cut. These trousers are made for a heel – would be nice to have red pants I could wear flats with.

I hope you had a great time in SF!

46. March 27, 2012 / 1:57 pm

@Pam @ over50feeling40 It looks like we are red pants sisters! They are such fun to wear. Think of all the color combinations – can’t wait to wear them with that hot pink clutch I won on your blog.

47. March 27, 2012 / 1:58 pm

@Juhli We all had such fun. And seeing everyone with their silly hats on just added to the festive atmosphere.

48. March 27, 2012 / 1:59 pm

@Annie That’s so cute, Annie! I sometimes forget I am so tall until I see photos of myself with other people.

49. March 27, 2012 / 2:02 pm

@Sylvia @ 40PlusStyle Red is such a fun and easy color – goes with almost everything. I hope you find a pair for yourself – you would look great in them.

50. March 27, 2012 / 2:04 pm

@kathy peck Even three days later – the mere idea of lobster makes my stomach turn after eating so much the other night. I’ll be good to go by next March though.

I look forward to hearing how you like wearing your fuchsia and green skinnies – and what you wear them with. Safe travels! xo

51. March 27, 2012 / 2:07 pm

@Catherine @ Not Dressed As Lamb I am so glad, too. I was very hesitant – worried about the age factor and wearing bright colors below the waist. Now that I have tried it, I hardly wear plain old jeans and black trousers anymore.

You have been a colorful fashion inspiration to me, Catherine.

52. March 27, 2012 / 2:46 pm

@Fashion-isha YOU are the inspiring one – such a wonderful and self-less thing you did, Sharon.

You will be back to yourself in no time – but make sure you get lots of rest first. xoxo

53. March 27, 2012 / 2:48 pm

@lowcarbhighstyle I have finally crossed over to the bright side where pants are concerned. You always look so great in yours, I just had to give them a try!

54. March 27, 2012 / 2:51 pm

@mette Welcome, Mette!

Interesting. I never have thought about the way the lighting in our geographical area plays into how our clothing appears but it makes sense.

I like my white jeans very much – although they aren’t fitting me as well as they did since I lost some weight. I would also like an off white pair for the upcoming warm seasons.

Thank you for stopping by!

55. March 27, 2012 / 2:53 pm

@Suburban Princess Thank you, SP! I bought a pair of fuchsia skinnies – they aren’t too low waisted, thankfully, and not too tight – from Gap. Check them out for a pair – you might really like them!

I do tower over many people but not everyone…and never Bill or my dad 🙂

56. March 27, 2012 / 2:56 pm

@what’s her bucket I bought them at Gap online. They only carry the red in talls – which may be fine for you since you are in fact tall. And you could get them hemmed if they’re too long. I think they’d look really fantastic on you. xo

57. March 27, 2012 / 2:58 pm

@Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell Ooh floral pants! I am not sure I am ready for them…but I have been pretty daring lately. If I can find them in a smallish floral print in my length, I would give them a go.
    I love how creative and colorful you always are,Debbi!

58. March 27, 2012 / 2:59 pm

@Carrie TealThanks, Carrie! We had a terrific time. I love that leopard belt – it goes with just about any outfit.

59. March 27, 2012 / 3:01 pm

@Anonymous It does help to be slim in the lighter color bright pants – but if the cut is flattering, sometimes it’s okay if you’re not very thin. I haven’t worn light blue jeans in forever. Are they making a comeback, too?

60. March 27, 2012 / 3:10 pm

@Kristin Thanks, Kristin! The top is actually black but navy would have worked well, too. I wish I had that top in navy now that you mention it!

61. March 27, 2012 / 3:13 pm

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) I like that they are trousers, too and not skinnies…although I do have some skinnies – colorful skinnies – that I will be wearing on the blog soon.

It was a fundraiser – a FUN fundraiser – for the fire department. It’s a volunteer department – like the one my husband will soon be running in our town. We have one every year too but ours is much smaller and we serve crab. We are thinking that we need to up our game for next Feburary’s feed – maybe some crab hats? 🙂

62. March 27, 2012 / 3:21 pm

@LRS4AMANDA I solved the mystery – they are only available in Tall in the red color. But that may work for you – tall is 36″, by the way.
    Maybe they are sold out in the red in regular?

63. March 27, 2012 / 3:24 pm

@Jill Thanks Jill! Stripes and leopard – one of my favorite pattern mixes.

64. March 27, 2012 / 5:20 pm

I am loving this same kind of look lately (I even have it posted on my Pinterest board). Great job, and the lobster feast fest looked like fun!

65. March 27, 2012 / 11:08 pm

This looks like so much fun!
    I’ve recently become addicted to colored pants and I have a bright pink pair that I’ve finally been brave enough to wear and now I want some in every color! And I desperately need a leopard print belt to wear with them 🙂

66. March 28, 2012 / 6:37 am

@Kari. I’d like to see your Pinterest boards, Kari. If you come back let me know how to find you!

67. March 28, 2012 / 6:41 am

@Sara Louise It’s hard to go back to plain old blue jeans once you’ve worn brightly colored pants and jeans.

I hope you find your perfect leopard belt. It took me ages to locate mine and I am so glad I did! I don’t know how I dressed myself without it.

68. March 28, 2012 / 8:17 am

cute!!!

69. March 28, 2012 / 9:47 am

Adrienne, Just getting over here now to read! Love the red pants, especially with the black stripes. You have inspired me to hunt some down now for myself!

Kim:)

70. March 28, 2012 / 10:15 am

What a fabulous event! I think your outfit could not have been more perfect! Love the red pants and your entire look.

71. March 28, 2012 / 12:17 pm

@kim at northerncalstyle. I can see you in red pants. The color of these Gap pants is so vibrant. They really make a statement.
    I hope you can find some for yourself. Try Gap first – but I think they only come in talls. Maybe JCrew?

72. March 28, 2012 / 12:18 pm

@annie Thank you, Annie! I like your new profile photo. Such a great color on you!