How I Wear My: Colorblocking

How I Wear My: Colorblocking

For this month’s “How I Wear My” post, Jill of Everything Just So and I decided the colorblocking trend was calling our names! It’s bright, easy, so very cheerful, and what a terrific way to welcome spring.

I went all out this month and put together three colorblocking looks.

For the first look, I paired the red Gap pants that I wore last month with a beautiful coral silk blouse by Coldwater Creek that I bought at a local consignment shop for just $20.00.

I also wore a Nine West leopard belt and Steve Madden blush patent pumps. I really love these colors together and the leopard print gives the combination a little extra something.

This next colorblocking look didn’t involve much styling. Since it’s already colorblocked, I just threw it on and wore the same Steve Madden pumps. This Rachel Roy dress was on deep discount at Macy’s last week. On sale for $33.00, marked down from $119.00. It was hard to pass up.

My final colorblocking look is what I wore yesterday to have coffee with Giacomo. The jeans are from Gap and the raspberry sweater is Banana Republic (consignment find). I carried my new hot pink clutch and  wore the same old dependable Steve Madden pumps.

There you have it! Three different colorblock looks.
I’d love to know which one is your favorite.
Will you be colorblocking this spring?
****************************************************************
Curious about next month’s “How I Wear My…”?

Quick, before it’s too hot out (and it may already be for some of you), tie on your favorite scarf, get a picture of yourself wearing it, and send it to me or Jill to be featured in our next “How I Wear My: Favorite Silk Scarf” on May 1st.

Feel free to have your scarf somewhere other than your neck—as a belt, around your bag, maybe even on your head! We’d love to hear the story behind your scarf, too. Is it special to you for some particular reason? The color? The design? The brand? Its provenance? Do share! And remember, you do not need to have a blog to participate.

Be sure you visit Jill’s blog to see how she
and all of the participants this month are colorblocking.

You will love the fantastic array of colorful looks.

1. April 4, 2012 / 3:40 am

I can’t believe I get to be the first to comment. Usually, I’m number 62.:)

I love your color blocking looks.

I’m dying to go to Gap to get some colored jeans, but am not taking two kids with me. Spring break this week.

I really love your two jean looks.

The dress is nice, too.

2. April 4, 2012 / 3:48 am

Colour-blocking is so fun – adleightful way to flirt with colour. I am very fond of the first ensemble. They colours are so happy. The dress is equally lovely too and you always look good in jeans;-)

3. April 4, 2012 / 3:54 am

I love all of your looks, but that Rachel Roy dress for $33…great shopping and it has such a fabulous fit! I also really like your coral pants! Have a great day!

4. April 4, 2012 / 3:56 am

Hi Adrienne!
    why do you exactly mean by colorblocking? wearing bright colours together?
    Those Gap light blue jeans are really really cute with that fuchsia sweater, a really lovely look.
    Last time you asked me what Italians do with clothes thrown in the garbage…well, there is aspecial collection box for it in the streets, thet are either stolen by other people or they are sold on market stalls but for profit not for charity….

5. April 4, 2012 / 5:03 am

LOOOOVVVE that red/coral/leopard combo. Fantastic!! But all look great on you!

6. April 4, 2012 / 5:25 am

Nicely done, Adrienne. You are looking as lovely as ever. I will have to get tips from you on how to do the colorblocking thing. I am thinking black on black is not the way to go? ; ) xo Bliss

7. April 4, 2012 / 6:04 am

The red/coral is my favorite too. Unexpected and sophisticated. And as usual, the trusty leopard belt anchors it so well. All look great, but that’s my favorite.

8. April 4, 2012 / 6:44 am

I am deeply dying over the first look. Those are great colors for you with your lovely long dark hair and I love that you put a leopard belt with coral and red. Aaaahhhh! We have to shop together someday. If we do please make me buy something other than black, white, or navy, hee hee hee. XO, Jill

9. April 4, 2012 / 7:22 am

Oooh, I really, really love the first outfit! I might have to give color blocking a try. We will see 🙂

10. Anonymous
    April 4, 2012 / 7:28 am

So hard to choose…they’re all adorable! Okay, if I had to choose my favorite it would be the last look, however, that first outfit looks scrumptious on you! Great colors for your complexion and hair! Those Steve Madden pumps are so versatile with their lower heel, and you’re getting a ton of milage out of them. I need a pair!

11. April 4, 2012 / 8:20 am

@Barbara von Enger Hi Barbara! I didn’t know who you were at first!

You are one of my fashion inspirations. I love how colorful you always dress.

12. April 4, 2012 / 8:23 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 Thank you for joining me and Jill in our colorblocking post. I love what you are wearing!

I couldn’t believe how much the RR dress was marked down. A real deal!

13. April 4, 2012 / 8:31 am

@lovesjetlag I am not an expert on the colorblocking trend or on fashion in general, but the way I understand it is this: Colorblocking is wearing bright colors together, usually no more than three at a time, and usually but not always in large segments. It can be geometric. like in my dress, or solid. Not usually a print but that can be thrown in as well in small amounts. There are no hard and fast rules. What I like about it is I find I end up putting colors together that I wouldn’t normally – like coral and red. It’s really pretty fun!

Thanks for answering my used clothing question!

14. April 4, 2012 / 8:41 am

@kathy peck My leopard belt gets a real workout!
    Coral/red is my favorite by far. My coral blouse was such a good find…and no breast pockets! Yay!

15. April 4, 2012 / 8:42 am

@jill815 Yes to shopping together – but I want to come to NYC. I am pretty sure shopping is better there than here in Sonoma County 🙂

Your JCrew top is fantastic! I just adore it – wish I had not missed out on it.

So fun to do our series every month. Thanks for doing the hard work and hosting this time. xoxo

16. April 4, 2012 / 8:44 am

@Jen-uinely Inspired Hi Jen! Do give colorblocking a try – I don’t see it much around Sonoma county. We need to make it a trend around here! Hope you all are well. Kisses to the baby!

17. April 4, 2012 / 8:47 am

@Anonymous I wear those pumps so much I am thinking I should have bought a back-up pair. It’s so hard to find a good pump these days that isn’t 5 inches high!

Glad you like the looks – the jeans and pants looks are my favorite, too. Not a huge fan of the dress on me.

18. April 4, 2012 / 8:49 am

@steppingmywaytobliss No, not black on black (I know you are kidding) but you could do black with another color like a bright green or aqua or fuchsia. I’d like to see you in a colorblocking look sometime a la JCP model 🙂

19. April 4, 2012 / 8:51 am

the coral blouse is just beautiful with the red jeans and I would never have thought to pair these two colors myself. I’ve got the scarf event on my calendar…we’ll see what I come up with.

Thanks to you and Jill for organizing this event.

20. April 4, 2012 / 8:57 am

@Terri Thank you for participating, Terri. I would like to find a red pencil skirt like what you are wearing over at Jill’s blog today to wear with my coral blouse for a dressier look. I am sure I will eventually find one on a thrifting journey.

21. April 4, 2012 / 9:17 am

They all look fantastic on you, but there is something about the last one I just love!!! You look plain adorable! 🙂

I haven’t had time to really look through my closet but maybe I have at least one color blocking outfit in there somewhere.

22. April 4, 2012 / 9:39 am

@LRS4AMANDA Thanks, Linda! I think the last oufit is the most wearable for my daily life. I did get some looks at the coffee shop at the senior community where I meet with Giacomo each week 🙂

You can color block with lots of different colors – do you have white jeans or pants? Or even a skirt? You can color block with a solid color top and a colorful belt.

23. April 4, 2012 / 9:56 am

Coral becomes you! And you are yet another reminder that no self respecting blogger can’t have a pair of red jeans in their closet. I need a pair, stat!

24. April 4, 2012 / 10:28 am

I love pink and red together! And your Rachel Roy dress is stunning on you.

25. April 4, 2012 / 11:48 am

Love the coral and red together. The leopard belt is so perfect with all these colors! That dress was a great deal too. Very cute for the trip…

Kim:)

26. April 4, 2012 / 11:58 am

@Bella Q Hi Bella,

Thank you for participating in our series this month. It’s great to have you!

I do hope you get a pair of red jeans or trousers – you could do very cool things with them, I am sure!

27. April 4, 2012 / 12:06 pm

@kim at northerncalstyle. I love the coral and red, too. And the leopard really makes the outfit. It’s interesting what a little $15 belt can do for a look.

I don’t think I am going to take the dress with me. I like it – kind of – but I don’t feel my best in it. If I had to do it all over again, I would not have bought it. Having said that, I would still like to experiment with it – maybe some different shoes and a jacket?? Or try it again this fall – if colorblocking is still the thing.

28. Wish I had a Gap here in Spain. Something else I will have to wait to do when i return to the UK.
    I really loved the last look; it just popped right off the screen 😉

29. April 4, 2012 / 1:33 pm

All 3 are fabulous on you but I like the first one the most. Must be that leopard belt.

30. April 4, 2012 / 4:41 pm

Oh La La!! You are wearing all looks fabulously! At 5’2″ colour blocking is hard to pull off .. but I love it!! xo HHL

31. April 4, 2012 / 5:21 pm

Thanks for the color-blocking tips! I’m crazy about this season’s corals, and have similar red pants, so while I love them all, I’m voting #1 🙂

32. April 4, 2012 / 6:09 pm

You look stunning! I LOVE ALL three!
    I can’t choose…
    You look SO good in bright colors!
    If I HAD to choose…if you absolutely made me choose, I choose #3!

Jeannie

33. April 4, 2012 / 6:43 pm

New follower; loved this post! I’ve been afraid to try color blocking, but you pull it off beautifully. I’ll be attempting it this week thanks to you! 🙂

34. April 4, 2012 / 9:26 pm

you look fabulous! number 3 is definitely my fav!

xoxo-emy

35. Anonymous
    April 4, 2012 / 10:46 pm

I love a cute dress and that one is def cute ! Maybe you don’t love it because it doesn’t do the best job at accentuating the narrowness of your waist. But regardless of that it still looks great. For $33 I would probably have bought it too. If only I could lose a few more pounds of baby weight and have free time to go shopping …. for now I’ll live vicariously through you 😉
    I also think the third look is super cute !
    Camille

36. April 5, 2012 / 6:27 am

@[email protected] No Gap in Spain? Here they seem to be on every other street corner. I don’t know what I would do for jeans and pants without Gap and Banana Republic. Their women’s tall line has kept me from wearing floods for years!

What about Zara? Do they carry any colorful jeans this season? I am guessing Spain has Zara, yes?

I like the last look, too. I am thinking about wearing it again this Easter weekend…it’s so colorful!

37. April 5, 2012 / 6:39 am

@Celia M. Hi Celia! The height thing is an issue I neglected to point out. I have read that tall women should wear blocks of color – solid color – to break up their tallness so they don’t look so linear as they would if they wore a pattern from neck -to-knee or ankle or if they dress monochromatically. I am sure there is a way for a petite woman to successfully color block – will need to scope out that subject online. Might be an interesting post!

38. April 5, 2012 / 6:43 am

@Lynne DeVenny I hope you give colorblocking a try! It’s fun to see how many colors you can put together. I want to try the coral blouse with my green jeans next.

39. April 5, 2012 / 6:45 am

@gracefully50.com I like #3, too. The aqua pants are very fun but not as easy to coordinate as the green jeans and the red pants. I am thinking white, gray and maybe yellow with the aqua?
    I love your soft, neutral look with the orange pants. Very sophisticated!
    Thank you for joining us in this month’s How I Wear My!

40. April 5, 2012 / 6:52 am

@Autie Hi Autie! Welcome! I think you already did a little colorblocking with the outfit you have on your blog right now – the orange/red skirt with the dark gray top. I think that qualifies!

41. April 5, 2012 / 6:58 am

@Anonymous Camille,

I do think it has something to do with that taupe triangle being right at my waist and hip area. I really don’t think I will wear it and am considering putting it on eBay.

It’s hard to find time to shop when you have a little one or a few little ones to raise. It is fun to look at fashion online..I love Pinterest for that. Have you checked Pinterest out?

• Anonymous
      April 5, 2012 / 4:02 pm

Yes I love Pinterest too. But I prefer getting my fashion fix through blogs. I like to read people’s life stories and look forward to every outfit. I must say, it’s rare to find a blogger who responds so personally to her readers ! Thank you for taking the time. Yes you are right, it is the placement of that one triangle but I still love it ! Oh well someone else will get to enjoy it lol.

42. April 5, 2012 / 8:18 am

Love one and three and love color blocking!
    Creamy

43. April 5, 2012 / 8:37 am

Celia – I am just a bit taller than you, and understand…

My solution is to dress bottom and top in same or similar color (ie: Adrienne’s 1st look) and add the contrast color in a “longish” sweater or coat (leave it open) = a column of color that elongates us and we appear taller!

And a 3rd color in a handbag.
    Cheers!

@Celia M.

44. I love them all. The first look is made so fab by the addition of the leopard belt. Very inspired.
    Each has its own appeal and I couldn’t pick one out over the others.

45. April 5, 2012 / 8:17 pm

@Emily Thanks, Emily. I agree – #2 is going to consignment or eBay tomorrow. Just not “me” – but the other two are 🙂

46. April 5, 2012 / 8:20 pm

@Linda Great tip, Linda. I don’t know much about how to dress for a petite stature…I suppose it would be the opposite of what I have been taught, to an extent. Now matter how tall any of us are though, we always want our legs to look longer – so the advice for that, I will follow.
    Thank you!

47. April 5, 2012 / 8:22 pm
  48. April 5, 2012 / 8:26 pm

@Anonymous Hi Camille,

The back story on blogs is what keeps me interested in them, too.

I do love my readers and believe that if someone takes the time to write to me, I can certainly respond. I sometimes don’t when things get hectic around here…but the goal is to respond to each and every one.

I have made the final decision to offload the dress either at consignment or eBay. My closet is too small to keep unflattering garments around..too bad because initially I really loved that dress.

49. April 5, 2012 / 10:41 pm