Positively Friday

Positively Friday

For a many reasons, I am happy to say farewell to April. It was a rough month around here.

To welcome in the first week of May with open arms, I decided to post another Positively Friday, reviewing all the good stuff that happened this week.

Here are a few things that have made this week positive:

1) My friend and neighbor, Gloria, invited me to go thrifting with her. Tuesday, we ventured into Santa Rosa to the Assistance League Thrift Shop on Sixth Street.  Gloria had a coupon that she let me use when I bought four necklaces, a picture frame, a silk scarf and two skirts, all for $19.00! Thank you, Gloria! I had a wonderful time with you. Let’s do it again soon.

We also visited my usual haunt, Goodwill on Fourth Street, where I found this Velvet brand polka dot dress for just $6.99.

It’s very soft, in great condition and the material has two layers so it drapes nicely.

On cooler days, I can wear it with a denim jacket.

Tori’s Denim jacket from Forever 21.

I decided to resurrect the half-up-bun. It’s been awhile since I’ve worn my hair this way.  I had forgotten how much I like it.

2) I visited my 99-year-old client, Anna, on Wednesday. She answered the door in a crisp white peasant blouse and cornflower blue shorts. She looked darling and so vibrant. I’ve decided from now on, I will never question whether or not I am too old to wear shorts again.

3) Our local Kenwood strawberry patch is open for business!

The family who plants, maintains, picks and sells the berries works extremely hard. I can only imagine how much my back and knees would hurt after picking berries all day.

Strawberry fields forever!

Whatever variety of berry they plant is sweet, juicy and far, far better than any strawberry you would find at the supermarket.

I am already buying loads of berries to clean and freeze for future smoothies.

4) According to the forecast, the last rainfall of the season visited us this week. This makes me sad because I love rain; I wish we had more of it around here.

Thursday, I took my favorite rainy day gear for one last spin: Guy de Jean umbrella, Calvin Klein rain trench, and Hunter boots.

I bought this blush and black striped boatneck top for around $10.00 on sale and black skinny jeans, both from Gap. I have been very happy with Gap clothes this season. Anyone else wearing a lot of Gap these days?

5) Our dogwood trees are blooming and the front yard is looking so colorful and lush.

I do love how colorful nature is this time of year.

6) Thursday, I met with a breast health specialist who gave me my final clean bill of health. She also discussed the possibility of my having genetic testing to see if I carry the gene that causes hereditary breast and ovarian cancer. I have to take a class first, fill out paperwork, then meet with her again in three months. Has anyone had any experience with the BRAC test? I have so many questions. I suppose that is the reason for the class.

7) Wednesday, one of my clients canceled on me and I found myself with two glorious and uninterrupted hours…alone. I chose to spend it watching the last two episodes of Mad Men. To me, this season got off to a slow start, but it’s really picking up speed now. I enjoyed seeing Julia Ormond play Megan’s mother. She is such a beauty.

Photo Credit

I’m interested enough in this season that now, I may actually try to stay up late (10:00 p.m.) to watch Mad Men Sunday night. Wouldn’t that be something? I am really living on the edge here at The Rich Life.

How was your week?
What’s been positive?

1. May 3, 2012 / 9:08 pm

Nature is sparkling. I adore this season. The flowers are pretty and I’m so looking forward to Summer;-)
    You doesn’t love summer fruits? Looking divine as always. Here’s to a happier May;-)

2. May 3, 2012 / 9:41 pm

I saw Julia Ormond in Mad Men and thought she was brilliant.
    Raining cats and dogs here, I could use those Hunter boots!
    You look so young, healthy and chic…
    Be Well
    XO

3. Anonymous
    May 3, 2012 / 10:27 pm

I’ve followed your blog for quite a while. I believe you have lost some weight…please share your secret.

4. May 4, 2012 / 12:25 am

Oh, dogwoods are my favorite flowering trees. Your polka dot dress has such a flattering fit and it looks great with the jean jacket. In fact, both outfits look amazing on you. Let the positivity snowball!

5. May 4, 2012 / 1:56 am

Cute clothes, strawberries, and flowers…May is sounding pretty good!! Have a great Friday!

6. Happy week! I love number 2. I have yet to get in the Gap, but now it is going to be too darn hot to wear pants so I’m trying to wear more dresses. Cute looks you had today. It is 90 here. Weird, wacky weather.

But, I’m doing a hotel feature in the mountains of NC so a new pair of pants would come in handy. It won’t be hot up there yet.

7. May 4, 2012 / 3:05 am

Love the new dress — so pretty and summery! We’re still a bit rainy back here in RI, but just seeing the trees start to bloom is encouraging.

8. May 4, 2012 / 4:30 am

1.) Lovely polka dot dress – very flattering! Half-bun is adorable, too!
    2.) Forever shorts, yay!
    3.) I love strawberries but get so frustrated when they mold – learned recently that a quick bath of 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water will kill mold spores and keep strawberries (and berries of all sorts) fresher for MUCH longer.
    4.) Even your umbrella is fancy – I love it! (And the Gap is looking lovely on you this season.)
    5.) We’ve had a weird hot/cold Spring… But I’m not quite ready for Georgia summer yet…
    6.) Where’s #6?!? LOL
    7.) I have yet to catch Mad Men… I’m more of a Castle and Lost Girl, um, girl.

This week has been a challenging one for health reasons (unexplained bouts of dizziness that last several hours being the most worrisome) HOWEVER I’m going into the weekend with a positive outlook, so it’s all good. 😉

9. May 4, 2012 / 4:39 am

I’m looking forward to the start of a new month too, Adrienne….let’s hope it’s a good one 😉
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Catherine
    xx

10. May 4, 2012 / 4:42 am

Ah, so much to be positive about! I really love this feature. The best part is: we are going to wear shorts whenever we want! : > I agree about J. Ormond – I found her utterly stunning on the show.

11. May 4, 2012 / 4:53 am

I think our strawberry farm will be open soon too! I can’t wait!

The Farmers market opens tomorrow tooooo :O)

Cute dress….refraining from shoe comments ;o)

I watched this week’s MM yesterday…just when I was thinking the best new couple is Roger and Sally….oops!

12. May 4, 2012 / 5:01 am

I adore all of your outfits! Great finds. We’ve been getting back into the routine after 11 days away, but am very happy to say I’ve had minimal jet lag! Seeing firsthand the French lifestyle always makes me want to rebalance my own life, and I’m looking forward to making positive little tweaks in my home life.

13. May 4, 2012 / 5:01 am

Oh, and I still have to catch up on those last two MM episodes, but have heard they’re real doozies! I LOVE Julia Ormond, she is just gorgeous and a wonderful actress.

14. May 4, 2012 / 5:54 am

Many things to say. First, you look incredible in that polka dot dress – if it had cost $250, I would say keep it! What a find.
    I love your Gap outfit, and yes, I’ve been very Gapped up this season as well. I think just about everything I wear right now is from there. I have 3 pairs of the black skinnies, because I’ve never had black jeans I’ve loved as much, and for the price, I wanted to stock up as I think they’re very “year round”.
    Yay to wearing whatever you like at whatever age!
    And love your Japanese Maple – always plant one in a new home for good luck – have just cleared a place for ours.
    And – if you love Julia Ormond – please see Legends of the Fall, she’s fantastic and so stunning. She does live somewhat near us, and I see her on occasion in a restaurant we go to. No makeup, very casual, gorgeous and with a smile and laugh that makes you melt.

15. May 4, 2012 / 5:57 am

I haven’t caught up with Mad Men this season, so I think I’ll have to wait until the season ends and it’s on Netflix. I wonder if Time Warner has it on demand?

You have a Gap body – you must be similarly proportioned to their fit models. Your outfits are just darling, and I’m really jealous that you have such quality thrifts shops in your area. Again, on that future trip where I visit you we are thrifting!

It’s in the 90’s in Austin, so no pants for me except for meetings. I’ve been observant of what the ladies are wearing, and it’s all about sleeveless dresses with a cardigan in tow in case the A/C is particularly frigid. I want to sew a couple of dresses before it gets too hot.

16. May 4, 2012 / 6:01 am

@hostess of the humble bungalow I didn’t know that Megan’s mother was played by Julia O at first. I knew she looked familiar but wasn’t sure who she was. I had to google to figure it out. She looks so elegant in her role and I love that black evening gown she’s wearing at Don’s award ceremony.

All that rain you are getting will make your flower garden even more beautiful…hoping you get some sunshine soon.

Have a lovely weekend.
    xoxo, A

17. May 4, 2012 / 6:05 am

@Anonymous I have been meaning to write a post about my weight loss since reaching my ideal weight a couple of weeks ago.

In a nutshell, I eat a low carb diet. But there is more to it than just that and I am happy to expand upon it in a post.

Thanks for noticing! 🙂

18. May 4, 2012 / 6:11 am

@Terri Yes! “Let the positivity snowball” – a great phrase, Terri.
    I wish dogwoods trees would look as pretty as they do right now all the time. The flowers are so lovely.

I found this Velvet brand dress just as I was about to leave. I didn’t try it on because I know what size I am in that brand and sure enough, it fits me perfectly. I was thinking about turning it into a high-low dress. But I think it’s something I can hold onto for a long time – and I don’t think the high-low trend will be around long -just a suspicion.

Have a lovely Friday!

19. May 4, 2012 / 6:18 am

Love this post, honey! The strawberries are glorious, I’m glad Julia Ormond is back to work, where has she been all this time? I don’t have cable so won’t see the new season of Mad Men until it’s released on DVD (don’t tell me what happens!). I stopped buying Gap because the quality really went down a few years ago but your striped top makes me think I need to have a look at them again. I think they’ve gotten the message that J. Crew is beating the pants off them (ha!) and they need to rethink their quality and design. Maybe they can replicate the good ol’ days before their CEO Mickey Drexler left them for J. Crew! XO, Jill

20. May 4, 2012 / 6:32 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 I was elated to see the strawberry patch open already, even in the rain. I plan on having them for breakfast this morning and most mornings from now on.

Have a lovely Friday, Pam!

21. May 4, 2012 / 6:47 am

@Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) I am so glad it’s not 90 here, yet. NC heat is rough because of the humidity. I wouldn’t want to wear pants either. They have some cute shorts if you wear shorts.

I am really liking their boyfriend khakis. They come in lots of colors – some pastels, some brights and some neutrals. A little something for everyone. They are cropped – great for spring and summer.

Have a great Friday, Leigh. Looking forward to your hotel post!

22. May 4, 2012 / 7:23 am

@Ercuan I love cool, rainy weather and part of me is dreading summer because I don’t like it hot.

I think I was ruined for heat by being raised in Las Vegas. I have such little tolerance for it. Do you feel the same way, my Vegas friend?

23. May 4, 2012 / 7:32 am

@Michelle Roebuck Michelle, Do you have vertigo perhaps?
    That would be very scary to experience, you poor thing. I do hope you get a diagnosis soon.

I did forget #6! Thank you for pointing that out. I decided to add something else rather than redo the numbering. I got the final word on my benign cysts. And I am going to try to get genetically tested for breast and ovarian cancer. A positive thing. although a little unnerving.

Have a lovely weekend and I do so hope your dizzy spells don’t return.
    xo, A

24. May 4, 2012 / 7:51 am

@Suburban Princess Mad Men is finally getting interesting! I love it now.

I know you hate my shoes but I love them!

Such exciting news about your trip to Scotland! I look forward to reading all about it.

Have a great weekend!

25. Anonymous
    May 4, 2012 / 7:51 am

Can’t wait for the post about your weight loss…and thank you in advance for sharing. It is a new issue for me since hitting the “middle age spread.” You seem to be so open and easy-going, I felt free to ask. You look even healthy, fit, and even more gorgeous! Thanks again!

26. May 4, 2012 / 7:55 am

@déjà pseu Please tell me and our readers your secret for minimizing jet lag. We are preparing for our trip and the jet lag issue is always in the back of my mind. I had 9 days of it last time when I came home – was utterly useless most of the day. Thankfully, I had no jet lag whatsoever while in Europe – it all hit when we returned home so I could recover in my own home.

27. May 4, 2012 / 7:56 am

Love the polka dot dress and it fits you like it was made for you. You mentioned following a low carb diet…what do you think of South Beach diet principles? It’s not Atkins but similar concept. I live on the central coast of California near Santa Maria, CA so we have fantastic strawberries. I am allergic but my family tells me our local berries are the best! I am very inspired by your thrift store finds. I don’t really enjoy shopping but maybe the treasure hunt aspect of thrifting will change my mind.

28. May 4, 2012 / 8:04 am

@kathy peck I am delighted you like the dress – since you are pretty much my fashion advisor lately 🙂

Gap has been so great this season. I don’t know what happened! In recent years, I rarely shopped there. Now it seems Banana Republic, Gap’s older sister, has gotten very business-y. I am no longer interested in their line.

We have several Japanese maples. They are such beautiful trees and look great almost year round.

I am all for wearing whatever we want, whenever we want. I am growing tired of rules around dressing. Fashion is meant to be fun and an expression of yourself. I plan on wearing shorts at 99, just like Anna.

I will have to rent “Legends of the Fall” – can’t believe I never got around to seeing that film.

Have a terrific day…xoxo, A

29. May 4, 2012 / 8:07 am

@Rebekah Bonde I am surprised by how well Gap is fitting me this season. Of course not everything I buy is a winner and I am still a little bugged by their weird sizing. I can be any of three different sizes depending on the jean or pant. So strange.

Ugh! 90 already? I dread hot weather. I did not know that you sew. What a wonderful skill to have. What sorts of dresses will you make? Sheaths?

Have a safe trip to Seattle. xo

30. May 4, 2012 / 8:12 am

@jill815 Something has most definitely changed about Gap. I, too, gave up on them a few years ago because of quality and fit issues. Then, when shopping for a pair of jeans at Banana without any luck (I am limited as my inseam is long – have to shop the lines that carry “talls”) I tried Gap and was delighted with the fit and the quality is not bad either – you can’t expect super high quality at the low prices they offer.

Where has Julia O been all this time? That is a good question.

xo, A

31. May 4, 2012 / 8:17 am

@Anonymous Thank you !

I will get working on that post this weekend – probably post on Tuesday or Wednesday. I have been meaning to write on this subject for sometime and am very glad you brought it up.

Have a lovely day!

32. May 4, 2012 / 9:01 am

Hey newly skinny girlfriend! Have you been to a proper bra fitting in the last 6 months? The photo of you in the polka dot dress makes your “girls” look less than perky.
    Yes. Ample tatas can look perky! I go to Nordstrom – but any bra specialist (they have measuring tapes around their necks) can be an invaluable assist to your assets! 🙂
    XO and Cheers!

@Adrienne Shubin

33. May 4, 2012 / 9:04 am

Have a great weekend! I really love the polka dot dress you found. Such a good score!

34. May 4, 2012 / 9:09 am

@Old Married Lady I do know a little bit about South Beach and think that is a great diet – though I have not actually tried it myself. I have more fat in my diet than the South Beach program.
    To bad about your berry allergy. I have heard of that before – causes a rash, right?

Thrifting is fun. You don’t always find treasures, but when you do it’s such a thrill! It makes shopping fun and adventurous for not a lot of money.

35. May 4, 2012 / 9:12 am

@Linda I had a professional bra fitting back in November – since then I have lost another 10+ pounds and I do think I may have gone down a cup size. I also think the straps need to be tightened. They never like to stay where I put them!

The polka dot dress sort of presses down on my bust – I tried to lift them up but they just get pressed down again. Perhaps that’s why the dress ended up at Goodwill! Maybe I will try a different bra and tighten up those straps. Thanks for letting me know!
    xo, A

36. Anonymous
    May 4, 2012 / 9:23 am

What a great find on the polka dot dress! And you look fabulous in it! It looks super cute with the jean jacket! But I gotta say, that Gap outfit is SO positively adorable! Tres chic! Those pants look so slimming, not that you need any help in that department, and that is the quintessential stripped shirt you paired with them. I LOVE your style! Thanks so much for sharing. Always look forward to you posts! Trish

37. May 4, 2012 / 10:25 am

Both outfits are darling. I really like that length dress on you!! It looks good with the jacket.
    Here’s hoping May is a better month for you.
    Cheers!
    xx

38. May 4, 2012 / 10:29 am

@Anonymous Thank you, Trish! I love the striped long sleeved T, too. I can’t believe it was so inexpensive. It’s very soft, too.

Have a great weekend!

39. May 4, 2012 / 10:31 am

@Mona Thank you, Mona. I am hoping May is better, too. April could have been worse – I realize that – but it was still a crappy month any way you look at it.

Have a lovely weekend! Glad you like the dress. I prefer it with the jacket, too.

40. May 4, 2012 / 6:15 pm

Wow! Looks like spring is happening up in Kenwood. I love fresh strawberries. There is nothing like them! I can almost smell them!

I have the same Gap top and love it! It looks really good on you with all the black. I am kind of sad about no more rain. I love it too.

Hope you enjoy your weekend!

Kim

41. May 4, 2012 / 7:38 pm

All I gotta say is WOW! You are looking fantastic!

42. May 4, 2012 / 8:41 pm

I love your rainy day outfit. I still need to get to the Gap.

You are a skinny minnie! Congrats on your weight loss. 🙂

I hope May is a better month for you.

Have a great weekend!

43. May 6, 2012 / 12:04 pm

I’m so glad for you that you’ve had so many “positives” to reflect on this week! And the seasons new strawberries are worth shouting about too – spring has definitely sprung in NorCal!

44. May 6, 2012 / 1:56 pm

@kim at northerncalstyle. How funny that you and I have the same Gap top. I bought it in navy with hot pink stripes, too. Such soft material!

I am bummed about no more rain…but the warm weather is pretty nice. As long as it doesn’t get over 90, I’m happy 🙂

45. May 6, 2012 / 1:59 pm

@LRS4AMANDA Gap has some great stuff, but they are getting low on certain popular items, I have noticed.

I hope you are having a great weekend! xo, A

46. May 6, 2012 / 4:24 pm

Your GoodWill seems to have a much better selection than ours, although I’m pleased with a BR skirt I thrifted last weekend. That dress looks great on you!

47. May 7, 2012 / 2:40 pm

@Lynne DeVenny I am pretty sure the GW I go to is a boutique – they skim all the good stuff off the top and take it to this particular location. I have been to some bad thrift stores – smelly, dirty, terrible selection. I think they key is to visit several and find the one that suits you best, then return every week or more to see what new things they’ve gotten in. Great job with a BR skirt, though. You just never know what you’ll find.