A day in Zurich

A day in Zurich

Our last full day of vacation was spent in Zurich. We left Lauterbrunnen mid-morning for Interlaken, where we met up with some local Kenwood friends who just happened to be in Switzerland at the same time.

After a walk about Interlaken and a sit down for a cappuccino, Bill and I said our farewells to our friends and headed off to Zurich. We arrived around 3:00 pm and got settled in our room in the Niederdorf neighborhood, a very lively, picturesque and colorful section of the city.
It was somewhat warm and humid out and I didn’t want to wear the pants I’d been in all day, so I opted for my only clean, non-pant option, my olive maxi skirt.
I wore it with a simple black Gap T-shirt, black ballerinas and I brought a denim jacket in my bag in case the weather changed, which it did.
We spent a good hour just getting our bearings and exploring the city.
The woman on the bike with the short shorts and heels tried unsuccessfully
to photobomb me. She nearly ran into the concrete post behind me trying.
As we ventured across the Limmat River to the Bahnhofstrasse district, we came across a flock of swans. See those two that are beak-to-beak? They were doing some sort of mating ritual. I took a video and once I can figure out how to upload it, I will share it with you. It’s not only interesting, it’s endearing, too.
Once we were in the Bahnhofstrasse district, we took a load off and got a drink and small snack right on the river, watching the water taxis come and go.
Bahnhofstrasse has some incredible shops; some of the best shopping I saw on our trip. Unfortunately, we had to settle for window shopping rather than actual shopping because all the shops were already closed for the day. Bill was more than a little pleased.
My favorite window display was a simple mannequin wearing the most darling sheath dress.
I hope you can see the detail at the waist. It’s a wall full of men in suits having a sit.
Disappointed by not being able to shop, I suggested we engage in another favorite vacation pastime of ours and eat.
Luckily, we happened upon this place.
Zeughauskeller is a fun, lively, pub-like hall that’s been around since 1487. It’s an enormous place and has a medieval, Knights of the Roundtable feel.
We enjoyed traditional meals of wiener schnitzel and potato salad and bratwurst with rösti.
We also savored glasses of their house-brewed beer. Bill chose to got for it and had a huge mug.
Soon, it became very crowded. This place is popular! And I know why. The food, the service and the atmosphere are all excellent.
With our bellies beyond full, we decided it was time to take to the streets for more sightseeing and an after meal walk.
As soon as we opened the door, we were met with throngs of people trying to get inside, while we squeezed passed them to get outside. There was a very good reason for the rush to get inside, but you’ll have to wait until Wednesday to find out what it was. This post is getting too long!
Tomorrow morning, Jill of Everything Just So and I are putting up our monthly “How I Wear My” post.  June is “How I Wear My: Chic Traveling Outift”. We’d love to see what you wear when traveling by plane, train, automobile, or cruise ship. Know some secrets for mixing comfort and style? Have an unbeatable travel outfit tip? Please share with us! Simply email a photo of yourself in your favorite travel look with a brief description to me or to Jill before this evening to be featured.

1. June 4, 2012 / 8:44 am

Love this!! Thanks for the tour and your look beautifully visible in another country…you so outshown the girl on the bike 🙂

2. June 4, 2012 / 8:47 am

I love it too. I think a long skirt like that is perfect for traveling…cooler than long pants too. Can’t wait to hear more, see more from your trip!

3. June 4, 2012 / 9:46 am

I bet you are glad you are not there this week as I saw heavy storms in both Switzerland and Italy all week. How lucky were you to escape that?

4. June 4, 2012 / 10:13 am

Fantastic pictures. The maxi skirt looked very comfortable for a day on the go. Thank you for sharing these glimpses of your vacation! I have not yet traveled out of the U.S. so I thoroughly enjoy these opportunities to experience travel vicariously! Blessings ~ Lina

5. June 4, 2012 / 10:15 am

Beautiful pics, Adrienne! I also wore a knit maxi skirt quite a bit on my recent trip – co comfortable for walking about. I love the picture of the swans, how romantic : > Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

6. June 4, 2012 / 10:34 am

welcome home!!!! it looks amazing and I love that green skirt!
    T xx

7. June 4, 2012 / 10:55 am

welcome home and you look fab as usual. so nice that someone wanted your picture!!! your trip looks amazing. xo janet

8. June 4, 2012 / 11:13 am

I think it is so cool that you are being photobombed in a foreign country! This means that you’re looking good and have transcended local style. I’ll be participating tomorrow…

9. June 4, 2012 / 12:29 pm

If you had found some spots to shop, I think you could have taken as long as you liked and bought whatever you wanted with that doe eyed, soft and gooey Bill tagging along after his big, big beer!!!!
    My hubby doesn’t care what we do as long as there is a beer around!

10. June 4, 2012 / 1:35 pm

That Dress!

11. June 4, 2012 / 2:00 pm

The long skirt is an excellent travel piece. It’s perfect for walking, is appropriate for visiting sacred sites where dress codes are enforced, and it can look chic enough for an early dinner. Brava!

12. June 4, 2012 / 2:55 pm

@Pam @ over50feeling40Thank you, Pam. That woman on the bike and I were dressed *very* differently. There were actually quite a number of scantily clad women in Zurich. I was surprised!

13. June 4, 2012 / 2:57 pm

@steppingmywaytobliss The skirt was nice to have but it’s very big when rolled up and took up a lot of room in the suitcase. If I had to do it over again, I would have brought my denim pencil skirt instead. Easier to pack and cooler. The maxi skirt is rather heavy but I still love it.
    More travel stories and photos coming your way – tomorrow and Wednesday.

14. June 4, 2012 / 2:59 pm

@[email protected] Really? I am glad, too. I would rather have stormy weather than a 6.0 earthquake that we had while we were in Italy, though. That was very scary!

15. June 4, 2012 / 3:01 pm

@Old Married Lady Any plans to go abroad? We didn’t start going to Europe until 2007 – now we are hooked (actually, my husband would rather take tropical vacations, but he like Europe, too).
    I am so glad we got a chance to visit somewhere new to us this tim. Switzerland is a lovely, safe and fun country. I hope we get a chance to return someday.

16. June 4, 2012 / 3:02 pm

@Patti @ NotDeadYet Style I liked my maxi, too. But not the best for packing – takes up too much space.
    I am loving the maxi skirt trend though. I am thinking about getting a black one like yours – more versatile.
    Glad you are having (or already had?) a great time in NYC.

17. June 4, 2012 / 3:03 pm

@Miss T Thank you, Miss T. So glad to be back home but I am starting to feel sad that our trip is over. Why does is go by so fast?

18. June 4, 2012 / 3:06 pm

@the gardener’s cottage She wanted to BE in my picture. She was trying to make some faces or something behind me and almost crashed her bicycle, silly woman.

It was an amazing trip – far exceeded my expectations.
    Hope you’ve been well! xo

19. June 4, 2012 / 3:08 pm

@Terri I like your explanation better. I figured she was pegging me for an American tourist and wanted to mock me. Who knows? All I know is it was amusing to see her almost run into the concrete cone. Luckily, she had some great reflexes and saved herself the embarrassment.

20. June 4, 2012 / 3:10 pm

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) You are so funny! And right. Bill is always much more liberal with his wallet’s contents when he’s had a little beer…and even more when he’s had a big one.

21. June 4, 2012 / 3:11 pm

@Lisa I know! If the store hadn’t been closed and the price tag hadn’t been $1000+, I would have tried it on. It was so darling!

22. June 4, 2012 / 3:13 pm

@Rebekah Bonde It was a good choice except this particular skirt was a little heavy. It took up a lot of space and it was not as cool as I would have liked. I am still glad I brought it though. I wore it out for dinner while in Italy to a nice restaurant. It was appropriate and comfortable.

23. June 4, 2012 / 6:17 pm

What a great end to a fantastic trip. I can see that a maxi skirt would take up a lot of suitcase room, but it does look great. Curious if you wore your black dress much? Hope you’re recovering from jet lag, and not having “after trip blues” – always hard to come home from Europe I think, for lots of reasons. xo

24. June 4, 2012 / 6:34 pm

I had to look up what photobomb meant! You looked lovely in the photos. I can hardly wait to see the video of the swans.

25. June 4, 2012 / 7:51 pm

@Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) It is a gorgeous and picturesque place. I am very fortunate to have been able to go on this fantastic adventure.

I know how much you love traveling, Leigh…I hope I am not making you too envious!

26. June 4, 2012 / 7:54 pm

@kathy peck I only wore my black Club Monaco dress once. I was so glad I had it in Como/Bellagio where nearly every woman dressed up a little during the day.
    That dress was so easy to pack. It took up very little space. I wish I had had more opportunities to wear it. It was too dirty to wear after Como, unfortunately.

I am having the post-travel blues. It’s one part jet lag and one part sadness that the trip is already over.

I am sure I’ll be back to my usual self by week’s end.

27. June 4, 2012 / 7:57 pm

@[email protected] Photobombing, when intentional, is not always a nice thing to do. But it can be pretty funny in certain circumstances. I have seem some hilarious photo bombs – the unintended ones are the best.

I am having a hard time getting my videos onto YouTube. I need to spend some time on that soon….the swan video is worth the effort.

28. June 4, 2012 / 11:00 pm

Love reading all about the trip and hearing where and what you ate, did and more. So fun. Looks like a fabulous time. Looking forward to more!

Kim

29. June 5, 2012 / 12:15 am

No way! Kim and I are both up waaay too late tonight/early this morning. 🙂

Ditto to everything mentioned above Adrienne…thank you for sharing all the fun you experienced.

Cheers!

30. June 6, 2012 / 8:53 pm

I bet that restaurant is fun!
    Looking forward to see the video of the swans 🙂