How I Wear My: Chic Traveling Outfit

Jill of Everything Just So is hosting this month’s How I Wear My. Please be sure to stop by and see all the participants showing how they travel smartly and stylishly.

For my recent 18 day trip to Switzerland and Italy, I selected a travel outfit that perhaps isn’t really that chic, but certainly comfortable and practical for the 11 hour plane ride.

For about a week or two, I vacillated over bringing my trusty black trench coat with me on the trip. When two friends who live in Italy warned me before I left that the weather had been unpredictable and rather soggy, I made my decision. And it was the right one. When we arrived in Lucerne, it was drizzling and cold and I wore the coat the entire time we spent in Lucerne. Thank you, Barbara and Wyndi, for the heads up.

First photo of the trip…on the streets of Lucerne.
Aside from changing my top, this is what I wore on the plane.

I chose my most comfortable jeans, Joe’s bootcut with a little stretch, to keep me comfortable throughout the flight and subsequent train trip while I gradually retained water as I always do when I fly and when I eat lots of carbohydrates and sugar.

Bill and I being matchy in our black coats and jeans at the Lion of Lucerne memorial.

For shoes, I wore my sensible booties. They aren’t very hip, but they sure are comfortable. And for a top, I wore a new Gap oxford in a pretty yellow color. I am so disappointed. At some point during the flight, it was stained not once, but twice with something black. Black grease? Ink? I don’t know. But so far, I can’t get it out and may have to toss it. Boo.

Excitedly waiting to take off.
This is the only photo wearing the yellow shirt.

My accessories were simple. I wore a gold toned Guess watch that you see here on the blog all the time, my old beat up Louis Vuitton tote, wedding set, a cherished yellow and white gold necklace given to me by a family member, and a black pashmina I could use as a blanket or pillow. I wore no earrings the entire trip. I just haven’t been into earrings lately; not sure why.

I was comfortable the entire flight. The shirt was light and cool, my pashmina made a lovely pillow, and  my jeans gave me just enough stretch without becoming baggy.

While we are on the subject of travel, I thought I would show you a few more photos from our two day visit to Lucerne.

We stayed at a lovely bed and breakfast right on the river, near the Chapel Bridge. We were fortunate enough to get the best room in the place – top floor, middle room.

We stayed in the white building at the very top where the three windows are.
Right under the “DES” sign. I think it’s room 526.

It had a balcony with a little cafe table and patio chairs.

And a view of snow covered mountains, the mouth of the lake,

and Chapel Bridge was right below us.

We had dinner at this charming place…twice.

We ate fondue both nights. We love us some gooey cheese and bread.

And we did a bit of shopping. I bought a black Longchamps Le Pilage bag for less than $100 USD (they sell for $145 at Nordstrom) and Bill bought the kids some Swiss Army knives that were also much less expensive in Switzerland.

We love Lucerne.

Who knew baby mud hens could be so adorable?

It’s a beautiful, clean, organized and friendly city but it’s expensive. For example, the local British pub serves a simple hamburger and fries for 21 Swiss francs, which is about $22.00. And I thought California was pricey!

It was worth the cost, though. We had a wonderful time during our brief stay and hope to return to Lucerne on a future trip.

For July, in the spirit of Independence Day, Jill and I are going to be working those most patriotic of colors, so join us for “How I Wear My: Red, White and/or Blue” on Tuesday, July 3. They aren’t just patriotic, they are classic summer colors, and so very nautical (think of those wonderful Breton sailor stripes!), so whether you wear all three together or go with two, or even one, show us your red, white and/or blue!

So tell me, what’s your favorite chic travel outfit?

1. June 5, 2012 / 4:57 am

I am loving your photos of Switzerland as I was in Zurich 20 years ago and really enjoyed it. Re the stain on the shirt – sometimes dry cleaners can get them out when nothing else works.

2. June 5, 2012 / 4:57 am

Your pictures are so lovely, and REALLY making me want to go to Switzerland next… And your travel outfit, great choice! Too bad about the shirt though. 🙁

3. June 5, 2012 / 4:58 am

I think your travel outfit was perfect. I think you still looked stylish while maintaining comfort. Love your photos!

4. June 5, 2012 / 5:15 am

You pictures are amazing! And you can totally do chic and comfortable…why not?!
    Sharon

5. June 5, 2012 / 5:20 am

What an incredibly beautiful place…I would love to see it some day. Looks like it was a fantastic trip!

6. June 5, 2012 / 5:48 am

So so so jealous about the Longchamps bag! It looks like you had a wonderful time. I love seeing the photos!

7. June 5, 2012 / 6:40 am

Wow, what great pictures, thank you for giving me a little vacation to Switzerland! I love fondue too, and I’m starving right now so that sounds sooooo good (yay gooey cheese and bread!) and now I want a baby mud hen to come live with me in Brooklyn. I hope you will share more vacation photos. I’m not going anywhere overseas anytime soon and I need some European eye candy! Italy, please! XO, Jill

8. June 5, 2012 / 7:17 am

I’m kind of stuck on the fondue photo. So delicious.
    I wear something or other that’s very similar to what you’re wearing for travel. Lucerne looks so beautiful in the photos. I was there, but a long time ago….

9. June 5, 2012 / 7:36 am

@Juhli Thank you, Juhli. I will try the cleaners. I am going to get some stain remover today – Shout or something to see if that works. The stain remover I currently use isn’t so effective. I hate to throw the shirt away having only worn it once. Next flight, I am going for dark colors.

10. June 5, 2012 / 7:37 am

@déjà pseu I do hope you’ll visit Switzerland next time you’re in Europe. It’s a safe, clean, organized and gorgeous country with great fondue and chocolate!

11. June 5, 2012 / 7:43 am

@Fashion By Alicia Thank you, Alicia. The black trench really helps any outfit look a little more stylish. I am so glad I brought it along not only for style but for warmth!

12. June 5, 2012 / 7:44 am

@Fashion-isha Yes, it is possible to do chic and comfortable. i am not one to tolerate discomfort for long, so I usually go for comfort. But I don’t like to ever look frumpy or sloppy.

13. June 5, 2012 / 7:46 am

@Ercuan I wasn’t sure how much a Longchamps bag is here in the states but I knew it was more than $100. So glad I bought one – wish I had grabbed another. Oh well, now I know!

14. June 5, 2012 / 7:54 am

@jill815 Italy will be next week. I have a dizzying number of photos from our trip and need to go through and edit them all.

The fondue was spectacular, as expected. Out of the 7 nights we stayed in Switzerland, we had fondue 5. And raclette one night, which is also cheese and starch.
    I am getting hungry now too just writing about it!

15. June 5, 2012 / 7:56 am

@kathy peck I need to figure out a way to have low carb fondue – that may be pretty hard since bread is such a big part of what make fondue so yummy.

The Gap shirt is so soft and comfortable. It was like wearing a pajama top on the plane – a slightly fitted pajama top with an oxford collar 🙂

16. June 5, 2012 / 9:07 am

What a beautiful place…love all the photos!!

Looks like bringing the trench was a smart idea. Probably a necessity! I remember my girlfriend was shopping for one before a trip to Europe.

17. June 5, 2012 / 11:12 am

You always look great. And as much as I would love you to come to Melbourne, if you think $22.00 for a burger is expensive….

18. June 5, 2012 / 11:38 am

All of it looks and sounds so fabulous–would love to go to Switzerland.

But not wearing earrings? (gasp). I feel naked without my earrings on…even though I usually only wear studs.

BTW, the little Eiffel tower necklace you gave me is getting worn almost daily. I love it because it is so lightweight for summer. : )

19. June 5, 2012 / 12:12 pm

Love the photos Adrienne! What a shame to ruin a new shirt. I am a firm believer in Black, especially when travelling as it hides a multitude of sins! Did you wear those travel(support) hose?

20. June 5, 2012 / 2:00 pm

Lucerne is wonderful. And you’re right. I remember it being expensive, too. You look great. I did a little traveling, too while you were gone to a charming town in the NC mountains. You would have liked the cabin that we stayed in for the night for the feature that I did.

21. June 5, 2012 / 2:22 pm

That’s a wonderful room you had! How far ahead of time did you have to reserve it?

22. June 5, 2012 / 3:12 pm

Beautiful photos!

I might have to pull together a pic for next month – of course it will only be red and white ;o)

23. June 5, 2012 / 5:33 pm

Switzerland looks beautiful (and so do you)!
    You’re travelling outfit is far more pulled together than mine – my main focus is the easiest possible clothes to get me through security.

24. June 5, 2012 / 5:37 pm

Hi Adrienne!
    Your trip sounds so wonderful! I love your photos…it allows me to enjoy faraway places thru your eyes. Thanks for sharing.
    You and Bill look so happy, and fashionable in black!

25. June 5, 2012 / 6:58 pm

Great photos…I love the one on the balcony.

You are a very elegant traveler, I must confess that when I fly I wear all black ~ yoga pants and Tom’s, and a silk knit cardigan set, not very elegant but comfortable.

I look forward to the photos of Italy. So glad that you had such a great time!

26. Anonymous
    June 6, 2012 / 3:10 am

Your pictures are a walk down Memory Lane for me. We honeymooned in Switzerland almost 22 years ago. We toured 5 cities and Lucerne and Zurich were two of them. What a beautiful part of the world! Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

27. Anonymous
    June 6, 2012 / 3:23 am

Hi Adrienne!
    glad to have been useful!
    I’ve never been In Lucerne..honestly I am not much attracted to Switzerland because it is too expensive In Lugano you pay the equivalent of 4 euros for a cappuccino..it is a beautiful country but too expensive for a family with kids….too bad!

28. June 6, 2012 / 6:40 am

You had me at fondue. I’m so glad I’ve stumbled onto a non-wheat, low-carb bread recipe so I can fondue it up this winter. Yum.

And I meant to participate in the chic travelling thing…maybe it’s not too late. You struck the right balance of comfortable, pulled together, and practical. Only teenagers can get away with wearing pajamas and sweatshirts on the plane (I travelled with a girl once who didn’t even bother getting dressed THAT morning, and we were flying to Kenya). The chicest travellers I’ve encountered always look pulled together and casual, as if they are just going to the movies or a cafe instead of a 10-hour plane ride.

29. June 6, 2012 / 7:46 am

@LRS4AMANDA Had I not brought the trench, I would have had to buy one while I was over there. The weather changes quickly in Switzerland, and in Italy, too.

My CK trench was a very smart buy – so glad I purchased it and brought it along with me.

Hope you and yours are well…we need to catch up soon! xoxo

30. June 6, 2012 / 7:48 am

@Miss T Ugh! Really? I sort of knew things were spendy in Oz, but a $22+ burger is normal there? That’s not making me want to travel down under anytime soon.

31. June 6, 2012 / 7:49 am

@steppingmywaytobliss Yes, I don’t know what’s with the earring thing. I put them on on some days, then end up taking them off again. I have been wearing necklaces and bracelets more and I think adding earrings just makes it too, too (as my mother used to say).

I am so happy to hear you’re wearing the Eiffel necklace. I had forgotten all about that!

32. June 6, 2012 / 7:52 am

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) I know – should have worn black on the plane. Next time, I will.
    No support hose. Just jeans with socks and boots. I made sure to get up and walk about so as not to get sick…you can get a clot (pulmonary embolism) if you’re not careful about getting enough movement on long flights.

33. June 6, 2012 / 7:55 am

@Terri Funny you should ask. I thought I had confirmed our reservation online but I screwed something up or they did (probably me, the Swiss are very, very efficient). We were worried they wouldn’t have a room for us at first. Imagine our surprise and our delight when they gave us the best room in the place!
    So to answer your question, we did not really book ahead. But I attempted to do so back in February.

34. June 6, 2012 / 7:56 am

@Suburban Princess Oh, I do hope you participate. Red and white would be a great patriotic combination- maybe add a little Maple leaf scarf or pin??

35. June 6, 2012 / 8:00 am

@robyn Security is always an issue for me, too. I wore lace up boots last time we went to Europe. Stupid me.

I did get a rather intimate pat down on the way over – there is a little metal logo thingy on my jeans’ back pocket that the big body scanner picked up. So that was interesting. I would still wear those jeans though. They are so comfortable and they don’t stretch out too much – just enough to accommodate my travel bloat. I am willing to put up with an awkward pat down for comfort 🙂

36. June 6, 2012 / 8:02 am

@gracefully50.com It was a wonderful trip – glad you are enjoying the photos. I haven’t even gotten to Italy yet – so it looks like this month is shaping up to be all about our trip.
    Thank you so much for participating in this months How I Wear My. You look very chic in your maxi and blue pashmina.

37. June 6, 2012 / 11:04 am

what a wonderful trip. you two could not be more perfect together. cheers to a perfect match you guys! xo janet

38. June 6, 2012 / 5:27 pm

Your trench was very classic and sounds very sensible. I take a coat with me everywhere I go, because I am always cold. I tend to wear maxi skirts when I travel because they are comfortable. My shoes are usually flip flop- not so sensible. Looks like you had a great time.

39. June 6, 2012 / 5:31 pm

oh the Lion of Lucerne! I remember seeing it. Lucerne is so pretty. Did you go to Bucherer?

Love the trench, it looks very classic on you!

40. June 6, 2012 / 9:27 pm

You had me at fondue!
    My chic travel outfit changes all the time but I am wearing jeans less and less these days. I just haven’t found a pair that look good and are comfy. I’m thinking this summer I’ll be trying out maxi dresses for any trip 🙂

41. June 7, 2012 / 5:35 am

@La Vie Quotidienne Your travel outfit sounds very comfortable and very modern, too. I bet you look great when you take your trips to France.

Italy photos are coming. There are SO many! I need to go through and pick out the best ones to show you all.

42. June 7, 2012 / 5:38 am

@Anonymous I am happy I could resurrect some memories of your Swiss adventure. Next time, we want to see Geneva, Bern and the Appenzell region. There just wasn’t enough time to get it all in this trip.

43. June 7, 2012 / 6:34 am

@Anonymous It is a VERY expensive country. We were prepared for the expense though and ate most lunches in our room or on a picnic. The grocery stores have very high quality foods – also expensive though. I actually preferred our picnics over eating in a restaurant.
    We also searched out the best Rick Steves approved lodging….he has never steered us wrong once. All his recommendations are reasonably priced, with great locations and nice rooms.
    And we didn’t shop that much – only the Longchamp bag, some knives and chocolate. I also bought some cashmere goat milk soap for a friend. But that’s it. Everything else was sky high!

44. June 7, 2012 / 6:45 am

@Rebekah Bonde I didn’t see too many pajama clad people on our plane but at the Zurich airport, there was a big groups of teenage American girls flying to Chicago. They looked like they were having one big slumber party – it was kind of cute, actually, since they were probably 17 or 18. But over 18, not so cute.

Do I have your bread recipe? Is it on our blog (that I never post on anymore)?

45. June 7, 2012 / 6:47 am

@the gardener’s cottage Thanks, Janet. We do feel like we were made for one another. Kind of weird! I didn’t believe that such a relationship would exist for me. We travel well together, too except when Google maps gets us lost. Then we argue…can’t get along every second of the day! That would be boring 🙂

46. June 7, 2012 / 6:48 am

@Carrie Teal I could wear flip flops on the plane if it was a short flight – less than 3 hours. Otherwise, I would worry my feet would get all puffy and ugly – better to hide them in shoes. Plus, they would get cold. I don’t like cold feet.

47. June 7, 2012 / 6:50 am

@LR @ Magnificent or Egregious We did go to Bucherer. What a zoo! There were hoards of people there.

We saw some really blingy watches – a leopard Rolex encrusted in diamonds that went for $180,000+
    That place is a watch lovers dream come true! So many to choose from.

48. June 7, 2012 / 6:52 am

@Sara Louise I think a maxi skirt or dress would be great for summer travel. My jeans are so comfortable…but I have others that aren’t and would never wear them for such a long flight.

I have another longish trip coming up next month – driving (alone) for about 10 hours. Since it will just be me and the Interstate, I will probably wear shorts or yoga pants.