Lucca

Lucca
Upon arriving in Tuscany from Switzerland, Bill and I visited Lucca and enjoyed our first Italian meal of the trip before trying, in vain, to find the villa on our own which was located just 10 minutes from the walled city.

We got so lost trying to find it, we had to ask our friend to meet us at a gas station and lead us through the maze of backroads to the villa.

The next morning, after getting settled and unpacked the previous evening, we visited Lucca again as a group.

Shana, the birthday boy’s fun-loving wife.

One of the entrances to Lucca.
Bill, taking a break from shopping and sightseeing.
A steady stream of people came to refill their water bottles at this fountain.
Chic woman on a cute bike.

The couples in our group went in different directions for the morning. We agreed to meet at a designated time at this restaurant for lunch. We dined at this very table.

Bill’s soup….so comforting.

Pasta all’arrabbiata with the ideal amount of spiciness.

After lunch, we had a little more time to walk around and explore Lucca before we met our van. I bought a few things I will show you in a later post – this one has too many photos as it is!

We returned to the villa to relax for a while by the pool and get ready for the evening. Shana had plans for us that included a wine tasting at this place located in Lucca.

Big man and a little truck.

The street level floor is a wine shop. Downstairs is a very cool wine cellar.
One of the oldest wine cellars in the region.
We tasted several delectable wines while the owner explained each one to us in detail.
The cheeses were outstanding. I could have made a meal of just cheese, bread and wine.

Wine as old as me.

After our lovely wine and cheese tasting experience, we went to dinner at this place, just a short walk from the wine shop.

Ed, the birthday boy.
My entree of melt-in-my-mouth swordfish

Best cannoli I’ve ever eaten
and don’t get me started on the spoons filled with whipped cream.
Showing off one of my Lucca purchases: a few leather bracelets that I’ll show you soon.

Lucca is a gorgeous, interesting and charming city with great food, shopping and sights. We had such a wonderful time there. I look forward to someday returning.

1. June 19, 2012 / 6:51 am

Your photo’s are absolutely gorgeous! When I was a kid I grew up in Europe ( my Father worked for the Embassy) and I still miss the architecture. Canada and the U.S. are such young countries and don’t really have a sense of history yet, I miss it.

2. June 19, 2012 / 7:00 am

Love the pictures…thank you for sharing your adventure this way with us! What a fantastic vacation, and how cool to be able to enjoy a wine tasting (something common for us Californians who live in wine country) in such an interesting place. The food you enjoyed looks amazing.

3. June 19, 2012 / 7:08 am

So many good experiences! I could sit all day at that table and watch the world go by, so long as the beer and nuts where there from a few pictures later. I think I would have to stop and stay with the charcuterie plate. Doesnt get any better than that.

4. June 19, 2012 / 7:21 am

I must say Shana planned the trip down to every last detail, leaving enough room not to feel scheduled each minute. Perfect.
    The photos are fantastic, and you look great as always.
    Very surprised to see Bill sitting down while you shopped, knowing how much he loves shopping 🙂
    And yes, the food in Lucca is amazing!

5. June 19, 2012 / 8:13 am

Oh, it looks *amazing*!! If we get back to Italy someday, will have to go there! You look so gorgeous and chic.

6. June 19, 2012 / 9:46 am

Loved the chic lady on the bike, and you are the chic tourist out and about! I loved your pictures and now I really want to go there…thanks for sharing!

7. June 19, 2012 / 10:54 am

Adrienne how wonderful love all of the photos from your trip!! The food the wine the sightseeing!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    Artists Series 2012

8. June 19, 2012 / 11:33 am

The photos of your trip are amazing!!! Lucca looks so beautiful.Just amazing.

9. June 19, 2012 / 11:36 am

Today Patti posted about Susan Sommer’s Italian Chic book. You look like you could have stepped out of that book…especially the shot of you walking down the narrow street/alley. Too cool.

10. Anonymous
    June 19, 2012 / 1:14 pm

Thanks for including the picture of the chic lady on the bike. Really like that one.
    Camille

11. June 19, 2012 / 5:45 pm

Those are some fabulous photos, and the trench coat looks fabulous in that background!

Carrie

12. June 20, 2012 / 6:57 am

What a lovely city and it looks like you are having a wonderful trip with lots of gorgeous sites, shopping, and delicious food.

Cheers,
    leslie

13. June 20, 2012 / 7:14 am

Doesn’t Italy remind you of how we live here in the Wine Country? Your pictures make me want to go to Lucca … tomorrow !!

Cheers from a Napa Valley Girl,
    Mary Jane

14. June 20, 2012 / 8:02 am

Great photos!

My ex-husband’s grandmother and aunt were Italian and made tortellini’s in the broth every Easter. I still remember seeing them at the kitchen table forming the dough, took them hours. A labor of love.

That polenta and canoli look mouth watering!

Some great shots of you Adrienne!

15. June 20, 2012 / 4:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your photos!
    I’m really enjoying them!

16. June 20, 2012 / 6:15 pm

So many narrow alleys, or is it streets? Is bottled water expensive there? That may explain the use of this fountain. Admired the woman on the bike–and her multi-tasking. Did you bring home a bottle of wine as old as yourself?

17. June 20, 2012 / 9:34 pm

Love the walled city. It looks so pretty in all the photos. The skinny streets are very neat. Looks like a wonderful spot. Love the town square too.

I can’t wait to see what you’ve bought.

Great post!
    Kim

18. nikki
    June 20, 2012 / 9:46 pm

i love lucca. on a family vacation to the region a few summers ago, we spent a morning there. we rented bikes for all of us and went riding on the top of the walls – very kid-friendly and so much fun! and an fyi – actress marisa tomei’s family is from lucca…

19. June 22, 2012 / 8:32 pm

Delightful tour! And that pic of you in the alley looks like something you’d see in a Vogue advert! You all look like you enjoyed everything and I’m so glad you made the trip and can share your adventures with us.

20. June 24, 2012 / 10:56 am

Too funny! we are here right now. lucca is as you described and more. I also highly recommend renting bikes to drive above and around the city on the ancint ramparts. such fun!