Swans, Rainbows, Roses and Hail in Zurich

Swans, Rainbows, Roses and Hail in Zurich

Monday, I left off with Bill and I leaving Zeughauskeller. Before I tell you why people were pushing to get into the restaurant while we were trying to get out, let me show you that swan video I mentioned.  I finally figured out how to load videos from my phone to youtube and it was easy. I didn’t even curse once!

This must be some sort of mating dance, right? Or maybe it’s two males vying for dominance? Any bird/swan experts out there?

Bill and I made it onto the street and as soon as we did we realized why all those smart people were trying to get inside. It was raining. Hard.

We had no umbrella and only my little denim jacket for cover. Quickly we tucked into a doorway, a shallow doorway, and watched as the intensity of the rain increased.

Soon, it was raining sideways, in our direction of course, and the temperature dropped a bit. Before we knew it, it was hailing. The size of the hailstones started out small, like little peas, but soon increased to a large blueberry (I must be hungry today).

We were pummeled with the hail as we stood in our small shelter. It was quite a show! We weren’t the only  ones enjoying it. This older gentleman and his wife were waiting out the storm, too.

As soon as the storm began, it ended. No long, tapered rain shower to finish things off. It just stopped as if someone flipped a switch.

We stepped out of the doorway and sized each other up. How wet did we get? Well, my ballerinas were drenched, as were my feet. And the bottom third of my maxi skirt was soaked; really soaked. And Bill’s shoes were wet, but his feet stayed dry. His jeans were as full of water as my skirt. But we didn’t care. It was exciting!

When I walked, my skirt slapped soggy fabric around my ankles and shins. Not the most comfortable way to walk around. So I picked up the end of my skirt when in motion.

As we reached the Limmat River once again, we were treated to the most beautiful sight of the day. A rainbow!

That is the couple hiding in the other doorway. They were so darling.

After we took a thousand photos of the rainbow, we continued our exploration of Zurich.

We happened upon a lovely kinderspielplatz. What is a kinderspielsplatz? It’s a playground.

It was a playground with a view…

and flowers…

and games.

After we left the park, we went back down the stairs to the river for more photos…yes, more!

Eventually, we had a sit at a wet outdoor table just outside a restaurant to take a load off. I snapped this handsome photo of Bill looking contemplative.

He’s probably thinking about how spectacular our trip had been. Or maybe he was wishing he had another one of those huge beers from Zeughauskeller.

We packed a lot of activity into less than 18 hours in Zurich. I am sure there is much, much more to see of this colorful and beautiful city. Someday, we’ll return to explore even more. But next time, we are bringing umbrellas.

I’ll be back sometime tomorrow with another Positively Friday.
And next week, I’ll have some Italy posts for you!

1. June 7, 2012 / 9:28 am

It’s just lovely, even with the rain and hail. Wet shoes…no fun though!

2. June 7, 2012 / 9:38 am

@déjà pseu It is lovely. Thankfully, my shoes managed to survive. But it is no fun to walk around with cold, wet shoes on.

3. June 7, 2012 / 10:49 am

Hi!
    That photo of you with the roses in the background is really lovely! So what’s next now? Italy? Can’t wait to see the pictures and to read your next posts!

Barbara

4. chouette22
    June 7, 2012 / 12:12 pm

This is funny. Your pictures of the thunderstorm and rain/hail look exactly like the ones I took at the same place last year. I was in Zürich with my son and suddenly, right after the Zeughauskeller, we were also surprised by a downpour and waited it out under the entrance of a store. Dramatic sight, followed by wet shoes. 🙂

5. June 7, 2012 / 12:18 pm

We had a horrible hailstorm a little over a week ago. Our yard looked like it had snowed-it was just white. The hail was coming in sideways. Your pictures look lovely. The water is so clean in the pictures.

6. June 7, 2012 / 12:57 pm

I bet you wont forget an umbrella next time! That doorway didnt leave much wiggle room but the good thing is you will always remember the day! Im sure the surroundings made you forget about it very quickly after it was all over.

7. June 7, 2012 / 1:08 pm

yes I think the swans were being romantic, just like you and Bill in the doorway! It looks like a fantastic city, but those hills would kill me! It is absolutely flat where I live.

8. June 7, 2012 / 1:43 pm

I think you earned a large mug of hot chocolate that day! It had rained on us when we went to the Canary Islands for a day, and there was no shelter! But if you are in good spirits and take it as part of the adventure for the day, it doesn’t have to ruin the touring as it can your shoes.

9. June 7, 2012 / 2:53 pm

Despite the rain you look fabulous and that smile of yours shows that your spirits have not been dampened in the least!

10. June 7, 2012 / 4:36 pm

Strange how those unpredictable moments on a trip are sometimes the most memorable and fun. You both look so radiant and happy. So anxious to see the photos of Italy.

11. June 7, 2012 / 4:44 pm

You saw a rainbow!!! That must be more than just compensation for the wet skirt and shoes :-). Your photos look great – you are really glowing in them!! Looking forward to more vacation posts!!

12. June 7, 2012 / 4:52 pm

@lovesjetlag Yes, Italy is next – next week. I need to spend some time going through them all. There are SO many!
    Then back to Switzerland for the Alps, cows and pasture of wild flowers. I think this may keep me busy the rest of June!

13. June 7, 2012 / 4:54 pm

@chouette22 How weird is that?? What are the chances?
    Did you also have hail? that is what really surprised me. It had been rather warm out before the storm. Weather sure changes quickly in Switzerland. We need to be better prepared next time.

14. June 7, 2012 / 4:56 pm

@[email protected] We get hail around here, too, once in a while. It does look like snow once it accumulates on the ground.
    The water is crystal clear. And the river is surprisingly shallow.

15. June 7, 2012 / 4:58 pm

@Our French Inspired Home It was really fun to be in the storm. I didn’t care one bit that my shoes were soggy and my shirt drenched. It was a great memory and the rainbow certainly added to it all.
    I brought one of my favorite umbrellas with me on the trip. Had I brought it along that day, it may have gotten damaged with all the wind, rain and hail. So maybe it’s best I forgot it, for more than one reason!

16. June 7, 2012 / 4:59 pm

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) Those hills were not much compared to San Francisco. Those hills are killer!

The swans were so sweet the way they were interacting. It was really something.

17. June 7, 2012 / 5:00 pm

@Rebekah Bonde Not only did it not ruin the day, it made it even better! I look back on that day and find it hard to believe we only spent about 7 waking hours in Zurich. We did and saw so much.

18. June 7, 2012 / 5:06 pm

@kathy peck I will be posting about Italy next week. I have lots of photos to go through and stories to write. I will be busy with this the rest of the month!

19. June 7, 2012 / 5:07 pm

@beingFab The rainbow was just gorgeous. It looks pretty in the photos, but it was much better in person.
    I am glad you are enjoying the vacation posts!

20. June 7, 2012 / 5:36 pm

This weather just made Zurich seem even more thrilling. My grandson who is looking over my shoulder as I type would like to play the chess game in the park. Beautiful rainbow.

21. June 8, 2012 / 4:01 am

Wet shoes and a great smile? My kind of girl. I adore Zürich. Such a quaint city. Glad you are enjoying all that the city has on offer ( including the rain ).
    XX

22. June 8, 2012 / 8:40 am

Grrr…I lost my comment!

I love the swan video…I also loved the sheep pic you previously posted last week. Adorable!

Lucky for you the rainstorm didn’t last long. It does hail here on occasion, the biggest I have seen was a couple years ago. The size of small marbles.

23. June 8, 2012 / 1:50 pm

@Terri Oh, that is so cute! It really is such lovely park. If I lived there, I think I would visit everyday.

24. June 8, 2012 / 1:53 pm

@Fashion art and other fancies I would rather have wet shoes than a blister any day. It was fun, and exciting and I thought if my ballerinas get ruined, I’ll just have to buy another pair because that experience was worth the price of a pair of shoes.
    I do love Zurich. It reminds me a little of San Francisco – such colorful and diverse people. I wasn’t really expecting that. I hope to go back again sometime to see more of it.

25. June 8, 2012 / 1:55 pm

@LRS4AMANDA We saw lots of cute animals on our vacation…sheep, cows, cats, swans, cute birds, dogs.

We get hail here, too. Like you, it doesn’t last long. I thought this one wouldn’t stop! It was a good four minutes (I videoed the storm, too but I didn’t post it because it’s too long, and because I sound like an idiot saying “oh my god” over and over again).

26. June 12, 2012 / 10:05 am

Zurich looks so beautiful! I love how you wandered around all over. That’s my favorite thing to do! Your story reminds me of the last time we were in Florence in July. We got caught in a hailstorm too and it was so funny everyone flees into every little crevice to escape. I spent a lot of days walking in soggy shoes too, but it was worth it.

Thanks for sharing all your lovely photos.
    Kim