Half-year resolutions

Half-year resolutions

For the last couple of months, I have been in transition; an inner transition that I find challenging to describe. There is an absence of the contentment I once had and a feeling of uneasiness that isn’t dramatic or too concerning, simply a sense that it’s time to make some changes in my life. These changes are mostly minor. I don’t think I need a life overhaul. Just a few tweaks here and there.

Today is July 1st and marks the beginning of the last half of 2012. I think it’s an ideal time to create a list of resolutions. Resolutions that I believe will help me through this, uh, interesting stage in my life.

I have written out each resolution and after it, in italics, my plan for that resolution.

Eleven things I would like to work on between now and the beginning of 2013 are:

1) Exercise. This one is always on my resolution list, always on my weekly and daily lists of things to do and always on my mind. Why a former personal trainer and former lover of exercise has such a hard time exercising regularly is a mystery to me. My goal each week is to exercise four days a week for a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio plus weight bearing exercises. Tori has agreed to go for walk/runs with me in our local park twice a week. The rest is up to me.

2) See friends more often. Take the first step and invite friends out. Get dates on the calendar. Ideally, I would like to spend time with two friends each week.

3) Read, read, read. I used to be a big reader until I started blogging. In fact, my very first post was a book review. Once I find a book I can’t get my face out of, I’m good. It’s finding that book that’s the hard part. I bought a new book last week that I read about online. Gone Girl is recommended by one of my favorite female celebrities, Gwyneth Paltrow, on her blog GOOP. So far, it’s a winner. By the way, book recommendations from my wonderful readers are encouraged.

4) Entertain in our home. Our old carpet and couches that double as the cat’s clawing post keep me from having anyone but family and very close friends over. And that’s just silly. I am starting slow with this one. One dinner party or barbecue per month minimum.

5) Get and keep the house decluttered and organized. I’m pretty sure this will be on my resolution list for the rest of my life. Clean up or clean out something each day. It can be as small as a single drawer or as big as the garage.

6) Have a weeknight date with my husband a couple times a month. Go see a movie, go out to dinner, go for an evening hike – just the two of us. I am already planning a date for this week. I’m thinking about taking him to see Magic Mike. It’s about firefighters, right?

7) Buy flowers for the house on a regular basis. Such an easy way to brighten up the house and my mood And this time of year, the choices are many and the prices are low. I bought these peonies for just $5.00 last week.

8) Find a way to like cooking again. I used to enjoy it…what happened? I am relying on Pinterest for this one. There are lots of great recipes I’ve pinned on my recipe board that make me somewhat excited to cook. Crossing fingers that this helps.

9) Stop being a chicken. I have fears of varying degrees of flying, elevators, heights, spiders and most enclosed places. I have already begun  changing this one. On our recent trip, I successfully flew 12 hours each way without freaking out, rode elevators (some of them sketchy and small) and took gondolas and trams over cavernous mountains in the Alps. Now I just need to continue my fearless attitude. But I am pretty sure the spider fear will never go away.

10) Learn to always speak my truth, even when it’s hard.  Often, I agree to do something I don’t genuinely want to do because I don’t want to hurt someone’s feelings or disappoint them. Need to simply stop doing that.

11) Lose the guilt. All day long that little voice in my head tells me what I should, could and ought to be doing. And when it’s not doing that, it’s telling me how lazy I am for not doing those things. Or how self-indulgent I am for enjoying myself in a fun activity. It’s positively exhausting! Re-read this book and start telling my inner voice to bugger off.

Do you feel like you are in a transitional phase?

Do you have any half-year resolutions?

1. July 1, 2012 / 8:00 am

Good resolutions to keep at the second half of the year. I think you could stretch the reading to blogging though because you follow other blogs, or stories, day after day while hopefully getting something positive from doing so.

2. July 1, 2012 / 8:18 am

Wonderful goals, and remember to give yourself a break too, you deserve it! It’s great that you’re making exercise enjoyable, I think that’s the only way to make it a life-habit. Thanks for sharing your goals.

3. July 1, 2012 / 8:19 am

Good goals! The one about speaking the truth resonated with me as my inner voice always tells me I should always try to get along. But I see amazing women who speak the truth in a firm, but kind and polite way, and I need to model them.

I’m definitely in a transition period. My blog reflects it as I continue moving in a more thoughtful and serious direction. I typically make quarterly goals, but haven’t been consistent about it this year. This morning I wrote in my journal that I need to be more purposeful with my time. Reading your post has encouraged me to sit down and commit to concrete, achievable goals.

4. Anonymous
    July 1, 2012 / 8:48 am

Here are some authors and their books that I highly recommend:
    Lorna Landvik…Patty Jane’s House of Curl, Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons, and Welcome to the Great Mysterious.
    Fannie Flagg…Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man (LOVE THIS BOOK!)
    Harlan Coben…Tell No One (wonderful mystery)
    Joy Fielding…See Jane Run and Grand Avenue
    Lilly Winton…Good Grief (I cried through the entire first half of this book, but I love a book that makes you feel something )
    I could go on and on 😉 about good books, but ill stop here.
    Now, most of these books are “old”, but that was when I was doing the most reading.
    Happy reading! Cheryl

5. July 1, 2012 / 10:37 am

We must be operating on the same wave length as I just posted my half year goals today too. Yours are great – I need to do the time with friends and having people over ones too. We have gotten out of the habit and it is a habit that is hard to change. Good luck on yours.

6. July 1, 2012 / 11:47 am

Adrienne, I’m not sure where you are spiritually so I’m going out on a limb here, but here goes. I find (for me) that when discontent starts to creep in, instead of struggling to identify everything I can do better in my life,I instead take a step back and begin to evaluate everything in my life that I am thankful for. It’s the old fashioned discipline of keeping a gratitude journal, of opening my eyes to the beauty all around me, even in things that don’t seem beautiful on the surface. The best book I can recommend to help with something like this is Ann Voskamp’s Thousand Gifts. There is even an iPhone app (free)called Thousand Gifts to use to begin counting your blessings. For example, I appreciate that you have a goal to exercise (me too!) so go for it…but be grateful for the strong and healthy body you have, right now–today. Bless you for your generosity in sharing your goals…I am grateful for you and your blog!
    Blessings, Lina

7. July 1, 2012 / 12:28 pm

Hi

Great resolutions. I am right there with you on exercise. Let’s encourage each other. So far, I’m five days out of seven for the week, we just had. It’s helped that the kids are out of school, and I”m not rushing out the door in the am.

Leigh

8. July 1, 2012 / 1:52 pm

Adrienne, all of these have been on my goals list at one time or another…just take one day at a time, and see what you can do just for today! What will bring you joy and contentment just for today?? I mentioned you in my post today…thank you for being there!! (Also, I talked about FEAR)

9. July 1, 2012 / 2:11 pm

You’re so much more organised than I’ll ever be Adrienne! I always hear that little voice as well,so annoying. I also need to take more exercise and cut back on the cocktails. Ha,I can just imagine Bill’s face after 5 minutes of Magic Mike!

10. July 1, 2012 / 2:50 pm

You know, I have never heard of half-year resolutions before, but I love this concept.

Twitter: @GlamKitten88

11. July 1, 2012 / 3:55 pm

Yes, a very transitional time in my life, including moving homes on Tuesday! The first half of this year turned my life upside-down in many ways, and it’s time to right it. Your list is terrific – I too have sort of given up entertaining more than family and really want to get back to it, in a low key and casual way that doesn’t make me feel stressed and that I have to cook like Nigella Lawson. Because so of these “first half of the year changes have been positive and exciting, albeit time-consuming”, I want to just accept that with gratitude and stop beating myself up over stuff I don’t have time for at the moment. I will again, and that’s fine. Very inspirational post A. xo

12. July 1, 2012 / 4:28 pm

I think it’s great to have half year resolutions…to renew the old ones or develop new ones.

I have always said I was going to entertain in my home….it was a big reason we built our home…but we get caught up in daily living….that we don’t.

I may draw my own half year resolutions…

Thanks for the inspiration!

“Dangerous Curves”

13. July 1, 2012 / 4:48 pm

Why is it that all your resolutions happened to be mine too? Every single one of them! Even the one about buying flowers for the house regularly. I think we should be friends. lol.

14. July 1, 2012 / 5:49 pm

good list adrienne.

the main thing i always try to do is be honest. brutally honest sometimes is hard for people but it is the only thing that works for me. if i try to sugar coat things it never comes out right. aren’t you glad you don’t live with me?!

15. July 1, 2012 / 6:24 pm

I love your resolutions. I for one have given up on making resolutions because i always manage to break them every.single.time.

But 2 things from yours jumps out as it would be the same for me if i ever had to make one: exercise more and fall in love with cooking again

xo Stephanie

16. July 1, 2012 / 6:29 pm

What a fabulous idea!! ~ I love your list. Sounds like you are moving towards a simple way of living – more time with friends, family and doing things that really matter to you. Kick those little negative voices to the curb and replace them with positive thoughts.

I am definitely in a transitional phase … and reconnecting with life, friends, family is on the top of my list ~ as is eating healthier and getting fit.

Wishing you a fabulous week-end..xo HHL

P.S. Sent you a response on your question about over supportive friends.xo

17. Andrea
    July 1, 2012 / 7:12 pm

What great goals, Adrienne. Thank you! I need to adopt a few of these myself: decluttering my home, taming the beast that is my inner self-critical voice, and implementing a practical excercise plan. Well, actually, I could benefit from adopting ALL of these, but I will start with just a few for now and work my way up. 🙂 Recently, I had the epiphony that if guests to my home are going to judge me for the peanut butter and jelly smears on my furniture and fingerprints on the windows then they are not the kind of friends I want over in the first place. 🙂

Hugs to you,
    Andrea

18. Clare
    July 1, 2012 / 7:38 pm

such a great post adrienne! you know so many things on the list i could have written, especially not entertaining because i dont feel “up to par”, being a fricken chicken, and not seeing friends enough! and you are one of those friends! thank you for writing this!

19. July 1, 2012 / 7:55 pm

Re books, well, I recommend Jane Austen to everyone! Gwyn Paltrow starred in the movie “Emma” so you may enjoy escaping into a DVD of it if you haven’t already. Staying in the moment is key for me during what may feel like a transitional time. I’ve learned from following your blog for quite some time that once you make up your mind to accomplish something you succeed! With style and grace.

20. July 1, 2012 / 9:30 pm

Very sensible and do-able resolutions, Adrienne!! Except maybe the entertaining one, that could take some effort :-). The decluttering thing is on my list too!!

21. July 1, 2012 / 9:55 pm

Love it Adrienne! I have some changes coming up too. My beautiful father in law passed away last week and my mother in law is in hospital waiting for a place in a nursing home. Sme hard times just gone and ahead. I am now faced with housing all their belongings in my already full home, so am totally with you on the decluttering. I’ m not sure how I am going to do this. I actually asked hubby when the extension is being built for the museum he wants for their antiques, lol. I will have a new title soon. Curator.

I have old carpet too, but it scrubs up pretty well, and have thought of ripping it and the old Lino in the kitchen up and painting the floors until I get an alternative in place. And we have broken tatty chairs too! I love to do the entertaining bit usually 2 times a week we will have neighbours and friends over, but I stick to easy food that can be organised beforehand. Just remember- people are more interested in the welcome you give at the door and your company, than the state of your house! It is usually only us that have the problem with the state of our homes.

One of my friends actually says that she loves coming to my house, cause I make her feel normal about the mess from the kids in hers! I don’t care what her house looks like, the door is always open to my kids and I and she always has plenty of good coffee and great yarns to share. We try to put our time into happy kids and relationships rather than magazine photo ready houses! Still, sometimes I don’t want people to see my home unless it is spotless.

I always say what I think, especially at work. I know that I have a valued opinion and will often put forward the other side of an argument, even if it is not my own, just so the weaker people have a voice. Even with my husband if I tell him something he doesn’t like to hear, I say -you would rather know how I feel about it rather than me keeping it all bottled up, right?

Ah, the guilt bit, but we only get so many hours in the day, and it is best to do the things we want to do first rather than the nasty chores we have to do, that way the bad ones don’t seem as bad when we have been satisfied.

I think your plan sounds bloody good!

22. July 1, 2012 / 10:01 pm

Oh yeah! This Librarian rarely reads anything but book reviews- for work, instruction manuals and blogs anymore! P.S. It all counts, whatever floats your boat and gives you a nice, pleasurable, relaxing time!

23. July 2, 2012 / 4:03 am

Great list of goals. I could completely relate to the reading one. I am making myself spend less time on the computer and more time with books. It is harder for me to both find books I love and to concentrate on them. I used to read a book a week no problem.

We also have the same goal of trying to entertain at least once a month. And I have been making an effort to get with girlfriends more often too (just saw a play yesterday with one!).

As for speaking “your truth”…once you start doing so, it gets easier and easier to do.

24. July 2, 2012 / 6:28 am

I had never considered doing a mid-year resolution list, but what an inspiring concept! I love that so many of yours are achieveable – you’ve set goals that will take thoughtful effort, but they’re still reasonable ones you can meet. I’ve deprecated “should” and “ought to” and “need to” from my vocabulary as much as possible, replacing them most often with a positive, high-quality “could”. As an acquaintance of mine says, if you don’t watch out, pretty soon you’re “shoulding” all over yourself!

My goal has been to tone up and slim down – 5’10”, 194 lbs. and size 14/16 just wasn’t doing it for me. I’ve lost about 14 lbs. (down to size 11/12) in the past two months just through dietary changes (mostly removing dairy, beef, poultry meat, and heavily processing soy) and I feel like I can be proud of that instead of letting my guilty voice say, “It would have been more if you’d been exercising more, too!” Soon, I will incorporate exercise soon. 😉

25. July 2, 2012 / 6:34 am

Oh yeah – Books!

I’ve gotten sucked (har, har) into the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, books again. There are twenty-odd books in the series and I’ve made my way through them haphazardly, totally out of order, mostly via audiobook from the library (the reader, Kimberly Alexis, is… very good). I’ve been a vamp-lit-loving girl since circa 1985 (or earlier?), so this isn’t a Twilight-driven obsession. They may not be your cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoy the escapism and fantasy.

26. July 2, 2012 / 6:51 am

@Our French Inspired Home You’re right! I guess I don’t consider reading blogs reading. But I should!
    I suppose I miss that feeling of not being to put a book down, looking forward all day to reading it at night and being sad when I finish it. You know that feeling?
    So far I like the book I am reading but I am not crazy about it – yet.

27. July 2, 2012 / 7:01 am

@Patti I try to make exercise enjoyable – but sometimes I think I will never again love it like I once did. My main reason for wanting to exercise more is to help with me my crazy hormones. I need all that wonderful serotonin to keep me from biting someone’s head off!! So that’s what keeps me motivated with exercise – whether I enjoy it or not, I know I will have a better outlook if I just do it.

28. July 2, 2012 / 7:13 am

@Cherie I wonder why it’s so hard for some of us to stand in our truth. There is so much fear around not being accepted or being told we aren’t “nice” if we say what we really feel.
    This comes up mostly because I have had three people in my life in the last month who have crossed my boundaries in different ways. I waffled between speaking my mind about it and letting it go. I opted for speaking my mind for a change and am so glad I did. One person still needs to be addressed more fully, but in time, it will happen.

As far as blogging goes, if you go back and read posts from the beginning you will see how much you’ve evolved. What was on my radar in July 2010 is far, far different from where I am now. Neither place – then or now – is better than the other, just different. We are always changing and transitioning. The beauty of having a blog is we have a record of it.

29. July 2, 2012 / 7:17 am

@Anonymous Thank you, Cheryl! How kind of you to send me a list of your favorites. Old books that stand the test of time – that’s what I need to read.

I am off to look these books up online. Thank you again!

30. July 2, 2012 / 7:30 am

@Juhli Why is it so hard to have people over? I supposed it’s the amount of work one must put in in order to get ready for guests. The trick is to make it less of a chore to prepare for guests…keep the house clean all the time (not easy, but easier if a little is done everyday) and make a menu that is simple to prepare.
    I am going to invite some guests this week for a dinner party later in the month. I will have to keep my own advice in mind when I do!

31. July 2, 2012 / 7:32 am

@Old Married Lady Thank you, Lina. That is a wonderful idea. I do need to focus on the blessings in my life. That is sort of what Positively Friday was for, but that was geared more toward events and happenings in the week rather than simple gratitude for my health and my family, for example.
    I will look into that book and app. Thank you again – so glad you decided to write that comment! xo

32. July 2, 2012 / 7:34 am

@Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) Yes, let’s encourage one another. I have no more excuses – work hasn’t been calling me in, I am only seeing one client per week and the weather is ideal for walks, hikes and runs.
    Good for you for 5 out of 7 days! I’ll be thrilled if I can get four in per week. Usually it’s one or two.

33. July 2, 2012 / 9:17 am

I’m getting back into exercise, even though I feel like I never have time. And I am also putting down the magazines and reaching again for books. I am reading ‘Coco Chanel: An Intimate Life’ by Lisa Chaney and really getting into it. Love your peonies, they are my favorite flowers, and I’m with you re flying and elevators. I have been stuck in one too many NYC elevators all over Manhattan to ever feel really comfortable on one again. It’s a good thing I live in a walk-up! Tell me if you see Magic Mike. I was thinking of going too, it looks hilarious and fun. I wish we lived down the street so we could hang out and motivate each other! XO, Jill

34. July 2, 2012 / 11:29 am

Hi Adrienne,

That is quite a list you have there!

Definitely #2, seeing friends more. With all this change and chaos in our lives right now, I am craving more social time. I got together with one friend last week that I hadn’t seen in 6 months and emailed another to meet for happy hour in a few weeks. A couple of my neighbors like to meet up for coffee at their houses on occasion which I really enjoy.

I try to read when going to bed but doze off in 5 min. So I prefer to grab my coffee upon rising and head back to bed for 20 min. or so. I’ve made it a ritual because it seems to be the one time around here that it is peaceful. It’s one thing I can’t seem to give up!

35. July 2, 2012 / 11:30 am

P.S. My sister used to have a note on her refrigerator that said “don’t feel guilty”!

36. July 2, 2012 / 4:53 pm

These are some great resolutions and very inspiring. Although I don’t think you want to see Magic Mike with your husband! : ) My husband and I have been saying the same thing about mid-week dates, it is nice to put a little spark in the week and not always be waiting for the weekends. Look forward to hearing how they go!

37. July 2, 2012 / 5:01 pm

And might I add that I too think you should consider your blog reading “reading” because those of us (aka me) who don’t get a lot of blog comments really appreciate the people like you who take the time to comment often and make us feel like someone out there is actually reading. So just know that the time you take to read my blog and leave a comment means a lot! : )

38. July 2, 2012 / 5:22 pm

@Pam @ over50feeling40 That is a great way to look at things, Pam. One day at a time. Although I did not exercise like I had planned today, I did a lot of things for other people and I read my new book without guilt! Tomorrow I work out. That is my #1 priority on that list – exercise is so important to our physical, mental and emotional well-being.

Thank you for the mention on your blog and happy 2 year anniversary on your wonderful blog. Big hugs, A

39. July 2, 2012 / 5:27 pm

@Sulky Kitten Cutting back on wine – always on my list, too. I am fine when I am not socializing. Then I lose track because I am always having too much fun to care!
    Bill and I joked about seeing Magic Mike together- he said he really would go with me but I don’t think he would enjoy himself very much. Would probably walk out after the first scene.

40. July 2, 2012 / 5:28 pm

@Bonnie I hadn’t either. Not really sure how it came to me. I had this desire to make a new list of things I want to change, of goals, and it just happened to coincide with the mid-point of the year.
    Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

41. July 2, 2012 / 5:37 pm

@kathy peck What a great way to articulate what I, too, am feeling. Let’s agree today to stop beating each other up.
    Best wishes with the move. I know you are going to be so relieved once you are settled in your new home. Then you can start entertaining again – simply without stress (impossible, I know but maybe less stress?)
    xoxo

42. July 2, 2012 / 5:38 pm

@Lisa Well, I am a bit relieved to hear that I am not the only one who doesn’t entertain enough.
    I have yet to extend an invite for dinner in our home this month. I really need to get going on that. The clock moves too quickly!

43. July 2, 2012 / 5:39 pm

@MisSmall Well isn’t that something?? How funny that our lists are so similar. Thank you for stopping by!

44. July 2, 2012 / 5:42 pm

@the gardener’s cottage It’s hard for me to be truly honest with someone – I don’t mean in terms of lie telling. Telling lies aren’t my thing – too hard to keep up with them. Honesty about one’s feelings and thoughts.
    I suppose it requires practice and a bit of risk taking. At least I am more mindful of speaking my truth. That is a start.
    And I am sure you are a pleasure to live with, Janet. No surprises, no games…just your wonderful, and real self.

45. July 2, 2012 / 5:49 pm

@Stephanie I mostly break my resolutions, too. That’s why, for the most part, they are sort of fun resolutions. When I put things like “Lose 10 pounds” or “Save X dollars by X time” it never, ever takes.

Cooking is easier when the kitchen is well stocked and I have great recipes that don’t require too much labor. It also helps to grill meats because then I can get Bill involved!

Hope you are well, Stephanie! I haven’t heard from you in a while – I know you’ve been SO busy with school.

46. Sophie
    July 2, 2012 / 8:07 pm

Love this post as I feel I can relate. A book that I have read that has really helped me make some positive changes to my life over the past few weeks is called “spontaneous happiness” from amazon. Truly recommend it.

47. July 2, 2012 / 9:05 pm

@High Heeled Life Simplifying life is a goal of mine always. BUt lately it seems more pressing. As if I have been pulled in too many directions. Paring down responsibilities and not taking on too much seems to really help ease the stress.
    I hope to hear back from you regarding my comment the other day.
    Hope you are doing well through your transition.
    I think of you often.
    xo, A

48. July 2, 2012 / 9:09 pm

@Andrea Good point about the PBJ prints. Our house is presentable, just well-lived in. I would hope that none of our friends would really care that much that our carpets are old and the couches are shredded. I don’t really notice things like that when I am at others’ homes.
    Exercise. Sigh. An ongoing challenge for me. I need to adopt the saying form Nike of “Just do it!”

49. July 2, 2012 / 9:10 pm

@Clare It’s been far too long that we’ve hung out. Expect a text or phone call from me zoo getting something on the calendar. Barbecue at our house??

50. July 2, 2012 / 9:13 pm

@Thyme2BeYou are so sweet to say that! Thank you!
    I love “Emma” and Jane Austen books, too. I have one on my iPad that I never finished. Thank you for the reminder.
    I have “Country Strong” coming tomorrow in the mail. I know it’s not supposed to be such a great movie, but GP is in it so I can at least enjoy seeing her do her thing!

51. July 2, 2012 / 9:15 pm

@beingFab Yes, the entertaining thing is a challenge. Especially with four dogs!
    Decluttering is something I feel like I am always doing. But I keep decluttering the same areas over and over again. I need to tackle the stuff I have been avoiding one go these days when I have lots of energy.

52. July 2, 2012 / 9:19 pm

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) Jodie, you are going through so much right now! So very sorry to hear about your father-in-law and your mother-in-law. Challenging times ahead for you all.

Love the curator title… hope you won’t have to be in charge of all the belongings!

Our carpet cleans up nicely. We have it cleaned every 2 or 3 months. With 4 dogs and a cat, it makes no sense to replace the carpet. Inevitably, one of them has an accident of some kind right after we have our carpets cleaned.

I would rather go to someone’s home that is lived in – not dirty but not perfect either. It’s more comfortable that way.

Speaking my mind is not always easy for me but I am getting somewhat better about it. It’s an exercise that needs and takes practice.

Hugs to you, my friend.
    A

53. July 2, 2012 / 9:21 pm

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) You are a librarian? I never knew!
    I miss a good novel that I can get lost in. I do read everyday – blogs, articles – but a good book is what I am missing.

54. July 2, 2012 / 9:23 pm

@steppingmywaytobliss Why are great books so hard to locate? I know they are out there…it’s just finding one that I really want to spend the time on that’s the challenge.

I am practicing speaking my truth when the occasion arises. It’s a muscle that needs to be exercised.

xo, A

55. July 3, 2012 / 3:47 am

I think the hardest goal for me is bringing people into the home for dinner – not because I don’t enjoy entertaining or am daunted by cooking for others. More because we always default to meeting at a restaurant. This is a good reminder that it’s easier to eat better at home, it’s less expensive, and the conversation is usually better without waitstaff hovering.

Although you should be gentle with yourself in attaining your goals, I’m a believer in also pushing yourself, too. I try to do something everyday towards my list of resolutions (within reason), or at least don’t engage in activities that thwart my goals.

56. July 3, 2012 / 6:27 am

Love the half-year check up on resolutions. What a good idea. If Bill doesn’t want to see Magic Mike, I’ll see it with you : ) For the first time in my life I found an exercise that I love to do, cycling. Yes, even in this hot desert in the summer. Finally something I love to do that is good for me. We never entertain for some of the same reasons you listed. I hope to change that too.

57. July 4, 2012 / 5:50 am

@Michelle Roebuck I love that…”shoulding” all over yourself. That is what I have been doing for ages! And I have had enough. This week, I was very mindful of it. Each time it popped into my mind, I shooed it away and it worked!

That is so great about your weight loss!! I am very happy for you. Slow and steady gets the job done. It’s taken me years – over 2 years – to get where I am. I think that is they key to keeping it off: little by little making small lifestyle changes.

58. July 4, 2012 / 5:52 am

@Michelle Roebuck I have never been one for fantastical books. I like novels that are based on real life situations. However, I am always open to new things. Next time I am at the used paperback bookstore, I will look for Vampire Hunter books. A little escapism wouldn’t hurt! Thank you for the suggestions, Michelle! It’s very much appreciated.

59. July 4, 2012 / 6:01 am

@jill815 I would love to see Magic Mike with you – or any movie! I also wish we lived nearby. Someday we will meet…I just know it.

The peonies are looking gorgeous. I bought some for my senior friend (who turns 100 next month). I saw them several days later and they opened up beautifully…really look almost fake they are so perfect. Mine look lovely too but not as pretty as hers.

This week has been great so far in terms of sticking to my resolutions. I went for a long walk yesterday, read my new book for a few hours (it’s very, very good) and I cooked up a storm yesterday! I hope my momentum lasts for a while. Blogging about it helps keep me on track.

What sort of exercise do you do? I imagine you get plenty of walking in living in NYC, yes?

60. July 4, 2012 / 6:05 am

@LRS4AMANDA It’s so important to spend time with girlfriends. But so easy to let time tick by without seeing them. That’s great that you’re getting get togethers on the calendar.

I usually fall asleep reading, too. Yesterday, I was reading on my iPad and I kept dozing off (that’s my new thing – I get really exhausted everyday around 3 p.m.Is this another hormonal thing?) The iPad would fall on me and wake me up. I swear I feel like I am 84 not 44 sometimes!

61. July 4, 2012 / 6:06 am

@LRS4AMANDA That’s smart…maybe I should do the same thing on my bedroom mirror. It’s surprising how many times a day I catch myself “shoulding” or generally feeling guilty about something I am doing or not doing. It’s so very annoying!

62. July 4, 2012 / 6:11 am

@lowcarbhighstyle I think seeing Magic Mike together would be uncomfortable for both of us. So we’ll skip it. We rarely go to the movies because our tastes are so different, we can never agree!

Mid-week outings – whether it’s dinner out (did that on Sunday night) or a long walk before the sun goes down – is a great way to break up the week. We are very susceptible to ruts and routines around here!

63. July 4, 2012 / 6:14 am

@lowcarbhighstyle Thank you, Amy. You are always so great about leaving a comment for me too. And I so appreciate that.

Reading blogs is reading – no doubt. But I do miss reading a story, a book in a traditional sense. I am reading the book I mentioned in this post and it’s VERY good.

64. July 4, 2012 / 6:16 am

@Sophie I read your comment a couple of days ago and checked out the book you recommended. It has outstanding reviews on Amazon. I think I am going to buy it for my ereader. It looks like something I would get a lot out of!

Thank you!

65. July 4, 2012 / 9:00 am

@Michelle Roebuck Okay, Michelle..you convinced me to try “Vampire Hunters” . I ordered it at the library and am only #2 on the waiting list.
    I’ll let you know!

66. Jenny
    July 4, 2012 / 10:41 am

I’m reading “The Happiness Project” right now and have been pleasantly surprised by how much I’m enjoying it! So there’s a book recommendation for you!

67. July 5, 2012 / 12:10 pm

I have never made resolutions…. only promises to myself, and never promises that are impossible to keep. :-)))

68. July 6, 2012 / 9:28 am

Adreinne,
    This could be me. I need to print your list out. Truly, I have the same issues, fear, entertaining, guilt, speaking the truth, etc.

Love it. Thanks for this.

Kim