How I Wear My: Red, White and Blue

How I Wear My: Red, White and Blue
Welcome to the ninth “How I Wear My” post. This month, Jill of Everything Just So and I decided it’s all about the red, white and blue. We have those colors on our minds with Independence Day tomorrow, July 4th, and of course our French friends celebrate Bastille Day July 14th. In fact, plenty of countries around the world have flags also featuring red, white and blue. All patriotism aside, they are just wonderful colors for summer.
Jill pairs sequins and stripes for a chic blue and white look that would be appropriate any time of year. The white pants and watch make it ideal for summer.

Pam of Over 50 Feeling 40 is looking vibrant in her bright cobalt blouse and and red pants. She’s looking so patriotic!

Sacramento of Mis Papelicos is an expert pattern mixer as seen here with her retro beach print skirt and bold striped sweater.

Hang of POUM! La Mode shows us a lovely white summertime dress with just a touch of red.

Marina of Antares: Alpha Scorpii looks modern and sophisticated in stripes and bold red belt. Love the background on this photo, too.

Terri from Rags Against the Machine  shows off a classic, sporty and somewhat preppy look in her plaid red, white and blue skirt and cable knit sweater.

Carrie of Expressive Style knows how to look patriotic and ever so cool at the same time.

Amy from LowcarbHighstyle has a fresh, crisp red,white and blue look. The white blouse with white jeans really works on Amy.

Tamera of Tamera Beardsley is looking as glamourous as always in red, white and blue with stripes. Her accessories, from her headband to her great bag, work so well together.

Jenn of Girl Defying Gravity is so stylish and on trend in a navy blue maxi and red cardigan. I love the idea of a cardigan tied at the waist. I may have to steal that idea from you, Jenn.

Finally, I am wearing blue and white on a weekend getaway to San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. I bought the nautical, striped, boatneck top in Portovenere, Italy last month. I wore it with white bootcut jeans and accessorized with navy wedges, cognac bag, cognac belt and a few leather bracelets.

A big thank you to all the participants in this month’s post. There are so many beautiful women and unique looks!

Next month, we are going to have a little Chanel party. August 19 is the birthday of Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel, who gave the fashion world so many timeless wardrobe staples—the little black dress, the cardigan jacket, black and white worn together, quilted bags, loads of costume jewelry, ropes of pearls (real and faux), and two-tone cap-toe shoes, to name a few.

Even if you don’t have a stitch of Chanel in your closet—and really, who can afford it – Jill and I just know you can put together an outfit using some of Chanel’s ideas of classic feminine style. So please join us on August 1 for “How I Wear My: Chanel-Inspired Outfit” by sending us a photo of you in your Coco-inspired outfit. Coco would want you to!

1. July 3, 2012 / 5:07 am

Wow,I am really impressed by how many different looks got put together using those three colors. I think this is one of my favorites, up there with colorblocking! Everyone looks so good, I wish we could all get together in these outfits for the 4th of July. What a picture that would be! You are the best. I hope you and your family enjoy a fun holiday tomorrow. XO, Jill

2. July 3, 2012 / 5:58 am

Ms Papelicos looks fierce, i love it! And i love what you’re wearing, makes you look taller as well. Can you tell i’m jealous?

xo Stephanie

3. July 3, 2012 / 6:02 am

Your hair is so gorgeous…crowning glory!! This was more fun than I anticipated and I cannot wait for Chanel…what to do, what to do??
    Happy Fourth all!

4. July 3, 2012 / 6:23 am

@Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) Doesn’t Jenn look cute? She managed to look pretty darn sexy and she isn’t even showing any skin!

I love that bag, too. The only thing is it isn’t made that well. The leather is fantastic – smells wonderful and is soft – but the construction is terrible. It’s currently at the cobblers getting a once over. If I hadn’t bought it in Florence, I would return it and get my money back!

5. July 3, 2012 / 6:36 am

@jill815 You know, I think this may be my favorite How I Wear My, too! Of course, I always say that because they are all so great. I love seeing how other bloggers interpret a theme. Coco next month should be really fabulous. I am so excited about that post.

You and I could be twins in our navy blue striped tops and white bottoms. And we didn’t even plan it!
    xoxo

6. July 3, 2012 / 6:38 am

@Stephanie Oh boy…taller? Yikes! Just kidding. I know what you’re saying 🙂

Sacramento always looks fantastic – I love the fashion chances she takes. Isn’t her skirt something? So 60’s Italian Rivera.

I think you should join us one of these months, Stephanie. Show us your best Coco Chanel look!

7. July 3, 2012 / 6:47 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 I know! Me, too! I am already thinking about what to wear. Pearls? Chanel-esque jacket? Quilted bag? I will have to start looking around at the thrift shops…

Thank you for the kind comment about my hair. I recently got straight across bangs and am really regretting it. They are high maintenance, hot for these summer months and I don’t think they look that great on me. It was a whim that I won’t repeat. Now begins the annoying grow out…thank goodness for hair clips!

Thank you so much for participating. I really like your bright red, white and blue look.
    xoxo

8. July 3, 2012 / 7:42 am

Everyone looks fabulous! I love that idea for tying a cardigan as well. Thanks for hosting! I’m very excited for next month’s challenge as well!

9. July 3, 2012 / 8:20 am

Ohhh, love this post! I wore red, white & blue on Sunday, it wasn’t actually intentional, just kind of worked out that way. But it was fun! I love that color combination, even outside of the 4th!

I just don’t take as fun of pictures. Maybe one day I’ll get the nerve up to do so. =)
    <3 Jules

10. Anonymous
    July 3, 2012 / 9:19 am

Everyone’s looking so good! I love this post idea and always plan to participate but can’t seem to make the cut off! My goal is to get in on the next one! You looking amazing, Adrienne…and so slim! Trish

11. July 3, 2012 / 11:12 am

These are great colors for summer. I have equally been drawn to navy, white and coral. I just ordered a navy skirt to add to my capsule because I was shocked to realize I did have one piece of navy to work with. I think I used to and it got purged. Next month’s Chanel-fest sounds like fun!

12. July 3, 2012 / 12:36 pm

Great and varied collection you have assembled, Adrienne!I love, love Breton stripes for any occasion and they never fail to impress when paired with crisp white jeans. Happy 4th!

13. July 3, 2012 / 1:02 pm

All the looks are great! I especially Love your top, Tamara’s bag and Marina’s dress/belt combo. Pretty much obsessed with stripes right now! Thanks for including me 🙂

14. July 3, 2012 / 4:42 pm

I love that there are bloggers outside the states sporting this color combo today. And there are several in this group that are new to me. I’m glad to have a long time to prepare for Chanel day!

15. July 3, 2012 / 6:57 pm

Girl are you a hottie in your white jeans and stripes…or what!!! You my dear put sex appeal in an otherwise basic outfit! huge fashion Kudos to you Adrienne!

Thank you for including me in such a fun post! I am so inspired with all the different looks and can’t wait for the Chanel challenge!

16. July 3, 2012 / 11:21 pm

Wow! Everyone looks so wonderful and patriotic. Happy 4th to you!!

17. Anonymous
    July 4, 2012 / 1:52 am

Hi Adrienne. Love this post, can never go wrong with these colours and prints 🙂 I am still enjoying reading your blog everytime you post. Hope you find that special something to rejuvenate your inspiration. Well guess what ? I am flying to Paris today ! It was a surprise from my husband who is away on business. He’ll be meeting me and our baby there. I’ve left our other two children with family (my stomach is in knots over it). I’ve never travelled out of continent except to the D.R. 12 years ago for honeymoon. All to say….in order to pack a versatile wardrobe I chose all white, navy, gray, black, red and striped clothing ! This way anything could be interchanged and I will look classy in Paris!
    So excited
    Camille
    P.S. Tradition for canada day, July 1st, is red and white 😉

18. July 4, 2012 / 4:31 am

You look fabulous Adrienne. So do all the other ladies. That groovy granny in the background of Marina’s took my eye too.

I thought that your hair was different. The straight bangs will look good in the heat when the rest of your hair is up in a bun or clipped back or just in a pony, so maybe a blessing to do it in summer. Do you wear your hair up a lot in the hot weather? I do, I can’t stand it down when it’s hot, though now it is so short I can barely get it up any more. Happy fourth to you! Cheers, j

19. July 4, 2012 / 4:54 am

@lowcarbhighstyle Thank you for participating again this month. You look so stylish in your patriotic outfit. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for our Coco post next month.

Happy 4th and Happy 30th Birthday!!

20. July 4, 2012 / 4:56 am

@Jules Red, white and blue is a great combination. America, Britain, Australia and many other countries knew what they were doing when they picked those three colors 🙂
    I hope you will join us one of these months. Next month’s Coco Chanel post should be lots of fun!

21. July 4, 2012 / 5:02 am

@Anonymous Hi Trish – I need to be better about getting the word out about this so people have time to do their photos. Maybe it’s time to get a little logo box designed for How I Wear My so Jill and I can put it on our sidebar. Too bad my technical skills are so awful. I wouldn’t know where to begin doing such a thing!

I will do more reminders this month for the next post in the hopes that you will join us!

22. July 4, 2012 / 5:06 am

@steppingmywaytobliss Funny – I have lots and lots of navy in my closet but hardly any red. I can count my red belongings on one hand and that includes accessories. It’s never been a color that I am drawn to for some reason even though it’s supposed to be a good color on me.
    I like the navy, white and coral combination. I have a coral silk blouse that is waiting to be worn. Maybe a little navy and white is just what it needs!
    I hope you will join us next time for Chanel (hint, hint)!

23. July 4, 2012 / 5:09 am

@Patti A Breton top is so hard to find. They often have extra stuff like bows, or beading, or decal prints that I don’t want. When I saw this top in a little shop in Portovenere, I had to have it. My only complaint is that it is a little short in the waist.
    I hope you’ll participate one of these months. We would love to have you!

24. July 4, 2012 / 5:09 am

Everyone looks so great and festive. This 4th of July I’ll be wearing trash bags and cardboard boxes as we moved yesterday…
    Hope everyone has a great 4th! And I love your bangs A.

25. July 4, 2012 / 5:15 am

@Jenn Me, too! I love stripes lately. A few years ago, I wouldn’t get near them.
    Thank you for allowing me to use your pretty photo. I am trying that cardigan tie very soon. It looks so cute on you!

26. July 4, 2012 / 5:17 am

@Terri A couple of bloggers here were new to me, too. It was quite the international post which is interesting given the subject. Red, white and blue really is everywhere.
    Looking forward to your Chanel look next month! Thank you for participating. It’s much appreciated.

27. July 4, 2012 / 5:19 am

@Tamera Beardsley Thank you, Tamera. You are so kind!
    I think you always look so glamorous in your photos. Your look is very classic – you really could be in any modern decade and be in style.
    You bag and your glasses are fabulous, by the way. And I really love your backdrop – that is a great idea.
    Thank you for allowing me to use your photo. I hope you’ll join us next month!

28. July 4, 2012 / 5:32 am

@Anonymous Oh my gosh!!! That is SO, SO exciting, Camille! You will fall in love with Paris. It’s such a magical city. Take lots of pictures because you will want to look at them regularly when you return home.

29. July 4, 2012 / 5:39 am

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) When I got back from our trip, I got a haircut. For some unknown reason, I asked my hairstylist to cut my bangs straight across instead of off to the side. I immediately regretted it. Straight across bangs are high maintenance and I don’t think they look very good on me. So I am growing them out. I do like to wear my hair off my neck a lot when it’s warm out. My hair is very thick and heavy. I get hot under my bangs, too, which is rather annoying.
    It’s fun to try new things so I am not really that upset. But I won’t be trimming my bangs to stay this way – that is for sure!

30. July 4, 2012 / 5:42 am

@kathy peck You’re so funny..I bet you are up to your ears in packing material.
    As you know because I have whined to you several times about not liking my bangs, my bangs won’t be around long. I am growing them out. They are already at that unruly stage – pinned back all day yesterday. They do look cute sometimes – when I have a good fringe day – but usually they are a mess.
    I hope the unpacking goes well! I’ll be thinking of you.

31. July 4, 2012 / 12:16 pm

Happy 4th of July! You look gorgeous in your navy and white stripes : )

32. July 5, 2012 / 12:04 pm

Everyone looks great! Hope you had a great 4th. Thanks for letting me participate.

Carrie

33. July 6, 2012 / 12:12 am

Just found your blog through fashion for giants. Fab, how did I not find it before?

34. July 10, 2012 / 3:29 pm

Dearest Adrienne,

Don’t have much time to read blogs but via Google+ (where I follow you) got onto your blog and here I only can speak Dutch to you. You no doubt will understand me: ‘Lest Best’…

Got that? Last one is Best.
    Love to you,