Resolution stuff, maxi skirt and a recipe

The half-year resolutions I made for myself on July 1st are coming along swimmingly. I know it’s only been 5 days – hard to be too impressed – but I see that things are starting to change. Since Sunday, I:

~ Took two one-hour hikes this week and have another one with a friend on the books for Friday.  I may not make it to my goal of four times per week, but it’s better than my usual “zero” times.

~ Spoke my truth and said “no” to a minor July 4th event.

~ Cooked more than usual this week without being cranky about it. I discovered a great new-to-me marinade that has no sugar. I used it twice – once with chicken breasts and once with try-tip beef. And I created a new recipe (see below).

~ Decluttered spices, my underthings drawer and my Pinterest boards – a thorough virtual decluttering that was strangely satisfying.

~ Have not been “shoulding all over myself” as reader Michelle puts it (thank you, Michelle, having this line in my head not only helps me stop “shoulding” but it also makes me laugh every time I think of it).

~ Read lots this week. Gone Girl is cleverly written, and engaging. I am close to being done with it and that makes me sad!

~ Had a date night on Sunday. Bill and I dined at a local restaurant on their gorgeous outdoor patio. It was a lovely, lovely evening. Going out gave me a chance to wear a new maxi skirt I purchased at a TART outlet for $25.00 last weekend.

It’s a great vibrant color. It’s not fuchsia – too purply. And it’s not magenta – not purply enough. I think it’s closest to Pantone’s Lilac Rose. What do you think?

I added a turquoise colored multi-strand necklace, a black Banana Republic T-shirt (my favorite T-shirt ever), thrifted denim jacket and Jackie Ohh Ray-Bans. I carried the Longchamp Pilage I bought in Lucerne. I love that bag but it’s hard to find things in it; like a tote bag version of a black hole.

July 4th, we attended a barbecue here in Kenwood. I was not in a social mood at all (thanks, peri-menopausal hormones) but once I got there and saw my girlfriends, my anti-social mood quickly disappeared. Thank goodness for girlfriends. What would I do without them?

The barbecue was a potluck. I debated for days over what to bring. It needed to be something low-carb that I could eat and something that wouldn’t get weird in warm weather.

I surprised myself by coming up with a brand new recipe for a salad. Really, I did not consult cookbooks or the internet or anything! This does not happen to me very often.

Here is the recipe*, enough for a big crowd. Divide for a smaller batch.

2 medium sized heads of cauliflower cut into small florets
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/2 cup diced salami
1/2 cup monterey jack – cut into very small cubes
1-15 ounce can of artichoke hearts packed in water, cut into bite sized pieces
1-15 ounce can of black olives, sliced
1/2 cup diced pepperoncinis – seed them if you don’t want your salad spicy
About a 1/4 to 1/2 cup Newman’s Own Family Recipe Italian salad dressing

Place the florets in a microwave safe dish and cover with cling wrap. No need to add water since you just washed them. Microwave until fork tender. This took my microwave about 4 minutes. I cooked the florets in two batches for a uniform doneness. Make sure you don’t over cook the cauliflower or it will get mushy. It should still be a little firm but not raw.

Once the florets are cooked, dump them onto a couple of paper towels to absorb moisture. I usually cover them with another paper towel, then let them sit for half an hour or more.

When the florets have dried, place them in a bowl and refrigerate.

Meanwhile, cut up your salami, vegetables, and cheese and set aside.

About an hour or two before serving, add all ingredients, except the salad dressing to the florets. Mix together well. At this point, decide if you want to add more of something. Does it need more cheese? Maybe another few cherry tomatoes? Tailor it to your tastes.

Now it’s time to add the salad dressing. I don’t have an accurate measurement for you. Add a little at a time – maybe 1/4 cup to start out with. You don’t want to over do it because it will get too soupy.

Stir well and cover. Place in the refrigerator. Stir again before serving.

1. July 5, 2012 / 1:49 pm

You look fabulous in that skirt! I *highly* recommend these inserts for bags like the Pliage without any interior organization:

Recipe looks yummy, am adding to my list of new dishes to try!

2. July 5, 2012 / 2:37 pm

You always look stunning, A. I am so in love with that necklace, its not even funny.

So. Artichokes are a pretty Roman thing so the next time I make this Im going to say “Im making Adriennes ‘Roma ensalata di Carciofa'” which I think directly translates to Roman Artichoke salad. Im sure I will be corrected, but it sounds good to me!

3. July 5, 2012 / 2:52 pm

Love the vivid pink!!!
    Books — Check out “Room” or, for non-fiction, “The Psychopath Test.” Good stuff. Salad — Sounds like antipasto in a bowl so…Ensalata Antipasti?
    Annemarie

4. July 5, 2012 / 2:58 pm

Love your new skirt – the color is amazing, and the necklace looks so stunning with it! Hooray for you meeting your new goals, and esp having date night with your husband. Nothing beats quality time with one’s sweetie : >

5. July 5, 2012 / 3:20 pm

@déjà pseu I checked out that link and think I will order one of those inserts. It will make like so much easier! Digging around and around for something when you really need to get to it is beyond frustrating.
    thank you for the suggestion!

6. July 5, 2012 / 3:35 pm

You look stunning and slim in that skirt!
    Congratulations on making those desired changes. I find it’s easy to come up with the ideas but a lot tougher to stick with them….
    “one day at a time.”

I am not good with names but that salad says “healthy” to me.

7. July 5, 2012 / 3:46 pm

@Miss T You know that necklace was pretty inexpensive – see if they ship to Oz. The link is on the post I referenced above. It would look great on you with your blonde bombshell looks.

Thank you for the creative name! For sure the name will have an Italian flair or be in Italian.

Next time I am doubling the artichokes – they really make the salad.

8. July 5, 2012 / 3:58 pm

@Ercuan I am going to read the reviews on those books – need to have a few on my iPad for an upcoming getaway I am taking with Tori to the mountains. Thank you for the recommendations.
    And I think “antipasti” needs to be in the title somewhere for sure. That’s what it reminded me of too.

9. Clare
    July 5, 2012 / 4:01 pm

antipasald?

• Clare again
      July 5, 2012 / 4:02 pm

oh damn. antipasalad!

10. July 5, 2012 / 4:02 pm

@Patti @ NotDeadYet Style You’re right – quality time with our number one is very special and very important.

It’s fun thinking up things to do for our date nights. Next time I think we will do an early evening hike.

11. July 5, 2012 / 6:53 pm

I’m not sure of the color either; what I am sure of is that is a fabulous skirt! You wear it well.

http.www.waltzerl.blogspot.com

12. July 5, 2012 / 8:08 pm

Your recipe sounds delicious. Is this skirt one of those that can also be worn as a dress? It’s a beautiful color and it looks lovely on you.

13. July 5, 2012 / 8:36 pm

That maxi skirt was such a great find, this outfit is beautiful paired with that necklace, great styling. The salad looks delicious – perhaps “Summer Italian Cauliflower Salad”?

14. July 5, 2012 / 8:39 pm

@hostess of the humble bungalow One day at a time is right. And picking things to work on that are doable and even fun – some of them – helps tremendously.

Maybe I can use the word “healthy” in the name of the salad. Thanks for the idea!

15. July 5, 2012 / 8:50 pm

@Clare The first time I read this, I thought err, how does one pronounce that exactly? Thank you for coming back to correct. I would have had to text you otherwise 🙂

And it’s a great idea for a name…maybe add the word “cauliflower” to it?

16. July 5, 2012 / 8:51 pm

@Lisa Thank you, Lisa. I think it’s pretty fabulous too!

17. July 5, 2012 / 8:59 pm

@La Vie Quotidienne Thank you, La Vie. What was extra nice about this skirt is its length…super long for my tall self 🙂

18. July 5, 2012 / 9:02 pm

@Terri I don’t think it can be worn as a dress. The waist band is not wide enough for my bust. So maybe someone with a small chest could pull it off?
    I adore the color – really vibrant and fun and out of my normal neutralness.

19. July 5, 2012 / 9:02 pm

@lowcarbhighstyle I like that name for the recipe – easy to remember, to the point and descriptive. Thank you!

20. July 6, 2012 / 1:01 am

I always need to be reminded that the person you hurt most when you don’t do the things you’d like to do is…you! I always think I’m being sneaky and cheating when I come up with an excuse to not exercise/not get an errand or project done/or cheat on nutrition. As a 40-year old woman, I should abandon this pathetic habit from childhood.

So I’m going to adopt the motto: stop shoulding all over myself!

Cute skirt; I’ve wearing skirts exclusively during our hot summer, and they are the best.

21. July 6, 2012 / 3:13 am

Love the not-too-purple, not-too-pink maxi skirt and the recipe looks interesting – I love cauliflower!

I’ll have to “borrow” that e-card – “shoulding” all over oneself is definitely to be discouraged and what better way to bring in levity than laughter. Glad it’s helped you!

22. July 6, 2012 / 5:34 am

Aaaaahhhhhh! I am loving your outfit. You look so good! Wow, you are not playing around, when you make a resolution, you get on it! A gal after my own heart. I am trying to keep my Summer To Do list in front of my face every day so I keep myself on task, otherwise, my mind, she wanders…XO, Jill

23. July 6, 2012 / 5:52 am

Love your outfit – you look so fun in it, and glad you had a “date night”. That salad looks like a great thing to keep in the refrigerator when you want an easy lunch or even just a few bites for a snack. Can’t think of any clever name. Very funny e-card! xo

24. July 6, 2012 / 7:18 am

@Rebekah Bonde Such a good point, RB. I need to keep that in mind when I sabotage myself which is pretty much daily.

Never much of a skirt wearer myself, I have been surprising myself by choosing them over shorts or pants. I have collected four new long skirts over the last few months and enjoy wearing them every chance I get. I feel so feminine in them.

25. July 6, 2012 / 7:19 am

@Michelle Roebuck It has helped – a lot! I regularly catch myself “shoulding” and that little saying stops me immediately.
    Thank you again!

26. July 6, 2012 / 8:40 am

Oh my goodness, Adrienne you look absolutely wonnnnnnderful… what a gorgeous colour for a maxi skirt – looks so fabulous with the turquoise and denim!!

I can’t think of a name for your salad quickly enough (I’m rushing out the door) but it’s sure made me hungry!!!! I love artichoke hearts *nom*

Catherine x

27. July 6, 2012 / 9:05 am

Hi Adrienne!
    Just catching up on all your posts. Love your new bag and the skirt too. the salad looks so good for summer. You should totally submit it to Sunset!

Have a good weekend!

Kim

28. July 6, 2012 / 9:20 am

I am really loving the long, pink skirt that you are wearing here. It’s so pretty! I would like to find one similar.

Twitter: @GlamKitten88

29. July 6, 2012 / 4:16 pm

How about “Sonomunch Salad”? Sounded so good I picked up the ingredients at the store to try tomorrow with some grilled chicken. LOVE YOUR skirt–could those fold over waistbands be any mroe fabulous? They hold you in, up and you can scrunch up or down. Love mine! Great post. Have a great weekend!

30. July 6, 2012 / 9:11 pm

You are rocking that outfit!
    You’re doing great with your resolutions, you’ve got me inspired, as usual 🙂

31. July 7, 2012 / 4:27 am

Love skirts and I love this one. Great look–pairing it with denim and the turquoise. Fabulous, dahling.

32. July 9, 2012 / 7:56 am

Loved everything about this post! You are always so inspirational my dear! I actually read it last week and it got me thinking I had to do something to get myself out of some doldrums…and I did! Thank you Adrienne!

33. July 9, 2012 / 9:34 am

Hello, Fellow Tall Blogger! I’m so excited to meet you. Love your style (the fuchsia skirt with the turquoise necklace is just perfect) and love your blog!

Can’t wait to read more!

Gracey

34. July 9, 2012 / 5:47 pm

Hello Adrienne,
    You are quite an inspiration, so I have nominated you for The Very Inspiring Blogger Award. For more, click here–>http://italiagal.blogspot.com/2012/07/very-inspiring-blog-award.html
    ~Michelle