Visible Monday: Weekend with my sister

Visible Monday: Weekend with my sister

Natalie, my younger sister, came to visit us for the weekend. She lives just outside London and is working on her Ph.D. in English. She is writing not one, but two novels and already has a literary agent in London. She is quite an accomplished young woman at 25 years of age.

I adore spending time with her and wish we didn’t live so very far apart. Next year, when we go to Paris, we are thinking about spending a few days in London as well to see Natalie and ask her to play tourist with us.

Saturday, we headed to the Sonoma Coast to escape the intense inland heat. We had a lovely lunch at River’s End located in Jenner, about 45 minutes from our home.

This is what I ordered: a coastal seafood salad that was tasty and fresh.

This is the view of the Pacific from the restaurant.

After we ate, we sat out on the balcony and watched the world go by.

I spied a Bald Eagle sitting on a branch in a Cypress tree just north of us. We watched her for about 45 minutes, waiting for her to fly off but she never did. She stayed put and surveyed the area from her perch.

We also saw the almost always present sea lions that like to lounge on the beach and occasionally go for a swim. See that one doing the backstroke?

After we left Jenner, we headed north to Timber Cove. There is a beautiful lodge and restaurant we like to visit that is perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

This is the magnificent view looking northward from the patio.

I stretched out on the wood bench to take in the views.

This is looking back towards the hotel. I took this photo with my iPhone and am not sure why the sky turned out so, so blue. I didn’t enhance it or anything. The sky was blue, but not that blue.

We decided to walk the trails near the lodge to check out more vantage points.

It was very windy…so much so, you wound’t want to get too close to the edge of any cliff for fear you’d be blown off.

It was a strange terrain – desert-like with lots of rock, brush and sand dunes.

We look so funny hiking with our handbags.

We returned home, rather hungry from our long day of sightseeing on the coast, and went out to our favorite Mexican place, Taqueria La Hacienda, for a quick, cheap and satisfying dinner.

Sunday morning, we had breakfast at Garden Court in Glen Ellen. Tori works there as a busser/waitress on the weekends. And Natalie wanted to see her and say goodbye before she left for San Francisco to visit friends.

After Natalie departed for the city, Bill and I went to Sonoma to pick up a gift for a friend of mine and walk around the plaza.

Now for the Visible Monday part of the post: Sunday, I wore a long white lined cotton skirt I found last month at the local Goodwill for $4.00, a lace Hanky Panky tank, a cognac belt which was very necessary as the skirt is a little too big in the waist. I also wore gladiator sandals and carried my favorite handbag, a cognac tote I bought in Italy.

While thrifting last week with a girlfriend, I found a denim jacket for $4.00 that I decided to do this to.

Except mine did not turn out as cute as Carrie’s. The jacket I bought is too big in the armholes and torso to make the type of denim vest I wanted. But it will do until I find the right one.

It was really hot on Sunday. We wished so badly that we had a nice big pool to go home to.  On the way back to Kenwood, I had an idea: why not fill our old broken hot tub with the dead motor up with cold water?

Bill cleaned it out, filled it up and that is how we spent the rest of Sunday…intermittently dipping in ourselves in the “cold” tub and laying in the sun. We named it our “Pool (on a budget)”. It was very refreshing but a little hard to do laps in 🙂

How was your weekend?
Have you had any family visiting this summer?

1. July 22, 2012 / 9:34 pm

This is such a nice post, thanks for sharing this bit of your personal life 🙂
    Come visit and enter my newest giveaway!
    Sharon

2. July 22, 2012 / 9:54 pm

Very rich photos and fun to look at. You look great in your white dress and I love your bangs. I hadn’t noticed them cut like this before. Very cute!

3. July 22, 2012 / 10:41 pm

I’m a new visitor to your blog – lovely! Girls and their handbags- we take them everywhere don’t we! x http://takingachanceinlife.blogspot.co.uk/

4. July 22, 2012 / 11:44 pm

Wow! the views are gorgeous. I now have “leg-envy” seeing you in your shorts 😉

5. July 23, 2012 / 3:46 am

Sounds like a lovely weekend to spend together. I am always amazed by the scenery around you–so beautiful! Hope you had a nice visit with your sister. Love that dress!

6. July 23, 2012 / 4:02 am

Aw, that’s so neat that you got to spend time with your sister! Makes me miss mine – Georgia and Michigan are closer than CA and London, but if you can’t make the trip, I suppose it doesn’t really matter how many miles it is!

I love those Gladiator sandals of yours and I swear I had a dream the other night that I found a beautiful leather tote similar to yours (though with more buckles) in a thrift store – Ha! Even thrifting in my dreams! Recently, I actually did find a nice blouse that I can wear to work for $1.00. Not too shabby, me thinks. 😀

7. July 23, 2012 / 5:26 am

How lovely to catch up with your little sis!
    I can’t ever imagine writing one novel, let alone 2!
    You look fantastic in the white and brown combo, with the sleeveless jacket too!
    Cheers, j

8. July 23, 2012 / 5:28 am

How great to spend time with your sister. My sisters are also quite a bit younger, and I love their company. Your white-on-white outfit is so fresh and lovely!

9. July 23, 2012 / 5:29 am

Your sister sounds like an amazingly talented young lady! The coastal scenery is stunning as are you!
    You look fresh & SO pretty in your white!
    Hope you have a super week!

10. July 23, 2012 / 5:30 am

I had no idea your sister lived in London! Looks like you’ve had such a lovely time – I wish we had a coast like that here… I like summer whites combined with brown (cognac) coloured leather, it’s laid-back and classic at the same time, very nice 🙂 Have a lovely week, bisous xo

11. July 23, 2012 / 6:02 am

I love the white outfit on you and love your outings 🙂 Your pictures make me want to go to the beach tomorrow for a long stroll. Hopefully it’s not raining, windy or too cold as it is winter here

xo Stephanie

12. July 23, 2012 / 6:09 am

Great photos! I always love crisp and clean white with brown leather, it looks so rich! You look so pretty, you have such amazing hair! 🙂

13. July 23, 2012 / 6:28 am

Love your white with the cognac – so Italian looking 🙂
    Your sister is beautiful, and with the same gorgeous smile as yours. And so talented, two novels at the same time? And already a literary agent – wow!
    I hope you and Tori go and visit her in London, I think it would be a great addition to your trip to Paris. xo

14. July 23, 2012 / 6:29 am

Oh – and the coast looks so amazing. So few restaurants with beautiful coastline views in LA – I’ve always thought it was sad the way they overdeveloped the Pacific Coast Highway in So. Cal.

15. July 23, 2012 / 6:36 am

Adrienne you look cool, chic and so beautiful in white…! And I really do love your hair with the fringe (bangs), your hair is one of your many best features sweetie 🙂

And the pics are stunning, what a lovely day out.

Catherine x

16. July 23, 2012 / 6:54 am

I’ve said it before, but you have killer legs. I am so jealous!

And I’ve said this before, too: you must have the most incredible Goodwill. I’ve been to three of the local thrift stores in the “nice” part of town, and there is nothing. Nothing!

Your sister has a really pretty face and beautiful skin. It must run in the family!

17. July 23, 2012 / 7:05 am

Sweet sister time! I love the northern coast, just lovely. I love your hair in the handbag-hiking picture…the breeze was blowing it in all the right ways! I like the white on white with denim and brown accents, perfectly California-cool if you ask me. Blessings ~ Lina

18. July 23, 2012 / 7:08 am

Love the white dress with denim vest. I will have to whip up this pairing for my own ootd soon. 🙂

Found ya via Monday Mingle!

Meggy from Chasing Davies

19. July 23, 2012 / 7:57 am

Adrienne, your pictures make me miss the NoCal coastline. Looks like a lovely weekend with your gorgeous and accomplished sister. Love the white ensemble!

20. July 23, 2012 / 8:37 am

Looks like you had a nice visit with your sister!

We wanted to go to lunch @ River’s End last summer on our way to Sonoma as one of our neighbors had highly recommended it. Sadly, we did not have time to stop. Maybe next time!

I wish I could wear white better but it does not go with my complexion, sort of washes me out. But it looks great on you!

21. July 23, 2012 / 10:27 am

First off, Sorry I’ve been a bad blogging friend and fell of the face of the blogosphere. Reading your post I realized I felt like I missed you!
    So glad you got to spend some nice time in the sun with your sister! You both have similar smiles, you can tell you’re sisters 🙂
    You’ll have to let us know when her books are published.
    Also, love your very thrifty white outfit. You look so pretty and summery in it 🙂

22. July 23, 2012 / 10:28 am

Loved this post…you and your sister are both gorgeous and the places you took her, I really enjoyed seeing. Also, love a beautiful white dress with denim!!

23. July 23, 2012 / 12:35 pm

@Fashion-isha Thank you, Sharon. I will pop over to take a look! Nice to hear from you 🙂

24. July 23, 2012 / 1:00 pm

@Joni James Hi Joni, Yes, the bangs are sort of new. I wasn’t sure about them at first – almost grew them out but I began to like them. So much so, I went in for a trim last week.
    I am glad you like them! It’s a fun hairstyle to try for a while.

25. July 23, 2012 / 1:04 pm

@Applebypie We sure do! You never know when you might have to reapply lip gloss! Just kidding…we had no idea there would be hiking involved in our little stop at Timber Cove. I do actually prefer to always have my bag with me – have many fears about having it stolen out of my car.
    Thank you for stopping by!

26. July 23, 2012 / 1:19 pm

How nice to spend some quality time with your sister.. accomplished indeed! Wow, she’s working hard to get through all that academia. Gorgeous views and delicious lunch!

27. July 23, 2012 / 1:25 pm

Sounds like your “farmer’s tan wrist” is a great excuse to keep on wearing that stack of bangles! 😉

Thank you for following me!

28. July 23, 2012 / 1:39 pm

@Michelle Roebuck I dream about shopping, too! I had a dream once that I went to a fabulous second hand shop in Las Vegas with Diana Ross. It was such great dream, I didn’t want to wake up from it!

Great job on the $1.00 top! The cheapest I ever get is about $3.00 – no $1.00 stuff around here.

29. July 23, 2012 / 1:46 pm

@Jodie (aka mummaducka) I know! I find writing a blog post challenging…I can’t imagine a novel – or two!
    I really like the white with the denim and cognac, too. It has a country feel to it.

30. July 23, 2012 / 3:10 pm

I found your lovely blog thru gracey’s (fashion for giants) I love it! YOur style is so fresh and clean! Oh and that photo of you hiking with your handbag… what a great memory!

-NIco

www.SatinAndSalt.com

31. July 23, 2012 / 3:36 pm

Has your little sister picked up a british accent?
    I saw a post about turning a denim jacket into a vest and it said to get one that was tight for the best effect. I wondered why and i quess its because of the larger armhole issue you had. I found a jacket thrifting last fall but thought it was too small..should have bought it and turned it into a vest. Who knew.

32. July 23, 2012 / 4:53 pm

@Patti @ NotDeadYet Style Are your sisters from the same mother and father? My sister and I share a father but have different mothers.
    Thank you again for hosting Visible Monday, Patti!

33. July 23, 2012 / 4:57 pm

@gracefully50.com Thanks, Jeannie!
    And yes, my sister is an incredible young woman. I am very proud to call her my sister.

34. July 23, 2012 / 5:00 pm

@Mademoiselle Poirot Yes, she lives in Henley on Thames. Do you know it well?
    I also really love the cognac with white – I am finding cognac looks great with every single color. It’s really such a versatile color and so rich and lovely.

35. July 23, 2012 / 5:01 pm

@Stephanie Our beaches and the coast in general is very blustery in the winter – and even in the summer occasionally with all the summer fog we get.
    We happened to have had a perfectly gorgeous day at the coast last Saturday – Mother Nature must’ve known my sister needed some sunshine after a grey and wet stretch in England.

36. July 23, 2012 / 5:06 pm

@Style Mentor™ Thank you and welcome! I am fortunate to have gotten my hair from my mother – we both have thick but not coarse hair and seems to grow pretty fast.

Thank you for stopping by!

37. July 23, 2012 / 5:08 pm

@kathy peck The more Bill and I talk about the more I think we are going to London for a few days while we are visiting Paris. Natalie won’t be living there forever – she will probably only be there another year. It would be so great to have her show us around.

38. July 23, 2012 / 5:11 pm

@kathy peck We don’t have many restaurants on the coast up here but there are a small handful. There is a really great one called Nick’s Cove about 45 minutes south of here. When you come up one of these days, we can go there for lunch:)

39. July 23, 2012 / 5:15 pm

@Catherine @ Not Dressed As Lamb The bangs, or fringe as you Brits call them (which I think is a much cuter word) are new for me. I got them about a month ago and immediately thought I had made a huge mistake. But they grew on me – figuratively and literally – and I started to like them a lot! They aren’t as high maintenance as I thought they would be except for the monthly trims.
    Happy 40th Birthday, Catherine!! xoxo

40. July 23, 2012 / 5:19 pm

It’s so nice to “meet” your sister and I’m curious to know more about this budding novelist!

And I love this white look. I was already thinking it was one of my favorite looks of yours, only to see it with a denim vest in the next frame. Very well done!

41. July 23, 2012 / 5:19 pm

@Sheree Thank you, Sheree and thank you also for stopping by!
    I really want to find a denim vest that fits – not as easy as I thought it would be!

42. July 23, 2012 / 6:09 pm

Great post! Thank you for sharing such breathtaking views. I wish I was there.

43. July 23, 2012 / 7:15 pm

@Rebekah Bonde I do think the Goodwill near me is special in some way. The prices are not rock bottom – I actually paid $15.00 for a dress last week which is a lot for thrift clothes – but still better than retail. Perhaps there is a boutique (I think that is what mine is called) in your area. Maybe call Goodwill and find out? I never go to the huge Goodwills that have everything – furniture and the like – I go only to this particular small Goodwill and always find great items.

My sister does have the most creamy and clear skin. She will age well since she stays well out of the sun.

44. July 23, 2012 / 7:17 pm

@Old Married Lady I have a few other photos where my hair is blowing straight up due to the wind – I look like Heat Miser from that 60’s Christmas show!

Glad you like the outfit! I was channeling my inner cowgirl/Stevie Nicks 🙂

45. July 23, 2012 / 7:20 pm

@Meggy Hi Meggy! Thank you for stopping by. If you thrift, you should have no problem finding a denim jacket to cut the sleeves off of. But it’s not easy to find the right fit – go small!

46. July 23, 2012 / 7:25 pm

@déjà pseu Any time you’d like to head north, I would love to show you around. The coast is even more spectacular in the fall.

47. July 23, 2012 / 7:27 pm

@LRS4AMANDA Hi Linda,

You know River’s End has rooms – little one room cottages that look out over the water. Next time you come up we will be sure to have a meal there. It’s great for whale watching, too.

I would think white would look great on you – am surprised to hear that it doesn’t suit you.

Hope you are well!
    xo. A

48. July 23, 2012 / 7:33 pm

@Laura So nice to hear from you! I know how it is to be out of the blog world for a while from time to time. I hope all is going well with your new doggies. I still need to send you some clothes when I get a chance to go through them.

You will definitely know when my sisters first book is published. I will be telling the world about it! It’s so exciting.
    xo, A

49. July 23, 2012 / 7:34 pm

@Leslie She is very dedicated to her craft and to her academics. She is also starting film school in London this fall. Maybe we will all be watching her movies someday!

50. July 23, 2012 / 7:36 pm

@Joni James Thank you for the follow back! I noticed my farmers tan yesterday while in our hot/cold tub. I had a good chuckle over it 🙂

51. July 23, 2012 / 7:47 pm

@Nico Saich Hi Nico! Thank you for stopping by. I love meeting new bloggers 🙂

52. July 23, 2012 / 7:49 pm

@catherine No British accent for my sister. She moved to the UK after college – so she was already 22 or so. I am pretty sure she can nail an authentic Brit accent though 🙂

I knew to buy a fitted denim jacket to turn into a vest and I thought I had – but it wasn’t fitted enough. Next time I will know what to look for!

53. July 23, 2012 / 7:53 pm

@Terri I neglected to mention that my sister has a blog – it’s called Luminterre and it’s on my blog roll. There is a little more about her life on there but not much because she is always so busy writing! Her first novel is about a woman from Jordan in the 1st century. She has done a ton of research for the book – she must be an expert on Jordanian history by now!

As far as my skirt and top go, I do need to do something about the waist on the skirt as it was rather fussy yesterday – it’s too big. And the jacket isn’t going to work in the long run either. But at least I know what to look for at the thrift shop now!

54. July 23, 2012 / 7:54 pm

@Sylvia They were breathtaking views – it was a magnificent day at the coast!

55. July 23, 2012 / 7:58 pm

@Our French Inspired Home I could have stayed on that bench for hours! It was so relaxing. Right next to the bench is a huge gas fire pit with chairs around it. I want to go back to experience a fire in the pit at sunset. Doesn’t that sound wonderful?

56. July 23, 2012 / 8:01 pm

How wonderful that your sister came for a visit…it looks like you had a fabulous time…and now you have next year to look forward to!

57. July 23, 2012 / 8:12 pm

@La Vie Quotidienne It was wonderful – I hope I don’t have to wait until next year to see her again as she is coming back to California (southern) during the Christmas holiday this year. But if that doesn’t happen, we will definitely see her while in Europe next spring.

58. July 23, 2012 / 9:39 pm

I love stopping by your blog for a mini get away…you share your travels so beautifully….speaking of beautiful.. you are truly…as always my dear!

59. July 24, 2012 / 7:15 pm

Love the outfit!

xo Jennifer

60. July 24, 2012 / 9:46 pm

Your sister sounds fantastic!
    And I don’t blame you for filling up the broken hot tub. I’m very close to buying a plastic kiddie pool 🙂

61. July 25, 2012 / 6:37 am

@Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) Hanky Panky is not cheap but it’s a brand I am loyal to for my underthings. I only wear Hanky Panky panties (too much information??). They last a long time, are comfortable and cute!
    I bought my HP tank new – but I do have a thrifted HP dress that is gorgeous. I can only wear it when feeling very confident and trim as it’s extremely body conscious. Someday I will get up the nerve to put it on the blog.

62. July 25, 2012 / 6:39 am

@Sara Louise We have a kiddie pool for our two big dogs that I was going to get in before I came up with the hot tub idea. Sometimes it’s more important to be cool than to look cool!

63. July 25, 2012 / 11:47 am

Hi Adrienne, I enjoyed visiting and getting to meet your gorgeous and talented sister. You must be very proud.

How lucky to spot a bald eagle and have your camera on hand!

64. July 25, 2012 / 2:10 pm

ha ha, great idea on the pool! Love your all white outfit, so chic and summery!

65. July 25, 2012 / 4:58 pm

Adrienne, I think the vest turned out great. I am so excited you gave it try. It looks great over the white. That’s awesome you got to spend time with your sister. She seems like a great girl. I got to spend time last night with my brothers and it was so much fun. Family is the best!

Carrie

66. July 26, 2012 / 5:58 am

Your sister is so cute and so lucky to already have an agent. Wow! Please keep us up to date on her writing progress. I love the white dress on you, you look so summery and beautiful. XO, Jill

67. July 26, 2012 / 12:46 pm

What a beautiful part of the world you live in. Must have been fabulous having your sister there with you.

The outfit looks fab.

TDM xxx

68. July 26, 2012 / 8:05 pm

@Susan Partlan I know! What are the chances? I was telling my sister a story and happened to look over her shoulder and there it was, sitting up in the trees. My husband was enthralled with it and took about 20 photos.
    I am very proud of my sister. She is such a delight to be with.

69. July 26, 2012 / 8:06 pm

@lowcarbhighstyle We thought the “pool” was pretty clever, too. It finally got some use having sat there, inert, for the last several months.

70. July 26, 2012 / 8:07 pm

@Carrie Teal The vest is just a little too big in the shoulders and arm holes – but I am still glad I did it because now I know what to look for.
    Thank you for the great vest idea/DIY!

71. July 26, 2012 / 8:10 pm

@jill815 I will keep everyone abreast of my sister’s novels. It’s so exciting!
    Glad that you like the white skirt and top – I felt a little Stevie Nicks in it, in a good way 🙂

72. July 27, 2012 / 9:11 am

Great post! Love Jenner and this whole area. You and your sis look so cute. You should visit London for sure next year!

Kim