Positively Friday: Vegas and other things

Positively Friday: Vegas and other things

~ Tuesday evening, I returned home from Las Vegas where I had a truly wonderful time with my friend, Chrissy.  We stayed at The Red Rock Hotel which is way off The Strip in the northwestern part of the city. Our 12th floor room had a great view of the pool and of Red Rock Canyon.

I arrived in Las Vegas mid-morning on Sunday. We went to lunch, did a little shopping, got settled in our room, and had dinner then ventured to the revitalized downtown area. We had a beer at The Griffin, a funky, dark and hip bar on famous Fremont Street.

We were both so tired after such  long day (both of us had been up since the wee hours of the morning the night before) we didn’t even finish our beers and headed back to the hotel around 10:00 p.m…..such party girls we are!

Monday was a sunny, hot day in the city.

We decided it was a great day for the pool and reserved a cabana.

We ordered a fruit platter and drank foofy drinks brought to us by cabana boys. Our cabana had a tv, fan, a refrigerator full of all sorts of beverages, magazines, and plenty of towels and sunscreen.

But we spent most of our time lounging by or in our semi-private pool that we shared with a couple of other cabana renters.

That evening, we met up with a friend from high school that I haven’t seen in over 15 years for a drink, dinner and lots of catching up. We sat outdoors around a huge, colorful fire pit. The temperature couldn’t have been more ideal.

On Tuesday, my last day in Vegas, it rained. What beautiful scenes just out our hotel window! I love when it rains in the desert.

We met another friend from high school, who I haven’t seen in almost 20 years, for lunch. It was so, so great to see her. It made an already wonderful trip that much better.

There is nothing quite like being with people who you share long histories with. Chrissy and I have known each other for 30 years and like any lengthy relationship we have had our fair share of wonderful times and difficult times. Yet our relationship endures, has such resilience and grows stronger with each passing year. As I grow older, I recognize more and more what an invaluable gift her friendship is to me.

~ While I was in Las Vegas, I received an email from a dear reader that delighted me to no end. Michelle, who writes the blog The Persnickety Eater, had put together a flattering, glamourous and stylish look for her 20th high school reunion. Imagine the heads Michelle must’ve turned!

Michelle’s dress is the perfect length on her.
It shows off her great legs without being distractingly short.
And her nude shoes lengthen her already long legs.
Bravo, Michelle!

Doesn’t she look stunning? She added this bracelet that you can’t see in the previous shot.

Guess how much she paid for her outfit from head to toe. $500? $300? $100?

Nope! She paid $32.00 total for her dress, shoes and bracelet – $17 dress from Ross, $5 shoes from Payless BOGO, and $10 for the bracelet. The sapphire necklace is a gift from Michelle’s mother.

Michelle told me that while she was shopping, she had “What would Adrienne do?” moments. Knowing that my blog has convinced someone that there is no need to spend lots of money to look your very best is what makes the time and effort blogging requires all worth it. And Michelle is living proof.

~ Thursday morning, I went hiking with a friend. We managed to somehow get lost in a park where we regularly hike. We ended up scurrying up steep hills and down steep hills, around bends and through valleys until we finally, two hours and 40 minutes later, found our way back to the car with sore toes and cramped legs.

What’s positive about that? A) I didn’t freak out, thereby sticking to my “don’t be a chicken” resolutionB) I now know where the trail called “Cobblestone” begins and ends and learned that there is a big “loop” on the trail, C) I got in a better-than-expected workout, D) I will never again leave my cell phone in the car and, E) I now have even more respect and awe for Cheryl Strayed.

I was so fatigued afterwards that upon returning home and eating lunch, I promptly fell into a deep sleep for an hour, which is unlike me. I think I will need an epsom salt bath later today for all my achy leg muscles!

I hope you had a great week, too!
What was positive about it?
Please share!

1. August 3, 2012 / 8:57 am

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! My husband returned recently from a Vegas trip with relatives…he had never been and returned with many pictures from the strip, Hoover Dam, and the desert! I am glad he got to see what it is all about! Get plenty of rest….

2. August 3, 2012 / 9:16 am

Hi Adri!
    Wonderful pics as usual!
    Is Vegas very expensive? Or there places that are more or less affordable?
    I hope one day I’ll be able to travel to Nevada and see the desert, I am terribly attracted to these wild places, Nevada, New Mexico..

I am happy you like to be called Adri..eh, you know, I call my son in the same way!

3. August 3, 2012 / 9:36 am

forgot to write about my week, found the perfect formula for henna dying my hair, too bad the shop that was selling this wonderful henna powder has terminated business due to the eurozone crisis…at least I’ve got finally reddish hair and managed to cover my numerous gray areas..
    I’m getting ready for the summer holidays, sorted out documents, medicines, paying bills, googling museums and parks to make a rough plan of what to do, I don’t like too carefully planned holidays…

4. August 3, 2012 / 9:57 am

This comment has been removed by the author.

5. August 3, 2012 / 10:17 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 We did have a great time. But it was short so I didn’t take in many of the local sights. That’s okay though – I lived there for 12 years as a kid and have seen of them already. Glad you husband had fun in Vegas. It’s such a fun place to visit!

6. August 3, 2012 / 10:21 am

@lovesjetlag Hi Barbara!

Yes, Las Vegas is pretty expensive as a tourist but no more so than other big cities in the US. It’s an inexpensive place to live – housing market is a mess and I think there are great deals for locals.
    Back in the 70’s and 80’s when I lived there, it was a very cheap place to visit. The food was cheap, the entertainment was cheap and the lodging was cheap. But things change as they do and now most of those deals are a thing of the past.

The desert states are beautiful to see especially in the spring and fall. Utah, California, Arizona and Nevada all have beautiful desert landscapes. Moab, Utah is one of my favorite desert destination. Just don’t go in August like Bill and I did when it was 116 degrees!

I do love being called Adri – maybe it will catch on after nearly 45 years!

7. August 3, 2012 / 10:23 am

@lovesjetlag Did you stock up on the henna before the business went under? I hope so. That would be tragic to find your ideal product only to have it suddenly be unavailable.
    I don’t like to be overly planned either. That’s why I cringe at the idea of group tours and even cruises. I like my freedom!
    Will you stay in Italy for your holiday or venture out to another country?

8. August 3, 2012 / 10:56 am

What a delightful post Adrienne…i so enjoy traveling vicariously with you!

I am quite sure your blog influences more people than you will ever truly realize! I know reading about your choices has influenced some of mine!

Wishing you a wonderful weekend my dear!

9. August 3, 2012 / 11:16 am

Sounds like a great trip with your friends!

I’m terrified to leave my cell in the car…that’s the one time something will happen!

10. August 3, 2012 / 11:45 am

@Suburban Princess Bringing my phone with me on a hike is a pain in the rear…I don’t usually wear shorts with pockets when I hike so I have to carry it. Maybe I need to start wearing a small backpack or even a fanny pack (eek!) because the idea of getting lost in the middle of the woods again is unsettling to say the least!

11. August 3, 2012 / 12:00 pm

my positive week is highlighted by the amazing and generous people who make up the blog world. i’ve been blown away by people’s generosity and kindness.

that outfit def looks more expensive than $32. that is Amazing!

12. August 3, 2012 / 12:41 pm

The most positive thing about my week is finishing some projects that have been sitting on my desk for over 5 weeks. I’m also wrapping up the final tasks on an event taking place next week.

I’m also grateful for the new friends I’ve made in Austin. This week has just been filled with all the good things in life!

13. August 3, 2012 / 12:45 pm

@the gardener’s cottage There are so many wonderful people out there in the blog world. And you are one of the most wonderful, Janet.

I think Michelle did an outstanding job of finding an expensive looking outfit for next to nothing. I am so impressed by her! I just had to share it with everyone.

14. August 3, 2012 / 12:46 pm

@Rebekah Bonde Lovely to hear, Rebekah! Wonderful that you are meeting new friends and finishing lingering projects. I hope you have a terrific weekend!

15. August 3, 2012 / 3:19 pm

Your trip looks so great – I love that Red Rock Hotel. Looks like something in a movie, it has a very cool vibe.
    And so nice to see your old friends, isn’t it amazing how you can just pick up the closeness like no time has gone by at all.
    Michelle’s outfit is amazing. Looks very elegant – and thanks for showing it to us.
    I always take my cell phone on a hike. I do carry a fanny pack with water and that – not the most attractive, but necessary I feel. Between that and my Tilley hat, I look like an incredible dork.

16. August 3, 2012 / 4:21 pm

@Leigh Powell Hines (Hines-Sight Blog) Michelle really did a great job putting together an elegant and stylish look for a small amount of money.

And I did have a wonderful time…I miss my friend already! Hope we can do it again next year.

17. August 3, 2012 / 4:43 pm

The pictures from the cabana sent me into a swoon – I need that, stat! What a great getaway. Thanks for sharing the fun pics and stories : >

18. August 3, 2012 / 7:28 pm

oooh I have had a very good week! I have finally found something to help me overcome my photo uploading issues! I am drafting up a post on it. Instead of backwards and forwardsing for a couple of hours whilst waiting for photos to load, I can get a post done, with lots of photos, as I have just done in very short period of time. YAY! No need to look for a new computer after all!

Have also found a new photo transferring App to transfer photos from iphone to ipad and computer via bluetooth, so not using wifi quotas, yay!

19. August 3, 2012 / 8:50 pm

Looks like you have had a lovely time! Who doesn’t need a getaway!

Thanks for sharing Michelle’s blog post outfit…its great. Attending a reunion looking that great has to feel fabulous. Love finding perfect outfits on a budget.

20. August 4, 2012 / 7:41 am

What a wonderful girls trip your are having! Thanks for taking us along 🙂

21. August 4, 2012 / 8:22 am

Looks like you had a great trip. If I am correct Gordon Ramsey has a place at the Red Rock? We have looked at staying there before too.

22. August 4, 2012 / 10:42 am

Thanks for sharing my reunion success – even 20 years out of high school I was still panicking about finding “just the right look”… And I found it all after work on a Friday afternoon before the Saturday evening event. Gave me the leeway to get a haircut and mani/pedi (a rarity for me). I felt very relaxed about my choice once I got there and saw that I fit in fine.

I love going hiking, though I’m usually on well-marked trails with my boys in tow these days, so there’s little chance of truly getting lost!

Can’t wait for your next “How I wear my…”!!

23. August 5, 2012 / 10:34 pm

Loved this post! Looks like a lot of fun. Those Cabanas are cool! Isn’t it nice catching up with old friends? Makes you also reflect on years you have forgotten about.

As for hiking I have done the same on a trail by here and it was scary! You don’t expect to get lost near your home and on a familiar trail!

Michelle looks fabulous! You inspire by driving home the point that you don’t need to spend a bunch to look great. We need to hear that message more in this world! Love it.

Kim