Shorts and Heels on a Coffee Date

Shorts and Heels on a Coffee Date
Happy Labor Day!

Bill and I visited a newly built winery in our town yesterday morning for Illy Americano coffees. VJB Cellars, located in Kenwood, is absolutely gorgeous and it has much more to offer than just fabulous Italian-style wine.

You can’t help but feel like you’re in Tuscany. It’s like having a tiny Italy just down the road that we can visit any time we like.

They have an outdoor wood fired pizza oven…

a gelateria and souvenir shop….

an inviting courtyard….

and a wonderful marketplace complete with a fantastic assortment of cheeses, a variety of fresh salads, paninis and a great selection of olive oils, balsamic vinegars, sauces and pasta.

The entrance to “La Cucina” where you find coffee, wine and lots of
other gastric delights.

Hidden in a corner of the courtyard, there is a tall birdcage with the most darling finches.

For the last month or so, I’ve been meeting up with a girlfriend for coffee every now and then. It’s such a relaxing and lovely place. We usually stay for a few hours.

I wanted Bill to see how beautiful VJB is and asked him to forgo our usual coffee routine at home and have coffee there instead.

He liked it as much as I do. Too bad we can’t roll out of bed in our pajamas and slippers and head down for coffee every morning.

Even though it’s September, it’s still hot around here. Shorts seemed like the sensible choice for a 90+ degree day. I usually wear ballet flats or flip flops with shorts but thought I’d dress them up a little a heel. Nothing crazy in the heel department, just my 2 1/2″ navy suede wedges.

I have often thought about trying my 3″ chunky heeled black pumps with a pair of dressy black shorts but fear I will look more like a floozy than a stylish 40-something.

What are your thoughts on heels with shorts?

For the first time, I wore a new cardigan I ordered from Old Navy. The color is so fun and it’s nice and long for me in the torso and arms (I ordered a “tall”). The material is soft and it’s got lots of stretch.

I really like the way it hugs my body. Cardigans that are loose often make me look boxy.

What I like most of all is the price. With discounts and coupons as such, it ended up costing a little over $11.00 (normally $24.95).

I bought the same cardigan in a few other colors and patterns. You’ll be seeing them on the blog soon as I plan on wearing them lots this fall.

How was your weekend?
Have you visited the new VJB yet?
Have you ever tried shorts with heels?

1. September 3, 2012 / 10:37 am

I share your dream of rolling out of bed into a charming cafe like this one, Adrienne! Your shorts with heels look is fab, not floozy, and your new cardigan is lovely too. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

2. September 3, 2012 / 10:41 am

This place looks fabulous…would love to have one like it nearby! I think your heels with shorts look great…if I could do it, I would! Very cute look!

3. September 3, 2012 / 11:31 am

Do they also make pizza in the evening? Pizza + gelato che classic saturday program of the Italian ordinary family with kids….
    Love the aqua cardi..you know I own too an old navy cardi? Same style as yours, mine is brown, and it’s true, they are perfectly tailored!
    As for heels and shorts…I feel wedges are ok, high heeled sandals are ok but pumps…mhhh pumps are difficult to match, as a matter of fact I don’t own many because in my way of seeing things, they only match with slightly A shaped skirts or pencil skirts…pumps offer limited choices in my view, I prefer wedges, they are more versatile, they match with everything. But it’s only my view, I’m sure many people disagree

4. September 3, 2012 / 11:39 am

Shorts and heels can be dicey, but I think yours work well here because the heels are more casual. What a great winery/little-bit-of-Tuscany! It looks very inviting.

5. September 3, 2012 / 12:05 pm

I couldn’t agree more about rolling out of bed and being in an adorable scenic place like that. On my bedroom wall, I have a huge framed print called “French Doors.” It’s a view from a hotel suite overlooking the Eiffel Tower. I see it every morning I wake up and hope that some day, that dream will be a reality.

I love heels with shorts. I’m a shorty (5′ 4″) and a wedge heel with shorts is almost mandatory for me unless I want to look squatty. It just has to be the right heels with the right shorts. You paired yours very nicely. They make your long legs look even longer and you don’t look like a tart at all. 😉 Robyn

6. September 3, 2012 / 12:51 pm

Who says you cant head down in the PJ’s and slippers?? You might turn a few heads, but for the wrong reasons. I guess you better stick with an outfit like you show.

7. September 3, 2012 / 1:16 pm

I really like your shorts with the wedges, especially as you look like you might be walking on some gravelled paths. Normal heels would be trashed very quickly, and well, the wedges look better. I don’t wear too many heels as we have a gravel driveway. I am not a shorts girl (bad veins!), nor a heels girl. probably due to the sun protection factor too- I am usually too rushed to put sunscreen on my legs.
    I would love to visit VJBs but alas it would cost, me several thousand for a cuppa, lol!
    I absolutely adore that colour of your cardigan, it is just beautiful!

8. September 3, 2012 / 1:59 pm

I’d love to have a little piece of Italy on my own doorstep. Your shorts and heels look great on you, Adrienne. As does that cute little cardigan.

9. September 3, 2012 / 2:04 pm

That looks nice, I’ll have to check it out!

Brooke

=)

10. September 3, 2012 / 2:38 pm

Adrienne, I think you can wear almost anything and look classy and stylish! You are so lucky to live where you do as well.
    Off topic – do you know what has happened to Catherine of Aesthetic Alterations? The blog seems to have disappeared and I miss it so much! I thought you might know since you have met her in real life.

11. September 3, 2012 / 3:53 pm

Funny how a pair of shoes can really change the whole vibe of an outfit. Flats or flip flops would have been ‘cute’ but the wedges look ‘pretty’. I love them.

12. September 3, 2012 / 4:06 pm

That color is very pretty on you…a great choice. And I love your new coffee spot. What great atmosphere…just beautiful.

13. September 3, 2012 / 4:43 pm

You look great! I think the wedges work well with the shorts, but not sure I love the idea of real heels and shorts – reminds me too much of the “hot pants” days.

Love the new bit of Tuscany right by you – I’d be spending a lot of time there too.

14. September 3, 2012 / 5:08 pm

I haven’t tried shorts with heels for some of the reasons you mention, but I like these with the wedges. And this looks like a lovely place to have a long, lingering coffee.

15. September 3, 2012 / 5:11 pm

Your post just reminded me to visit our local winery!
    What a pretty sweater! The color looks wonderful on you! I love heels but haven’t had the courage to wear them with shorts. I may try them this fall with a pair of stockings.

16. September 3, 2012 / 5:21 pm

What a beautiful place! I am a big fan of the shorts with heels, and I don’t think floozy like when the shorts are an appropriate length (and i know you don’t have any that aren’t) and paired with a pretty blouse. That cardigan is so cute, must try to pick some up at the next sale!

17. September 3, 2012 / 6:19 pm

I love those cute little zebra finches. We had a couple of them when I was a kid. I haven’t worn heels with shorts in such a long time (and now don’t wear shorts at all) but I like this look on you! XO, Jill

18. September 3, 2012 / 7:29 pm

That place looks beautiful! I want to go there.

I like your outfit; the color combination is very pretty. Love the ON sweater!

19. September 3, 2012 / 8:32 pm

How I wish I had to cool place like that to have coffee instead of the same old Starbucks!

We were at some friends house for a BBQ last night and she has one of those finch socks. Have you ever seen what they look like? The birds just flock to them, I might just have to order one.

I think your wedges look fine with shorts, and the rest of your outfit is classy as well. My first thought was how cute you look so I say wear em’!

20. September 3, 2012 / 8:39 pm

Adrienne, What a fun place and so gorgeous. I have to check it out when I am up there.
    I love the color of your sweater. Cardigans are really the workhorses of the closet. Love them. I think your wedges with shorts look very tasteful and cute.
    KIm

21. September 3, 2012 / 8:41 pm

My rules for shorts with heels:
    ** The shorts can’t be too short
    ** They should be good quality and a little more on the ‘dressy’ side
    ** Wedges are OK
    ** High-heeled sandals/ strappy summer heels can work too.
    ** And definitely keep it more on the conservative side on top.

22. September 3, 2012 / 11:38 pm

the cardigan completly looks j crew , its stunning regardles , love your look doll
    www.pilarscratch.bogspot.com

23. Anonymous
    September 4, 2012 / 2:22 am

I love the colour of that cardigan and it looks great with navy. Thanks for the inspiration ! I’ll look for that cardigan as I recently died my hair a very dark brown am noticing certain colours in my wardrobe arent as flattering anymore.
    Camille

24. September 4, 2012 / 5:58 am

I agree with vintagefrenchchic, that color is definitely yours! And a great buy too. I don’t wear heels with shorts because I feel its a younger look (I’m 63), but I still wear shorts with flats or sandals, just a little longer.

The area you live in is beautiful.

25. September 4, 2012 / 8:17 am

I wear lots of cardigans – esp. like the color you’ve chosen.

Popped in from NDYS’ Visible Monday.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

26. September 4, 2012 / 10:31 am

What a beautiful place! I feel the same way about shorts and heels, but if they are the right type of shorts I think you can get away with it. I have worn my high-heeled wedges with shorts before and I feel sexier than I do when I wear sweet ballerina flats. And after 40 we deserve to feel sexy whenever the mood strikes us. So go for it, put those high heels on!

27. September 4, 2012 / 12:42 pm

Love, love the cardi. As to shorts with heels, I think you look great in what you wore and would look equally as good in other heels. I never wear heels due to foot pain, but I do like the look.
    Wow, what a lovely place to go for coffee!

28. September 4, 2012 / 3:10 pm

I love your shorts with the heels… floozy not…so stylish..YES!

29. September 4, 2012 / 4:59 pm

That would depend on the length and style of shorts.. but yes! I think a wedge or small heel is fine! What a fun little spot .. great photos!

leslie

30. September 4, 2012 / 5:35 pm

@Patti Really, I probably could roll out of bed, throw on a sweatshirt and a pair of flip flops and head out but I don’t think the people at the winery would appreciate that 🙂

Thanks for continuing to host VM, Patti!

31. September 4, 2012 / 5:43 pm

@lovesjetlag Only if it’s a special event. They close around 5:00 p.m. like most wineries do. One of these days, I am going to go off my no-flour diet and try a pizza. And some gelato. It’s too tempting having it down the street!

I get what you’re saying about pumps. I am very fussy about them. With my stature, I have to have a chunky heel. Kitten heels and stilettos are not only dangerous for me to wear – ankle rollers that they are – but look silly on me. I have one pair of black Calvin Klein pumps that I adore. They are the only ones that look decent on me and they are comfortable. I may try them with a pair of black tailored shorts just to see if they look tasteful together.

32. September 4, 2012 / 5:48 pm

@déjà pseu When you come up to visit the wine country next time, we will have to meet there for a coffee, or better yet, a wine tasting!

33. September 4, 2012 / 5:56 pm

@Robyn @ Robyn♥s Nest After my husband took me to Paris for my 40th birthday, I returned home obsessed with the place. I turned our bedroom into a homage to Paris..it got a little out of control there for a while. I still have lots of French themed things in our bedroom. And I enjoy waking up to see images of my favorite place.

You are right…it’s all about the right shoes with the right shorts. I think wedges are mostly fine with shorts but pumps could be tricky.

34. September 4, 2012 / 6:03 pm

@Our French Inspired Home Yes, I don’t think the proprietors would be too thrilled to see me wander in with my bed head and fuzzy slippers. But I could probably make it down there in the classic “yoga outfit to run errands” look that I see so often!

35. September 4, 2012 / 6:09 pm

@Jodie aka Mummaducka’sKaos There are plenty of place I would love to see in your neck of the planet, too! Someday either I will get there or you will come here…but hopefully, we will have coffee together one of these days.

I agree about wedges being a bit safer to walk in. And don’t seem to get as damaged as pumps do.

36. September 4, 2012 / 6:11 pm

@Sulky Kitten I really like the cardigan. I don’t expect it to hold up too long as it’s Old Navy after all, not exactly the highest quality.

Bill and I appreciate having such a great place to have a cup of coffee finally. Our town is so tiny, it’s the only place to get a cup. Can you believe that?

37. September 4, 2012 / 6:13 pm

@Patricia Hi Patricia,

I am not entirely sure why Catherine deleted her blog but I think it had something to do with a security issue of some sort. Maybe once things settle down with her, she will return to the blog world.

38. September 4, 2012 / 6:15 pm

@catherine So true! Shoes play a huge part in a outfit. Can make or break it!

39. September 4, 2012 / 6:15 pm

@vintagefrenchchic VJB really is a gorgeous place. We are so fortunate to have it here in our little town. It’s the only coffee place in town.

40. September 4, 2012 / 6:17 pm

@kathy peck I am going to try the pumps and shorts look in the privacy of my own home and see what happens. If it looks decent, maybe I’ll wear it in public and do a post!

41. September 4, 2012 / 6:19 pm

@Terri Maybe you could try it sometime! I bet you’d look great in shorts and a heel.

42. September 4, 2012 / 6:20 pm

@gracefully50.com I am always curious about wineries in other states. What sort of grapes do your wineries grow? What types of wine do they make?

You have a fantastic set of legs….try heels with shorts. You might like it!

43. September 4, 2012 / 6:23 pm

@denimanddots.com You wear heels with shorts and you never, ever look tarty!
    I owe the ON sweater find to you…you led me to their site looking for that heart sweater and that’s how I found the cardis. ON has some great stuff this season!

44. September 4, 2012 / 6:27 pm

@Lisa Walter It is…if you ever come out this way, stop by for a visit. I’ll meet you there 🙂

45. September 4, 2012 / 6:29 pm

@LRS4AMANDA I have seen the finch socks. I should try one. Years ago, we had a bird feeder made for finches but it ended up getting seed all over the ground that the dogs would eat – a waste of money.
    A sock would keep the seeds in. I think our local feed store carries those. Perhaps I will get one for spring.

46. September 4, 2012 / 6:31 pm

@kim at northerncalstyle. I think you would really like it. And so would your kids – they sell pizza and gelato after all!

If you come this way, and you have time, give me a heads up – we could meet up for a glass of wine or a cappuccino.

47. September 4, 2012 / 6:32 pm

This comment has been removed by the author.

48. September 4, 2012 / 6:35 pm

@Sara Louise Yes to all! A great list for how to not look like a floozy in shorts and heels:)

49. September 4, 2012 / 6:36 pm

@Pilar Scratch Thanks, Pilar. I have a J. Crew cardigan and like the ON much better in terms of fit.
    Thank you for stopping by Pilar!

50. September 4, 2012 / 6:39 pm

@Anonymous Hi Camille,

Whenever I change my hair color, I find I need to revamp my makeup and think more about what colors look okay with my new hair. Mint does look great on brunettes but it looks good on blondes, too. And red heads, I would imagine.
    ON has lots of fun colors in their cardigans this season. I also bought a red, gray, leopard and black. I couldn’t pass up the low prices.

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2012 / 2:26 am

Yes, I was there last month and bought a white with black polka dots. It’s adorable ! My hair used to be a kind of wheat / golden brown. Not that mint looked bad it’s just that with my new super dark hair it will pop !

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2012 / 2:40 am

I also like the mint with the beautiful caramel colour of your hair. A leopard cardi would be something new for me to try ! I don’t have a stitch of leopard in my wardrobe . This may sound funny but go back about 10 years and I used to think only old ladies wore leopard print. Or at least that most leopard printed garments were kind of like giant moumou’s ? I don’t know if I was correct in thinking that and I do realize its incredibly trendy and chic now but my brain is still afraid of it lol . However I am going to look for that leopard cardi at ON and get over it !

51. September 4, 2012 / 6:42 pm

@Kristien62 Hi Kristien! Welcome.

I almost always go for ballet flats or flat sandals with shorts. But sometimes it fun to try something new.
    Glad you like the sweater color. I think it’s such a fun shade.

52. September 4, 2012 / 6:45 pm

@what’s her bucket Yes to sexy after 40! You’re so right that we need to and deserve to feel sexy every once in awhile. I am sure our husband’s wouldn’t mind that!

53. September 4, 2012 / 6:51 pm

@Leslie Hi Leslie,

Yes, it is a lovely place. So thankful to have it in our one horse town.

54. September 4, 2012 / 7:43 pm

Hi Adrienne, thanks for your reply about Catherine. I hope that she is well and look forward to the return of her blog.

55. September 4, 2012 / 7:55 pm

@Patricia Sure, Patricia. I hope she returns to blogging one of these days, too.

56. Anonymous
    September 4, 2012 / 9:59 pm

The cardigan is a great fit. Many pull when buttoned, and yours doesn’t at all. And others are frumpy, which yours isn’t. Perfection! And affordable! I kind of want one now.

And I don’t think there’s any way you could look like a “floozy” with the buttoned-up cardigan, pearls and wedges that still look relatively conservative.

VJB Cellars looks gorgeous, and I was so excited to visit… until I got to the part about the bird cage. That sorry sight breaks my heart and would kill any joy I might otherwise get from great coffee or wine. I am always amazed that bird lovers (or anyone) would want to stick a bird in a cage. The MOST amazing trait about birds, and their special defining trait, is that they can fly. They are meant to soar in the sky and the treetops. I almost weep every time I see such lovely creatures stuck in tiny cages where they sometimes don’t even have enough room to fly. Tragic. And sad that the business supports this. I’d never want my money to support this. I’ll visit the Cellars right after they liberate those poor birds to nature.