How I Wear My: Burgundy and Bordeaux

How I Wear My: Burgundy and Bordeaux

Fall is finally upon us and that has Jill of Everything Just So and me thinking of autumn colors, so for this month’s “How I Wear My” post we decided to focus on two of them, Burgundy and Bordeaux. Both seem poised to be big hits this season.

I decided to take photos of my burgundy look in a vineyard since this time of year the leaves are starting to turn shades of red, orange and yellow and the vines are heavy with dark, purple, and lusciously ripe fruit.

A friend of ours is getting close to harvesting his red wine varietals and mentioned that if we wanted any photos in his vineyards, we had better get over there quickly.

Bill offered to play photographer for me, so I hurriedly got dressed in a burgundy corduroy shirt dress that I bought over the summer at Goodwill and a pair of tall black boots.

This is yet another thrift store find of mine that had the tags still in tact. I paid $14.99. The dress is made by Coupe, not a brand I am familiar with. I searched around a little and found the company’s Facebook page, but that’s about it. Have you ever seen this brand before?

We headed over to the ranch in Bill’s pickup. I was feeling kinda country being in a pickup on a ranch and sat on his tool chest for a bit while we decided what section of the vineyards we wanted to use .

Once we started walking around in the rows, I couldn’t help but pluck a few grapes to taste.

The ranch grows several different varietals including Sauvignon Blanc, Zinfandel, and this varietal,

I accessorized my dress with a chunky gold necklace ($6.00 thrifted),
a big Guess? gold watch and a Ralph Lauren black woven belt.

Alicante Bouschet. A tasty grape and fun to say, but at its best when it’s turned into wine.

What I love about this vineyard is the ripe old age of the vines. Some look more like trees than grape vines. Most of them are taller than me!

This is a view of just part of the ranch. The rows of vines seem to go on forever.

Once we were finished with our photos, we stopped by to say our goodbyes and thank our friend. He gave us a huge box full of table grapes to take home with us. They are all delicious, but the green grapes are especially flavorful and sweet and came from a 100+ year-old grapevine.

For more burgundy and bordeaux looks, be sure to head over to Jill’s blog!

For November Jill and I will tip our hats to hats. So find your favorite chapeau and join us for “How I Wear My: Hat.” Send either of us a picture of yourself in your hat by November 1 and we will include you in our post on November 2.

1. October 2, 2012 / 4:15 am

Thanks for the visit to wine country, Adrienne. Perfect for thinking of burgundy.
    You look gorgeous in your dress!!

2. October 2, 2012 / 4:30 am

Burgundy is the colour that suits you best Adrienne!
    For next month HDIWM..in hats do you also include berets?

3. October 2, 2012 / 4:32 am

Wonderful photos – I feel like I was there too. Great dress and color on you.

4. October 2, 2012 / 4:46 am

You look smashing Adrienne! I was surprised to learn that wine grapes actually have a higher sugar content than table grapes. Those table grapes look delish; they’ve really been good this year.

5. October 2, 2012 / 5:02 am

Love the color of the dress and always like a simple lined shirt style dress. It’s perfect on you!

6. October 2, 2012 / 5:43 am

Perfect choice for wine country! Loving your style, landscape is beautiful!

7. October 2, 2012 / 5:43 am

Adrienne…you took a simple dress and make it look like something really special.
    I love the gorgeous bunches of grapes.

8. October 2, 2012 / 6:10 am

@Our French Inspired Home Thank you, Tonya! The grapes are so good….they’re not watery and sour like many you find at the market. It’s been so hot here lately (103 yesterday) cold grapes are the perfect treat.

9. October 2, 2012 / 6:12 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 Thank you, Pam. And thank you also for joining me and Jill this month for our one year anniversary of HIWM. I hope you’ll show us your hat for November – should be a fun post!

10. October 2, 2012 / 6:14 am

@lovesjetlag I was told at a young age that burgundy is the best color on me. That and olive green. I plan on wearing both colors often this fall and winter. I would love to have a burgundy winter coat…wouldn’t that be something?
    I adore your look – thank you so much for participating. I am coveting those great shoes of yours! Where did you find them?

And yes, berets are definitely included!

11. October 2, 2012 / 6:16 am

@Juhli I am glad I made you feel like you were there with me. Bill and I usually take the camera around to the vineyards this time of year to capture the grapes at their best. Who knew grapes could be so photogenic!

12. October 2, 2012 / 6:17 am

Oh I love seeing these vineyards! The pictures of the grapes are amazing, so crystal clear and well-lit. You are so lucky to be in wine country, lady! I really liked this burgundy/bordeaux roundup, and you look gorgeous my dear! XO, Jill

13. October 2, 2012 / 6:19 am

@Une Femme Yes, they do have a higher sugar content and a lower water content than table grapes. They sugar helps with the fermenting process.
    Most wine grapes don’t taste that great off the vine – the skins are thick and they had seeds. But these grapes were pretty good – especially the Alicante grapes.

14. October 2, 2012 / 6:22 am

@Diane Cayton-Hakey Thank you, Diane! What I like about this dress is the lack of a defined waistline. My waist is long – most dresses have waistlines that are closer to my armpits than my waist! I wish I had this dress in a few other colors. I would wear them all the time!

15. October 2, 2012 / 6:24 am

@gracefully50.com Thank you, Jeannie! And thank you also for participating. Your burgundy floral pants are so chic!

16. October 2, 2012 / 6:28 am

@GeeGee Hi GeeGee! Welcome!
    I do live in such a gorgeous part of the world. I have such appreciation for all the vineyards, hills, olive trees and lavender around here. I never tire of the beauty.

17. October 2, 2012 / 6:37 am

Love your post, probably because it focuses on wine grapes, but also love the shopping at second hand stores vibe. Also went to Jill’s page and it looks like you two have some fun ways to share. How does one participate ( I see no linky)??? Laurel

18. October 2, 2012 / 6:46 am

Delicious! You look wonderful in this color and I love the refined-country style of your new dress.

19. October 2, 2012 / 6:46 am

@Lisa Thank you, Lisa! It is a very simple dress but it has some cute detail, too. I probably should have mentioned that – oops!
    The cuffs fold up and are secured with buttons and they come to a point – sort of Robin Hood-looking.

I hope you’ll think about joining us in November for hats!

20. October 2, 2012 / 6:50 am

@jill815 Happy One Year, partner! I love this month’s group…so many lovely women.
    The grape photos turned out nicely. I think Bill has a promising future as an amateur photographer 🙂
    Looking forward to next month’s HIWM: Hat! With the hot weather we’re having around here, I may be wearing a sun hat!
    xo, A

21. October 2, 2012 / 7:32 am

What a great setting to show off your “bordeaux”…simply gorgeous! You found a lovely dress for fall and it is a good color on you. Does your Hermes scarf work with it or are the shades not compatible? Love the necklace with it though too. xo

22. October 2, 2012 / 1:37 pm

That dress is so cute. Looks great with that belt. I need one like that for my days.

23. October 2, 2012 / 2:01 pm

@Laurel’s Quill Jill and I do have lots of fun putting these posts together.
    Currently, we don’t have a link. Neither of us is very technical so we will probably keep doing things the way we have been until we start getting more than 12 to 15 participants.
    If you would like to be part of our hat post next month, just send us a photo of yourself in your hat and a brief description of it to one of us. Our emails are located on our profiles.
    I do hope you’ll join us in November!

24. October 2, 2012 / 2:07 pm

@Patti Thank you, Patti. I love that term — “refined-country style”!

25. October 2, 2012 / 2:08 pm

Burgundy is definitely one of your best colors, and looks beautiful with the gold. The vineyard is so pretty too.

26. October 2, 2012 / 2:20 pm

@vintagefrenchchic It does work but I think the beautiful burgundy of the scarf blends in too much with the dress. It looks better when worn with a contrasting color. I could tie it on a handbag but I am too worried it’ll get soiled or damaged that way.
    Thank you for joining in this month. Jill and I both are coveting your Koret bag!

27. October 2, 2012 / 2:22 pm

@Leigh Powell Hines Thank you, Leigh. It’s very comfortable – I have a feeling I’ll be wearing it often this fall, if the weather ever cools down, that is!

28. October 2, 2012 / 2:27 pm

@Kathy Leeds It is one of my best colors. What does that make me in regards to the color seasons, I wonder. I must be an Autumn.
    The vineyard is one of the prettiest around….I prefer the mature vineyards.

29. October 2, 2012 / 6:57 pm

I love that picture of you in the back of the truck! The dress looks great on you.

I’ve never seen such huge grape vines. They must be very, very old!

30. October 2, 2012 / 9:11 pm

The shirtdress looks gorgeous on you, it’s a perfect fit!

31. October 2, 2012 / 9:21 pm

Love that shirtdress Adrienne! The necklace is a find too. This looks like a beautiful vineyard. I just love seeing all the pretty places up there!
    Have a good week!
    Kim

32. October 3, 2012 / 1:41 am

Dear Adri,
    I bought those shoes at the shoe shop in Frascati many years ago at a sale, they are very dainty and durable!

33. October 3, 2012 / 3:52 pm

I don’t think there is anything you put on that doesn’t look fabulous on you. The color of the dress is just beautiful on you. Love the boots!

34. October 3, 2012 / 9:04 pm

Sonoma is a little piece of heaven this time of year.

I like the stylish Goodwill find –lovely color and very becoming on you.

35. October 3, 2012 / 11:18 pm

Hi Adrienne! Thank you for co-hosting the Burgundy series with Jill.
    You look gorgeous in your dress and the vineyard is soooo fresh!
    Love,

Hang

36. October 4, 2012 / 6:22 am

@LRS4AMANDA Bill asked me why no one commented about the truck and how awesome it is….he reads everyone’s comments, you know. He’s so funny and so proud of that truck!

The vines are probably over 100 years old. I have never seen them that tall before. We have a lot of old vines around here, maybe you recall seeing some? Usually when they’re old, they have huge trunks but are kept rather short. These vines are left to grow nice and tall. This is probably more info than you ever wanted to know about old grave vines 🙂
    xo, A

37. October 4, 2012 / 6:40 am

@Sara Louise It is a perfect fit which is really weird because nothing I buy is ever a perfect fit! My seamstress and I see each other often 🙂

38. October 4, 2012 / 6:41 am

@kim at northerncalstyle. I love that necklace. It’s the ideal length and “chunk” for me. I am going to wear it to a wedding this weekend. It’s the best $6 I have ever spent!

39. October 4, 2012 / 6:46 am

@[email protected] Thank you, Debbi! You are so kind. I love my boots too. They are very old and still my favorite tall boot.

40. October 4, 2012 / 6:49 am

@Christine It is a little piece of heaven….fall in the wine country is gorgeous.

That dress is one of my all-time favorite Goodwill finds. I plan in wearing it often this fall and winter….as soon as the weather turns (tapping fingers).

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment, Christine!

41. October 4, 2012 / 6:50 am

@Hang T. Tran Hi Hang! Thank you for participating in our HIWM again. I always love seeing what you wear for our series. I hope you’ll show us what sort of hat you’ll wear for November!

42. October 8, 2012 / 4:02 am

That colour red is one of my favourites! I love teaming it with black. love looking at the grapes, they are gorgeous. Is it true tat they don’t taste all that good straight from the vine?