Napa Valley Escape

Napa Valley Escape

I’ve been itching to share some highlights from our 30-hour Napa Valley escape earlier this week with you!

Our first stop was Round Pond Estate.

Located in Rutherford, a small community in Napa Valley, Round Pond Estate is an exquisitely chic and contemporary property located in Rutherford in the Napa Valley.

My husband and I tasted their exceptional wines before we headed across the road to their olive oil mill, also located on their 350+ acre estate.

I mentioned our olive oil tasting and tour briefly in Monday’s post. What I didn’t tell you about is the actual tasting process. After our tour guide, Ann, led us through the intricate process of making olive oil, we got the chance to taste their oils and their vinegars.

We tasted an Italian blend of five olive cultivars, three infused oils, a Spanish blend of three cultivars, and a Meyer lemon and a Blood Orange oil.

These goodies make great gifts.
I bought garlic olive oil and Merlot Cabernet vinegar.

We sniffed, sipped, and slurped the olive oil while Ann explained the different characteristics of each.

When it came time to taste the estate vinegars, we were instructed to pour a small amount of vinegar over a sugar cube, then pick up the sugar and suck the vinegar out. That way the fruit in the vinegar is tasted rather than the acidic flavors.

After our interesting, tasty and educations olive oil tasting, we checked into Harvest Inn. I was there to write a story about their fantastic ‘Tastes and Sips’ package, available in January.

What a gorgeous property! This the Manor building, where our room was.

Harvest Inn was built in 1978 in the style of an English country lodge. They are 356 redwood trees enveloping the property along with rose gardens, ivy, azaleas, bamboo, and lush lawns.

The inn was purchased by a San Francisco entrepreneur several years ago. Since then, the inn has been steadily renovated with many luxurious amenities.

Our Spa Vineyard Suite room was spacious and the view off our patio of an expansive vineyard and the Mayacamas mountains beyond it was spectacular.

On our lovely patio was a hot tub!

Our suite also had a newly renovated bathroom with a luxurious shower, and a comfortable desk area with easy to access wi-fi.

The dogs were welcomed with treats and comfy dog beds.

The tall king-sized bed had a Mission-style frame, gorgeous leaded glass window and fluffy, feather-down bedding.

It was hard to leave such a beautiful room – truth be told, I wanted to move in – but a girl’s got to eat! We dined at Tra Vigne, just a short drive from Harvest Inn.

I wore a black T-shirt, boyfriend jean, a new pair of sparkly shoes

and a secondhand brocade duster I bought at my favorite consignment shop for $30.00.

We stuffed ourselves silly with Mozzarella Al Minuto, short ribs over polenta, and black truffle pizza.

It was quite a feast!

After dinner, we returned to our room, took a hot tub, had a fire in the fireplace, then went off to dreamland in our plush bed. It was divine.

All that in one day!
I’ll tell you about day two in my next post.

Happy Friday, friends!

Disclosure: My thanks to Harvest Inn for sponsoring our stay and to Round Pond Estate for sponsoring our olive oil mill tour. Food costs were our own and opinions about my travels are my own.

1. November 30, 2012 / 4:37 am

What a beautiful place to visit!

=)

Brooke

2. November 30, 2012 / 4:39 am

You certainly did fit a lot into one day and all of it really lovely! The surroundings are gorgeous and I like your coat – I have something similar which I call my “Queen coat” as it reminds me of something I would have thought only the Queen would wear 😉 Have a lovely weekend xo

3. November 30, 2012 / 5:22 am

It looks and sounds wonderful!!!

4. November 30, 2012 / 5:24 am

The bedroom is exquisite! And how lovely that the doggies are welcomed, too. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous pics.

5. November 30, 2012 / 5:27 am

What an inviting looking place. I love the photos of it.
    Interesting about sucking the vinegar through a sugar cube, to get beyond the acidic part, and really taste the fruit.
    I adore your dinner outfit. Very very cool. xo

6. November 30, 2012 / 5:28 am

I would love to do an olive oil tasting! This looks like such a great outing. And I love the shoes and duster…would wear those in a heartbeat! have a great weekend, Adrienne!

7. November 30, 2012 / 6:37 am

What a great way to spend a few days! I do appreciate that the Inn is pet friendly…that’s a big selling point for me when we travel.

Gorgeous outfit! You look sensational!

8. November 30, 2012 / 6:50 am

This would have been a perfect day for me – and you can take your little dogs as well! It sounds and looks like a gorgeous place. I love your outfit,especially the sparkly shoes!!

9. November 30, 2012 / 7:57 am

This was such an interesting post! The landscape looks absolutely spectacular, and the Inn where you stayed is beautiful. As always I love any and all photos of Daisy and Coco, they are just Too Cute!!

10. November 30, 2012 / 10:51 am

Lovely! I would enjoy visiting Napa some day. And how wonderful that you got to bring your girls with you on this excursion. Looks like a lot of fun!

11. November 30, 2012 / 11:07 am

Looks like a wonderful stay! The shot of the vineyard from your room is beautiful. I think the next time we visit Sonoma it will be in November! And I’ve heard it’s way less crowded than October.

Tony and I ate lunch at the Tra Vigne Pizzeria when we stopped in St. Helena last year. 🙂 But probably the actual restaurant would have been a better choice.

Cute outfit!

12. November 30, 2012 / 12:51 pm

Love that Mission style bed and your shoes are so pretty and fun!
    There must be quite an art to testing and tasting wines and vinegars. I have little experience in these areas and have often wondered how one choose an exceptional wine based on one sip.

13. November 30, 2012 / 1:58 pm

@Mademoiselle Poirot I do feel rather regal in that coat. I find it hard to believe someone would want to part with it. Not only is it beautiful, but brocade is quite stylish at the moment. I plan on wearing it often.
    Have a lovely weekend,

14. November 30, 2012 / 1:59 pm

@Donna It was wonderful…the hotel is a wonderful place to stay and I could eat a meal at Tra Vigne everyday!

15. November 30, 2012 / 2:01 pm

@Patti It’s becoming more and more common for hotel’s to take dogs. Sometimes they come with a lot of rules but at Harvest Inn, they trust their guests to be able to handle traveling with their pets and didn’t give us a long list of what’s not allowed.
    It really is a charming place that makes its guests feel special and appreciated.

16. November 30, 2012 / 2:01 pm

@Kathy I was surprised that we tasted vinegar that way. But I am glad we did because slurping vinegar sounds a little harsh on one’s throat!

17. November 30, 2012 / 2:06 pm

@Pam @ over50feeling40 Olive oil tasting is different to say the least! The first time I did it was at a local place where they have you slurp down oil out of tiny plastic cups. At Round Pond, we used special cups – warmed them in our hands, then sniffed a total of six times before tasting. And when we tasted, we coated our tongues with the oil, then sucked in air while swallowing. It takes a time or two to get it right!

18. November 30, 2012 / 2:08 pm

@gracefully50.com Pet friendly lodging is a huge selling point for me. Now that I am thinking about it, all the hotels my husband and I frequent on an annual or semi-annual basis are pet friendly. It just makes it so much nicer and easier to bring them alone for all the fun!

19. November 30, 2012 / 2:10 pm

@Sulky Kitten I am nutso about those shoes. I want to wear them all the time! We have a party to attend tomorrow evening and I want to wear them again…I find myself creating outfits around them instead of the other way around!

20. November 30, 2012 / 2:11 pm

@Gracie’s Mom They are too cute. I never tire of their adorableness. They are fun to bring along on trips. Both of them loved those big beds. I am thinking about getting them one to share for Christmas.

21. November 30, 2012 / 2:13 pm

@vintagefrenchchicIf you come out to visit Napa, please allow me the honor of showing you around! We can eat chocolate and cheese and drink some wine…it will be wonderful. I promise! xo

22. November 30, 2012 / 2:15 pm

@LRS4AMANDA I have never eaten at the pizzeria. But I want to one of these days.
    November is a great month around here. The vineyards are colorful and the crowds are mostly gone. The weather can be wet like it is today or it can be glorious like it was earlier this week.

I do hope you’ll plan another trip our way….it would be fun to get together again.
    xo, A

23. November 30, 2012 / 2:20 pm

@hostess of the humble bungalow Everyone’s palate is different and it’s up to the individual to decide what she likes and doesn’t like. There isn’t really any wrong answer.
    After tasting olive oil the way I did several days ago, I feel like I know so much more yet I still have so much more to learn. Tasting wine, vinegar, oil….it’s mostly learned by doing. Of course it helps to have someone very skilled in that area, like we did, helping you identify flavors and telling you how to maximize your tasting.

24. November 30, 2012 / 9:04 pm

What a wonderful trip! I was able to visit some places near there back in 2001 I believe it was. Boy, how time flies.
    Beautiful jacket you’re wearing!

25. December 1, 2012 / 6:50 am

Adrienne, I adore the brocade duster. Love the way you styled it. Its one of those classic pieces you can have forever and so versatile.

Glad you had a wonderful visit. Your hotel room was beautiful. Thanks for sharing all the lovelies.

26. December 1, 2012 / 7:42 am

Love to visit both these places. Love that brocade duster with your shoes!

So nice you could bring you pups too!
    Kim

27. December 1, 2012 / 8:14 am

@Joni Time does fly, that’s for sure. Although a lot has changed since 2001, many things have stayed the same in Napa Valley. Harvest Inn and Tra Vigne both have been around for decades.
    I am crazy about my new brocade duster. I want to wear it again this weekend but I am afraid the wet weather won’t allow for that.

28. December 1, 2012 / 8:16 am

@Lisa Thank you, Lisa! I also think I will have the duster for a long time to come. I can wear it with jeans or dress it up with a dress or skirt. It’s lightweight enough to wear almost year round.

29. December 1, 2012 / 8:18 am

@kim at northerncalstyle. Bringing the girls along is a big plus when traveling and staying at hotels. Thankfully, they are well behaved and small. I can’t say the same about our Golden Retriever and Lab. They would eat those little dog beds for lunch.

30. December 1, 2012 / 11:12 am

First off – I love the brocade jacket (so Mad Men!) and the shoes!

Thanks for posting about your travels, I love reading about places not many people know about and noting all the details which make for an interesting and varied experience.

31. December 1, 2012 / 1:38 pm

Hi Adrienne,
    I ended up commenting on your Napa Valley Getaway from 2011-loved it as well. We definitely enjoy many of the same places in both Napa and Sonoma Valleys. Thanks for the tour and Roundhill is looking like a must for our next visit. We stayed at the Harvest in just a year ago around Thanksgiving. Lovely spot.
    I always enjoy your blog.
    Cheers, Heather

32. December 1, 2012 / 1:40 pm

PS-We loved French Blue in St. Helena last month. Perfect place for an amazing evening! Cheers, Heather

33. December 2, 2012 / 12:57 am

I love those shoes… and I love your blog I will travel to napa I already have it on my bucket list!!!!

Besos from México!

34. December 2, 2012 / 8:11 am

Such a lovely spot Adrienne! It’s good to know they allow pets. We frequently travel with our dogs and I’m always surprised at the large number of resorts that have a pet friendly section.

Your day sounds wonderful and they weather looks perfect. Sounds like you enjoyed all the best to be had with regards to food. Yum!

leslie