Silk Scarf Winner, Inexpensive Jeans and Shoes and a Peel

Silk Scarf Winner, Inexpensive Jeans and Shoes and a Peel

First things first….

The winner of the WomensClothingToday silk scarf give away is Barbara, also known as “lovesjetlag”!

Barbara, I am so happy to be sending this lovely scarf along to you in Italy. I know it will look gorgeous on you. Congratulations!

Remember that WomensClothingToday.com is still having its sale. There are lots of deep discounts available on gorgeous handpainted silk scarves and other items.Now is a great time to purchase that scarf you’ve had your eye on!

*********************************************
I am floored by the response to my last post! So many great comments. I enjoyed reading what things you would add to the list.Many of you mentioned that would have added footwear and denim to the list of 10 things worth the splurge. And I can see why you would.

If you’re on your feet all day you may need to splurge on quality shoes that won’t bang up your feet. Or perhaps you can’t feel well-dressed without a pair of Louboutin’s to complete your look.

And what if the only jeans you have found that flatter your figure and make you feel your best are say, J Brand at around $225?

If that’s the case, and you can afford the splurge, then I say do it!

But for my list, I left footwear and denim off for a few reasons.

Many years ago, I used to splurge on shoes all the time because size 11s were so hard to find. If I found a pair I liked, I would buy it no matter what the price.

But thanks to online shoe shopping, I can search through thousands of pairs of pumps, flats, sandals and boots by price, size, color and style. And I often can read lots of detailed reviews so I get an idea of the fit and quality.

I have found several pairs of shoes that I wear often, don’t break the bank, are comfortable and make me feel put together such as a great pair of burgundy Vaneli’s, my favorite sparkly holiday shoes, a fun pair of Ivanka Trump cheetah flats and my cognac Born oxfords. Each pair was well below $100.

Ivanka Trump shoes, about $70.00

I find I have no problem looking well-dressed in shoes that don’t put a big dent in my bank account.

As far as denim goes, I think there are many more fashionable choices at reasonable prices than there used to be ten years ago, back when I used to splurge on designer jeans like Sevens, Kasil and Citizens.

I am partial to Gap for their long inseams but there are many other retailers carrying great looking jeans in a variety of styles and colors. The other day I was shopping at Macy’s and came across a pair of Else skinny jeans in teal.

I had never heard of Else, have you? They fit great and they’re nice and long. I wore my new jeans with a Zara coat from two years ago, a decade old C & C California turtleneck, J. Crew leopard belt and Calvin Klein pumps that were just $69.00.

These jeans were on sale for just $30.00 and with my store coupon, they were only $20.00.

Denim and footwear are not things I typically splurge on. Once in a while I will find a pair of designer jeans that are flattering enough that I am willing to pay a bit more for them. Or I will come across a pair of fabulous shoes worth a good splurge but generally, I can still look well put together in lower priced shoes and jeans.

But that’s just me!

Everyone shops differently and all of us have different wardrobe needs, lifestyles and tastes. I think it’s fun and quite interesting to see what’s on everyone else puts on their splurge list!

******************************************

Last Thursday, I went to a new-to-me skin care clinic for a facial. It’s been so long since I have had one. The last time was November….2011!

I was expecting a traditional facial with the soothing application of creams, cleansers, exfoliant and toners, followed by a heavy does of steam, a pore extraction and ending with a lovely face massage.

Instead, I spoke with the esthetician for the first 15 minutes about the products I use and my multitude of skincare concerns from fine lines to dark spots.

After our discussion, we decided that a peel would be the best treatment for my skin. No face massage for me. I had a stinging concoction of chemicals sit on my face for several minutes, then I was done.

I had a Vitalize Peel by Skin Medica and peel I did! Just yesterday, my face started to no longer look like a reptile shedding its skin.

My shedding was much messier than this gal’s.

What’s been revealed is brighter, smoother, and more supple skin. I love it now but it wasn’t easy shedding that skin for several days. I stayed indoors a lot.

Maybe the days of long, gentle and soothing facials are over for me. I’m starting to think that at my age, I might be better off spending my skincare money on services that are more effective, preventive and combative even if they do make me look reptilian for a few days.

What are your thoughts?
Are you enjoying traditional European facials?
Or have you graduated to more serious and involved skin treatments like peels?

1. January 16, 2013 / 7:02 am

I love the Zara Coat…just had to start there…and I also love getting facials…the peels are wonderful and I find if I get a professional one at least once a year, it makes such a difference!! Congratulations to your scarf winner…it is a beautiful scarf!

2. January 16, 2013 / 7:03 am

ITA – Ive had more compliments on my 20 Walmart jeans than any of the expensive ones I own. Men stare and women ask me where I got them…its just about finding the right fit regardless of how much or little they cost.

We all know I am a shoe addict…I get most of mine at ON and Payless and again…loads of compliments. Remember the Van Cleef woman gushing over my 20.00 little gold shoes from the childrens dept??

3. January 16, 2013 / 7:15 am

I’m too scared to have peels or anything more than a “stroking and soothing” facial, but I use a great oil on my face every day… That Zara coat looks amazing. I have found Levis to be fantastic without breaking the bank. xo

4. January 16, 2013 / 7:26 am

I’m a little scared to have a peel, too, but occasionally do my own facial with honey or oatmeal. I’m pretty low maintenance!

I recently thrifted some Levi’s that I really like, so that was a treat, without splurging!

5. January 16, 2013 / 7:44 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 I agree Pam. I think it’s a great idea to slough off that dead skin once a year or even every 6 months.
    I really love my Zara coat. It’s an easy thing to throw on to make basic jeans and solid top more interesting.

6. January 16, 2013 / 7:52 am

thanks, thanks, thanks! I’m so elated! I never won anything except for a ball pen at the contest held by the Mickey Mouse magazine for kids when I was 8 yo!!! Thanks again! Bih hug to you Adrienne!

7. January 16, 2013 / 8:01 am

You look fabulous..love the accent of the belt in leopard:)
    I am a hybrid when it comes to jeans..I have a few expensive pairs but also love the Old Navy Rockstar…and you are right, there are alot of great inexpensive options out there doing a great job w fit and style!
    Happy Wednesday.
    C

8. January 16, 2013 / 8:26 am

@Suburban Princess You’re right, SP, it is all about the fit.
    I tried Not Your Daughter’s Jeans last week and they fit me horribly – baggy, bulging in weird places, too high in the waist. They may look great on someone else, but for me these $20 Else jeans fit much, much better than the $130 NYDJs.

I do remember the story about the woman in Van Cleef who loved your little gold shoes. I bet she was so shocked!

9. January 16, 2013 / 8:28 am

My skin is too sensitive to have a peel so i use derma e microdermabrasion granules once a week and apply very carefully then I slather moisturizer over top.
    I do love a facial but i like the relaxation massaging type.
    Have you ever had a lPL laser treatment? They are very popular here for us over 50’s women.

10. January 16, 2013 / 8:31 am

@Mademoiselle Poirot I wish I could wear Levi’s – too short for me. In high school, I had a pair of 501s that I wore to tatters!

I admit I was a little fearful of having a weird reaction to the chemical peel. But all went the way it was supposed to go and I am happy with the results. Would still love a good face massage though 🙂

11. January 16, 2013 / 8:34 am

Hi Adrienne. Love the Zara coat; it suits you well.
    Congrats to the winner of that gorgeous scarf!
    And the Ivanka shoes……..wow. Have a wonderful week.

12. January 16, 2013 / 8:37 am

@Val Sparkle Great Levi’s find. You’re making me want to go thrifting today, Val! I haven’t been in so long.

I have some brown spots on my face that drive me nuts – that was the main reason I did the peel. The spots are still there but they seem a little lighter so will be easier to cover up with makeup. I think I need to just get over my dislike of the spots unless I want to go the laser route which I am not sure I am ready for! Scary to me and expensive.

13. January 16, 2013 / 8:59 am

@lovesjetlag It makes me smile to read that you are so excited. I have already emailed your info to my WomensClothingToday contact.
    I hope you enjoy your Sun Music 2 scarf as much as I do. Now we can be scarf sisters!
    Big, big hugs back to you, Barbara!

14. January 16, 2013 / 9:02 am

@Carly Hi Carly!

I don’t know how I dressed myself before finding that belt. I wear it so often.
    I am a hybrid too. I have some Joe’s jeans that fit me well, but the vast majority of my denim comes from Gap.

Thank you for stopping by!

15. January 16, 2013 / 9:10 am

@Lisa Thanks, Lisa! The Zara coat was a birthday present from my husband a couple of years back. I wear it all the time.
    Have a great day, Lisa!

16. January 16, 2013 / 9:19 am

Great outfit,the jeans were a lucky find. You wear colour so well. I am tempted by the idea of a peel, I eventually bought a Clarisonic and am enjoying using that. I recently bought some Levi skinnies and they look great with boots – I haven’t worn Levis for years but I love them all over again.

17. January 16, 2013 / 9:23 am

@Sulky Kitten Hi SK,

Levi’s seem to the theme for the day in the comment section. I think you are the third person to mention wearing them. I wish they came in longer inseams for me. My husband wears them often.

I like the peel – if nothing else, it was great to have that layer of dead skin come off. Aside from wanting to hide my face and keep out of the sun for fear of burning, it wasn’t that bad.
    I have a Clarisonic too – which is why I haven’t really needed a facial in over a year. It does a good job of scrubbing off that surface layer of dead skin but the peel goes deeper.

18. January 16, 2013 / 9:35 am

Adrienne! I loved your last post so much! I like to invest in nice shoes because I prefer to resole mine (maybe I mentioned that…anyway) But best part about shopping for me is looking for deals at discount stores. I try not to buy anything full price.

I have honestly NEVER had a single skin care treatment in my life… But I am very interested in the topic so I enjoy hearing about your adventures.

-Nico

www.SatinAndSalt.com

19. January 16, 2013 / 10:06 am

@Nico Saich You know, when I used to buy expensive shoes back in my 20’s I would get the sole redone. Forgot about that!
    I find that I don’t wear them out like I used to when I lived in San Francisco – I used to walk much more, especially in dress shoes.

I also try not to pay full price for most things…only the stuff on my 10 things list!

20. January 16, 2013 / 10:27 am

I prefer a traditional European facial, because here the beauticians are not so reliable and I’d be afraid they would damage my already very sensitive skin…here in Italy in order to have a good job done you should go to a very expensive salon or spa, not the next door one unless you live on the Spanish Steps in Rome, that area is full of great spas…as for jeans I love a brand named Incotex, do you have in the US?

21. January 16, 2013 / 11:04 am

No peels for me, I love the gentle facial massages, it’s such a relaxing luxury. I am a definite Levi’s girl and have been for 40 years. I have other pairs but those are my fave. xxoo

22. January 16, 2013 / 11:44 am

@lovesjetlag I once had someone damage my face about 12 years ago. She tried to get what she thought was a clogged pore unclogged and created a dark pigmented scar with all her squeezing and picking. Turns out it was just a little freckle! I will never forget that because I still notice it to this day.
    The clinic where I went is part of a well-known plastic surgery group so I trusted my esthetician to know what was best for me. I don’t think there are many I would trust to do a peel.

I have not heard of Incotex but that doesn’t mean they they aren’t sold in the US. I will google that name and see what I come up with.

23. January 16, 2013 / 11:46 am

@lovesjetlag Found lots of Incotex pants and jeans on this site:

Not bad prices…but there are no inseam lengths listed. Do you know if they run long? They don’t appear to, but who knows?

24. January 16, 2013 / 11:50 am

@Cathi Facials are such a relaxing luxury and I suppose I could still get them it’s just that I want a facial treatment to really do something if I am going to spend the money. But those soothing facials are hard to deny oneself!

Another Levi’s lover! I am feeling a bit left out 😉

25. January 16, 2013 / 12:26 pm

That coat is stunning.

I can’t get any kind of peels as my skin is too sensitive. I would like to get some laser treatments though.

bisous
    Suzanne

26. Oooh! the peel sounds painful. I’ve never had a peel as I’ve heard they can be quite painful; I’m a chicken. I’m still enjoying European style facials + trying more natural/organic types when I see them.

27. January 16, 2013 / 1:04 pm

I usually do spend more on my jeans mainly because of my longer legs and I like the way Joe’s or David Kahn jeans fit me. (although I scored a pair of David Kahn jeans in good condition last year on ebay for $35) But I am giving a pair of Banana Republic jeans a try based on your prior recommendation! Just ordered them today. 🙂

Believe it or not I’ve never had a facial because I do want anyone to see my crappy skin up close! (yes, I’m silly) I know that a facial or peel would probably help me though…but in the meantime I will just use my Clarisonic.

28. January 16, 2013 / 1:13 pm

hey! i just found your blog – I want EVERYTHING in your last outfit there…that is so, sooo classy and stylish. Love it!!

29. January 16, 2013 / 1:47 pm

Your outfit looks great and those teal jeans are great for any price, but amazing at $20. I googled what jeans Emmanuelle Alt wears, and found out that her favorites are Topshop, which are $80 a pair! It’s all about finding which jeans fit your body the best I guess.
    I don’t spend any money on facials anymore, as I’d rather save for treatments such as a peel or laser which really improve the texture and tightness of my skin, long term. I think IPL is excellent for brown sun damage spots, as are certain types of targeted lasers. Don’t really feel that plain facials do a thing at my age, although they were useful when I was much younger and had break outs, clogged pores etc.
    And congratulations to the winner of that beautiful scarf.

30. January 16, 2013 / 4:11 pm

Oh, the Ivanka Trump shoes are yummy!
    I’ve never had a professional peel, but I think I shall look into it. That lizard looks very youthful : >

31. January 17, 2013 / 8:25 am

Adrienne, the jeans look fantastic- I agree the NYDJ are very high waisted and I think only for peeps like me who never tuck a shirt in. I believe that if you can tuck a shirt in, and not have an overhang, then you probably don’t need the tummy flatteners in those jeans! I am too scared to have a peel, I have pretty sensitive skin and have a hard time with stinging, it makes me want to scratch my face off. Did you need to take some sort of antihistamine to prevent a bad reaction? If I even squeeze something I get a swollen lump from my histamine response. My Gp is actually the president of the cosmetic physicians here in Australia, she is so fantastic. She does all of those things mentioned in the comments plus more, but for me, for now, I am on a morning and night regime of serums and creams (some she has developed herself and Neostrata )- including Vit C and retinols. They are absolutely wonderful and my skin looks and feels really great. I used to have a very small crease between my eyes, and now it is completely gone and all pigmentation is also gone- how good is that! I am really happy with how my skin is cruising along at the moment. For me it is all about a little often, having a constant turnover of skin. But I must say that I love those baby feet peels, have you used them? Talk about horrendous peeling skin -it is thick peeling away of that horrid heel skin at its best!! In other exciting news, we have a new big dog coming on the weekend, husband is off to Sydney to collect him tomorrow, He’s 7 months old and from the Guard dog training centre, He is ready to start work. I hope he fits in with the wee ones, I am sure he will, we have been assured that he has been running with all sorts of dogs and livestock, plus at 7 months he is still a baby so should mesh well. Fingers crossed.

32. January 17, 2013 / 10:49 am

I agree – clothes are all about the fit. I do favour JBrand Jeans now, they were the first jeans I ever bought that actually fit me properly and the difference is amazing.

I tend to spend more on boots (I just shelled out $$ for La Canadienne boots which I LOVE – this is my second day wearing them at work, and they fit like a glove, look/feel fantastic. So worth the money!)

I love my Dooney & Bourke everyday handbag, I bought it over a year ago and it still looks new.

Other things – scarves, some jewelry, hats – I don’t spend very much on…I have a mix of things and try to switch it up.

You are so brave to get the peel done, I always think of Samantha from SATC when she got the peel done that went awry and think ‘nope’! lol I do need to go for a facial though. It’s that time.

33. January 17, 2013 / 3:31 pm

Love this post and the previous. I’m late commenting, it’s been so crazy, but I totally am with you on all your suggestions! I think I spend on all the same things you do including the European bras! I agree also about very expensive shoes! They seem like a waste to me and I honestly can’t tell the difference between a $100 and a $600 pair.

Your coats are both lovely. I adore your Burberry! You won’t regret it. It looks fabulous on you- the color, fit. It’s all perfect. I didn’t know you have a Mulberry Bag. That’s on my wish list too.

Fun post.
    Have a great weekend!!

xx
    Kim

34. January 17, 2013 / 3:50 pm

You look amazing! Love…love…LOVE those shoes! 😉

35. January 18, 2013 / 6:03 am

I love those teal jeans on you, especially paired with that peacoat! Divine! You know, I’ve never had a facial at all. Ever! I have had very few beauty services in my life besides manicures and, of course, haircuts. Maybe I should spring for a facial this year. Hmm… You gave me something to think about! XO, Jill