How I Wear My: Date Night Outfit

With February being the month of Valentine’s Day, Jill of Everything Just So and I thought it was a good time to devote a “How I Wear My” post to a Date Night Look.

There hasn’t been time for any date nights around here lately, but we do have plans for Valentine’s Day next week and I want to look my best for my one and only.

I picked this dress to wear on our date night. It’s by Diane von Furstenburg…

and I bought it in 1998 to wear to a firemen’s ball where I first laid eyes on Bill.

Although we started dating Christmas Eve, 1998 when we were officially introduced at a dinner party thrown by Bill’s best friend, the first time I saw him was several weeks earlier at the ball on November 16th.

I went with a date, someone I saw casually. The two of us stopped by a friend’s home before the ball began for a cocktail party.

As I was sipping a glass of wine and noshing on appetizers in the foyer, the door opened and in marched five firefighters, one by one, all in tuxedos. Since I was standing closest to the entry, I was the first person they greeted.

Each man shook my hand and introduced himself, then moved on to the next person. When my future husband walked through the door, it was pretty much game over for me. Tall, brawny and handsome he smiled, said, “Hi, I’m Bill” and put his enormous warm hand in mine. I looked into his bright blue eyes and just about melted right into the Persian rug.

During the ball I spent most of the evening monitoring his whereabouts and being a not-so-great companion to my date.

Somehow I must’ve known that night Bill and I would be together eventually because when an acquaintance of mine mentioned her interest in him I told her half-jokingly, “Back off. He’s mine!”

And I was right!

While writing this post last night, I asked Bill what he was thinking about me that night. Wouldn’t you know that he doesn’t even remember meeting me. He considers Christmas Eve at his friend’s home the first time we met.

So maybe love at first sight can be one-sided and still work out?

For all these many years I have kept this dress in my closet. It fits like a glove. But I can only wear it if my weight is just right!

It came with a shrug that is great to put on when it’s cool.

On Valentine’s Day I’m wearing it simply, like I do here, with pointy-toed black pumps (Calvin Klein) and a thrifted rhinestone choker.

With its classic style and high quality, I plan on keeping this dress around for another decade or two!

It’s probably not news to you that Pantone has declared Emerald the color for 2013. While we like that shade we are checking our closets for any tone of that quintessential spring color.

Please join us next month for “How I Wear My: Green.” Send a picture to Jill or me by March 5, 2013.

From Olive to Apple, from Peridot to Kelly, all shades of green and all readers are welcome!

There are fantastic HIWM: Date Night Outfits featured on Jill’s blog.
Go take a peak!

1. February 5, 2013 / 4:39 am

Adrienne, this is such a cute story of how you met and love the part about when you two made eye contact. This dress looks amazing on you and I think you should keep it more than a decade, keep it forever. 🙂

Love your idea for the ‘How I Wear My Green in March’ too.

xoDale
    www.savvyspice.com

2. February 5, 2013 / 5:05 am

I love hearing how couples first met and what their reactions were! I’m sure he was just as smitten with you, because you look fantastic in that dress. I love the length of it and you can accessorise it a million different ways. It will always hold special memories for you.

3. February 5, 2013 / 5:40 am

Great story and this dress is fierce…I bet Bill likes it!! Thanks for hosting these link ups!!

4. February 5, 2013 / 5:53 am

Ahh I love such romantic stories especially yours. I like the fact that you still wear the dress years later. It has a history, like the ancient buildings of Rome;)

5. February 5, 2013 / 6:51 am

I too, love hearing how couples met, and what a romantic story you and Bill have. The dress looks amazing on you, and it’s so classic. Of course, I’d love it with your short leopard coat too!

6. February 5, 2013 / 6:57 am

@Dale Janeé Hi Dale! So great to hear from you.
    It is definitely a dress I will keep longterm. As long as there is a chance that I can fit into it and have a place to wear it once in a while.

I would LOVE for you to join us next month for Green. My guess is you have something gorgeously green in your closet to show us.

Hope all is well! xoxo

7. February 5, 2013 / 6:58 am

You rock, Adrienne. This dress seems to have been made for you! Also, I really enjoyed reading about the first time you met your hubby. And ode to him! He too was obviously made for you…
    I wish both of you many more years of happiness!
    Cheers,
    Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

8. February 5, 2013 / 7:17 am

Love the dress, love the story! Oh my God, so romantic, I’m dying! You look gorgeous as usual, what a great DVF dress that is! XO, Jill

9. February 5, 2013 / 7:41 am

I love your description of how you met Bill!
    That dress is stunning.
    Yours is a very romantic story. I am a sucker for stories such as yours.

10. February 5, 2013 / 7:41 am

Wowzer! That dress is absolutely stunning on you! What a cute story about you and Bill : )

11. February 5, 2013 / 7:47 am

Adrienne~ I love this post for so many reasons. The story of how you met and then “re-met” your man is darling. I love your take on how love at first sight can be one sided and still work out (and very well as it turns out!). The LBD DVF is smashing on you and fits so perfectly. It is a timeless piece and the story behind it makes it even more special. You look fabulous! Here’s to a much deserved Valentine’s Day to you both. You deserve a little time for romance after all you’ve been through together. We’ll be in wine country for the weekend just after the 14th so I’ll be in touch to see if we can connect for a glass of wine.
    Xx, Heather

12. February 5, 2013 / 7:59 am

Love at first sight can, and does, work out even if it’s one sided. At least it did for me.
    You are so pretty and that dress is perfect on you. It’s simple and clean but very flattering You’re wearing it instead of it wearing you.

Spashionista (Alicia)

13. February 5, 2013 / 8:11 am

@Sulky Kitten Actually, he doesn’t recall meeting me that night. The upside is, he was all over me when we met again at his friend’s home Christmas Eve.
    I like the length too. It would be too revealing for my comfort level if it were shorter. A couple inches shorter would be fine, but beyond that, no thanks!

14. February 5, 2013 / 8:13 am

@Pam @ over50feeling40 Thank you for joining us, Pam!

Bill does love this dress. It’s a nice change for him from the boyfriend jeans I have been wearing lately. He detests them…but I love them so they stay.

15. February 5, 2013 / 8:18 am

@Suzanne Carillo Style Files Yes, Suzanne. You’re right.
    It’s proof, once again, that you get what you pay for. I spent about $300 on this dress in 1998 – a lot for me – but it’s still in excellent shape and current!

16. February 5, 2013 / 8:23 am

@Kathy I almost wore the leopard coat. In fact I had it on, then decided against it mainly because it hid the bodice too much for photos.
    It’ll probably be what I wear on Valentine’s Day – rather than the shrug – too add warmth, both physically and visually!
    xoxo

17. February 5, 2013 / 8:32 am

@playingwithscarves It was a long time ago but I do remember the sales woman at the boutique saying something similar. Finding a dress is very challenging with my height – the waist is almost always too high. But this dress fit me so well. Especially at that time when I was a bit thinner.

Thank you so very much for joining me and Jill this month. We love your sultry look and that added scarf is so playful!

18. February 5, 2013 / 8:36 am

@jill815
    Thanks Jill! I love your date night look too. The floral coat is stylish and feminine. Perfect for a night out on the town.
    I am already looking forward to HIWM Green next month. And guess what? We already have a submission!
    Off to great start.
    xoxo, A

19. February 5, 2013 / 8:38 am

@hostess of the humble bungalow It was sort of love at first sight…only it was just me who fell in love that night! He doesn’t remember meeting me that evening. Oh well, it all worked out in the end!

20. February 5, 2013 / 8:51 am

@Heather Lindstrom We have earned our night out, that is for sure. We tried to fit some “date” time in recently, but other things just keep getting in the way. We will have to wait until next Thursday.
    The feelings I had that night about Bill weren’t really excitement, though I was thrilled to meet him. It was more of a feeling of calm certainty. I don’t usually say obnoxious things like “Back off, he’s mine” but it was the truth! I just knew.
    I am SO looking forward to meeting you next weekend for a glass of wine. It will be so fun to meet up.
    xoxo, A

21. February 5, 2013 / 9:03 am

@spashionistareport One-sided love at first sight worked out for you too? It really is possible!

Thank you for your kind comments. I love the dress for many reasons but mostly for its memories and its simplicity.

22. February 5, 2013 / 9:53 am

I love your wonderful black dresses. So striking.

23. February 5, 2013 / 9:57 am

you look absolutely gorgeous in that dress and I am stunned that Bill didn’t chase you all around the room that night! You mustn’t have been giving out the right cues as you were there with another, Also Bill must have just been out for a big, fun night with the boys- as they do! They seem to have blinkers on when they are in that mode.

24. February 5, 2013 / 10:20 am

That’s such a cute story. You look fabulous in that dress. That’s definitely a keeper and classic.

xoxo,
    Carrie

25. February 5, 2013 / 10:31 am

Oh I loved hearing this story – that is so great! Your DVF dress rocks too. It looks like a version of a current dress of hers I saw on Nordstrom recently.

Hubs and I definitely remember where and when we met but we were friends first and didn’t start dating until later on. A few months after we met, I went to a club with my friend and one of her guy friends one night and Hubs happened to be there as well…but I never saw him! We were out on the dance floor and he was with friends on the top balcony and he spotted me down below, dancing. He saw the guy friend and thought he was my boyfriend and was so dejected! he he I never knew he was there that night until months later! 🙂

26. February 5, 2013 / 10:44 am

Va va voom on your dresses! They look great.

Your November 16th story gave me goosebumps–such a sweet story. I can’t believe Bill doesn’t remember you being there…I could cyber slap him. Just kidding…Hey, until just a few months ago my husband thought my eyes were brown. So much for noticing. xo

27. February 5, 2013 / 11:16 am

Gorgeous dress, Adrienne. I wouldn’t let go of it either. Thanks for sharing your how you met your hubby story – I love those!

28. February 5, 2013 / 11:47 am

love the story of how you guys met! I really adore this dress! Such a classy cut and it looks so sexy on you pretty lady! Thanks so much for the nice comment on my outfit post and pinning my photos! That was seriously so kind and thoughtful! I got that pretzel brooch at goodwill for 50 cents and I love it to pieces also!

-Nico

www.SatinAndSalt.com

29. February 5, 2013 / 3:04 pm

@Jodie aka Mummaducka’sKaos I think you hit the nail on the head, Jodie. Bill was out with the boys and he was friends with my date so he didn’t want to step on his toes. But he doesn’t even remember meeting me! I think it’s so funny being that it was such a huge moment for me. Oh well! It all worked out in the end.

30. February 5, 2013 / 3:05 pm

@Carrie Teal Thanks, Carrie! It is very classic…I never thought it was a dress I would have for so long!

31. February 5, 2013 / 4:07 pm

@LR @ Magnificent or Egregious What a cute story! Little did you know that your future one and only was watching you boogie down! I love “how we met” stories. They is always something interesting or funny or even odd about them!

32. February 5, 2013 / 4:12 pm

@vintagefrenchchic Oh my gosh! Really? He really did think your eyes were brown? I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that conversation!

After Bill and I had gotten serious enough that he penciled me into his phone book, I noticed he had used the wrong name!! Instead of Adrienne he wrote “Andrea”. Not really a spelling error, now is it? I asked him who “Andrea Taylor” was and he quickly remedied the situation.
    And I thought his last name was Schumann for the few dates until I saw his credit card receipt one night. Just getting to know each other I guess! But your eye color…now that one is hard to explain! 🙂

33. February 5, 2013 / 4:14 pm

@Lynne DeVenny Thanks! And thank you also for participating in HIWM! I hope you’ll come back again for Green next month.

34. February 5, 2013 / 4:19 pm

@Nico Saich Of course, Nico! I loved that post and wanted to share it with my fellow pinners. I wish I could find a pretzel pin for half a buck! Such a darling accessory.

35. February 5, 2013 / 6:33 pm

A great LBD and a classic and versatile style! Sometimes it definitely pays to hang onto things.

I remember the fireman’s ball story but didn’t realize (or forgot) you actually did not start dating until later! He must have been preoccupied with something to not have remembered meeting you!

The day I met my husband at the gym, he mentioned that he had seen me there before on a couple occasions but was unable to attract my attention. It wasn’t until I sat down on that machine right in front of him did he get up the nerve to strike up a conversation with me. I’m sure glad he did!

I love the picture of you and Bill. So sweet! 🙂

36. February 5, 2013 / 8:12 pm

You look so amazing.

37. February 5, 2013 / 10:54 pm

I just adore you in this dress Adrienne. I love that you’ve had it so long. The story is so cute about seeing BIll!
    You look terrific and your hair looks amazing right now too. Hope you guys have a fun date on Valentines!

Kim

38. February 6, 2013 / 10:02 am

Such a fun post Adrienne:) The dress is so pretty and flatters you. We all need a basic black dress!

leslie

39. February 6, 2013 / 10:42 pm

Ooh la la! Very sexy dress. Love it even more with the shrug. I have a couple of classic dresses I’ve had for a bit; you know that’s when you’ve gotten a great deal.

Love your story of meeting Bill. I met my hubby cute…
    I was working as a paramedic on a special event; stock car races. I had picked up a shift and I was unhappy about working the race! I just happened to see a police officer I knew and he was talking to this guy….
    I walked over to make a “smart” comment and tripped on a branch. As I fell forward, this guy caught me and stopped my fall. He was the guy the officer was talking to and ended up being my husband.

Have a wonderful date night, Adriennne.

40. February 7, 2013 / 11:08 am

@LRS4AMANDASounds like your husband was getting in some extra workouts so he could meet you! So healthy 🙂

I wouldn’t expect that you would remember that part of the story, in fact I am not sure I told you that one. We really only tell the Christmas Eve story as the one about how we met. Since Bill can’t remember the previous introduction. Oh well!

I look forward to seeing you soon!
    xoxo, A

41. February 7, 2013 / 11:13 am

@kim at northerncalstyle. Thank you, Kim. We are really looking forward to a night out. Hopefully I will still be able to fit into that dress come next Thursday. It doesn’t leave much wiggle room!

42. February 7, 2013 / 11:19 am

@Leslie Yes we do! And it’s even better if you have one that is well-made and classic enough to stay in your closet for over a decade.

43. February 7, 2013 / 11:22 am

@Lisa What a great story! I love it! Especially since you tripped – and I know how light on your feet you are being a dancer.
    My husband is also a paramedic. I have the utmost respect for your occupation.

44. March 4, 2013 / 9:00 am

I love the story- although I think I may have a weakness for firemen- something about that kind of brawn put to good use, like saving kitties, makes them hot, hot, hot.

I wondered in the past about love at first sight, but I’ve heard so many stories about people who’ve felt it. Mine was one sided too. Twice- same guy, two times, me one sided struck by lightening. All I can say, looking back, is that the benefit really was for him. He was lucky, I got so smitten. So there might be something to a one side l-a-f-s after all.

You look a vision of loverliness in that LBD. I bet he falls in love the second sight on up.