Corduroy, Combat Boots, and other things

Corduroy, Combat Boots, and other things

Spring is almost here in the Sonoma Valley. Friday it was 76 degrees out! Gorgeous weather we’ve been having, but I am not ready for warm, sunny spring days quite yet. I enjoy a bit of grey, cold, rainy weather and hope spring waits just a few more weeks.

I love wearing coats, sweaters, boots, scarves and gloves. And I want to wear these corduroys I bought last fall a few more times before they go into my winter storage closet.

So I’m in the “wear all my fall and winter clothes right now” mode because soon it will be time for linen, whites, sandals, cotton, pastels and shorts.

J. Crew cords, Gap sweater, Mulberry Bayswater handbag, J. Crew belt,
leather jacket from Italy, Ray-Ban aviators.

Speaking of boots, I bought myself some combat boots a few weeks ago. These La Canadienne Palimina boots, made in Montreal, are simple, gorgeous and so very well made.

Not only are they nice to look at, but they are comfortable, lightweight and weatherproof. And you have got to appreciate the side zipper that makes putting them on and taking them off a breeze.

They will be perfect for an upcoming trip I’m making to Paris. Cold, wet weather is expected and of course, miles upon miles of walking everyday. I can’t afford to have cold, wet and aching feet or worse, blisters.

I have been taking walks up and down my street with them the last week to get in walking shape and ferret out any potential blister issues. So far, so good.

The old flat iron, circa 2004, has been feeling left out amongst my very popular curling irons and hot rollers. I thought I’d take her out for a good flattening session.

What I like about flat ironing my hair is that it makes my subtle ombre more visible. But what I don’t like is it also makes my not-so-subtle split ends more visible, too. Yuck! Seeing them so clearly prompted me to schedule a haircut this week.

Do you use a flat iron or do you prefer curls and waves? I prefer the latter but flat is fun once in awhile, without the thousands of split ends.

On my many walks this week, I have come across the most beautiful flowers on my street. My neighbors really know how to make their yards colorful.

The hot pinkish red flowers on the left are my favorite. I did not enhance their color in the photo. They really are that vibrant. Does anyone know what that flower is called?

Is spring showing up in your neighborhood?
Are you ready to start dressing for warmer weather?
Or are you wearing your cold weather favorites for as long as you can?
And I am getting ready for How I Wear My: Green!
How about you?
You still have time to submit a photo of yourself wearing your green
to me or to Jill of Everything Just So.
The deadline is March 4th at 8:00 p.m. PST.

1. March 3, 2013 / 11:45 am

You look great in your green, it’s nice and subtle. I think green can be a tough color to wear, and I mostly stick with army green. The combat boots are perfect and will be not only great for Paris, but for years to come. Love the touch of leopard and cognac with the green too.
    I never know the names of any flowers – but they’re gorgeous.

2. March 3, 2013 / 12:15 pm

Great boots! I have to say that I’m thoroughly fed up with Winter now. Too much grey and cold weather over here. I guess it’s different in your part of the world 😉 Have a lovely week ahead xo

3. March 3, 2013 / 12:22 pm

Love your Ray Bans, Adrienne…you look great in them. It has been spring here for awhile..so I am ready to dive into spring wear. I just sent my picture to Jill…looking forward to seeing everyone’s green!!

4. March 3, 2013 / 12:41 pm

You have such a classic, beautiful style! You encompass everything a classy woman should! 🙂

5. March 3, 2013 / 1:07 pm

I believe the pink flower is a flowering Quince bush or shrub.
    Love your blog by the way!

6. March 3, 2013 / 2:23 pm

Oh how I *wish* it were Spring here. We are buried under mountains of snow and ice. It is depressing.

I love seeing the ombre in your hair. Much more evident when it is straight. I am jealous of anyone with natural curl since I can’t seem to keep a curl longer than 30 minutes in my hair.

Those boots look great. I know that they are a high quality brand. They should be perfect for walking the streets of Paris.

bisous
    Suzanne

7. March 3, 2013 / 2:36 pm

Love the outfit Adrienne. Would love if you could do a post on how you achieve your wonderful curls.
    Having lived in intense Mediterranean heat for the last 12 years, I am loving the freezing temperatures we still have in London. Hubs wants to retreat back to our home in Spain, but I like all things cosy and snuggly 😉

8. March 3, 2013 / 2:40 pm

This is a great look for you! I am sure you will turn heads in Paris!

I was wearing a green dress a couple of weeks ago – I wish I had remembered to get a photo!

9. March 3, 2013 / 2:55 pm

I love those boots! I have some short ones like that, but they don’t have a zipper so I have to tie them. They are so comfortable, and go with everything. Within reason.

We have daffodils coming out now, and buds of all kinds are everywhere! Yay!!

10. March 3, 2013 / 3:07 pm

That’s just the kind of outfit I love, Adrienne. The boots are fab – they’ll be perfect for all the walking you’ll do in Paris. I’m trying to wean myself off the straighteners because they leave the ends of my hair fried!

11. March 3, 2013 / 3:08 pm

The boots are fabulous, and should be perfect for Paris! How long will you be visiting? We’ve had another warm spell here too, but desperately need some rain and there’s very little in the forecast.

12. March 3, 2013 / 3:14 pm

I like your hair any way you wear it, Adrienne! It looks fab here. I have similar, shorter boots and have had them re-soled already, they are such work horses. Thanks for linking up!

13. March 3, 2013 / 3:51 pm

@Kathy My favorite shade of green is olive. I am surprised that I don’t own more of it.
    I also do not know how I dressed myself before that belt and handbag. I wear them both almost daily. xo

14. March 3, 2013 / 3:54 pm

@Mademoiselle Poirot It is very different. I am certain of that! We have very mild winters and an unusually dry start to 2013. I wish we got a tad more rain around here and some snow would not be unwelcome!
    I am also certain that I would be singing a different tune if I lived in the UK!
    I am really glad I bought these boots. They were much more than I wanted to spend but I have a feeling I will be happy to have them on my feet in Paris and will wear them for many years to come.

15. March 3, 2013 / 3:56 pm

@Pam @ over50feeling40 We get weird weather around here this time of year. Teasers for spring, followed by several rainy and cold days. In fact, we are expecting just that in a few days. I for one am thrilled because we need the rain and I would love to take my Hunters out and get them wet!
    Ray Bans are my favorite sunnies brand. Love the styles, love their customer service and their prices are great, too.

16. March 3, 2013 / 4:02 pm

@Fiddlestyx Hi Fiddlestyx! Such a cute online name!
    I will go with Quince…looks like it should be called Quince. It’s a tall bush and the flowers grow on twigs, kind of like pussy willows.

17. March 3, 2013 / 4:04 pm

@Statements in Fashion Hi C! So nice to hear from you.
    Yes, hard to find reasonably heeled boots these days and I don’t do anything over 3″ and usually try to keep heels to 2″ or less.
    Ugh! That is cold…I am shivering just thinking about that. I know we have it good out here in California with our mild winters. I wouldn’t mind trading a few days of your winter days but maybe not the 29 degree ones 😉

18. March 3, 2013 / 4:07 pm

@Suzanne Carillo Style Files I have only lived in wintery places when I was a child – the last time was in New Jersey one year when I was 10. We got tons of snow and I loved it but I was a kid. So I think I have this notion that as an adult, I would still love it. And I know that’s not true.

I can hold a curl but it takes work – and lots and lots of hairspray!

La Canadienne is an excellent brand, I am thrilled whenever I can find things that are made in the US or Canada.

19. March 3, 2013 / 4:10 pm

@[email protected] I would love to do a post on getting my hair to curl. I have somewhat mastered it over the years but I still have problems holding the curls. Long, heavy hair can be hard to style.
    I didn’t realize you lived in Spain for so long! And that is was that warm.
    I grew up in Las Vegas, where the summers are, to me, unbearably hot. I can’t stand to be hot!

20. March 3, 2013 / 4:11 pm

@Val Sparkle They do go with most everything. I want to try mine with a skirt soon.
    I do love those spring flowers everywhere. I just wish we would get a little rain. It’s so dry here!

21. March 3, 2013 / 4:56 pm

Such a great weekend outfit for going around town or having dinner with the hubby.
    I so agree that I want the cold to hang around longer to wear some more of my fall/winter items. It was snowing last week so maybe the cold weather will stick a few more weeks.
    Have an awesome time on your upcoming trip to Paris.
    I personally prefer curly because it’s healthier for my hair, and flat iron if I do once a month.

22. March 3, 2013 / 5:23 pm

@Sulky Kitten I agree – the boots will be great. I wore similar boots to Italy a couple of years ago but they were very old and very, very heavy. My feet were bleeding – not exaggerating! And my legs were so achy. This time, I am only wearing lightweight shoes.

I think all the curling irons I use (plural) and the hot rollers are damaging my hair. They are the reason I have split ends but I love my hair curled.

23. March 3, 2013 / 5:26 pm

@Déjà Pseu It’ll be a short trip this time – just a week. I am trying to figure out what other shoes to bring. Not sure I need any others!
    We are lucky enough to be getting some rain this week – I am so happy about it. We have had the driest January and February on record in I think over 150 years or something crazy like that. I don’t like it!
    Are you abnormally dry in LA too?

24. March 3, 2013 / 5:30 pm

@Patti These will be boots I will have forever! I plan on resoling them as needed.
    Thank you for putting on your wonderful Visible Monday!

25. March 3, 2013 / 5:32 pm

@JTWisdom I just love winter clothes so much I wish I could wear them all year round!
    I prefer curly too. I think it makes my hair look healthier too – hides a lot of imperfections!

26. March 3, 2013 / 5:37 pm

You look gorgeous, A!
    Love your outfit, and those boots are awesome! A trip to Paris….I’m envious! I hope to make that trip one of these days, hopefully soon.

27. March 3, 2013 / 6:05 pm

You did get the boots! Great choice, I’ve been admiring them too. Perfect for Paris (lucky you!!)

The green jeans look great on you, I’m a fan of green!

28. March 3, 2013 / 6:16 pm

Love the green and the hair–all looks fabulous.

I still have vivid memories of the blisters I sustained while walking Paris for a week. I hope you are super comfy on this next trip.

I am very jealous of the beautiful blooms you are already seeing in your area…it will be a few weeks before I am so fortunate! xo

29. March 3, 2013 / 6:27 pm

@gracefully50 Thanks, Jeannie!
    You will love Paris! It’s a magical place. I am really looking forward to our trip because we are taking my stepdaughter for her high school graduation present. I can’t wait to see the city of lights through her eyes.

30. March 3, 2013 / 6:28 pm

@LR @ Magnificent or Egregious I love green, too. All shades.
    I did pin those boots, didn’t I!
    They are wonderful boots…I am very happy I spent the money to make my feet look good, feel comfortable, and warm!

31. March 3, 2013 / 6:31 pm

@vintagefrenchchic The last time we were in Paris, I wore a pair of tall boots I had just bought in Venice. I have never in my life had such a bad blister after walking around Paris all day in those boots. It was like an underground blister that was SO painful, I could barely walk. The saddest part of the story is that I had to spend the next 5 days in the most stylish city in the world in ugly hiking shoes! That’s all I could wear. That and a pair of pumps that would’ve created even more problems. Shoes are so important when you travel…especially to Europe where you walk all day long, as you know!
    xo, A

32. March 3, 2013 / 8:31 pm

Your hair looks amazing and super shiny! I try to avoid flat iron, but sometimes I can’t resist:)

33. March 3, 2013 / 8:55 pm

The idea of you rocking combat boots in Paris just makes me happy.

34. March 3, 2013 / 8:58 pm

I have a pair of combat boots, but I haven’t quite figured out how to wear them yet (and I’ve had them for over a year! )… I do that a lot.

35. March 3, 2013 / 9:17 pm

@DC in STYLE I know! It’s hard to not use hot hair tools. They make our hair look so nice but can be so bad for out tresses.

36. March 3, 2013 / 9:19 pm

@Bella Q Ha! Me too, Bella! Makes me happy to think of the places they’ll go – Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Versailles! I am sure they will get quite a work out soon.

37. March 3, 2013 / 9:22 pm

@Kari I do that a lot, too, Kari.
    I think combat boots look great with skinny jeans, skirts and even casual dresses.

38. March 3, 2013 / 10:17 pm

Adrienne….great outfit. I’m in the same kind of frame of mind as you right now…wear it while I can because soon the fall/winter clothes will take a sabbatical!

39. March 3, 2013 / 10:22 pm

@Lisa Thanks, Lisa. I always do this at the end of a season. I am sure I will be singing the same tune come next fall!
    Right now, I am hoping I get a few more chances to wear my favorite winter duds!

40. March 4, 2013 / 7:20 am

Hi Adrienne,
    I agree with you about the weather; want to hold on to some cool temps and rain a little longer! We’re getting your rain at the end of the week and your post reminded me of some grey cords that need a little more action before they’re put away for the summer. You look fabulous in your outfit. Love the boots and sunnies!
    Heather from Friendship, Life and Style

41. March 4, 2013 / 7:37 am

Hey Adrienne, I am Ada – nice to “meet” you. I found you through Visible Mondays and I like your casual, laid-black, chic Californian style. =) Today I am loving the Hunter Green Pants in the IN Color of the moment.

I am going to follow your blog from now on and I hope you stop by mine and support me too, by following. I just want to let you know that I run a Weekly Feature and here is something for you to check out:

Thanks, Ada.

42. March 4, 2013 / 8:43 am

LOVING the combo of the black leather with the green pants!
    I’m not sure how to send you pics of my green. I will include my link or just email me please? Thank you and I love your blog! pippa

43. March 4, 2013 / 1:33 pm

@Ann, Heather and Sheila Cold weather clothes just appeal to me more. Layers, bundling up, pretty boots and scarves…I love it all!
    Grey cords sound cute! Maybe next season I’ll get myself a pair!

44. March 4, 2013 / 1:36 pm

@Elegance Personified Thank you so much for featuring me in your “best looks” post! I really appreciate it! Am following you….look forward to getting to know you better!

45. March 4, 2013 / 1:39 pm

@shopwithpippa.com Hi Pippa! I visited your blog and can’t find your email either. Go figure! I will include a photo from that post you left a link for and include a link within the HIWM post back to you.

Thank you for participating. My email is a_shubin (at) comcast (dot) net

46. March 4, 2013 / 1:45 pm

Love your cords! Thanks for following my blog! I’ve been following yours and love it 🙂

www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com
    www.daisyraeboutique.com

47. March 4, 2013 / 4:22 pm

I love the outfit with the green pants! And I’m with you, I like how you can see the ombre coloring because of the flat iron treatment. Super hot! I can’t wait to see everybody in their green tomorrow! XO, Jill

48. March 4, 2013 / 6:42 pm

@jill815 I am quite happy with the ombre. I think I may get a re-touch when I get back from Paris. Maybe a little blonder?
    I am very excited about HIWM: Green tomorrow! It’s going to be a great one!
    xoxo

49. March 4, 2013 / 8:11 pm

Adrienne, You are lucky to be so photogenic! I like this straightened hair look (yes-the ombre does show more-pretty). It’s a hot look with the edgier combat boots. Looks like you are on track for Paris. It is such a smart idea to walk around in the shoes/boots ahead of time. Blisters are the trip killers in my experience. Oui? Looking fab lady!
    xx, Heather

50. March 4, 2013 / 9:59 pm

@Heather Lindstrom Curls and combat boots probably aren’t as edgy as straight hair. Good point!
    I have had enough blisters in my life to know that I have to work those kicks in before I travel!
    xoxo, A

51. March 4, 2013 / 11:56 pm

Your hair always looks so fantastic! I loved it curled, and straightened 🙂

52. March 5, 2013 / 3:17 pm

You look so Spring-Ready, and beautiful as always. I’m so envious about your upcoming trip, however, that I almost can’t write to you! Almost, because you are as nice as your are pretty, so I have to give in. Seriously, have a wonderful, safe trip and come back to us with pictures of amazing shopping!