Palace of Versailles

Palace of Versailles

Palace of Versailles is my favorite place on earth to visit. To me it’s like a grown-up Disneyland. Its rich history, expertly manicured gardens, Baroque architecture and decor, grand statues and fountains make me feel like I am spending the day in a fairytale.

My first time visiting Versailles was in October, 2008. My husband took a photo of the French Pavilion that day that I fell in love with and it eventually became the header photo for my blog.

What an unusual experience it was to visit it again. I touched its walls, viewed the building from every angle and posed in front of it for photos.  I think of the thousands upon thousands of times I have looked at that building. Touching it was almost surreal for me.

Across from the French Pavilion is this larger building, the Petit Trianon.

About a ten minute walk from the Petit Trianon, is the even larger Grand Trianon.

Throughout the estate, there are several small structures.

Then there are the gardens. Even in March, before the flowers have bloomed and many of the sculptures are still covered to protect them from rain and snow, the gardens of Versailles are breathtaking.

Although I prefer to spend most of my time at Versailles outdoors, visiting the main palace is a must.

I really enjoy seeing Marie Antoinette’s boudoir and imagining what her life must have been like.

And you can’t visit Versailles without walking through the Hall of Mirrors.

Another must, in my opinion, is seeing the Hameau de la Reine (Queen’s Hamlet). Marie Antoinette had this small village created as her own retreat. It’s darling and complete with cute farm animals.

The Grand Canal is a majestic body of water below the main palace.

We decided to rent a row boat even though it was chilly and windy that day.

I hope you’ve enjoyed the photos from my ‘happiest place on earth’.

Have you visited Palace of Versailles? If so, do you love it as much as I do?

Have a wonderful Easter if you’re celebrating.

1. March 31, 2013 / 12:04 am

I’ve never been, Adrienne – but the next time I’m in Paris, it’s on my list. It really looks stunning with so much to see. You all look so happy in these photos!

2. March 31, 2013 / 2:35 am

Hi!
    Happy Easter!
    I visited it as a teenager (1987) on a school trip..I’ve still got pics of me with a pony tail and mom’s jeans posing if front of the petit trianon with my best friend from school..

3. March 31, 2013 / 5:10 am

I’ve been to Paris so many times, but never to Versailles. I will definitely go next time. I love the photos of the Queen’s Hamlet and the rowboats particularly. Everything looks so stunning, beautiful architecture and scale, and of course the gardens are magnificent.

4. March 31, 2013 / 5:22 am

I have not visited, but I now want to do so. I love the little village. It’s beautiful.

5. March 31, 2013 / 6:25 am

Such a beautiful place, I can see why you love it so much. Since going to Paris is on our list of places to visit someday, we will have to make sure we include Versailles as well.

Happy Easter!

6. March 31, 2013 / 6:36 am

Versaille is definitely in my top 5 for Europe! The hall of mirrors is amazing 🙂
    J

7. March 31, 2013 / 6:44 am

We visited Versailles on our first Paris visit in 2007, and like you, the gardens and out-buildings were my favorite part. I’d love to go back sometime. Lovely pictures, and I see you’re getting some good use from that fabulous coat!

8. March 31, 2013 / 7:52 am

Happy Easter, Adrienne! Your photos are amazing. I haven’t been to Versailles yet, but I am sure to go. You look blissful!

9. March 31, 2013 / 8:02 am

Versailles was one of my favorite parts of visiting Paris.
    Becky 🙂

10. March 31, 2013 / 1:22 pm

Lovely, lovely photos. Oh I love to go back for another visit. Can you believe when we were there in 2004, the Hall of Mirrors was under construction???? I need to back just see those. xo H

11. March 31, 2013 / 3:55 pm

What stunning photos. These takes me back. Last time we were there we were lucky enough to visit when they had all of the fountains on and music playing. It was so dreamy.

We had stopped at a great boulangerie for some French baked goods and had a picnic in front of one of the many fountains.

I couldn’t agree more…this place is amazing.

12. April 1, 2013 / 9:51 am

Gorgeous! I cannot wait until our family takes a trip to France!

13. April 1, 2013 / 11:58 am

Adrienne, you just look so lovely in all the Paris trip photos – I can tell you were all really, really enjoying the trip! Hugs!!

14. April 1, 2013 / 8:10 pm

I absolutely adore these photos of you in your happiest place. I have traveled extensively and have been to Paris 3 times but have yet to visit Versailles. My husband had already been and we seem to become so enchanted with Paris itself that we have not ventured out of town (unless you count Provence which is also a favorite!). It’s on my list for our next visit.
    Lovely photos!
    xx, Heather

15. April 3, 2013 / 9:42 pm

As stunning as Versailles is now, it must have been truly something special back in it’s hey day.

16. Anonymous
    April 26, 2013 / 1:23 pm

I was in Paris for a couple of months and visited Versailles. I couldn’t help but have the same feeling of curiosity while imagining how the days used to be for the last monarchy. I know exactly what you’re talking about. I love it and can’t wait to be back!