Positively Friday

Happy Friday!
Positively Friday posts have been part of my blog for a couple of years now. They help me focus on all the good stuff about my week. While it was once a weekly feature, now I only write them when I feel compelled.
The best part of Positively Friday for me is hearing one or two or even ten things positive about your week.
I’d love to hear your good stuff. Here’s mine:
~ Tuesday morning I noticed a red sore on my little dog’s lip and quickly made an appointment with our veterinarian for later that day. He quickly diagnosed it as a tumor that he thought was malignant. He recommended surgery as soon as possible so we scheduled it for Thursday.

Initially, I surprised myself by handling the news calmly. But once I got home, I let my thoughts, emotions and assumptions get the better of me.

The next couple of days were awful. I’m an expert at winding myself up and thinking the worst, especially when it comes to health issues affecting much loved people and pets.

I wish I could be a person who assumes the best in these situations. Are you such a person? Or are you more like me?

The happy, positive news is that our vet got all of the tumor and didn’t see any others during her surgery. He sent it off to pathology to be biopsied and we will get the results on Monday. I am hoping to hear the word “benign”, of course. But even if it is malignant, I am pleased that he was able to get it all.

Can you see her lip sutures?
Such a brave girl she is. Me, not so much.

~ Earlier this week my stepdaughter, Tori, asked me if I would like to spend the afternoon with her. Of course I would!

We decided to meet for lunch at a Chinese restaurant. We ordered family style and shared a big plate of sautéed greens, vegetables with prawns and some hot and sour soup, my favorite. And of course, lots of Chinese tea.

~ After lunch, we went for manicures. Tori likes to get shellac nail polish because it stays on for two to three weeks without chipping.

I have never had a shellac manicure because I am afraid it will cause a lot of damage to my already very thin and peel-prone nails. But Tori convinced me to at least give it a try as she has never had any issues with hers. They can always grow out, right?

What I like about shellac polish it that is dries very quickly. I always mess up regular nail polish because I am so impatient. And they can take a real beating. I worked at the winery this week and cooked a few meals with nary a chip.

But what I don’t like is all the time spent with my hands under the blue lights curing the polish. Won’t that give me more sun spots?

In a couple of weeks, I will go back to have the shellac taken off and see what it did, if anything, to my nails.

Do you wear shellac polish? If so, how did your nails do with it?

Once our nails were shellacked, we were ready for some coffee. Tori treated me to a latte at a local bakery.

We had a great time together, as we always do.

~ Monday, after I visited with Anna, I stopped by T.J. Maxx. I haven’t shopped there in ages. I found this darling navy blue jacket with silver sparkles running through the thread. It’s made by Sanctuary and was on sale for $7.00! Currently, it’s selling for 10 times that amount on Amazon!

The sleeves are nice and long on me, and the color is such a deep, rich navy. But with the weather growing warmer, I don’t know that I’ll be able to wear it anytime soon. Thankfully, the style is classic enough that I will wear it later this year, once fall is upon us again.

Have you found any great deals lately?
I will be back this weekend with a post
about my favorite things to do in Paris.
Have a great Friday!

1. March 8, 2013 / 10:29 am

Hello Lady! I like this positive Friday post! I dig that you got to have chinese food!! Im not kidding when I say that ALL of the Chinese food in Santa Cruz is TERRIBLE. I miss that greasy yummy goodness more than you know! Tori seems like a really nice girl to spend some time with too! I guess my happy moment for this week was having my diptyque jonquille candle arrive. I know, I know… just a candle. But the smell makes me remember fun things from my childhood!

-nico

www.SatinAndSalt.com

2. March 8, 2013 / 10:42 am

Daisy is a brave and I really hope she is ok. Have a good weekend Adrienne. Be kind to yourself. xoxo

3. March 8, 2013 / 10:50 am

@Nico Saich Chinese food is not great here either. Very hit or miss. San Francisco is THE place to get great Chinese food. Nothing around here compares to the city.
    Tori is a wonderful young woman. Very thoughtful and always a pleasure to be around.
    I love Diptyque candles…so frangrant!
    Have a great Friday, Nico!

4. March 8, 2013 / 10:51 am

I’m holding a good thought for Daisy’s biopsy results. Smart you to get her into the vet right away!

5. March 8, 2013 / 10:51 am

@Susan Partlan Me too, Susan. I always knew I loved her a lot, but this has shown me just how much. I was a wreck this week with worry!
    I will be taking it easy this weekend. Thank you for your kind words. xoxo

6. March 8, 2013 / 11:00 am

@Déjà Pseu I am just so happy that I saw it! I was eye level with her when I saw something peaking out under her fur.
    Glad it’s gone and hope things like this stay gone!

7. March 8, 2013 / 11:09 am

It’s good to always remember what we have to be grateful about. Wishing you a glorious weekend.

8. March 8, 2013 / 12:13 pm

Hope your little pooch is back to her normal self and the biopsy results are good. Regardless, it sounds like the vet was confident that he got it all. Love the jacket and your description of your time with Tori. My good week has to do with lovely sunshine and warm weather today for a walk with the dog and then by myself, finding the perfect shoes (at TJ Maxx!) for my son’s wedding and “graduating” from physical therapy.

9. March 8, 2013 / 12:14 pm

Before I get on with the positive stuff, I did read an article recently that was recommended by a friend who has had skin cancer (and is also a high school history teacher, so reasonably well-read) that spoke of the dangers of the shellac nails due to the UV exposure. If you want to read it, I can find the link again.

Okay, on to the positive!

My 8-year-old son, who’s in third grade this year, has struggled throughout his 3.5 years with his conduct grades – I honestly just think that school, in general, is too structured and full of rules for him to deal with. BUT. He has now finished off a third week in a row with EXCELLENT conduct, he made the Gold Medal Award level in his Advanced Reader points, AND he was invited to join the Gifted Program. I don’t know if he’ll get a seventh Honor Roll in a row this quarter because he had a couple lower grades among the A’s, but he’s doing really well and I couldn’t be prouder!

As for me? Well, I’m scheming a new website. Heh. Heh. Heh.

10. March 8, 2013 / 12:28 pm

So glad that little Daisy is doing well. Happy Friday! I had a good one, too. Leigh

11. March 8, 2013 / 12:37 pm

@Juhli That’s great news about your son getting married and graduating from PT. I know what a commitment physical therapy can be having been through it for a tennis injury ages ago. Not just the time consuming appointments but all the at home work too!

12. March 8, 2013 / 12:38 pm

@Michelle Roebuck I would like to have that article. Maybe I could slather on some sunscreen first? I feel like my hands are in a tanning bed. Not good!

Such great news about your son! I am not surprised that he has been invited to be in the gifted program. His mom is one smart cookie!

Looking forward to the new website!

13. March 8, 2013 / 12:54 pm

Hi Adrienne,

So glad you got Daisy into the vet right away. Glad they got it all and am hoping for a “benign” pathology reading. 🙂

Oh, I am definitely one of those people that assumes the worst. I know one isn’t supposed to worry about things that may never happen. Not easy to do.

Dr. Oz did a good segment on whether or not gel manicures are safe. (aired 01/23/13) You might be interested in watching it.

Great score on the jacket!

14. March 8, 2013 / 1:04 pm

@LRS4AMANDA Hi Linda,

I just watched the segment on the gel manicure on Dr.Oz. I have a feeling I will have some thin nails when these come off! It’s good information but I did find the doctor to be a bit overly alarmist so I will take the information with a grain of salt.

I wish there was an easier way to get the gels off! Scraping is not going to be good for my nails.

I also wish I did not always jump to the worst conclusion. I make myself and the people around me nuts! I think it’s just who I am, how I was raised, etc.but I would really like to curb the drama!
    xoxo, A

15. March 8, 2013 / 1:15 pm

Shellac nail polish was the best thing…. I thought initially but it terrible for my nails. You have to stay with it or suffer from thin, weak nails as they file the layers down. I was going to the salon more than I wanted and it took too much time. To remove it you have to soak in a chemical! I did purchase my own light machine and polish and now do my own clear shellac only with no filing down my top layer of nails. Does not last as long – but my nails remain stronger and no soaking to remove. The shellac literally peels off.

16. March 8, 2013 / 1:45 pm

I understand that awful, heart-stopping anxiety you must have felt over little Daisy. Thankfully, you were able to act quickly and have her treated.Bet you’re glad to have the little sweetie safely back home with you! Cannot believe you got that cute jacket for a mere $7! Great find.

17. March 8, 2013 / 2:28 pm

Hope the pooch is ok!! Now I really want chinese food!!!!
    Becky 🙂

18. March 8, 2013 / 3:49 pm

@Advantage Relocation Services Wow! Looks like I am in for some thin, peeling nails in about two weeks.
    What kind of at home machine do you have? I would love to have a shellac that come off easily even if it means it wouldn’t last as long.

19. March 8, 2013 / 4:02 pm

I’m just like you, my mind spins out of control with negative thoughts when there’s a health scare. We had one this week too, but it turned out fine. But two days of worrying like crazy.
    On the positive side, my pneumonia is over and I’ve gained about 90% of my strength back – have to push myself now to exercise and regain it all. Also had a wonderful dinner with my pregnant daughter and her husband last night.
    I think Daisy will be fine, but I would have been pretty hysterical too, as I’m crazy over my dogs.
    Do you drink all that Chinese tea and caffeinated latte and not have any affect? I would have to be scraped off the ceiling.
    Love the navy jacket and you got a steal.
    Love positive Fridays. A great reminder.

20. March 8, 2013 / 4:08 pm

Pet woes are so awful, especially because they can’t tell you exactly what’s going on. I’m glad to hear your pup is on the mind – positive thoughts your way!

Megan

21. March 8, 2013 / 4:11 pm

I bought a Silkline machine and use gelish. I started with base coat, then 2 layers of a nudish tone and then a top coat. That made the layer too thick and peeled quickly. I now just use the base coat to make my nails look healthy and shiny – as I am still recovering from the soaking and scraping.

PS Just discovered your blog last weekend and I feel like a stalker as I have just gone back to your very first post and am now reading forward. Saw you were in Vancouver BC a few years back – hope you loved it! I was in Paris and Rome last year so looking forward to reading more of your travels. Just telling my husband Bill that we should take a trip down to your wine country and visit some of the inns and wineries you have written about.

22. March 8, 2013 / 4:31 pm

Daisy is so brave and sweet! She looks great after her surgery. Positive thoughts are going out for her total good health. You and Tori have a great time together. I’ve had gel nails done and they didn’t harm my real nails a bit – so hoping you’ll have similar results : >

23. March 8, 2013 / 4:43 pm

Good that your noticed that red spot and took care of it right away. I have a major problem with situations such as yours and always go to the dark side and panic.
    My husband is the one with the level head and talks me through things.

I have never had shellac polish nor have I ever heard of it until now. ( I must live under a rock!)

That jacket is such a fabulous purchase and I cannot believe that you got it for $7.00 honestly that is crazy but also a guilt free purchase.

I can’t wait to see what you will wear with it.
    Happy Weekend wishes to you.

24. March 8, 2013 / 6:23 pm

Oh, oh, oh! Your poor little Daisy. I am hoping for positive news for Monday. You were a very brave “mom”. I was a basket case when Rockefeller first tore his acl last Fall…but in the end I came through and so did he!

I love the coffee shot with you and Tori…great one!

My positive? I have survived no less than 3 parties since Saturday. Tomorrow I get a day to myself–thank goodness!!

Great deal? A new-to-me Hermes scarf. : ) xo, H

25. March 9, 2013 / 5:52 am

Always good to keep a close eye on our pets. I watch ours like a hawk so as to always take quick note of any changes in them. Just a tiny limp has proven to be signs of something underlying in past pets…. good luck to your little sweetie… xox

26. March 9, 2013 / 6:45 am

Hello Adrienne,
    The idea of looking back at the week and trying to list all the positive things which happened is great. I will do it next week, thinking about you. Thanks for the idea.
    Like you I am not sure I can handle issues with calm. So trying to remember the best of life is one way to manage stressful situations. Glad your beloved dog is now fine. This is the very best news for sure.
    xoxo,
    Anne Touraine (Playing with Scarves)

27. March 9, 2013 / 7:13 am

Glad your pup is ok!

Great find with the jacket!

One of my co-workers just got Shellac, I told her to let me know what her nails were like after she got the Shellac off….but after reading the comments here, I don’t think I’ll be getting it! I used to get clear gel nails years ago, which I did like but when I stopped getting them, my nails took a little while to heal and get back to normal. Your nails look great though!

28. March 9, 2013 / 10:22 pm

I have one of the at home ones too- Le chat is the brand, But wouldn’t go for the UV one again, they make an LED one I am told- or a heat cured one, I guess if it is a real worry then pop some 50+ sunscreen on a half an hour before you do it and then clean just the nails off. That would work would’t it??
    Things to be positive about, would be that I am finally getting my head around Lightroom and am about to catalog all my photos, past and present! Yay!

29. March 10, 2013 / 3:02 am

Awwww… I’m sure the little one will be fine and it’s good you’ve caught it fast and it was soon removed! You’re both very brave!

As for shellac, I never tried it, my nails are strong, grow fast and I like to do my own manicure. However, it read recently in British paper that prolonged usage of shellac due to UV rays can be a cause/linked to cancer. Of course, it’s too soon to confirm it, but it makes sense – it’s kind of like going for a hand sunbed.

Mademoiselle-Lala.com

30. March 10, 2013 / 7:13 am

Adrienne~I had seen that Daisy did well on FB but wanted to say what a relief here on the blog. She is such a cutie. I love hearing about your afternoon with Torie. It’s wonderful to have such a close relationship as a step-mom and daughter. As for the nails-I did the shellac nails/pedi for a 2 week trip to Europe a couple of years ago. They looked great the entire trip which was amazing~I didn’t even need to think about a touch up. I didn’t keep up with it for the high maintance time in the salon. I just heard that cutting the tips off white cotton gloves can protect the skin from the UV rays (that was from a dermatologist). And by the way, that coat from TJMaxx was a steal!!!
    Happy Weekend! xx, Heather

31. March 11, 2013 / 10:59 pm

Fifty and I are so happy that Daisy is doing well! xo

32. March 12, 2013 / 6:28 am

How is your little dog getting on? I hope the biopsy was benign.
    I always panic when things like this come up! I’m calm and competent on the outside but inside I’m a disaster!!