Little Black High-Low Dress

Last week I dropped by one of my favorite thrift shops, Assistance League Thrift Shop, to see what new-to-me things they had since the last time I paid them a visit.Assistance League of Sonoma County is such a well-organized, friendly, and spotless place, it’s no wonder they were voted best thrift store in this year’s Best of Sonoma County Awards in the Press Democrat newspaper.

If you live in the Sonoma County area and you’re either a thrift shopping veteran like me or a newbie, give Assistance League a try. You won’t be disappointed.

I found numerous items including this good-as-new little black high-low dress for $7.00. It’s an ideal dress for summer with its lightweight fabric and flirty hemline.

It also a great dress to wear when you don’t feel like wearing anything too body conscious, especially around your middle. The blouson style and elastic drawstring waist allow me to feel conformable and confident. And because it’s black, it’s an easy dress to take from day-casual to night-casual, like I did this weekend.

Saturday, my husband and I went out to lunch at Figone’s, our local olive oil shop that serves both homemade mozzarella with their Caprese salad. A street food vendor, Cibo di Strada, serves fantastic grilled Italian dishes at Figone’s on the adjacent lawn. If you go, make sure you try the grilled Caesar salad. It’s a nice accompaniment to the Caprese!

It was a gorgeous day, perfect weather to be eating al fresco. I wore my new secondhand dress with cognac Michael Kors sandals, turquoise-colored chandelier earrings…

and a small crossbody bag I bought in Stanley, Idaho several years ago.

It’s got beading, feathers, and some faux stones. It’s a great piece to wear if you want to add a Bohemian vibe or maybe just some color and interest to your look.

A few hours after returning home from lunch, it was time to go out again. We had plans to attend a dinner and auction at Hanna Boys Center, a local home and school for troubled boys. I knew it was a casual affair and a dressed up jeans look would have been fine but I wanted to wear my high low dress again. It’s so cool and comfortable.

I went for a very simple monochromatic look; all black with gold and silver jewelry. Not knowing if we’d be indoors or out, or if we’d be walking a lot, I wore close-toed flat shoes. For accessories I added a long, delicate chain, a few bracelets, and some plain silver hoops.

I switched out the crossbody bag with a black clutch I also bought secondhand for $7.00 recently.

I’m thrilled I found this dress and am able to create casual, wearable looks with it.

Do you have a casual dress or skirt that you can wear day or night by changing out a few accessories?

Speaking of casual looks, I want to remind you that the next How I Wear My is on August 1st and the theme is ‘Casual Party Outfit’.

Please send in a photo of you to me at adrienne@therichlifeonabudget or to Jill at Everything Just So by July 31st to be featured. And don’t forget to include a couple of sentences about your look.

Finally, for those of you who might be wondering how the little Robins are doing, they flew away on Saturday, one by one. I hope they are safe and sound and having lots of fun learning how to fly and catch lots of bugs and worms.

Maybe when they’re ready to start their own families, they’ll come back to our cat-free yard and let me take endless photos of them again!
xo, Adrienne

1. July 14, 2013 / 3:41 pm

Hooray for the robins! It’s so great you got to see them grow and fly off. Love your new LBD and how you’ve styled it for day and evening, great find! Thanks for sharing with Vis Monday.

2. July 14, 2013 / 4:05 pm

What a cute little dress! And so versatile too! xoxo

3. July 14, 2013 / 5:04 pm

Awww…those little birdies were so cute. They grow up so quickly {sigh} ; P

I love how you’ve styled the dress both ways. With your long legs it’s hard to go wrong.

4. July 14, 2013 / 6:01 pm

That’s a great dress at a wonderful price! Good hunting!
    Heather from Friendship, Life and Style

5. July 14, 2013 / 7:05 pm

Another really fun post – I love how creative you are with them. And what a find this dress was. Those turn out to be the best pieces sometimes – the ones you didn’t know you were looking for but found in second hand stores. Thanks for sharing!

6. July 14, 2013 / 7:07 pm

Fabulous dress! It looks so comfortable for warm weather too.

7. July 14, 2013 / 7:47 pm

I always love your post ideas – they are so creative. And this dress is such an awesome find! I love discovering new-to-me treasures. Thanks for sharing. : )

8. July 14, 2013 / 7:49 pm

This is Ana from Mrs. American Made. Sorry. I don’t know how to make my name show up with my comments since I don’t use this blogging platform, but I’m trying to figure it out. : )

9. July 14, 2013 / 8:30 pm

Great find on your dress. Love how it can take you from morning to night so effortlessly. I have a few dresses and a skirt that I turn to on many occassions and surprisingly these have been purchases I didn’t think much about at the time.
    So proud of your sweet robins, it’s always a bitter sweet day when they fly from their nests.

10. July 14, 2013 / 9:07 pm

What an awesome find! I love dresses that are so versatile just by switching an item or 2.

11. July 14, 2013 / 11:29 pm

Fabulous always Adrienne.
    I will send you a photo soon

12. July 15, 2013 / 5:42 am

Very cute summery LBD. Great job with styling it too – love the turquoise Boho bag!

13. July 15, 2013 / 9:52 am

Such a lovely dress and your hair is sooo beautiful! Dreaming of that 🙂

Thanks for the update of the robins family. Nature takes its course…

Annette | Lady of Style

14. July 15, 2013 / 9:58 am

A cute dress and I like the sound of Figone’s – if only I lived near there, I’m sure I would give it a try!

15. July 15, 2013 / 10:52 am

It’s an awesome dress, that is a definite must in the closet.

16. July 15, 2013 / 12:47 pm

Hi! Saw you at Patti’s Visible Monday. Darling dress in the high low hem. Your blog is great too. I do thrifty fashions and today’s is only $31.50 total. Yay!

17. July 15, 2013 / 9:03 pm

Very cute dress. What a great find for summer! I love seeing how you changed it up! I’ve got to get out to my favorite second hand store again. Such a thrill to find great things like this.

Sounds like a fun weekend!

18. July 15, 2013 / 9:13 pm

A lovely LBD like that will always be the perfect palette for accessories!!!

19. July 16, 2013 / 2:04 am

That dress is a real find! SO cute on you! Perfect for summer…or so I’ve been told. Summer is not really making more than a few fleeting guest appearances here this year, sadly.

20. July 16, 2013 / 2:46 am

You look wonderful! I love the dress on you and both ways you styled it. A great LBD. One of the things I look for in a dress is if I can get more than one look from it, otherwise it’s not going to work very hard in my wardrobe.

21. July 16, 2013 / 4:05 pm

I’m stoked you’re wearing high-low … I love them when they’re a gentle slope, front to back. And you absolutely have the legs to wear them. Looking lovely as always. I may yet show off my favorites, that I’ve been wearing away from the blog! Good for you, Gorgeous!

22. July 16, 2013 / 11:52 pm

I really like the sandals with the dress. It’s perfect for a casual summer dinner out 🙂