Moto Vest, Chain Necklace, Brooches and other things

Moto Vest, Chain Necklace, Brooches and other things

Hello! I hope you all had a great weekend.

I am almost fully recovered from my pleurisy, thankfully. I can’t tell you how great it feels to be back to my old self!

Although I wasn’t 100% on Saturday, I really wanted to get out of the house even if it was just to run errands like shopping for deodorant at the drug store and buying groceries. I did manage to stop by my favorite local antique shop because I knew they were having a sale and I am on a mission to find vintage brooches.

Ever since seeing this necklace of Tamera’s in real life – which is even more stunning in person – I have been collecting vintage brooches of my own to make a statement necklace, with Tamera’s guidance.

I bought these brooches this weekend at the sale.

Finding the grape cluster brooch gave me the idea to have my necklace reflect my wine country lifestyle.  So I will be looking for suns, grapes, bugs, leaves, palms, and anything else that I think symbolizes Sonoma Valley.

I have about 10 brooches so far and will need several more before I can begin piecing together my necklace. I have a feeling it’s going to take a few months. My goal is to have it made in time for the holidays. I have to say, it’s quite fun to search for brooches. It’s sort of addicting!

The weather around here has been ideal for summer. Cool and foggy mornings that eventually turn into warm and sunny afternoons. Layers are key.

I wore Gap distressed boyfriend jeans with a white Everlane v-neck tee, and a faux leather moto vest I bought last year at Goodwill.

It’s hard to believe that I almost didn’t buy this moto vest because I didn’t think I would wear it. I am so glad I changed my mind before I left Goodwill that day.

I went for an almost all neutral look by wearing fawn colored suede pumps by Calvin Klein and carrying a clay colored faux leather tote I bought in Paris last March. It has an orange neon lining that I love.

With silver accents on the vest and the tote, I opted for silver-toned jewelry. The moto vest makes any outfit look a little more edgy – even thought it’s beige – so I left the delicate jewelry at home and wore this necklace that I “made” in Tamera’s studio while having dinner at her home last month.

Tamera invited me to make my own necklace by picking out a strand, then choosing a pendant to add to it. Isn’t that fun? My eyes went directly to the chunky silver chain with the giant clasps and the enormous fleur de lis. I love big jewelry! I added the pearl pendant after receiving the crown she sent me last week. It was attached to the box and too pretty not to wear.

xo, Adrienne

1. August 11, 2013 / 3:20 pm

Fabulous outfit, and that vest is a great Third Piece. I’m drooling over that necklace too, what a fun and unique look!

• August 11, 2013 / 5:38 pm

Thank you, Deja!
      I do love that vest. It’s not always easy to find outfits to wear it with. It’s a funny piece.
      Tamera has such fun goodies to play with in her studio. You would love it! She has given me the jewelry making and wearing bug!

2. August 11, 2013 / 3:20 pm

ah, your necklace is fantastic, Adrienne! And yes, that moto jacket was a great find. Thanks for sharing your look with Visible Monday!

• August 11, 2013 / 5:39 pm

Isn’t it pretty, Patti? I love its boldness. I think I will wear it often – will go with so much. And I can change the pendants or even wear the necklace without.
      Thank you for hosting your Visible Monday!

3. August 11, 2013 / 3:27 pm

Woohoo Adrienne! You styled your original necklace perfectly! I love it! Simply a perfect ensemble from head to toe! Kudos dear friend!

I am so excited about the theme of your vintage brooch necklace! I am always delighted to see the weekly collection progression! I have still seen the beaded necklace bases I use at Target… if you haven’t gotten one already be sure to pick one up… sometimes it is hit and miss to find them .

Much thanks and appreciation for your generous mentions my dear!

xoxo
    Tamera

• August 11, 2013 / 5:44 pm

Tamera, I am so glad you like the way I styled the necklace you invited me to make. I have been dying to wear it but have been relegated to yoga pants and sweatshirts pretty much since I got back from So California!

I am very excited about the theme for my necklace, too. It gives me direction and I think it will really be such a conversation piece!
      I am on the hunt for the Target necklaces. It seems they don’t sell them online, darn it! I will have to actually go in to a Target store – always a costly experience but worth the trip.
      Thank you SO much for all the baubles and gems. I love each and every one!
      xoxo

4. August 11, 2013 / 3:27 pm

I love this look head to toe, Adrienne!! I also love big jewelry…Tamera has so many amazing pieces and you did a fabulous job here…also love the vest and the bag! Have a wonderful week!

• August 11, 2013 / 5:49 pm

Thank you, Pam! Since I am so tall, it seems only right that I should wear big pieces. I can carry it off well…and I love big stuff.
      Tamera really is such a talented and stylish woman. I love her eye for beauty…she surrounds herself with it!
      I hope you also have a fantastic week.
      Great work on your commitment to exercise. I need to get back into my workout routine.

5. August 11, 2013 / 3:28 pm

I love the moto vest! That’s the my favorite part of the outfit and I am in the market for one too. They are versatile! xoxo

• August 11, 2013 / 5:51 pm

I hope you can find one, Paula. They are pretty popular right now so I bet it won’t be too hard. I love mine but it is hard to style. It only looks okay with certain colors and cuts of tops. I would love to have a black or dark grey one.

6. August 11, 2013 / 3:47 pm

Love the sunglasses pin! Something small like that would be so easy to wear on lightweight clothes, but I also like the idea of the brooch necklace.

Your outfit looks great – the big fleur de lis looks perfect with the vest, and the lining on that bag is great! That would also convince me to buy it.

• August 11, 2013 / 5:53 pm

Aren’t the sunglasses darling? Tori picked them out. I think they are so cute. I could wear it on my clothes, too. The nice thing about Tamera’s necklaces made with brooches is that she doesn’t take apart the brooches. She keeps them in their useable condition and just ties them onto another necklace with thin wire. She is a genius!

I love the lining of the bag too. Just the right amount of neon!

7. August 11, 2013 / 4:50 pm

Love this outfit! I think I remember that you mentioned you are quite tall as am I. Do you struggle with finding cute heels that aren’t too high? Do you have recommendations?

• August 11, 2013 / 6:46 pm

Thank you, Jo! Glad you like it.
      I do struggle with finding heels that aren’t too high. Three inches is my max but I usually shoot for 2.5″ in a heel. That 1/2 inch can really make a difference! I shop on Zappos mostly for shoes so I can filter my searches by size and heel height. I love Calvin Klein shoes – they are so comfortable. That pump I am wearing in this post comes in loads of colors and they are reasonable, comfy, and durable.
      Hope that helps!

8. August 11, 2013 / 5:05 pm

You are looking mighty healthy in these photos darling friend. Love the moto jacket-such a score. Truly glad to hear you are up and around now. Your brooches are perfection for Cali wine country. I saw the collection on Instagram and am looking forward to hearing how our lovely friend, Tamera, puts them together. No doubt this will be stunning.
    Happy Sunday! I’m back to work tomorrow following 7 weeks off. Culture shock! 😉
    xx, Heather

• August 11, 2013 / 8:22 pm

I am feeling much, much better, Heather. Thank you for saying I am looking healthy! A great thing to be.
      Have a good return to work. I hope it’s not too much of a shock to your system!

9. August 11, 2013 / 5:43 pm

This is both a sharp and subtle look. Love the brooches you found and the necklace you made with Tamera! Jealous of any two bloggers who have the chance to meet in person.

• August 11, 2013 / 8:23 pm

Thank you, Terri. So great to hear from you!
      It was wonderful to meet Tamera and I also got to meet Deja Pseu as well!

10. August 12, 2013 / 1:45 am

You look so adorable in this outfit. I’m not a big brooch person, but I love to put them on chains and wear them as necklaces instead.

• August 12, 2013 / 7:05 am

Marla,

I wear a brooch – the way it’s meant to be worn – about once or twice a year. They are not really my thing either. But on a necklace, I love them! All the sparkles and colors create such an eye-catching statement necklace. I can’t wait to get enough brooches to start assembling mine.

11. August 12, 2013 / 4:05 am

Your necklace is indeed lovely, Adrienne.
    And I would instantly wear those pumps and grab your bag! The fawn colour is so elegant.

Have a great week,
    Annette | Lady of Style

• August 12, 2013 / 7:07 am

I really like the fawn colors, too, especially with that neon orange inside the bag. Who would have thought those colors would look so good together?
      I hope you have a great week, too!

12. August 12, 2013 / 5:15 am

The whole outfit is great and how fun that you’ve decided to make a brooch necklace. I think it’s going to be great from the look of what you’ve chosen so far.

• August 12, 2013 / 7:13 am

I think so too, Kathy. It’s really fun hunting for just the right brooches.

13. August 12, 2013 / 6:17 am

You look great. Glad you are feeling better.
    I’ve been seeing all you fabulous bloggers with some fantastic jewelry ~
    I’ve inherited several brooches from my Nana and Mom, I think making a necklace is great idea!
    Laurie

• August 12, 2013 / 7:17 am

Hi Laurie,
      The great thing about these necklaces is they stay intact so you don’t need to take them apart. You can use your Nana and mother’s brooches, then if you decide to wear them as pins, take them off the necklace.

14. August 12, 2013 / 6:22 am

Hi Adrienne,

Glad that the worst of your illness is behind you and that you are feeling much better now.

How fun that you are going to make the brooch necklace, I’m sure it will be beautiful! The one you made at Tamera’s came out great. I was looking to buy another wrap bracelet but didn’t want to spend the higher price tag so I found a DIY tutorial on the internet. It looked incredibly easy so I headed over to Michael’s and bought enough supplies to get started. Did you know some online retailers charge to the tune of $200 for those bracelets?

Love your outfit, and the bag is gorgeous! I scored a pair of lightly distressed Joe’s jeans for 1/2 off at Macy’s recently, when the price dropped more to $100 off I bought another pair because I wear them so much!

Have a good week!

• August 12, 2013 / 7:23 am

Linda,

I have seen those tutorials. They do look pretty easy – have you started one yet? Let me know how it goes. I am not very DIY-ish so it has to be really easy for me to be able to do it.

I was at Macy’s very briefly on Sunday with Bill looking for a new coffee maker and saw lots of sales racks. I may have to go back today – without the husband – and take a look around. I love Joe’s they are my favorite upscale denim brand.

15. August 12, 2013 / 10:32 am

Love the outfit and of course LOVE your necklace.
    So pleased you are feeling much better x

• August 13, 2013 / 7:17 pm

Thank you, Van. It feels great to feel back to normal.

16. August 12, 2013 / 11:09 am

hi, this is a great comfy looking ensemble. Something I would for sure wear and would wear (I have just about every item) but not that cool silver anchor chain = awesome!!!

I’m #51 at Visible Monday today. Do drop in!

• August 13, 2013 / 7:24 pm

Hi Renae! Thank you for stopping by. Off to check out your blog!

17. August 12, 2013 / 11:20 am

So funny that you almost didn’t buy this vest as I own one and was the opposite and sought it out at F21! Loving mine but need to wait til temps fall before daring to wear mine… found you via Visible Monday and am now following.., I am #3.

• August 13, 2013 / 7:28 pm

I know! I can’t believe I almost passed it up at Goodwill.
      I find it hard to style though, that is my only complaint.
      Off to see your blog….
      Thank you for stopping by, Tracey!

18. August 13, 2013 / 8:35 am

I’ve been looking for that bee for three months! Love them all, you look beautiful and I’m in complete envy. Nice tutorial on how to make jeans and a tee a canvas for much, much more! I particularly admire your bag and shoes … together!
    So sorry to hear you were ill with pleurisy … so painful, and I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better.

• August 13, 2013 / 7:26 pm

Jan,

I have seen lots of bees on etsy. Have you checked out what they have?
      The bag and shoes do work well together, don’t they? Not intentional at all…I guess I just like that clay/fawn color.
      Pleurisy is awful! But these days, with modern medicine, not too dangerous.

• August 13, 2013 / 7:17 pm

Thanks, Leigh. I love it, too. I also bought one for Tori that is the brightest neon pink you’ve ever seen – inside and out!

19. August 13, 2013 / 7:36 pm

Sorry to hear you have been poorly, glad you are getting better. I love this outfit and the way you have styled it. Your jeans look great. 🙂

• August 13, 2013 / 7:50 pm

Thank you, Rachel. I feel much, much better now.
      I love my bf jeans…I don’t know what I wore before I found them!

20. August 13, 2013 / 11:47 pm

Hi my dear!! Looking lovely as usual, the Moto vest was a fabulous buy and I so love the green stone brooch and the grape one too, so pretty! xx

• August 14, 2013 / 6:34 am

Hi Sharon!
      I love that green one, too. I think it will look great with the grapes and my other brooches.

21. August 14, 2013 / 9:54 pm

Very cute look. I just love the boyfriend jeans as well. I like the vest on you. It’s different in that color! In Europe I noticed everyone had on motorcycle jackets or some version of them, so I think this will be great for Fall as well with sweaters!

I love the necklace you made! How fun. Also great idea to make a theme one with the brooches. Cool!

Hope you are feeling better!

xxKim