Positively Friday?

Positively Friday?
Why the question mark for this week’s Positively Friday?Because, truth be told, this week was challenging.

Monday morning started off well enough but I woke feeling fatigued and decided to skip bootcamp class. Instead, I dressed in my finest yoga outfit and headed out the door to see my senior friend, Anna. We had a lovely visit, as we always do.

On my way home I stopped by one of the thrift shops I like to frequent to see what they had. I found a few things and went to the counter to pay.

After our initial greetings to one another, the woman helping me with my transaction asked me how old I was. I find that off-putting but I answered politely anyway and told her I am 45.

“Darn!”, she exclaimed, “I was going to give you our Senior discount, but you have to be 55. Too bad!”

Yep. That’s what I was thinking, too bad.

I tried to tell myself it didn’t matter and I quickly realized that my most gorgeous and vibrant friends are either older than 55 or hovering around that number. But it really got to me. I can see me being mistaken for 48 or even 50, but 10 years older than I am? Wow.

I blew off all of my errands, returned home and uncharacteristically laid around and watched old movies on TCM. My reaction to what one person, one stranger, had said surprised me.

What I didn’t know at that time was I was coming down with something. Something painful. Pleurisy. Do you know it? I hope that you don’t because it’s awful.

Pleurisy is the inflammation of the walls of your lungs. The cause of my pleurisy is unknown but I think it has something to do with travel because the last time I got it was after a 3 week trip to Europe. There is no remedy but rest and time. All I can do is wait it out.

Until then, I have lots of time on my hands and lots of thoughts in my head. And I see an opportunity to look for the positive even though I feel lousy both physically and emotionally.

So here goes! These are the positives about my week:

~ My family, especially my husband, has been so wonderful to me by cooking, cleaning, going to the store and putting up with my complaining.

~ This isn’t a positive thing but I am trying to look at it in the most positive light possible. Our kitty, named “Kitty”, is not going to be with us much longer. He is about 15-years-old and has FIV. He was diagnosed with it in 2001 and was expected to live five more years at the maximum.

Although it is very sad to know that the end of Kitty’s life is near and we will miss him terribly, we are grateful that he lived as long as he has, that we have given him a good life and that he has given us so much love, affection and entertainment.

~ I spent three hours at the doctor’s on Wednesday. I had an EKG, chest X-ray, blood tests, and a thorough exam. I am enormously thankful that I have such good health care so that when I feel poorly, I can find out why. So many people don’t have that luxury.

~ Something good did come out of my thrift shop visit. I found this like-new suede clutch in a deep forest green shade for $5.00.

And a denim jacket from Sundance for $7.00 that fits perfectly and probably cost about $100+ new.

~ Confining myself to my home has allowed me some guilt-free lounging time. I have been watching old movies like Sunset Boulevard and Casablanca as well as catching up with my more modern loves, The Newsroom and The Killing. Are you watching a favorite series right now?

~ I also used my down time to create a Facebook page, managed by me and Jill, that’s all about How I Wear My. We will be featuring participants’ looks, outfit ideas, updates and information on themes, and more!

We also have an email address just for HIWM photo submissions and anything else HIWM related: [email protected]

At the start of each month, the Facebook cover photo shown above will change. It will always include photos of participants of HIWM.

If you’re on Facebook, come on over and “like” How I Wear My!

~ Above all else, I am happy to be alive and healthy. It stung being mistaken for being 10 years older, I cannot lie about that.  But it was a good lesson for me: I am more than my looks. I am more than my age. And I am more than someone else’s evaluation of me.

If we rely on our looks to get us through life, we will surely grow to regret it. A kind heart, an educated and curious mind and a positive outlook are not only more important and rewarding qualities than the physical but they can last a lifetime, while physical attributes fade.

What was positive…or not so positive about your week?
Please share!
xo, Adrienne

1. August 2, 2013 / 5:24 pm

OMG, I had pleurisy when I was about 12. It was the WORST. I thought I was going to DIE, so painful. I’m so sorry you’ve had to experience this!! I’m glad you were able to get it diagnosed and hope you are on the mend.

• August 2, 2013 / 5:30 pm

And you never got it again? I have had it twice now and my doctor says I am now prone to get it. Eek! It’s so awful!
      I think I inhaled some spores or something while staying a night at Harris Ranch.

I thought I was on the mend but woke up today feeling poorly again. I am sure I will be better soon. Fingers crossed!

• August 2, 2013 / 5:35 pm

Never had it again. At the time I had it, we had not been anywhere, no travel. I think the doctor said it was a complication from a simple cold.

• August 2, 2013 / 5:40 pm

That’s how I got it the first time…caught a cold on the way home from Paris, then came down with crushing chest pain – like suffocating – and ended up in the ER. That’s when I was diagnosed with pleurisy initially.
      This time, no cold unless I didn’t know I had one. Such an awful condition.

2. August 2, 2013 / 5:34 pm

I love the suede bag and the movies, and hate that you’re having such a rough time. Hopefully rest and good care will have you up and around again soon. Take care of yourself!

And if it helps at all, I don’t think you look like you’re in your 40s. You look fantastic. Perhaps the thrift shop lady needs to have her near vision checked! 🙂 Feel better soon!

• August 2, 2013 / 5:43 pm

Thank you, Amy!

I was looking pretty run down that day so I can sort of see, but still….maybe they could just put up a sign instead of asking their customers how old they are. That experience gave me a complex! But I am over it now…mostly 😉

3. August 2, 2013 / 5:36 pm

Watch Parade’s End. You’ll feel MUCH better… 😉

• August 2, 2013 / 5:44 pm

I tried to find that today…looked on Netflix (not the DVD but the instant) and I couldn’t find it on OnDemand either. I will have to look online to see if I can find it.

4. August 2, 2013 / 5:36 pm

I am so sorry you are sick. And so sorry about the kitty. Such a pretty little cat.

Don’t let that thrift store thing get you done….perhaps they see a lot of young looking 55 year olds in the store. It’s not uncommon. They may ask everyone that question….just like someone may ask if you are 21. 🙂

Leigh

• August 2, 2013 / 6:02 pm

He is a very pretty cat. So regal and confident. He and Bill have a close relationship so I know it will be hard on Bill, too.

I really do think the clerk wanted to let everyone know about the senior discount and was perhaps a bit overzealous. I don’t think there was anything snarky about it and let’s be honest, I am middle aged! It’s not entirely impossible that I would be 55.

5. August 2, 2013 / 6:15 pm

Oh Adrienne, this happened to me too. Like you, I am 10 years shy of the senior discount, and the clerk was easily 10 years younger than me. And, like you, I justified the question a hundred ways to Sunday, but the truth is that it stung something fierce. There’s no way around it: We are middle aged and it feels sorta lousy.

That said, you look great and you are a shining example of healthy, positive living.

• August 3, 2013 / 8:24 pm

Yes it does, Drew. It does feel lousy sometimes to be middle aged. I find it more challenging than I thought it would be in more ways than one.
      Thank you for sharing your experience.

6. August 2, 2013 / 7:28 pm

My sympathies, both on the pleurisy and being mistaken for a senior citizen! I think the woman in the store was either being a bitch or she needs glasses – there’s no way you look an older than 40! Maybe you were already getting sick and looking a little drawn. I hope you feel better soon!

• August 3, 2013 / 8:27 pm

I think the clerk was very excited about Senior Discount Day. My guess is it was the first day they were doing it and maybe she was told to ask everyone their age or extremely gung-ho about it. I might suggest to them a sign announcing the Senior Discount. Makes things less awkward for everyone!

7. August 2, 2013 / 8:32 pm

The same thing happened to me at the Goodwill probably when I was 51 or 52, so I wasn’t happy about that either! Some people are not a good judge of age, you definitely don’t look remotely close to 55, maybe because you weren’t feeling your best that day. Think of it in the reverse of being carded for alcohol, they have to ask if you look 35 or younger. 🙂

My hairdresser has the WORST lighting in her salon that gives off a yellowish cast and I was so depressed after I left there on Tues. I looked so OLD! I thought damn all this stress in my life is starting to take it’s toll. Even though I wouldn’t do plastic surgery I sure felt like it that day. Nordstrom’s lighting is bad too, every time I try clothes on there I think to myself do I really look this bad??? Maybe that is why I order on line from them most of the time. 🙁

I had pleurisy years ago after a bout of bronchitis. The weird thing is I was at my OB/GYN doctor and he detected it and said I needed to go back to my G.P. to get an x-ray. I wasn’t feeling bad or having the usual chest pain that goes along with it. Weird.

Sorry to hear about Kitty, it’s always so difficult to part with a pet. How wonderful that he lived longer than predicted so you had more years to spend with him.

Hope you are feeling better now!

• August 4, 2013 / 12:45 pm

I did think of that reverse thing with the alcohol carding. I still get carded – I think most of us do – even though I know they know I am well over 21!

I have also found that at Nordstrom has awful lighting. Why don’t they fix that? They would sell more clothes if people looked better in that light!

That is weird about your pleurisy. I wonder why you had no pain and how your doctor could tell? It’s such a weird condition…nothing you can do to treat it unless it gets infected, which thankfully, I don’t have.

I am feeling better than I did earlier this week…but not great. Still home resting. I did manage to get out and see the world a little on Saturday but I am back home today lounging. Thanks for your sweet note!

8. August 2, 2013 / 8:59 pm

Oh my dear Adrienne… just got home tonight… so just a quick comment… i will be back again. But the thought of somebody
    thinking you were that old… just made me laugh out loud! You my dear are so gorgeous… and barely even look your age! I was telling my daughter what a perfect model you have been for my jewelry… because you are such a gorgeous 40 something… Don’t take the comment to heart dear friend… the older I get… and i within months will be 55… the less I can recognize the age of those below me. Believe me… you are young, gorgeous and vibrant!!!

much love to you my dear… so sorry your week was less than you hoped… I will be back tomorrow to say more. Until then…xoxox

• August 4, 2013 / 12:51 pm

I agree with you. I have a hard time determining age myself. You could easily pass for younger than me any day!
      It was not a great week, that is for sure. But today, Sunday, starts a new week and for that I am happy. I am almost back to my old self…hoping my mid-week I will be 100%!
      xo, A

9. August 2, 2013 / 9:42 pm

First of all, so sorry to hear you have not been well. Pleurisy sounds so scary and painful. Glad you can rest and take some time to just watch movies and that stuff. You just need to take care of yourself. Maybe you were getting a bit rundown.

I am also so sorry about the kitty! It’s just hard to go through this and I have with so many pets. You are right to focus on all the good years he has had with you. I’m sure his life wouldn’t have been what it was without you! Also sorry about your chicken too.

Still cannot believe that comment about your age! It’s like thinking Elle McPherson looks 55! Goodness, she was clearly not being nice or just blind! Crazy though and if it were me I too would be upset! At least you got that totally cute clutch on that trip! Love it.

Take care and I am thinking of you dear Adrienne.
    xx Kim

• August 4, 2013 / 12:55 pm

Kim, I really think I breathed in something “off” while we were in the Harris Ranch area. They have an enormous cattle lot, lots of agriculture of all kinds and wind…I bet there was all sorts of stuff in the air.

Kitty is hanging in there soon. I thought for sure he would need to be put down over the weekend, but he is still purring, drinking water and using the litter box. The saddest part is he can’t jump up on things and we all know cats love to sit on things up high. We are helping him as much as we can.

I think the thrift store woman was being overzealous and was just so excited about the Senior Day discount, she didn’t think she’d be offending anyone by asking their age. If I am brave enough, I will go in again tomorrow – Senior Day – and see if it happens again….but what if it does??

Thank you for your kindness, Kim. xo

10. August 2, 2013 / 10:11 pm

A. – The thrift shop lady was just “blindly” following her memorized script. My favorite charity shop does the same thing and I exclaim, “Not yet. Darn!” along with a big smile. That always gets them to smile and apologize, “No worries”, I say. 🙂

My parents had a cat with FIV her entire life way over 15 years. Googled FIV in cats just to be sure and your Kitty does not look like he is showing any signs of near death or sickness – you’re giving him such a great life! Enjoy.

Looking forward to hearing you are on the mend. Take care!

• August 4, 2013 / 1:00 pm

Linda,
      I think you’re right. I also think she was itching to get someone to use the discount…she was very eager to give it to a customer.

The photo I posted is old. Probably 3 years old. He is super skinny now. It’s very sad. And his agility is compromised. As soon as he starts showing that he’s in pain, we will take him in to be euthanized. So far, he’s still drinking water, eating a treat now and then, and purring. Though it is obvious he is not long for this world, poor thing.

I am getting close to being fully recovered but still under the weather, unfortunately. But I am okay with it. Getting lots of stuff done that I have to sit on my rear to do. Miss being active though.
      Thank you for your kind words!

11. August 2, 2013 / 10:22 pm

Adrienne, first I wish you all the best and you please take your time for a full recovery. We tend to ignore our colds and coughs because they are “just colds” and go back to work to soon or take on our routine schedule too quickly. Unfortunately too often I hear about pneumonias afterwards. Your pleurisy is equally bad and I am glad your family is taking good care of you.

On the senior discount… don’t know what to say – I am 50 but also don’t want to be asked whether I am 55… but by all means, YOU certainly don’t even look your real age but much younger! I am sure it was a routine question and she didn’t even look at you. Just laugh about it!

I hope this weekend and next week will be much more positive for you.
    All the best,
    Annette | Lady of Style

• August 4, 2013 / 1:16 pm

Annette,

It is easy to ignore a cold, especially a mild one, and chalk it up to allergies or general fatigue. How it so quickly turned into pleurisy is a mystery. I really do think it’s travel related and I breathed something in that irritated my lungs or maybe I picked up a bug on my vacation. Whatever the cause, I am tired of it and ready to get back to things as usual!

Hope you are having a great weekend!
      A

12. August 3, 2013 / 3:40 am

hi Adrienne, I found your blog through Tamera. I have enjoyed reading it. I especially liked the packing post and how you displayed each outfit. I am sorry you are not feeling well and your little kitty’s sickness. I think the GW employees should ask if you gualify for the discount, not your age. It is just the polite thing to do. I always laugh a little when they ask me, and say I wish I was old enough for the discount, hey, 20% adds up!

• August 4, 2013 / 1:19 pm

Hi Christy,

Isn’t Tamera wonderful? I love her and her blog.
      It was actually not GW but another local thrift shop that raises money for the community. I think that asking if I qualify might soften the blow a little. But a prominent sign at the register would be even better. Maybe I will make one up for them!
      Thank you for stopping by, Christy!

13. August 3, 2013 / 4:46 am

I hope that by today you are feeling better. I am so sorry to hear that you are so uncomfortable though your positive outlook is inspiring. I am also sorry to hear about Kitty, a very sad time for sure. As for the ‘crazy’ lady who thought you were older than you are just chalk it up to another one of those days. Believe me, I understand the initial shock and pain of it as we have been having some difficult times of late and I was once asked if my own children were my grandchildren. I was devastated and embarrassed but what can you do? I think you look wonderful and I think your relationship with your family and the way you express yourself should make you proud. So, hopefully soon that lady will get some glasses and realize how sometimes waiting for someone to ask for the discount might be better than suggesting it

• August 4, 2013 / 1:29 pm

Oh no! That would be hard to hear, too. I think some people speak without thinking. We all do it at some point…I know I have! But that doesn’t take away the sting when we are on the receiving end of someone else’s foot-in-mouth comment.
      Thank you so much for the comment. It’s so nice to hear from you on my blog!

14. August 3, 2013 / 5:40 am

So sorry you have pleurisy, have heard it’s very painful. With everything else you’ve been through this week, amazed you were able to pull off a Positively Friday post. Rest and feel better. xo

• August 4, 2013 / 1:30 pm

Pleurisy is awful! I hate it. But at least it wasn’t something serious and for that I am grateful.
      Hoping to be over it all by Tuesday..that’s the goal right now.
      xoxo, A

15. August 3, 2013 / 5:40 am

I am so sorry you are feeling bad and hope that this heals quickly…please take care of yourself…anything with the lungs needs to be taken seriously. That woman should not be in the service business!! First of all you are GORGEOUS and do not look anywhere close to 55!!!! When I was around 52, I had a kid working at ROSS ask me if a basketball I was buying was for my grandson (it was for my son) and that bothered me for a long time. Now, that I am 60 and have a grandson, it would be fine of course. I am sorry about saying goodbye to a beloved pet at the same time…just please take care of yourself, Adrienne! Don’t think again about what the woman said!!

• August 4, 2013 / 1:34 pm

Thank you, Pam. I am pretty much over it by now…what with all the kind comments from you all. The fact is I am middle-aged and it is hard to determine how old people are these days. I have to remember that instead of taking things like that to heart.

16. August 3, 2013 / 5:51 am

I am so sorry to hear you are hurting… seriously…

I had walking pneumonia years ago and after that I decided to get a pneumonia shot and have never had a problem with my lungs since, and it also seemed to keep a lot of colds at bay. I don’t know if that would be a helpful shot for you to get or not, but considering this is your second time with pleurisy you may want to discuss with your doctor. I was in my 40’s when I got the pneumonia vaccination. Also mentioned it to my mother in law who had a bout of pneumonia and she got the shot as well and has had no extreme colds or lung problems since.

I can understand what a bummer of a week this must have been for you. Take care and get well soon.. xox

• August 4, 2013 / 1:40 pm

Diane,
      So is a pneumonia shot different from a flu shot? I have never had either vaccine. I always worry it will actually get me sick rather than make me immune.
      I had pneumonia twice as a young adult but haven’t had it since. I will email my doctor and ask her about the pneumonia shot. It might be worth getting because I NEVER want to get this pleurisy thing again! It’s dreadfully painful.

• August 5, 2013 / 4:46 am

Yes, a pneumonia shot is different from a flu shot. The flu shot is annual because each year it could be a different strain of flu going around. The pneumonia shot is just for pneumonia. Some doctors have said it is a once per lifetime shot and others have told me it’s like once every ten years. I had the pneumonia shot 10 or 15 years ago and have had very few cold, and absolutely no pneumonia or pleurisy since. My mother in law had a dreadful, very heavy cold that turned into pneumonia some years ago and I told her about the shot so she went to her doctor and got it as well and no more colds. She is in her early 80’s. I’m surprised that more doctors don’t offer this shot to the elderly especially. I know when I had walking pneumonia when I was in my 30’s it felt like a Mac truck on my chest and I NEVER want to feel that way again. I will be 60 next year and don’t think my lungs could take it again. IF your doctor won’t give you the shot, then most places that offer the flu shot in the fall months, like CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart, they generally offer the pneumonia shot if you ask them. Good luck and stay well!!

17. August 3, 2013 / 5:57 am

So sorry to hear about your pleurisy! And grateful that you’ve been able to be cared for, and rest.

I second the vote for Parade’s End; my b.f. Benedict C. is marvelous and will give you happy-tears. Pls. don’t worry about the thrift store comment – I think I was asked about the Senior Discount once when I was 37 (and looked just 37!) It doesn’t mean a thing about how beautiful you are: youthful, yes, but also with a kind and warm face.

• August 4, 2013 / 1:45 pm

I found Parade’s End! I am going to start watching it this week. In the meantime, did you know The Killing season finale is on tonight?

Senior discount at 37??? That is insane. And you are right – it’s about what’s inside.
      xo, A

18. August 3, 2013 / 7:08 am

Hello my dear! Hope you are continuing to rest and take care … Hope you are able to make the most of your weekend while doing so.

xoxo
    Tamera

• August 4, 2013 / 1:47 pm

I did manage to get out and run a few errands. I am trying to muster up the energy to go out and buy some strawberries and take some photos of all the grapes on the vines.
      Hope you had a great weekend!
      xoxo, A

19. August 3, 2013 / 8:06 am

So sorry about your pleurisy, just continue to rest. I actually think you look younger than your age! I just became a grandmother at 40 and I don’t think of myself as being old enough to be a grandma. Wanted to share my positive with you. My grandson was born 13 weeks early due to a car accident that my daughter had. He is now 8 weeks old and doing so much better than any thought he would. He has truly taught me to appreciate the smaller things in life, the things we take for granted. It was a big step last week when he got to start drinking from a bottle, and the week before that he finally got to start wearing clothes instead of just a diaper.

I hope you get better soon. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Donna

• August 4, 2013 / 1:49 pm

Oh my goodness, Donna! What a story with a happy, happy ending!
      So glad to hear your grandbaby is doing well and that your daughter did not get seriously injured (I hope).
      Sending my most positive thoughts to you that your grandson continues to improve.
      Thank you so much for sharing your positive. Such wonderful news!

20. August 3, 2013 / 8:59 am

So sorry to hear that you are ill.
    You must rest and take time to mend.
    I have had pneumonia three times and my doctor says I am a higher risk for getting it again…
    perhaps it is similar to pleurisy.

I cannot imagine anyone thinking you were 55! Seriously that woman needs glasses.
    I hope you feel better soon,
    Hugs
    Leslie

• August 4, 2013 / 2:12 pm

Thank you, Leslie. I am feeling better now but not quite there! So sorry you have a tendency to get pneumonia. I am sure that cases of pneumonia and pleurisy both compromise our lungs in the short and long term.
      A

21. August 3, 2013 / 9:48 am

My husband was just diagnosed with pleurisy! I was unfamiliar with at the time- He started feeling badly after flying home from a business trip- I think airlines these days are like petri dishes! It is nasty condition but antibiotics seem to be helping! (of course he managed to play golf hmmm)
    Hope your feeling better soon- and love the How I wear my Site- great age appropriate and chic fashion inspiration!

• August 4, 2013 / 2:17 pm

How weird but I am not surprised it followed a trip. And you’re right, planes are like petri dishes. Maybe one day they will invent a way to clean the air inside the cabin to prevent so many bugs from being exchanged.
      Glad you like the new HIWM page. I think it’s going to be fun posting photos of participants and a great place to interact!

22. August 3, 2013 / 9:49 am

So sorry you are ill. I’ve never had pleurisy but have had pneumonia which I am told can develop from pleurisy, so be really, really careful. I hear what you are saying about being more than a number, but I still would have felt like slapping the woman if for no other reason than her indiscretion (has she never heard about never asking a woman her age?)
    Mind you, in the Med (Spain and Italy) discretion is not their strong point and I was continually asked my age, if I had children and why I didn’t have children! Take care and just allow yourself to hold a “pity-party” if you feel like it 😉

• August 4, 2013 / 2:21 pm

Can it turn into pneumonia? Yikes. I had better be extra careful. I want to get better asap!
      I was baffled as to why the clerk asked me my age. She was older than I am – am certain of that – and I thought it was a given that you don’t ask another person their age unless it’s imperative that you know. She was so excited about this Senior day business, I guess she forgot that people could be offended by being asked their age. Oh well. It was an experience I won’t soon forget!

23. August 3, 2013 / 9:50 am

I enjoy your blog/emails so much and am sorry to hear that you’re ill. As for the lady at the thrift store, I think she is probably on auto-pilot and asks the age of everyone who could conceivably be within the discount age range (i.e. anyone over 40). It can go both ways – two days ago I was carded for something that requires a participant to be over 18; I am 56 and pretty darn sure I don’t look like a 17 year old. 😉 Take care and get well soon.

Terry

P.S. Love the suede clutch!

• August 4, 2013 / 3:01 pm

Hi Terry!

I think you’re right. She is either on auto-pilot or very excited about Senior day…maybe a little too excited!

Good for your for being carded to make sure you’re over 18! That’s awesome!

I really love that suede clutch, too. I have a thing for that deep green shade. Can’t wait to carry it this fall.

24. August 3, 2013 / 9:51 am

Ps – so sorry to hear about your beautiful kitty- but what a miracle he had such a long happy life!

• August 4, 2013 / 3:04 pm

Thank you for your words of sympathy. I am so happy he lived longer than the vet said he would. I cried and cried when we initially got the diagnosis of FIV many years ago. We were told to keep him indoors to avoid fights and injuries. We did just that – he actually loves being an indoor cat – and that has extended his life well beyond the initial diagnosis. I wish he could stay around a few more years but I ear that is not in the cards.

25. August 3, 2013 / 11:26 am

So sorry to hear you are so sick and that your cat is also doing poorly. No doubt it has been a bad week. The topper was the woman at the thrift store. When you are already down she pushed you a bit further.

From all of the crap you’ve been through this past week surely that means that there is only good news on the horizon for you. If I were you I’d be out buying a lottery ticket right about now.

Just for the record…you do not look anywhere near 55 years old. Honestly. I’m not blowing smoke here.

So chalk the week up to “one of those” and move forward by getting better.

Hugs!

Suzanne

• August 4, 2013 / 3:13 pm

Yes, one of those weeks. Right after I published this post, my husband told me our cutest chicken had died. It’s just something all the time! I am happy to be starting a new week today, lying low and taking it easy this week.
      Hope you are well!
      xo, Adrienne

26. August 3, 2013 / 5:10 pm

You don’t look 55! You don’t even look 45! I can understand how upsetting that would be, once a representative for a weight loss program (that won’t allow people to join unless they’re overweight) tried to sign me up – I was 19 and no bigger than a US size 4. Ouch.

• August 4, 2013 / 3:15 pm

Oh no! I bet she was just looking to make some commission thinking that every woman wants to lose weight, which isn’t true.

27. August 3, 2013 / 5:43 pm

sorry about your kitty, I had one many years ago as well and he he repeatedly got abcesses. I made the hard decision one day when he was really unwell with an abcess to have him put to sleep as I knew that it would be hard work for him to recover. My uncle gets pleurisy quite often, the pain is horrible. I would say that your ill health that day may have made you look drawn and older. Just be kind to yourself and take care! You will bounce back!

• August 4, 2013 / 3:17 pm

We are getting close to putting our kitty down. We think it’s time, then he goes and does something that makes us think he’s still happy and comfortable. It’s hard, especially on Bill. He and Kitty have a special connection.
      Pleurisy is horrible. I would not wish for anyone to have it!
      Hoping to bounce back this week. That is my biggest goal!

28. August 4, 2013 / 7:44 am

I hope you feel better soon – I have had pleurisy and its definitely no fun. Lots of rest! Don’t let what one person says bother you – like you said you are more than a number. (Plus she probably was in need of some glasses! ). xxoo

• August 4, 2013 / 3:19 pm

Thanks, Cathi! I am starting to see my way out of this illness. I feel about 80% of the way there.

29. August 14, 2013 / 8:36 am

The last time I colored my hair lighter brown and added highlights it aged me enough that I got asked often whether I qualified for the senior discount, at one of the nearby department stores. I think I’ll stick to darker hair color, and shopping online from now on! ha!