A Wine Country Wedding Look

A Wine Country Wedding Look
Saturday, my husband and I had the pleasure and privilege of attending the wedding of some friends of ours. The ceremony and reception took place at a private vineyard ranch owned by the bride’s family in the hills above Kenwood.I found this A.B.S. (Allen Schwartz) dress at Goodwill for $6.99 a couple of weeks ago and have been itching to wear it somewhere special. It was a wine country wedding look that worked for me!

A wine country wedding was the perfect occasion. It’s navy blue, an appropriate color for a fall wedding, and it shows just enough skin to be fun and flirty but not too much to look summery. I love the key-hole detail at the neckline and the short gathered sleeves. And the length of the dress is ideal for me.

I think this is called a skater dress, a new trend that I’ve been seeing a lot of online lately. Skater dresses have fuller skirts with a fitted bodice. I think it’s a cut that would flatter many different figures. I know it works for mine!

I pinned my hair to one side with a rhinestone embellished bobby pin and wore simple diamond studs.

I had a shellac manicure earlier in the week. After a summer of wearing nude polishes on my nails – or no polish at all – I was ready for something darker and fall-like. I chose gray for something new and I love it. I might be the color I wear all season long.

I’ve also been chomping at the bit to take my new d’orsay pumps from Sole Society out of the box. I am crazy about the warm gray color and sexy ankle strap.

But finding a bag to go with my dress and my shoes was not easy. Black wouldn’t work and I wanted to keep my look neutral so none of my colorful clutches appealed to me either.

The clay-colored tote I bought in Paris last March came with a quilted clutch. It wasn’t the best looking clutch to carry with my dress and shoes but it was acceptable. And it ended up sitting on a table most of the night anyway.

Once we arrived at the event taking place at one of the homes on the property, we were directed to the backyard. What a sight to see when we turned the corner! Can you imagine waking up to this view every morning? Just breathtaking.

We took our seats and waited for the ceremony to begin. The color scheme was orange, deep purple and ecru. The bridesmaids wore gorgeous plum colored draped high-low dresses and the groom and his groomsmen wore tan suits with vests and orange ties.

The vows were exchanged under an giant oak tree from which hung these darling floral arrangements in glass jars.

After the ceremony, it was time to have a glass of champagne and find our table. We were welcomed with a beautiful table setting complete with a gorgeous floral arrangement.

I am so glad I remembered to ask a friend to take a photo of me and Bill.

Dinner was served family style. We had delicious food and the caterers went over and above with their service. Let’s just say my wine glass was never empty!

Even after the meal was finished and the plates were cleared, the tables still looked lovely.

After dinner, we took a walk around the immediate property and into the nearby vineyard. I think this time of year is the best time of year in the wine country.

If you ever plan a trip to Northern California, I suggest choosing September and October to come. The grapes are big and colorful and sweet tasting and the smell of vineyard harvest season is in the air.

It cools off considerably once the sun goes down in the wine country. I brought along my new navy and off-white houndstooth scarf and I am so glad I did. Between the wrap, the wine, my husband and lots of dancing, I stayed warm throughout the evening.

It was a magical and memorable evening for us and certainly for the bride and groom and their families.

At the end of the night, a pristine and regal-looking white horse was led up to the front of the house. The groom got onto the saddle first, followed by the bride, who draped the long ivory train of her wedding gown around the back of the horse. She held onto her new husband as they said their goodbyes while we all stood and watched them, mouths agape, ride away into the night.

Yes, that really did happen and yes, I – the woman who takes photos of everything all the time –  left my camera on the table inside my clutch.

Have you attended or do you plan to attend any weddings this fall?
Do you like skater dresses? I think it’s my new favorite dress style!
xo, Adrienne

P.S. Don’t forget about How I Wear My: Animal Print on October 2nd.

Please have your photo to me or Jill by end of the day on October 1st to be featured.

Be sure to include a line or two about your look!

Please send submissions to: [email protected]

1. September 29, 2013 / 12:34 pm

Adrienne, your story and the photos sound and look like a fairy-tale! And you are the princess in it 🙂
    I love your dress and your shoes too. I wore a black skaterdress on the blog recently and find these dresses very flattering indeed.
    As I mentioned before, I can never get enough of your photos, the scenery is so beautiful!

Annette | Lady of Style

• September 30, 2013 / 9:25 am

I am wondering where skater dresses have been all my life! I don’t like the body con dresses because I can’t suck in my gut for more than about 10 seconds at a time.
      I do live in such a picturesque part of the world. It’s hard to take a bad photo around here!

2. September 29, 2013 / 1:09 pm

I agree with Annette- a true fairy-tale wedding. And your dress is just perfect, I think, for the happy occasion.

3. September 29, 2013 / 1:25 pm

Wow, the wedding sounds amazing…like a movie. I loved the picture of the grapes on the vine…and that dress, what a find? It looks great on you and I loved the shoes you paired it with. You are gorgeous, Adrienne. Thanks for sharing the wedding with us. Have a great week!

• September 30, 2013 / 9:42 am

It was a fantastic wedding…one of the best I have been to.
      I was surprised to find that dress at Goodwill. It’s in perfect condition, too. I don’t think it’s ever been worn!

4. September 29, 2013 / 1:49 pm

I can’t believe you forgot your camera for the bride and groom on the white horse!!! The wedding truly does sound like a fairy tale and I love the fall color combination for it as well, beautiful and unusual. You look fabulous, love the skater dress style and your shoes are very sexy for sure. Are they comfortable?

• September 30, 2013 / 12:16 pm

I know and I just heard from the mother of the bride. She didn’t have hers with her either! Good thing the wedding photographers were still there. I am sure they captured the moment.
      The shoes are comfortable but I ended up switching them out for a pair of patent leather pumps after the ceremony because the grass was damp and I didn’t want to ruin the covering on the heels. So I only wore them for about an hour – they felt great though.

5. September 29, 2013 / 2:00 pm

Oh man…I’m so sad you forgot your camera! I would have loved to see that romantic image.

What a gorgeous wedding. Lovely details but not too overdone. Plus the gorgeous location.

You looked lovely. I can’t believe the dress only cost $7! I also love all the soft grey accessories.

bisous
    Suzanne

• September 30, 2013 / 2:29 pm

I know! Me, too. I think the professional photographer captured it so hopefully photos will surface online eventually.
      You’re right – not too overdone. It really was one of the best weddings I have attended and it was relaxing.
      Yes to great $7 dresses! I really did try to buy a fancy new one but none were as nice as this one!

6. September 29, 2013 / 2:57 pm

Adrienne dear-I have so many thoughts on this. First off-you and Bill look so happy and beautiful. What a perfect event and date night. Weddings are SO romantic. The setting, the colors, the flowers, the vineyard, the tables, the luscious grapes-it’s endless. Gorgeous photos! Your dress-what a find and so perfect on you. Glad you broke out those fab heels for the first time-great kicks! With my 83 year old mom just getting married you know I love a wedding ;)! Great post!
    xx, Heather

• September 30, 2013 / 2:30 pm

Wedding are romantic and fun and a great opportunity to dress up. I love my new shoes…they are very pretty and I love the color.
      So fun that your mom got married at 83 – go her!
      xoxo

7. September 29, 2013 / 3:45 pm

What a gorgeous, classic and timeless look. And you look so beautiful.

• September 30, 2013 / 9:43 am

Thank you! It’s my new favorite dress style. I think I want to find another one.

8. September 29, 2013 / 5:14 pm

You look gorgeous for a wine country wedding. I love outdoor weddings!

Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

• September 30, 2013 / 9:44 am

Me too! Especially this time of year – the vineyards are so gorgeous.

9. September 29, 2013 / 5:43 pm

I think you wore the perfect outfit to what sounds like the perfect wedding. Wow!

10. September 29, 2013 / 8:50 pm

Love the dress, actually the whole outfit you chose!

What a beautiful wedding location, those views are something! I went to look at a wedding venue at a golf course yesterday with Amanda, as Nick had another obligation. Although the backdrop is not as gorgeous as the one you attended, it is quite a beautiful setting with nice views and may be the one. We will see!

Great photo of you and Bill. 🙂

• September 30, 2013 / 9:23 am

How fun for you guys to start looking around at wedding venues! I hope you find something you all love.

11. September 30, 2013 / 3:48 am

Beautiful dress and look, as always. I am dying to order those shoes. Do they run small?

• September 30, 2013 / 8:36 am

Hi Leigh,

They run pretty close to true size but maybe a tiny bit on the small side. So if you’re in between sizes, I would order a size up. They are pretty comfortable considering they are pointy-toed pumps. I am very happy with them!

• October 1, 2013 / 4:43 am

Thank you Adrienne! They look so good on you! Very classy outfit

12. September 30, 2013 / 6:45 am

You look gorgeous and actually I would say you chose the perfect clutch! I love that it’s an off-shade of gray/taupe and that you had different tones of gray through your entire look–the nails, the bag, the shoes. And I love the unexpected houndstooth wrap. A nice final touch! XO, Jill

• September 30, 2013 / 8:38 am

Good point about mixing the different shades of grey and taupe. I was trying to envision what would look good and I couldn’t come up with anything. That bag was the best I could do and I think it worler well enough.
      I love my houndstooth wrap. I am liking houndstooth this season but I don’t want to wear a whole lot of it…a scarf is enough for me!

13. September 30, 2013 / 8:53 am

A beautiful dress, love the color and design, so simple, but very beautiful details, especially the pleated skirt. The shoes, bag and scarf are fantastic and are perfect in the outfit. Very elegantly and simply, a perfect combination.

14. September 30, 2013 / 1:01 pm

You look beautiful in that dress and what a coup at $6.99! The wedding looks like it was a wonderful affair. Thanks for sharing it with us!
    I wore a “skater” dress (my first) yesterday. I got mine off of the clearance rack at JCP for $17 😉

Alicia

15. Wow! you look gorgeous. I love the dress and your shoes………and your clutch. I think it all went so well together. The wrap also looked wonderful. I love how you put everything together. So much thought goes into your outfits. And what a beautiful place to hold a wedding. You can’t help but feel romantic.
    Van
    xx
    www.luxuria-jewellery.com

16. October 1, 2013 / 12:03 pm

I can’t believe you only paid $7 for that cute dress! Great find!

17. October 2, 2013 / 10:23 pm

I don’t know how I missed this post. That dress looks amazing on you! Gorgeous. I’m in love with the shoes too! Looks like it was a fun and beautiful wedding!
    xxKim
    p.s. The photo of you on Jill’s blog today was so pretty! You could be in Vogue. You need to use it on the blog!

18. October 6, 2013 / 11:06 pm

Love your skater dress and the shoes. You have a fantastic pair of pins, as we Brits say! I agree that skater dresses suit most people. I love that style.