I am waking up this morning a 46-year-old. To celebrate, my husband and I are headed to San Francisco later today. I am more than a little excited!

Here’s my plan for having the ideal (for me) birthday:

~ I’m going to eat sourdough bread and clam chowder and all the Chinese, Indian, Italian and Middle Eastern food I want.

~ I’m going to laugh a lot and reminiscence about old times with dear friends.

~ I’m going to stay up late and wake up when I feel like it.

~ I am not going to watch TV or read a newspaper.

~ I’m going to drink a martini at sunset at the Top of the Mark.

~ I ‘m going to shop for wine colored lipstick and perfume in Union Square.

~ And I am going to be carefree for a couple of days. No to-do lists, no worrying and I am going to live in the moment.

Doesn’t that sound like a good way to spend a birthday?

I’ll be back soon with lots of tales from our trip.

In the meantime, find me on Instagram where I’ll be posting lots of photos of the beautiful city by the bay.
Happy Friday, friends!
xo, Adrienne

1. October 25, 2013 / 5:22 am

Happy birthday!! Hope you have an amazing time and by your plans it seems you will – hope you get spoiled 🙂

• October 25, 2013 / 5:32 am

Thank you! I have already started the day spoiled with breakfast in bed and a new Vitamix blender from my husband! So excited to try it out next week – will need lots of healthy smoothies after a weekend of indulgence 😉

2. October 25, 2013 / 5:22 am

Happy & serene birthday to you, lady!!

3. October 25, 2013 / 5:29 am

Have an absolutely wonderful birthday and eat a TON of sourdough bread. Are you thinking of a Tom Ford perfume? Beautiful lipsticks by him too. xoxo

• October 25, 2013 / 5:33 am

You know me well! Yes, Tom Ford. I really like the Neroli Portofino but his other scents are wonderful, too. xoxo

4. October 25, 2013 / 5:35 am

It sounds fabulous, and a very Happy Birthday to you!! (We’re off to Vegas in a couple of hours for a belated celebration of le monsieur’s bithday.)

5. October 25, 2013 / 6:10 am

Happy birthday beautiful!!! It sounds like a wonderful weekend ahead!

Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

• October 25, 2013 / 8:52 am

Thank you, Alice! I am looking forward to a good time!

6. October 25, 2013 / 6:13 am

Sounds absolutely fabulous! Happy Birthday and may it be all that you want it to be …and more!

7. October 25, 2013 / 6:21 am

Have a joyous birthday, A! Everything is in place for it to be just that : >

• October 25, 2013 / 8:58 am

Thank you, Patti. I shall! I hope you’re having a blast in NYC!

8. October 25, 2013 / 6:24 am

My husband loves the sourdough bowls with the clam chowder. 🙂

Sounds like a wonderful birthday in the works! Are you staying at The Intercontinental? Have a great 46th!

• October 25, 2013 / 8:59 am

Yes! We love those, too. I usually avoid them because bread doesn’t always agree with me but this weekend, with the fall weather and all, I think I will take my chances.
      We aren’t staying at the Intercontinental but we are close by. Can’t wait to have a martini there tonight!

9. October 25, 2013 / 7:00 am

Happy Birthday Adrienne! Have fun in the city today. It should be a beautiful day there.

• October 25, 2013 / 9:00 am

Thank you, Susan. The weather in the Bay Area is gorgeous right now. Have a wonderful weekend!

10. October 25, 2013 / 7:25 am

Oh Adrienne … that does sound like an amazing way to spend your birthday!! Your list is absolutely inspiring … birthday or not!! Sending you much birthday love my friend!! Can’t wait to follow your adventures on IG… I am hoping for lots of pics of your amazing birthday!!

• October 25, 2013 / 9:01 am

I always take tons of photos when in the city. It’s such a picturesque place.
      Thank you for the lovely birthday wishes!
      Have a great weekend!

11. October 25, 2013 / 7:37 am

Hi there! Wishing you a very happy birthday and your plans to ‘not plan’ sound perfect, have a wonderful time!!

• October 25, 2013 / 9:01 am

Thank you, Sharon! Not planning – well, a little bit – is the plan!

12. October 25, 2013 / 7:41 am

Happy Birthday beautiful lady! Indulgence is definitely in order.
    xo Jennifer

• October 25, 2013 / 9:03 am

Thank you, Jennifer!
      Lots of indulging already going on. I need to pace myself or I won’t enjoy my lunch and dinner!

• October 25, 2013 / 9:04 am

Yes, the views are fantastic. We have never been to Top of the Mark together…so it’s sort of a first! Martinis are in order for sure.

13. October 25, 2013 / 8:11 am

Happy Birthday, Adrienne! I am sure you will have a fabulous day together, enjoy it!

Big hug,
    Annette | Lady of Style

• October 25, 2013 / 9:04 am

Thank you, Annette. I am really looking forward to seeing old friends this weekend. That is the best part of all!

14. October 25, 2013 / 8:14 am

Happy 46th birthday dear Adrienne! It sounds like you have laid out a most perfect plan for celebrating. I love your choices and the Top of the Mark (where Scott and I started our honeymoon 13 years ago) is super romantic. I hope they have a live band and dancing! Enjoy every moment of this special day gorgeous! I’m sure Bill will spoil you!
    xx, Heather
    PS-Keep an eye out for hot spot restaurants for next month girfriend!

• October 25, 2013 / 9:05 am

I am on it, Heather. Will be checking out the area for good eats.
      That is so romantic that you started your honeymoon at Top of the Mark! I will be thinking of you and Scott this afternoon as we watch the sun set.

15. Happy Birthday A!!! I can’t think of a better way to spend your birthday but in one of my fav cities in the world (and I’ve been to quite a few 😉 I’m salivating just thinking about clam chowder.
    Can’t wait to hear all your birthday news. Sending birthday hugs from London xx

16. October 25, 2013 / 11:02 am

Happy Birthday, Adrienne!! I hope you have an amazing day!!

17. October 25, 2013 / 11:11 am

Bright wishes for a Happy Birthday!!! Your plans sound perfect! As I get older, my birthday celebrations are more about the experiences I love, than big parties or prezzies.

18. October 25, 2013 / 1:16 pm

Have a great time! Drink 2 martinis, for heavens sake. : )

19. October 25, 2013 / 2:58 pm

You are sooooooooo young!! have a great birthday!!!! Laurel

20. October 26, 2013 / 5:06 am

Happy, happy birthday! I think your plans are the best birthday ever!

21. October 26, 2013 / 7:21 am

Happy Birthday to one beautiful 46 year old (who doesn’t look 46)! Have a wonderful birthday getaway! xo

22. October 26, 2013 / 2:56 pm

Happy Birthday, Adrienne! I love spending my birthday someplace else. I hope you have a wonderful couple of days! I can’t wait to hear all about it!

23. October 26, 2013 / 11:34 pm

Congratulations, Adrienne, I hope you and your husband have a lovely time. Enjoy!

Kind regards,

24. October 27, 2013 / 8:32 pm

My 46th is coming up in December! Where have the years gone?! :-O

25. October 28, 2013 / 11:01 am

Sou sounds like the perfect way to spend a birthday weekend. Hope you had a great birthday Adrienne 🙂

26. October 28, 2013 / 7:03 pm

Happy Birthday, I hope you and Bill had a great time! XO, Jill

27. October 28, 2013 / 10:28 pm

Adrienne, I love your list!! I hope it was a beautiful weekend. The photos sure looked great. I know there is a fab blog post to come…

xo Kim

28. November 8, 2013 / 6:07 pm

I’m a loyal reader. Always wondered what your secret is to looking so young! Maybe you can create a post with some of your tips? Happy birthday 🙂

• November 12, 2013 / 1:11 pm

Thank you, Camille! What a nice comment to read. I am happy to create a post on the topic!