Positively Friday: Fall Vineyards, Perfumes, and Close-ups

Positively Friday: Fall Vineyards, Perfumes, and Close-ups
It’s the first Friday of October, my favorite month of the year. Fall is making is presence known around here in beautiful ways.~ A few days ago, my husband and I visited our friend’s vineyard before the grape harvest.

These are Alicante Bouschet grapes, planted decades ago. I love the old vines with their gnarly branches and big leaves.

The vineyard also grows white wine grapes. These grapes are Sauvignon Blanc. They never made it into the barrel…but they did make it to our picnic. They were delicious!

We brought along some finger foods and a little wine and had lunch on the back of my husband’s pick-up.

Soon after we finished our picnic it started to rain. Thankfully, we brought along a couple of umbrellas. We weren’t going to let a few raindrops ruin our afternoon.

~ I mentioned in a post from last month that I tried on a little Tom Ford perfume when I was with Kim at Neiman Marcus. Jill of Everything Just So, my HIWM partner and friend, read about my love for Neroli Portofino and was generous enough to mail me four Tom Ford perfume samples that she received along with a fragrance purchase at Bloomingdales.

So far, I have tried Black Orchid and Violet Blonde. At first I thought that Black Orchid was too heavy for me. But after about 20 minutes, it settled down considerably and now I love it.

The Violet Blonde is lighter and I think more wearable for everyday. Check out Leigh’s post about Violet Blonde. She’s a fan, too.

~ Between the samples I already had laying around, a few I had gotten with purchases at Neiman Marcus and these four from Jill, I needed to find a place to keep them. Sure, I could stick them in a drawer somewhere but they wouldn’t get used. Out of sight, out of mind, you know.

I put a recent thrift shop purchase, a 50 cent sherry glass, to use. Now, I keep all my samples in one place on my dresser and I think it looks darling amongst my other choctchkies.

Where do you keep your perfume samples?

~ How I Wear My: Animal Print was a big success this week. Between my post and Jill’s we had over 40 different looks! Be sure to check them out if you haven’t already. And remember that next month’s HIWM theme is “Jeans”

~ My driver’s license arrived earlier than I thought it would. My photo is not horrible so I guess that’s a positive, but it’s not great either.

I wonder if they could have made it a little more close-up. I mean really, what’s so bad about showing all of the neck and some shoulders, too, like in the old days?

~ Speaking of photos, I saw this the other day in my Facebook feed and I am still laughing!
So what’s been positive about your week?
I’d love to hear about it!
xo, Adrienne

1. October 4, 2013 / 11:08 am

I think your license photo is really very pretty. Wow! You are tall. I wish you could share a few inches with me. I love your blog because I love how many things you do with your family and, of course, your pictures are just awesome.

2. October 4, 2013 / 11:28 am

You live in such a lovely, fun place, Adrienne. Always enjoy the pictures you share. Have a wonderful weekend.

3. October 4, 2013 / 11:29 am

Happy Friday Adrienne! Thanks again for your kind comments on Stylemindchic girlfriend. I am definitely feeling better post surgery today. Your little picnic on the back of the truck looks like so much fun. I’m glad to see that you found some TF samples-that Jill-so thoughtful. I find I have to have my samples out where I can remember them. I stash mine in a rectangular “Maxim’s” chocolate tin from Paris. I see you have one on your dressing table too (we have so much in common-perfumes and chocolates!).
    Have a lovely fall weekend A!
    xx, Heather @ Stylemindchic

4. October 4, 2013 / 11:47 am

I love that facebook cat thing. So funny. Thanks for linking my post. I have not ventured any more scents yet. I use the Tom Ford a lot. You do look good in your photo, but it is close. Mine is not as close because you can see my coat and scarf. Happy weekend.

5. October 4, 2013 / 2:22 pm

Love the kitty meme! Awesome. Vineyard in the fall? Yes. Yes. Yes.

6. October 4, 2013 / 3:54 pm

You look amazing, all of the time Adrienne! Your friends vineyard makes me miss the years I lived in San Diego!

xoxo
    Karena
    Velvet Pumpkins Giveaway!

7. October 4, 2013 / 4:10 pm

LOL! at the cat pic : > You look every bit as gorgeous today as in “the old days”. And wow, I am breathless over those gorgeous vineyard pictures. Looks like a scene from an art movie! xo

8. October 4, 2013 / 6:57 pm

Terrific license photo. You look prettiest in your latest one. How does that happen pretty lady?

9. October 5, 2013 / 3:48 am

Beautiful photos, I love the vines are very beautiful plants. A great picnic and a license with a gorgeous photo.

10. October 5, 2013 / 3:59 am

Love the rainy day picnic, gorgeous girl! ☔️

11. October 5, 2013 / 5:29 am

Love the cat pictures! I also love that first picture of the vineyards, it’s so dramatic and wonderful. And the driver’s license picture came out great! I like how you are storing those perfume samples, what a good idea, my dresser is littered with different samples so I may try something similar. I was glad to send the samples to you. Let me know if you want some Cartier next! XO, Jill

12. October 5, 2013 / 7:42 am

Okay that last kitty photo totally cracked me up! LOL

I agree…driver’s license photos are far too close now, although you still managed to take a decent shot I think.

So lovely that you get to picnic in vineyards. Remember this…you are living the dream!

bisous
    Suzanne

13. October 5, 2013 / 4:25 pm

We’re having what I hope will be the last hot summer weekend in the LA area. Looking forward to real Fall weather and some rain too. Love Tom Ford’s perfume and my usual is the Neroli Portofino, but it is summery so will definitely try a few of the others for the winter (samples first of course) – love your way of displaying them as mine get lost and forgotten about once I stick them in a drawer. I agree about less close up on the driver’s license photos – mine’s OK, but a bit of a mug shot as well.

14. October 6, 2013 / 4:36 am

Oh gosh. I rarely accept perfume samples. There was a time I loved wearing a fragrance, but now it’s rare due to having developed what seems like an allergy to them, and my husband also. When I did get samples I would use the ones I liked and the others would be thrown out. I would simply re-cap the ones I liked and they would go into my make-up drawer. Love the idea of placing them in the wine glass. The kitty made me laugh. xox

15. October 6, 2013 / 10:35 pm

The colors in the first two photos are beyond beautiful! 🙂

16. October 7, 2013 / 8:07 pm

Adrienne, I’m on the couch here busting up about that cat photo! I love that you added it to your positive post! Lol.

Well, looks like a beautiful picnic even though it rained. I cannot believe the colors of the vines! Amazing.

I am also keeping my samples on my counter. We got some good ones didn’t we? That was so nice of Jill to send you Tom Ford! I am still figuring out the Neiman ones. I used a pretty glass that once held a candle for mine…I love the sherry glass idea though!

Have a good week Adrienne!

xKim