Scenes from San Francisco

Scenes from San Francisco
Thank you for the wonderful birthday wishes on my last post. You all are so kind!
My birthday was spectacular! I did everything on my list except shop for makeup, which frankly I can do any old day, right?
I have close to 1000 photos from our trip. It was too hard to narrow them down to just a handful so I decided I would only use my Instagram photos for this post.
We left for San Francisco the morning of my birthday and met a college friend of mine and her husband for lunch at Le Central. It’s a French bistro that has been around for many decades and is the favorite lunch spot of former mayor of San Francisco, Willie Brown. In fact, Willie was sitting at his favorite table near the window while we were there!
I had French Onion Soup, the best I have had outside of Paris, and a plate of chilled asparagus with hollandaise sauce. Le Central has both wonderful food and a wonderful atmosphere.

After we said our goodbyes to our friends we checked in to our hotel, The Fairmont located on Nob Hill.

When we opened the door to our room, I just about fell over. The views were incredible. With four large windows, we could see from the Bay Bridge to the Golden Gate and everything in between.

I captured this behemoth cruise ship heading out to sea while passing Alcatraz Island.

I had prearranged a tour of the hotel with the Public Relations manager a few days before our arrival. As soon as we dropped off our bags, we met her in the lobby for an hour-long walk about that included the 6000 square-foot Penthouse Suite. Here is the view from the suite’s patio. Breathtaking!

Toward the end of the tour, we passed by the hotel’s Epicurean Garden where they grow herbs and keep 100,000 bees in bee hives. The bees love to feast on the lavender, rosemary, basil and other herbs that the culinary staff uses to flavor meals served at The Fairmont.

After our tour, we returned to our luxurious and oh-so-fabulous room for a little birthday bubbly.

Bill couldn’t resist the views so he pulled up a chair and enjoyed his champagne in front of the bedroom window.

Many people don’t know this but The Fairmont San Francisco is pet friendly! We brought Daisy and Coco and later in the visit, our friends arrived with their Yorkie, Holly, on the right.

What’s a trip to San Francisco without shopping? We stayed about four blocks from Union Square where we passed the Goyard shop. I couldn’t resist photographing this tower of trunks. Can you imagine having this as your set of luggage?

What I loved about our time in the city is that we experienced all sorts of weather. It was verging on hot one day, then shivering cold the next. Fog always cools things down. We were mesmerized by the fingers of the white fluffy stuff creeping into the bay from beyond the Golden Gate Bridge.

As I mentioned in my last post, visiting the Top of the Mark to have a martini on my birthday was a top priority.

Not only was the martini wonderful but the views were, too!

Once night fell, we returned to our room to change for a late night dinner.  This is the view that greeted us upon our return.

Another thing you must do during a visit to San Francisco is eat sourdough bread.  I took this shot at The Franciscan at Fisherman’s Wharf.

First on my birthday list was to eat sourdough bread and clam chowder. I love it when you can order them as one. I like mine with a dash or two of Tabasco and freshly cracked pepper. How do you take yours?

Four days and five pounds later, we headed back home to the wine country. What an outstanding birthday! I saw lots of dear friends, ate wonderful food, had tons of laughs, stayed up really late and saw many, many beautiful things. I could not ask for a better way to celebrate turning a year older.

I will miss you, San Francisco! Thanks for being such a beautiful, interesting and delicious city.

xo, Adrienne

1. October 31, 2013 / 9:07 am

Thank you for linking up with me today. I loved your birthday on Instagram. I wish I had been there to celebrate with you.

2. October 31, 2013 / 10:01 am

What a wonderful virtual tour! We’ve been to SF several times and it’s one of our favorite places to visit. Happy belated birthday!

3. October 31, 2013 / 10:03 am

Happy, happy belated birthday!! This looks like an amazing time…thank you for sharing!

4. October 31, 2013 / 10:03 am

Your birthday festivities sound chock full of fun and how lovely that you could bring your dogs.
    SF is a very special city. Those views are stunning.
    Did you get that new perfume you were looking for?

5. October 31, 2013 / 10:18 am

Well, the Fairmont would have been my second guess where you were staying! (sorry I shouldn’t have asked you before as you probably didn’t want to disclose that info at the time) :/ I didn’t realize it was so close to Union Square and pet friendly too…how cool that you were able to tour the property. The views and rooftop garden are amazing! Next time we are in S.F. we will have to stay there for sure.

6. October 31, 2013 / 11:13 am

Loved following your instagram the views were maxing but my rave pic is the fog picture! It just grabs me. So glad you had a fun celebration and refreshing to see genuine joy at getting older than fearing it!

7. October 31, 2013 / 1:30 pm

These pics are gorgeous….looks like you had a fabulous celebration!

Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

8. October 31, 2013 / 1:38 pm

Ah, the views, the food, the suite! All so gorgeous, and I love it that the doggies are able to travel there with you. what a city!

9. October 31, 2013 / 6:38 pm

Your trip looks absolutely wonderful and I can’t get over the views from your suite – just gorgeous. Le Central was a place we stumbled upon on our last visit and was by far the best meal we had in the city. Sounds like you really had so much fun – and why does sourdough bread (my favorite) have to have so many calories???

10. October 31, 2013 / 7:01 pm

Heavenly!!!! Honestly, I can’t imagine a better birthday! Thanks for sharing the views, the food, and the dogs too!

11. November 1, 2013 / 6:58 am

Happy belated birthday! Thrilled you had a wonderful birthday, I love your photos – you really get a sense of the sights and sounds and the whole experience. I love those train trunks, I was tempted to buy a little train case in NYC and take it on the train….lol….but I had enough luggage already 🙂

12. November 1, 2013 / 11:04 am

Hello Adrienne! What a perfectly lovely birthday for you my friend. San Francisco is a wonderful spot for any type of celebration-especially a birthday filled with dining, exploring and shopping. The views from the Fairmont and Top of the Mark (a very special place for me) are truly spectacular and you captured them beautifully. I’m guessing you’ll be back in the city in 2 weeks or so ;).
    Can’t wait! Have a lovely weekend girlfriend!
    xx, Heather

13. November 1, 2013 / 11:32 am

I’m glad you two enjoyed yourselves in our fair city. Great photos!

14. November 3, 2013 / 5:13 am

You captured a great selection of impressions of a wonderful city, Adrienne! It is so nice to hear you had a fabulous time together.
    I have been to San Francisco many years ago and except the day after (far) too many Margaritas I only have the best memories 😉
    Hope I can go back one day!

Annette | Lady of Style

15. Lovely images. SF is one of my fav cities in the world. You are very lucky to love so close x

16. November 6, 2013 / 8:47 am

Yay, SF! I haven’t gotten to stay at the Fairmont, but I’ve had afternoon tea there and strolled around the gorgeous neighborhood.

If you love French onion soup, may I recommend Absinthe? I have not been to Le Central (I’ll have to give it a try!) but currently Absinthe’s is the paradigm of French onion soup in my mind.

17. November 7, 2013 / 9:47 pm

Adrienne, I’m just now getting to read this. Such pretty photos and looks like a gorgeous suite you had! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. The photo of you and the pups is darling.Love San Francisco!
    xx Kim