The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa Wedding Anniversary Getaway

The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa Wedding Anniversary Getaway
 After our fun Saturday spent in Napa Valley meeting up with Amy from Denim and Dots and doing a little hat shopping, we packed up a few things and checked in to nearby hotel to celebrate our 13th wedding anniversary.

The beautiful and luxurious Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa is located less than 15 minutes from our home. It’s famous for its natural hot springs, gorgeous, mature property and proximity to wineries, the town of Sonoma and Sonoma Valley.

Since we live in the area, our plan was to stay on the grounds for the duration of our stay and pretend that we were many, many miles from home.

Having recently undergone a remodel of their lobby, bar and well-known Michelin-rated restaurant, we knew we’d have lots to explore and experience.

We arrived in the early afternoon and were delighted when we heard our room was ready for us. The hotel gave us one of their Mission Suites complete with a huge spa tub, four-poster bed, and a separate seating area with a wood-burning fireplace.

This was our view right outside the French doors in our room. I love all the greenery and especially the climbing ivy that covers many of the walls around the property.

After we got settled in our gorgeous room, we headed to the main pool for some sun, swim and snacks.   We stayed for an hour or so and enjoyed the warm weather and a refreshing dip or two.

As soon as we returned from the pool, there was a knock at the door. This lovely gift arrived from room service, ordered especially for us by some friends of ours who knew we were celebrating our anniversary. Such a thoughtful gift and very much appreciated!

After relaxing in our room, we headed to the lobby area to take a better look around. It has changed so much since its remodel. There are far more places to sit and people-watch, enjoy a cheese platter and a glass of wine or read a magazine. The motif is modern and chic with lots of small details to take in. My favorite detail is the beamed ceiling.

We also wanted to check out the new bar. 38º North is their newly remodeled lounge. It was so swanky and cool, I felt like I was in a big city bar in San Francisco or New York.

The bar features a vast wine list and cocktail menu as well as numerous appetizers that are made in the  Santé kitchen.

We enjoyed each other’s company without a care in the world. It’s such a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere.

Later, we went back the room to dress up for dinner at Santé. It’s a dress-up sort of place so I wore the same outfit I wore to a recent wedding.

Dinner was outstanding. Fresh and flavorful ingredients expertly prepared and presented in an elegant and intimate environment was the ideal dining experience for our anniversary.

I ordered the butternut squash soup with marscarpone and loved it so much I ordered it the next night at 38º North.

The following morning, I had a massage appointment. I can’t recall the last time I had a massage but my guess is it was about 9 or 10 years ago. Way too long! It was heavenly. My masseuse was professional and friendly and the spa itself is gorgeous.

After my relaxing massage, I met up with Bill at the spa pool, a 90-degree saltwater pool with soothing underwater music playing.

We also spent some time at the larger and slightly cooler pool nearby.

What a wonderful and unforgettable two days we spent at The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn. We both agreed that it felt as though we were at a resort far, far from home. We returned home rested and rejuvenated.

Who knows, maybe we will make a getaway to The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn an annual wedding anniversary event. I sure hope so!

There were so many beautiful photo opportunities at The Fairmont. It was paradise for an Instagram-lover like me! My favorite Instagram shot is the one with the Peace rock. Every time I look at it, I feel just a little less stressed.

Have you ever stayed in a hotel close to home and pretended like you were far away?
xo, Adrienne

• October 17, 2013 / 9:08 am

It is! I hope we go back again next year. Would love to make it an every year sort of thing.

1. October 17, 2013 / 6:18 am

Good morning Adrienne! Congrats on your ‘lucky 13th’ anniversary! What a perfect getaway for you and Bill. You look so happy and relaxed. I haven’t been to the Fairmont Sonoma since the swanky redo and it looks gorgeous-inside and out. Loved seeing the pics and am already imagining a get away there. I always love a massage on vacation-it really helps to bump up the relaxation vibe.
    Cheers to you two and happy marriage!
    xx, Heather

• October 17, 2013 / 9:09 am

You and Scott would love it there now. It’s very swanky, especially the bar. Very “you”, Heather!
      We will have to go for a drink and some appetizers next time you’re here.
      xo, A

2. October 17, 2013 / 7:19 am

Adrienne, I so enjoyed following this memorable time of celebration on Instagram, and I must admit to being somewhat envious. What a wonderful opportunity to share this special time together in such a gorgeous environment. And to not have to travel very far either. Thanks for sharing this with us and I do hope it will become an annual event for you.

• October 17, 2013 / 9:11 am

It’s a place worthy of a little envy! I agree. It’s got everything one would want for a romantic getaway – great rooms, terrific food, fun lounge and a world class spa.
      We especially loved the less than 15 minute drive home…so easy!

3. October 17, 2013 / 7:21 am

The Inn looks gorgeous. I love the rooms, and I think I adore the peace shot, too. I also love butternut squash soup.

• October 17, 2013 / 9:12 am

I didn’t even notice the Peace rock until I saw the photo (always so observant, I am)
      The soup was the best butternut squash I have ever had. I could go for a big bowl right now. And some fried okra from NC State Fair, too 😉

4. October 17, 2013 / 7:33 am

Happy anniversary my friend! Looks like a fabulous week-end … I love Fairmont Hotels…. xo C. (HHL)

• October 17, 2013 / 9:14 am

Thank you, Celia! It was a wonderful getaway…much appreciated by us both. xo

5. October 17, 2013 / 7:34 am

It was a great idea to stay on the grounds since you live nearby. It’s the only way to make it special and feel like an escape. Your pictures are fabulous. I’m loving the peace rock shot too. Instagram is so addicting isn’t it? Fast, easy and doesn’t require much editorial. I’m hooked!! Happy Anniversary to you both.

• October 17, 2013 / 9:15 am

That’s what we were thinking, too. Why go out anywhere when we can do that anytime?
      Instagram is the best…my favorite social media platform and such a happy place for everyone. Not much editorial and filled with beauty!
      I’m hooked, too!

6. October 17, 2013 / 8:57 am

This looks like a gorgeous place to have a relaxing weekend! Big fan of climbing ivy – think me and the husband are going to have to to check this place out! Again Happy Anniversary!

• October 17, 2013 / 9:21 am

It is gorgeous. The climbing ivy is everywhere, giving it such charm.
      You and your husband should definitely check it out. The rates are great for mid-week packages right now if you can manage that. I know it’s hard if you work Monday through Friday. We did a Sunday/Monday and it was very reasonable.

7. October 17, 2013 / 9:08 am

Happy anniversary Adrienne – what a beautiful place to celebrate it. A lovely post!

8. October 17, 2013 / 9:22 am

Thank you, Reeta and thank you for stopping by today. It’s so fun to join in Instagram Thursday today!

9. October 17, 2013 / 4:18 pm

I’ve just found your blog Adrienne, and living well on a budget is a subject close to my heart. Coincidentally, I have a cookbook from the Sonoma resorts and regularly use it to recreate the Spa feel at home. We live in a sunny climate too, and are fortunate enough to have a comfortable home with a pool, so we often enjoy Spa Days or Spa Weekends at home. It’s a lot of fun and a frugal way to feel five star ;0)

10. October 17, 2013 / 9:25 pm

Looks like such a wonderful place! Love following you via Instagram and seeing all the wonderful pictures. Have a great weekend!

Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

11. October 18, 2013 / 12:05 am

Very pretty and looks like a great way to spend an anniversary! I am also of the belief that these sorts of things are best celebrated DOING something rather than BUYING something 🙂 And I love the idea of being a tourist in our own backyard. Fun!

12. October 18, 2013 / 5:40 am

Looks like a wonderful and relaxing getaway…Happy Anniversary Adrienne and Bill!

13. October 18, 2013 / 10:58 am

So good that you linked up this week Adrienne and happy anniversary!! I can’t believe you haven’t had a massage for such a long time, I can’t live without regular ones! 🙂

14. October 18, 2013 / 11:33 am

Thank you for the pictures.
    In the 1990’s I stayed here for three or four Septembers in a row for about a week.
    Somehow I was able to get a very good price. It was considered a very safe place to stay as well.
    One year my mother came with me and my Aunt met us there. (my mother is from the San Francisco area and has family members still in the area).
    I can not tell you how much I enjoyed staying there each year. It was my special treat to myself (as my birthday is in September–this year it was the big 50–but due to a health issue–DVT– I do not fly but I still travel–train, car, boat). It was before the work that I was in would get very very busy — holiday Christmas Season very big.
    I hope that you are able to go back and relax and enjoy the stay again.

15. October 19, 2013 / 6:18 am

Beautiful photos. I will have to take note for next time I visit my daughter. Have you ever done the Napa Wine Train? I got my son in law tickets for that last year. The salt water pool sounds amazing and butternut squash soup is my fave. Always looking for a new twist on it. Happy Anniversary.

16. October 19, 2013 / 1:21 pm

GORGEOUS getaway digs you stayed in! I’d stay there any day of the year. xox

17. October 20, 2013 / 9:01 pm

What a luxurious place to celebrate! You chose well. Happy anniversary to you and Bill and cheers to many, many more 🙂 x