A Not-So-Productive Weekend

A Not-So-Productive Weekend
We had wind storms here in Northern California late last week that were violent, lengthy and destructive. Downed trees and fences as well as power outages in the area were the results of the crazy weather. And since rain has sadly been so rare around here, it didn’t take much for wild land fires to ignite and spread.

My husband, who is in the fire service, was dispatched to a big fire here in Sonoma County on Friday.

My stepdaughter also left for the weekend to visit her sister. With the house to myself, I made some plans for the weekend. Some big plans. I thought staying busy would keep me from worrying about Bill so much.

I planned to thoroughly clean out my closet and drawers, work on my DIY brooch necklace, go to the market then cook a couple of meals for the week, pick out my outfit for Thanksgiving, finish some thank-you notes and get a head start on some future blog posts.

Ha!

Yes, well exactly none of that happened. With constant worry lingering on my mind, I was distracted and altogether unmotivated. All that I managed to accomplish this weekend was writing this blog post and buying potato salad to take to a Saturday afternoon neighborhood party. I couldn’t even muster up enough drive to make a homemade side dish. But at least I made it to the party, never one to miss one of those!

Aside from going to the party for a couple of hours, I lazed around in my lounge wear and watched movies. For the first time I saw Out of Africa and fell in love with it, especially the scene where Robert Redford washes Meryl Streep’s hair by the river. So sweet and romantic!

I also watched The English Patient for the first time. I have always avoided this movie because I had heard it was long and boring from someone. Then I realized it was Elaine who made me think it was dreadful. Remember how much she hated The English Patient?

Well, Elaine, we will have to agree to disagree because I love that movie. Every 162 minutes of it! It certainly doesn’t hurt that Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas are two incredibly attractive people.

Admittedly I feel a little guilty about not getting much done, but I did enjoy being alone and lazy and watching classic romances without interruption.

Hopefully, Bill will be home soon as the fire is close to containment with no one hurt and very little property damage.

What would you do with a free weekend alone?
Would you relax and watch movies?
Or would you use the time to check off all those to-dos on your list?
xo, Adrienne

1. November 24, 2013 / 3:55 pm

I would eat bologna sandwiches for every meal and watch, long, epic romantic movies like the ones you’ve mentioned. I’ve probably seen Out of Africa 40-50 times. I’m obsessed with that time period in Kenya, and we had a fantastic trip there where we saw Isak Dinesen’s home, and coffee factory and went on safari, where to my surprise, they served bologna sandwiches while on the plains of the Masai Mara.

• November 24, 2013 / 4:04 pm

I forgot to include that I ate bologna sandwiches for dinner! With American cheese. Childhood comfort food for sure.
      I spent at least two hours reading up on the life of Karen Blixen/Isak Dinenson and Denys Hatton. Such fascinating lives they led. How wonderful that you visited her plantation and went on safari. Did they really serve bologna sandwiches??

2. November 24, 2013 / 4:03 pm

I love lazy days, and I fill ’em with books, books & more books (and then movies)!

Best wishes for your husband’s safe return.

• November 24, 2013 / 4:18 pm

Drew, I actually have a book I have been wanting to read but even that required more concentration than I was wanting to give. I indulged in the laziest of lazy activities by just watching TV. And writing a blog post so a few brain cells got activated 😉
      Thank you…he hopes to be home by Tuesday. I bet he can’t wait to sleep in his own bed!

3. November 24, 2013 / 5:33 pm

Unexpected lazy weekends are the best weekends!

www.atgatsbys.blogspot.com

4. November 24, 2013 / 6:09 pm

Ah! we all deserve a lazy weekend every so often. I have a hard time being lazy though because I’m constantly thinking about something that needs to be done. :o) Happy Thanksgiving!

• November 25, 2013 / 10:48 pm

Me too. I always have a running list of those pesky to-dos. It’s never ending! Sometimes I just have to push them out of my mind and get lost in a movie.

5. November 24, 2013 / 6:18 pm

Hi A,

If I am in a situation where I am preoccupied or worried, I don’t get much done. It’s too hard to focus on anything. At least you got out of the house for awhile!

I remember when I saw The English Patient…it was Thanksgiving 1996, we had a Thanksgiving brunch w/ Tony’s family so with time to kill in the evening we decided to go see it. We sat through the credits at the end because I was crying too much and didn’t want to walk outside! (Tony cried too) Yes, Ralph Fiennes is not hard to look at…I had a bit of a crush on him back then. And I forgot about the clip from Seinfeld. Too funny.

Hope you have a better week and that Bill makes it home safe and sound!

• November 25, 2013 / 10:50 pm

That is exactly what happened to me. I just could not concentrate on anything. Not even a novel.
      I admit I shed more than a few tears…that scene in the plane at the end with Kristin Scott Thomas wrapped up in the parachute really sent me over the edge. Wow! What a movie.
      Bill will be home tomorrow. Yay! It’s been a long 5 days without him.

6. November 24, 2013 / 6:18 pm

Oh my. Two of my all time favourite movies ever. Out of Africa really is so majestic. And what about the fashion! LOVE. I’d say that was a pretty great weekend spent alone.

bisous
    Suzanne

• November 25, 2013 / 10:51 pm

Yes, the fashion! So Ralph Lauren looking…or rather Ralph Lauren is so Out of Africa. I have a feeling the movie inspired the trend.

7. November 24, 2013 / 6:51 pm

I’ve been preoccupied, too, but my distractions are trivial compared to yours. When I really, really can’t get it together enough to accomplish anything I give myself permission to daydream, watch silly (or sexy) things, and unplug until I can start fresh.

Alicia

• November 25, 2013 / 10:55 pm

Daydreaming is a good thing to do. That and movies and bologna sandwiches got me through the weekend. Husband home on Tuesday. I can hardly wait!

8. November 24, 2013 / 7:38 pm

Good for you Adrienne! Perfect weekend to watch these kind of flicks I adore Out of Africa. It was my favorite movie forever…Also love The English Patient! I forgot about Elaine! So funny when she worked for Mr Peterman…Everyone loved English Patient except for her! Lol. I hope Bill will be home safely soon…I don’t think I could have done anything productive either…Have you seen A Room With a View? It’s my other favorite when I have some time to spare. Take care. xxoo

• November 27, 2013 / 11:47 am

Bill is finally home – safe and sound if not a little tuckered out.
      I have not seen A Room with a View. I will have to watch that for sure. I remember hearing great things about it.

9. November 24, 2013 / 7:48 pm

Oh, those are two of my very favorite movies! Sometimes we just need some down time. Glad to hear that the fire is under control and hope Bill is home safe and sound very soon.

• November 27, 2013 / 11:48 am

Yes, that is true. Sometimes it’s necessary to take a break from everything and be lazy.
      Bill is home – so happy and relieved that that fire is out!

10. November 24, 2013 / 8:23 pm

Some days, we just need an unproductive weekend. I would watch girly movies all weekend if I had some downtime to myself. Hope your hubby will be home soon.

Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

• November 27, 2013 / 11:49 am

Thank you, Alice. He came home last night – tired and ready for some home cooked food and nice fluffy bed!

11. November 24, 2013 / 8:26 pm

I liked the movie version of ‘The English Patient’ and the book is strange and beautiful, a haunting read. Downtime is good. I usually end up napping if I get any downtime, which seems rare these days. I am glad Bill is coming back home soon and that things are okay! XO, Jill

• November 27, 2013 / 11:50 am

I bet you get very little downtown with two little ones. Naps are always nice, too, though I am a terrible napper – and all or nothing sort of person.

12. November 24, 2013 / 8:51 pm

Both movies that I love and another sappy one that tugs at my heart strings….The American President.
    I have not eaten bologna for years but I do love cheese!
    It is horrible to wait and worry. I can only imagine what mothers and wives did to occupy their time when men were off at war. I hope your husband is home safe and sound soon.

• November 27, 2013 / 11:52 am

Is The American President with Annette Benning? I can’t remember.
      I love, love bologna. I know it’s so awful for you but I can’t help being crazy about it – a childhood think, I guess!

13. November 25, 2013 / 3:12 am

I am completely jealous…I would love a weekend alone to watch movies!! Things around here are so busy and crazy with my family that I would love a little down time. But I love them and shouldn’t complain. Have a great week Adrienne…I hope hubby is safe at home now.

• November 27, 2013 / 11:54 am

Alone time is very valuable, isn’t it?
      This time usually gives us zero down time with the holidays upon us. I was lucky to get a few days to myself though I wish I hadn’t worried so much.
      I hope you have a lovely week with your family, Pam. Happy Thanksgiving!

14. November 25, 2013 / 3:27 am

So scary about the fire and to wait it out is tough…Hope the fires are out now?

Never saw those movies but plan to watch them over xmas hols. x

• November 27, 2013 / 11:53 am

Everything is out – no more fire. Bill is home and I could not be happier!
      Enjoy the movies. They are riveting. And so romantic!

15. Oooh! I would have a list of “a little of what I fancy”.Reading, napping, watching TV, everything enjoyable would be on it (and nothing technology related 😉
    Hope Bill got home safe x

• November 27, 2013 / 11:56 am

That is a lovely list, Vannessa! I especially like that last part about no technology…old school relaxation! Bill is home safe and sound. I am so happy!

16. November 25, 2013 / 10:18 am

Oh Adrienne, it must be so difficult when your husband is fighting fires like this. Thank God for men and women who do this though.

My weekend was just like this, movies (those are two of my favorites), reading napping, snacking.

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

• November 27, 2013 / 12:22 pm

It is terrible to worry. I wish I didn’t but I can’t help it. I know he loves fighting fires and he loves to help people so there is some consolation in that.
      Snacking! Another favorite pastime of mine 😉

17. November 25, 2013 / 10:44 am

I don’t think I could accomplish anything either if I was worried about my husband!! You did just the right thing. Took care of yourself. I love to have a weekend to myself, but frequently fill it with busy work rather than relaxing as you did. Hope Bill gets home soon. And BTW…there is nothing wrong with potato salad. Carbs can be very comforting :-)XoJennifer

• November 27, 2013 / 12:24 pm

I love potato salad. This salad was from our local market that makes excellent food. Just like homemade and certainly better than MY homemade.
      Hope the move is going smoothly now that the sale is over.

18. November 29, 2013 / 2:19 pm

Oh yes I am an absolute movie lover!! we have every movie channel on pay TV! I didn’t go much on the english patient, but an absolute yes to out of africa, I have always loved that movie.