Bloggers in the City: 27 Hours

Bloggers in the City: 27 Hours
I am still letting everything settle since my Bloggers in the City getaway with Heather of StyleMindChic and Kim of Northern California Style.

We did a lot in 27 hours besides shop. We also ate some wonderful food like this classic Neiman Marcus chicken salad…

and did some bonding over a bottle of Vueve Clicquot champagne…

in my chic and colorful room.

After spending a good two hours relaxing and getting more acquainted in our beautiful surroundings, we headed off to a late dinner at Farralon, a fantastic place to dine. The decor alone is worth a visit.

The jellyfish lights are stunning!

The service and the food are both incredible, too. It was a truly wonderful dining experience.

Our amuse-bouche…mushroom puree with truffles and crème fraîche.

Since we ate later in the evening, we didn’t get back to the hotel until close to 11:00. These days, that’s late for me.  We tried to go out for a nightcap, but the charming restaurant/bar next door had stopped serving for the evening. Probably a good thing!

We relaxed a little in the gorgeous and cozy lobby instead and took some photos.

Eventually, we each retired to our rooms for a restful and peaceful night’s sleep.

The next morning, we all woke up earlier than expected – excited, perhaps? I ordered a pot of coffee for my room and watched the dawn turn into daylight from my window.

The three of us met for breakfast at the Grand Cafe, adjacent to the hotel, later that morning where we were treated like royalty! The staff from the kitchen, including the head chef and sous chef, came out to say hello and introduce themselves to us, as did the managers of the hotel and the restaurant.

The food was magnificent as was the atmosphere!

After breakfast, we returned to Union Square for more shopping and, as I mentioned in my last post, to see all the action surrounding the Bat Kid event.

Another purchase I made, in addition to the floral and leather DKNYC top, is this Calvin Klein layered shell. It’s a versatile piece that will camouflage my midsection when I feel like I need it, like after day or two of champagne, bread baskets and popovers with strawberry butter.

I wore it Sunday out to lunch and to a winery with my husband. I have been looking for a simple top to go with this crepe wool Dior (yes, vintage DIOR!) cropped, double-breasted jacket that I bought at Goodwill for $3.99 and this is just what I was looking for.

I think this shell is going to solve a lot of wardrobe dilemmas for me. I bought it in black, too. Do you  wear silky shells?

We were finally all shopped out and decided to get some lunch near our hotel before sadly saying goodbye and heading our separate ways.

Although it seems like we talked a lot, there are still so many things I wanted to ask them and to discuss about blogging. We just didn’t get to everything.

Kim and Heather in the beautiful lobby at Hotel Monaco

I don’t know about you, but the majority of my non-blogging friends and family don’t want to listen to me blather on about analytics, ideas on making money blogging, which social media platforms are best to use, widgets, html codes and what other blogs are doing. And I don’t blame them!

So it’s fun and refreshing to be around friends who share an interest in blogging. No glazed over expressions on any of our faces when blogging subjects came up. I think we all learned a little something from each other about blogging and got a chance to speak freely without worrying about boring or annoying anyone.

We are hoping to get together again early next year for more blog discussions, shopping, imbibing, eating and laughs!

If you write a blog, do you avoid discussing it with your non-blogging friends and family?
Do you have someone you talk about blogging with?

Thanks for reading about our fun getaway!

A quick reminder that How I Wear My: Red is coming up in two weeks!
Please send your photos to howiwearmy@yahoo.com by the end of day on December 3rd to be featured.
xo, Adrienne

Disclosure: Kimpton sponsored our stay including our three individual rooms, breakfast and incidentals. All opinions of Kimpton’s Hotel Monaco and Grand Cafe are my own, as always.

1. November 20, 2013 / 6:08 am

Dude, that Dior was a major score! (I say Dude with affection of course, and with the utmost respect!). I don’t discuss bloggy issues with other people, nobody wants to talk about it. You are so lucky to have gotten together with Kim and Heather! XO, Jill

• November 20, 2013 / 3:32 pm

Dude!! Yes, that Dior was a major score. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I found it and thought for sure there was something seriously wrong with it. But no. It’s in perfect shape!
      I agree – no one who isn’t in the blog world wants to discuss blog issues. Thank goodness I have you, Kim, Heather and a few other people to talk with about them!
      xoxo, A

2. November 20, 2013 / 6:12 am

That CK shell is beautiful, and I love the Equipment Camo bomber jacket, such great colors. I don’t have a blog, am not very savvy about technical stuff, so I’d start snoozing.

• November 20, 2013 / 3:34 pm

That bomber is on sale right now…did you see that? I wear it a lot – more than I thought I would. I love that it’s gray and black instead of camo green.
      I am not very savvy about tech stuff either but unfortunately, I have to sometimes make myself at least try to figure things out! Usually turns out making me very frustrated and cranky!

3. November 20, 2013 / 6:16 am

Good morning Adrienne! This post is the perfect reminder of our getaway to San Francisco. I had the best time with you two and we were spoiled by the Hotel Monaco and Grand Cafe. This is the perfect location in San Francisco in my book. It was so good to talk about all things blogging, among other fun topics, and share our genuine interests. I loved that too. Like you I try to be careful to not bore my non- blogger friends and family with my pursuits. That CK blouse is gorgeous on you. I may have to hit Zappos to pick that one up. Chanel–for $3.99???? You are so good girl!! 😉
    xx, Heather

• November 20, 2013 / 3:36 pm

Hi Heather! I, too, had such a terrific time. Seems like it was weeks ago already, doesn’t it?
      Can you believe my jacket? It’s actually Dior, not Chanel (I hope to find some Chanel at Goodwill one of these days) and I really adore it.
      Hope to see you again soon!
      xoxo

4. November 20, 2013 / 6:18 am

Looks like a great get together!
    I love your Dior jacket! What a lucky find!

www.atgatsbys.blogspot.com

• November 20, 2013 / 3:43 pm

It was a very lucky find. Can’t believe someone would give it away to donation!

5. November 20, 2013 / 7:27 am

Great find on the jacket!

My husband’s eyes also often glaze over when I talk about blogging. I’m not as worried about improving my stats anymore. Now it’s more about the people and when I talk about them it becomes so much more interesting.

bisous
    Suzanne

• November 20, 2013 / 3:44 pm

Blogging is such a big part of my – and probably your – life that I want to talk about it. But I can see how dull a subject it can be if you’re not in this little world of ours.
      Now I keep my conversations about it to general stuff and only if people ask.

6. November 20, 2013 / 7:47 am

Looks like you had a wonderful weekend…I can understand the “talking shop” thing. I used to have the same issue with my husbands family. My husband, two of his sisters, his BIL and a family friend are all teachers. Whenever there was a family get together they couldn’t talk about anything but teaching, especially when it was new to them. I was always trying to change the subject! So I can imagine it’s nice to be around others that you can share your blogging interests with and feel like you are not boring anyone.

We came close to eating at Farallon when we were there in April, but opted for Millennium instead which did not disappoint. Sooooo good! Maybe next time we will give Farallon a try!

Love the jacket you found, a major score!

• November 20, 2013 / 3:46 pm

So you probably can understand how it is being in a firefighter family! It seems everyone is a firefighter but me. I mostly tune it out unless it’s something interesting.
      Farallon is wonderful. Such a beautiful place to eat and still going strong after nearly 20 years of being open.
      Is Millennium near the Castro? I will have to look that up.
      Hope you are well!
      xo, A

• November 21, 2013 / 7:32 am

Actually it looks like Millennium is only a block down from Hotel Monaco. It is strictly a vegan/vegetarian restaurant but with a gourmet twist. 🙂

• November 21, 2013 / 10:27 am

I saw that. I would love to check that out but it would take some prodding to get Bill to go with me. He’s a meat guy.
      Next time I go to the city with a friend, we will check it out. Sounds intriguing!

• November 22, 2013 / 9:12 am

Honestly, I didn’t know if Tony would go for it, but we had to eat at least one healthy meal on vacation…our first night there we ate at Keller’s Burger Bar!

7. November 20, 2013 / 8:41 am

The chicken salad looks so good…I would love someone around “my age” to talk shop with…I love meeting with the local mommy bloggers…but they could all me my own kids!! Opportunities like you received are so special!

• November 20, 2013 / 3:48 pm

The chicken salad was really tasty. I have to make some of that myself. It was very simple – reminded me of the 1970’s – something my mom would have made. Maybe we will do a Bloggers in Texas one of these days. Who knows? Stranger things have happened!

8. November 20, 2013 / 8:57 am

Seriously swooning over your Dior jacket!
    My family doesn’t even know I blog…my husband and a few close friends know but that us my secret hobby. I need some more blogging ideas in the technical area but do not know where to go for advice….if you find out perhaps you can give us a tutorial.
    Looks like a fun meet up.

• November 21, 2013 / 10:07 am

Isn’t the jacket fantastic! I can’t believe I found it at Goodwill. I just love that place.
      Your family doesn’t know you blog? Not even your mother? I didn’t know that. Sometimes I think it’s good to keep things like this a secret – but too late now! My cat is out of its bag 😉
      I am putting together a post about blog issues – not all of them technical, however. I leave that to the people who actually enjoy that sort of thing. Just a post about common “problems” for lack of a better word, that we bloggers come across. Hope to have it up in the next few days!

9. November 20, 2013 / 9:15 am

Terrific find on the DIOR!! I can’t talk to friends without them glazing over, as you say. My poor husband gets the brunt of my blathering and he just has no idea what I’m talking about or why I care 🙂 It would be fabulous to share and ask questions with like minded bloggers. I followed your adventures, with delight on IG! Love the Grand Cafe!! Have a great day!

• November 21, 2013 / 10:09 am

My husband gets the brunt of my blathering, too. But I do sit and try to be attentive when he talks about work. So we even each other out in the boring blathering department!
      Grand Cafe is lovely. Maybe we should meet there for lunch one day??

• November 21, 2013 / 2:12 pm

That sounds like a plan! Love to meet for lunch. I’ll be in touch after this move is over. xoJennifer

10. November 20, 2013 / 10:23 am

No one knows I blog either! My family is the same way with the shop-talk, some of them are nurses and/or health care professionals and when they shop-talk at every family function, the rest of us sit around with our eyes glazed over and they can’t understand why we’re not interested….hehehe Glad you three had a wonderful time and that Dior jacket is a FIND!

• November 21, 2013 / 10:12 am

Really? No one?
      Bill and his family talk a lot about the fire service when they get together. And it’s mostly about people I don’t know so a little dull for me.
      I can relate to your situation for sure!

11. November 20, 2013 / 11:05 am

I love the little layered shell, Adrienne, I have a few similar items in my wardrobe. It’s been 2 years and I still haven’t told anyone about my blog, apart from my Mr!

• November 21, 2013 / 10:13 am

Wow! So many bloggers are under wraps.
      The shell is great, mostly because of that layer. I think I will just wear shells the rest of the year until the holidays are over!

12. November 20, 2013 / 12:15 pm

Blogger meet-ups are fun! I’ve been enjoying your San Francisco posts — we’re headed up there for the weekend soon and I can’t wait to go window shopping. Sorry I missed your how I wear my jeans post — got busy with various projects. I’ll try to catch the Red one.

• November 21, 2013 / 10:15 am

How fun to head to SF to see the windows! Does Gump’s still do the pets in their shop windows? I used to love to see that.
      I hope you’ll join us for RED! It’s just in time for the holiday season.

13. November 20, 2013 / 1:51 pm

You found a DIOR in an op-shop*?! I couldn’t concentrate after that, too busy trying to lift my jaw. Lady, the op-shop gods were smiling on you. And rightly so, the Dior went to someone who would appreciate and love it.

I don’t blog but I sew, so getting together with like minded sewists and gabbing non-stop about fabrics/finishes/notions etc etc is bliss as it is all blah blah blah to my non-sewing other friends and family. And sewists understand perfectly when you fondle their clothing 😉

In Australia we call thrift/charity shops op-shops, abbreviated from opportunity shop.

• November 21, 2013 / 10:44 am

I know! Can you believe it?? I was shocked myself.
      It is bliss to be able to gab about our passions. I wish I could do it more!
      Op-shop is a nice term to use. I also like Friperie – the French word. Thrift is not so cute 😉

14. November 20, 2013 / 4:34 pm

Adrienne, Loved the Dior Jacket with the sheath. I can’t wait to wear mine also. Wish I had such a chic jacket and clutch! We had so much fun and I love your photos here. I only wish it was longer. Looking forward to the next get-together! Wish it would be at Hotel Monaco and I love that place!!
    xx

• November 21, 2013 / 10:37 am

I am so glad we found those sheaths. They are really going to get a workout with my jackets!
      We did have so much fun together. Can’t wait to see you again!

15. November 20, 2013 / 6:48 pm

I love the Grand Cafe – such a beautiful Old San Francisco style restaurant. Thank you for sharing your adventures. You look beautiful, as always:).

• November 21, 2013 / 10:36 am

It’s a lovely place. I enjoyed the decor and the very high ceilings. We couldn’t get over how friendly and attentive everyone was!

16. November 22, 2013 / 9:47 am

Just stopping back by to say I was a little sad that it was over too. Our little trip went so quickly but we did pack in so much. Here’s to next time girlfriend!
    Have a lovely, chilly weekend. Scott and I are bundling up and off to Healdsburg on Sunday.
    xx, Heather

17. November 22, 2013 / 1:38 pm

Adrienne, such a lovely recap of your amazing get together! Have you ever thought of turning this get away into a small blogging conference or blogging get away? I have been to the Altitude Design Summit in SLC … it’s a large conference by now … but the beginnings were a gathering of interested bloggers … who came willing to pay for the chance to get together and learn more about their blogging craft as well as make new friends and connections. With your successful blog and knowledge and connections in the city … I hope it is something you would consider! I’d be the first to sign up!

18. November 22, 2013 / 6:58 pm

I’ve been a fan of the Grand Cafe for 15 years and always take out of town guests there (and visit as often as I can). Love the ambiance and the menu; the staff have always been gracious to visitors.

19. November 24, 2013 / 12:03 pm

I thought I left a comment…

It took ages for me to tell my mates but they don’t get it at all…then they go just tell me. So I just treat it like my separate thing although a few acquaintances read my blog which is odd. But I still have a go at my husband if he tells people I blog. So now it isn’t mentioned!!