Crafty in the city at Brit + Co.

Crafty in the city at Brit + Co.
Kim of Northern California Style and I were invited to attend a party just for bloggers at Brit + Co. in San Francisco last week. We didn’t know much about it but it sounded intriguing and great excuse to see each other again.
It’s a long drive to the city from our homes and besides, it’s the holidays. We decided to stay overnight and make a trip out of it.
We both love the Kimpton Hotel group. This time, instead of staying at Hotel Monaco like we did last month, we chose The Sir Francis Drake in Union Square.

The hotel was decked out for the holidays. We loved this beautiful tree on the second level above the lobby.

The hotel was built in 1928 and has lots of old world charm and a coziness about it that is just perfect for the holidays.

Our room wasn’t ready yet so we stored our luggage and made our way to Le Central for lunch. It’s an old-school French bistro, a favorite of former mayor Willie Brown and many in San Francisco’s influential crowd.

The food is fantastic and so is the atmosphere. I can’t help but feel like I am in Paris when I’m there. I think Kim liked it, too.

After lunch and a little champagne, we were ready to explore Union Square. We ended up at the gigantic Grant Avenue Banana Republic store.

We took a look at the L’Wren Scott line and I tried on loads of clothes but nothing looked that great on me. But this little number, an Evan satchel, caught my eye. I happened to have a 40% off coupon and decided to go for it.

I am so glad I did! It’s just what I wanted. A roomy bag that is low profile and seems like good quality – time will tell.

I also purchased this gold ring and Kim and I both bought matching black bow bracelets with gold studs. Every time I wear mine, which is often, I think of Kim and our fun time together.

Once we finished shopping, we went back to our room to change for the Brit + Co. event. We heard a rumor that our hotel had a complimentary wine reception.

Free wine?? Sign us up!

We enjoyed a glass, then made our way up the street to Brit + Co. headquarters.

We arrived early and found seats. We knew right away what we’d be doing in Brit + Co.’s new kitchen: we were going to decorate cookies!

First we offered snacks and drinks. Kim and I had a small taste of Brit + Co.’s homemade egg nog (very tasty) and admired the adorable gingerbread cake houses.

Once the room filled up and the seats were taken, things got underway. Brit herself was there and she spoke to us about what we’d be doing that evening.

She is a lovely young woman; dynamic with a very bright future ahead of her. Read Kim’s blog post for more about Brit and her background.

My prediction is that Brit Morin will be name you’ll be hearing a lot of. Just take a look at this article from The New York Times that came out the day we met her.

I must admit, the idea of trying to make my bare cookies look like these spirals was daunting. Then Brit herself sat right next to me which made me even more panicked. You must understand, I really am so terrible at anything crafty, artistic, or DIY.

But with the help of the cookie decorating expert from Wilton, my final three cookies ended up being pretty cute. Not bad, I would say, for such an un-crafty gal. Maybe I am not as terrible of a DIYer as I think I am!

After our fun cookie adventure, we returned to our room to drop off our cookies and our cookie swag gift filled with Wilton decorating toys.

We were ravenous and decided to go to the hotel’s restaurant, Scala Bistro, for a late night meal.

Back in our room after a long day of fun, we finally went to sleep a little before midnight. We woke up early the next morning, just in time to see the beautiful sunrise while we drank our coffee.

Before we left to go home, we enjoyed a light breakfast in Union Square then got in a couple of hours of shopping in at Macy’s before heading home. I already miss Kim and am looking forward to seeing her again.

I took this photo of the Union Square park on the way to breakfast around 8:00 a.m.
Aren’t they a cute couple? I love that she is wearing a Santa hat.
Are you crafty?
Do you enjoy DIY projects?
Have you heard of Brit Morin, this Millennial mover and shaker?
xo, Adrienne
P.S. I am thrilled to be mentioned among some of my favorite bloggers in this post on Babble.com Tuesday. Stop by to see who else you know on the list. I bet you’ll see a few favorites!

1. December 11, 2013 / 5:50 am

Looks like so much fun! I haven’t been to SF in *ages* maybe next year around my birthday… 😉 I’m a total klutz at cookie decorating too.

• December 11, 2013 / 9:23 am

I would love to see you when you come. We could do a bit of shopping…and maybe have lunch at Le Central. I know you would love it!

2. December 11, 2013 / 7:10 am

Cute cookies I think you have more talent than you think!
    We dined at Scala when we were in SF it was a huge place and considering how full it was the kitchen did an amazing job with the food and the wait staff were so attentive.
    Would have been a fun trip.

• December 11, 2013 / 9:25 am

You know the Wilton Cakes products really do help. The way they are packaged makes the icings easy to spread.
      Isn’t Scala great? It was SO busy there that night and it wasn’t even a weekend! We ate at 9:00 and when we left the place was still packed.

3. December 11, 2013 / 7:17 am

Love this post! You did a wonderful job with the pictures and all. You are always so much more concise than me! I am loving my bracelet too and the bag was such a beautiful investment. I think you’ll use it a long time. It’s classic and such nice quality..Kind of wish I got one too.

I didn’t know you took a photo of me at Brit. That was fun!

Miss you too! Looking forward to out next visit! xo Kim

p.s. Congrats on bring mentioned in that blog! Wonderful!

• December 11, 2013 / 9:31 am

I am so glad we went to the Brit + Co. event and even more glad that we stayed the night. I had so much fun!
      Hope you win that Landmark stay so you and your husband can come up to our neck of the woods and do some wine tasting soon. I’d love to show you around. xoxo

4. December 11, 2013 / 7:48 am

Love the post A! You and Kim look lovely and may I just say as a proud consumer of those beautiful cookies that they were delicious!!!!
    xoxo,
    -T

• December 11, 2013 / 9:33 am

I am glad someone enjoyed them! Sugar cookies aren’t really my thing. I love to look at them, but prefer something with a little more oomph. Let’s make cookies this weekend (if we can find the time). We MUST make candy cane cookies for sure. And maybe use those gingerbread melts Wilton gave me. I hear they are yummy with pretzels!
      xoxo

5. December 11, 2013 / 9:49 am

The whole time looks like so much fun! I loved the sunrise photo….and the fact you get to do this so often. Enjoy each moment!

• December 11, 2013 / 9:52 am

It’s been a whirlwind the last couple of months, that is for sure! I am developing an attitude of “just do it” when it comes to these things. If I hesitate, it won’t happen. I want to start living life as fully as possible!

6. December 11, 2013 / 11:08 am

Great pictures and event. Thanks for sharing these pictures.

Love,
    Sofia

stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

7. December 11, 2013 / 3:19 pm

I am so not crafty. You did a great job. Love the hotel, of course. Jealous of not being with you two, but I’m thousands of miles away.

8. December 11, 2013 / 6:57 pm

Oh, looks like such fun. I have never heard of Brit but am about to go check out her site. Thanks for sharing your fun with us.

9. December 11, 2013 / 9:56 pm

Looks like a fun time…Brit sounds like a very ambitious young lady! Your cookies came out great, I usually make decorated sugar cookies every year, Tony loves those things.

Haven’t stayed at the Sir Francis Drake since we took Amanda to S.F. for her birthday in 96′. I remember it being a nice hotel.

We did visit the Banana Republic store when we were there in April. I bought the same purse, only in orange leather! I get a lot of compliments on it.

I finally made three wrap bracelets, two for me and one for Amanda. They are pretty easy, once you get started. I plan on making more, just no time right now!

10. December 12, 2013 / 5:53 am

Sounds like you had a great time in the big city! I love the bag you got at BR….I am trying to forget that I saw it in cognac. xo H

11. December 12, 2013 / 6:05 am

First, congratulations on the babble mention … well deserved to be sure!

Now my dear, of course you are very talented in artistic and creative endeavors … that is after all, what it takes to do a stylish wardrobe. The DIY and craft part are only steps in various processes.

12. December 12, 2013 / 6:27 am

Great post, I love the picture of you and Kim. Looks like you two had a fun time and I think the cookies you made look beautiful! XO, Jill

13. December 12, 2013 / 11:36 am

That all sounds fabulous, Adrienne! I wish we had more blogger events over here in Germany.
    I am not skilled and patient enough for DIY and baking projects but rely on my mum 😉

Thank you again for pointing out the babble.com post to me! I am truly honoured to be included in the feature.

Annette | Lady of Style

14. December 17, 2013 / 2:39 pm

It looks like you had a great girly time and your cookies look brill. I’m not sure mine would have turned out as well as yours! Congrats on the mention in the Babble post, you deserve it 🙂 xx