Guy de Jean Umbrella

Guy de Jean Umbrella

Ever since visiting a Paris umbrella shop filled with hundreds of gorgeous, stylish and whimsical “parapluies” back in 2010, I have refused to carry a junky or a boring umbrella.

During our trip to Paris that year, it rained frequently. When rain drops started falling, the chic umbrellas popped up, carried by women and men alike. I was so embarrassed by my flimsy, cheap and very unstylish umbrella. I wanted to be chic in the rain like the Parisians!

Once I finally found an umbrella shop, I tried dozens of umbrellas out, finally deciding upon a beautiful black and ivory Guy de Jean called Etoile.

Years later, I still use my Guy de Jean every time it rains. In fact, I look forward to and wish for rain just so I can carry it. Over the years I have included it in quite a few of my outfit posts.

Recently, the Guy de Jean company in Paris came across one of my umbrella posts and contacted me. They offered to send me another Guy de Jean umbrella to which I clapped my hands and squealed from behind my laptop, then responded with an “Of course! Merci beaucoup!”

I was invited to choose from several gorgeous styles. Since I have never seen a Guy de Jean umbrella that I wouldn’t want to own, the decision was not easy. I decided to go for something completely different from my classic and sophisticated black and ivory umbrella and chose “Lovers”.

Romantic and playful, “Lovers” has a pale pink background that reminds me of the color of pink peonies.

Carrying a colorful and fun umbrella is an easy way to make your otherwise dull outfit much more intriguing.

I adore the tall spire on top of many Guy de Jean umbrellas and the way they open is pretty special, too. You simply press the button, and up it pops.

The floral details on Lovers are artistic and feminine.

And the Victorian touches add to the romance and whimsy.

One of my favorite features of both of my Guy de Jean umbrellas is the lucite “J” shaped handle with the logo etched on a metal band around the base.

It rained yesterday here in Northern California, which for us right now is momentous. I could hardly wait to pull on my rain boots and take my Etoile out for a spin in Sonoma.

Too bad the rain didn’t last long and now we are at the beginning of yet another long dry spell. Maybe next month it will rain again, I hope.

Guy de Jean umbrellas are worth every centime, in my opinion. They are made in France to withstand lots and lots of rain. And they aren’t just pretty and chic, they are sturdy and durable, too!

You can find Guy de Jean umbrellas at Rain or Shine in New York City, Parapluies Simon in Paris, Brollies Galore in the U.K., or by requesting a catalogue from the Guy de Jean website.

And be sure to connect with Guy de Jean’s Facebook page to stay up to date with their current styles, news and see lots of chic parapluies!

What’s your favorite rainy day item to wear when you want to look chic on a rainy day?

Rainboots? Waterproof hat? Raincoat?

Or are you an umbrella lover like me?

***All photos of the “Lovers” umbrella were taken by Sylvia Steininger. All other photographs were taken by my patient husband. A special thank you to my friends for letting me use their gorgeous home and picturesque property to take photos.

Disclosure: I was given a complimentary Guy de Jean umbrella to review and keep in exchange for this post. All opinions expressed here are my own.

1. January 12, 2014 / 4:03 pm

Love the umbrellas, Adrienne! They are gorgeous and so much fun! Now all I need to go with them would be rain!! Have a wonderful week…you look beautiful as always!

• January 12, 2014 / 9:28 pm

Aren’t they beautiful? I love them so much. They make such a sophisticated statement. I wish we would get more rain so I could carry them more often!

2. January 12, 2014 / 4:09 pm

Wow, ‘Lovers” is lover-ly and really makes me want to walk in the rain. You look gorgeous, and thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

• January 12, 2014 / 9:29 pm

It is loverly, isn’t it? I thought it was so charming and girlie, too!

• January 12, 2014 / 9:29 pm

Love those wellies! Not sure what I did about wet weather before I bought mine.

3. January 12, 2014 / 4:27 pm

I think if I owned one of those I would want to to rain every day. Great choice on the pink, I would seriously be singing and dancing in the streets with that one.

• January 12, 2014 / 9:30 pm

Isn’t it the cutest? I can’t wait to use it more in the coming months (fingers crossed).

4. January 12, 2014 / 6:48 pm

What beautiful umbrellas! I generally wear a canvas hat when it rains.

• January 12, 2014 / 9:31 pm

I have a couple of hats that are water resistant and that is fine for light rains but the real stuff requires an umbrella and boots. I bet your canvas hat is pretty durable though. My guess is you get a lot more rain than we do!

5. January 12, 2014 / 7:07 pm

What fabulous umbrellas! I’m going to have to look for one of these when we visit Paris again.

• January 12, 2014 / 9:33 pm

You must visit Simon next time you’re in Paris. It’s by Jardin du Luxembourg and it’s just adorable! The owners are so helpful. It really is a kick to shop for umbrellas. And they open them right in the store. No umbrella superstitions there!

6. January 12, 2014 / 8:17 pm

Adrienne, we are peas in a pod today. I just posted photos of my favourite umbrella too! Of course, now you have me a little gaga over your French umbrellas. So very chic! I love them both! We are experiencing a lot of rain right now…I can try and send it down south your way, but it probably won’t happen.

• January 12, 2014 / 9:34 pm

Oh my gosh…we are on the same page today, aren’t we?
      I just love umbrellas. They can be so fun. I wish I hadn’t wasted all those years carrying ugly brollies around.
      Please do try to send some rain our way…there are rumors of a drought! 🙁

7. January 13, 2014 / 2:06 am

This black & white umbrella is so classic and chic that it makes me wanna buy my own! I will get it in the future for sure! As for now, I am trotting down rainy London streets with Fulton umbrella in my hand. I’m not the only one – The Queen’s Fulton umbrellas are dyed to match her outfit exactly. 🙂

Mademoiselle-Lala.com

• January 13, 2014 / 7:02 am

Hi Mademoiselle Lala! Nice to hear from you here…so used to seeing your fun photos on Instagram.
      I have heard of Fulton umbrellas but have never seen one in person. I bet they are lovely, too.
      Love that The Queen has hers died to match her outfit! She must have loads of them in a rainbow of colors!

• January 13, 2014 / 8:03 am

Thanks Adrienne! I often read your posts, sorry for lack of comments – there’s no time for everything 🙁 X

• January 13, 2014 / 8:05 am

Please don’t be sorry. I am thrilled to get any comments at all and am just so happy to hear from you!

8. January 13, 2014 / 4:08 am

Thank you Adrienne. A new umbrella is on my list when I go to Paris in 2015.
    Please tell me what brand your khaki trench is, and if it is a trench color or camel?
    Thank you for such an informative and grounded blog. Practical advice and stylish always.
    Joanne

• January 13, 2014 / 7:06 am

Hi Joanne –

My trench is from Banana Republic. It’s about four years old and I really like it. It’s no Burberry but it’s also not a fortune – I think I paid about $200 for it, then another $40 or so to have it altered to fit me just right. It’s a traditional trench color – khaki. And it goes with everything! It was one of my smarter purchases and I think I will have it forever.
      Thank you for the lovely words….I particularly like the “informative and grounded” adjectives!
      A

9. January 13, 2014 / 6:22 am

Gorgeous umbrellas. And I love your new BR bag as well. Now we just need some rain! Umbrellas and rain are so romantic…..

• January 13, 2014 / 7:09 am

We do need some rain! Desperately. It’s supposed to be dry and in the mid 70s this week, and in the 80s where you live. Crazy! Not a fan…so worried about a drought here in California, especially for the grape growers around here.

10. January 13, 2014 / 7:13 am

Wow, beautiful umbrellas. Something I never really thought about. Thanks for sharing with us!

• January 13, 2014 / 7:36 am

I had never given them much thought until I saw such chic and stylish umbrellas in Europe. Then I had to have one. No more boring black and cheap umbrellas for me!

11. January 13, 2014 / 8:38 am

Your brolly is gorgeous. We get buckets of rain and I have several to choose from depending on my mood and all are colourful. I’m off to check out their website.
    You look lovely walking in your friends garden! I’d love to see more of it.

• January 13, 2014 / 8:41 am

I bet you do….am a bit envious of your wet weather this winter. We are incredibly dry right now.
      My friends have a lovely home on a gorgeous piece of property. When things get greener around here, maybe she’ll let me take more photos of it. Springtime would be ideal!

12. January 13, 2014 / 10:52 am

What a dreamy umbrella. Love it. I just went to the Facebook page, and I love the black and white one with Cats. I’m still an old cat lady. 🙂 Great photos.

• January 13, 2014 / 12:56 pm

Isn’t it darling, Leigh? I love the cat one, too. It’s adorable!

13. January 13, 2014 / 11:31 am

Great umbrella and fun photos, Adrienne. That umbrella is a work of art, in and of itself. wow.

• January 13, 2014 / 12:57 pm

I agree – a work of art. I would love to have a silk scarf made out of the same pattern. It’s so romantic!

14. January 13, 2014 / 11:57 am

Love the umbrellas:)Adrienne ! You look absolutely beautiful:))))
    Have a lovely week. Kisses Beata

• January 13, 2014 / 12:57 pm

Hi Beata! Lovely to hear from you.
      Have a wonderful week!

15. January 13, 2014 / 5:28 pm

Adrienne dear-I love this post! Somehow the gorgeous umbrellas with such a chic french vibe, and you in your fun rain gear just makes me happy. Lucky you for being offered a free one. That is so fun and I love your choice-so romantic. We need the rain! We had 5 drops and then it stopped here. Ready for a rain dance??
    xx, Heather

16. January 13, 2014 / 11:48 pm

Two lovely outfits. I love the coat, and look with jacket seems very elegant and beautiful.

17. January 14, 2014 / 6:25 am

Great post. I could use one of Guy’s umbrellas right now, it’s raining here today. Thank God it’s rain and not snow. You look wonderful in these photos. XO, Jill

18. January 14, 2014 / 9:05 am

Lovely lovely umbrellas. Too bad it’s been so dry this year. I haven’t worn my Hunters even once. I hope that changes. I’d love to have a nice umbrella one day. At the rate we use them, they could last forever!
    I love your black handbag! You look darling in the photos.
    xx Kim

19. January 14, 2014 / 9:35 am

When I lived in Seattle, I didn’t use an umbrella because umbrellas are sort of for tourists (and because you would have to use it constantly and just get sick of the thing). Since moving to dry Austin, Texas, rain is a joy for me instead of a perpetual burden, and I really like to get into a rainy day. I need one of these umbrellas to increase the chic factor. I usually wear a trench, jeans or black leggings, a fun scarf, and my black Cole Haan boots. I’ll be investing in a pair of Le Chameau boots (France’s version of Hunter wells) this year, and vive la pluie!

20. January 14, 2014 / 1:31 pm

That black and white number is astonishing. So beautiful, and can’t imagine the luxury of such a great quality brolly! I loose too many, even my cheap ones.
    Raincoats and a ton of hairspray for me! Hope you get the rain you need there. I loved the rain when I was in Seattle, and am happy to see it here for pasture.

21. January 14, 2014 / 1:52 pm

I too am completely taken in by the black and white brolly (as they say over here). Will a Guy de Jean withstand the Scottish gales and driving precipitation? I am planning on finding out! Thanks for this!

22. January 14, 2014 / 2:06 pm

Oh it finally felt like winter this last Saturday! Love the black & white umbrella super cute… I think everyone is hoping for rain these days… but even more so now that you’ve got super cute rain gear!
    Hope
    hchdesigns.blogspot.com

23. January 16, 2014 / 8:53 pm

These are gorgeous umbrellas! I’d love to splash around in the rain with either one of them.