Sneaker Chic

If you’ve been perusing the style boards on Pinterest or paging through your favorite fashion magazines lately, you’ve probably noticed the trend in sneakers. Running shoes, track shoes, gym shoes, sneakers…whatever you like to call them, they aren’t just for running anymore. Now they can be a stylish and hip part of your look!

I wasn’t sure I could pull off the sneaker trend – what I like to call “Sneaker Chic” –  without looking like a guy, a tourist or a commuter. But I gave it a go anyway since I was in the market for some new running shoes. Besides, I am always looking for ways to be stylish and comfortable at the same time.

There are loads of cool and colorful sneakers to choose from these days. New Balance, Nike, Adidas, Puma and many other athletic shoe names have all taken advantage of the trend by offering a wide range of colors and styles.

I chose these Nikes in a dark gray color with a neon orange swoosh and laces. I wasn’t going to be shy when trying out Sneaker Chic!

Dark gray is such an easy color to work with. It pairs well with everything. Here, I wore them with a gray slouchy tee by Everlane, a $6.00 thrifted Pendleton navy blazer, Gap skinny jeans and a blue lizard print clutch from Banana Republic.

I made sure to add a few small feminine touches, something I think is essential to pulling off a Sneaker Chic look, especially at my age. I wore my hair soft and wavy, cuffed my jeans, and added some gold-toned jewelry.

But I still wanted a sporty look so I kept the girly stuff to a minimum and left my Fitbit on, and wore Ray-Ban aviators.

If running sneakers aren’t your thing, you may like a lower profile sneaker. I find they are easier to style and just as comfortable and chic. I love these classic Superga sneakers I bought a couple of years ago.

I wore them with distressed boyfriend jeans and white oxford, both by Gap, and a khaki trench from Banana Republic (similar).  I carried a Sylvia Steininger tote – the Vienna style – which added color and interest to my look.

Photo and tote bag by Sylvia Steininger

So simple, comfortable and unfussy. I could wear this outfit everyday!

Photo by Steinbauer Photography

On colder California days when it manages to get below 60, I wear my sneakers with a heavier weight camel coat and Old Navy cable knit sweater.

Photo by Sylvia Steininger

A bad hair day is an easy fix with a simple baseball cap and just adds to the sporty vibe.

Photo by Sylvia Steininger

A few ideas for achieving your ideal Sneaker Chic look:

~ Buy a sneaker in a versatile color. I prefer dark grey but black and navy are great, too. I avoid white because it draws too much attention to my feet.

~ A mostly neutral sneaker is going to be your best bet but it’s fun to choose one with colorful details. A neon swoosh or vibrant stripes can really up the style factor.

~ Wear classics with your sneakers. Blazers, solid neutrals, jeans, timeless sweaters, trenches and wool coats all work well with sneakers. A classic moto jacket would be great, too.

~ Add a small touch of femininity to your Sneaker Chic look. Feminine hair, classic handbag, a couple of chunky bracelets or red lipstick all help soften the Sneaker Chic look without being too contradictory.

~ Don’t be afraid to try dresses and skirts with your sneakers. I have seen it done but I haven’t tried it yet myself. It’s on my list though!

~ This might just be me, but I think the Sneaker Chic look is best without socks.

~ Can’t bear not wearing a heel? Try a wedge sneaker like this Dunk Sky Hi wedge from Nike.

~ Enhance your Sneaker Chic look with sporty accessories like a baseball hat, chunky watch, fitness tracker or unisex sunglasses such as aviators or wayfarers.
Have you tried the Sneaker Chic trend?

Stylish, modern, easy to put together and so very comfortable….why not give it a go?

1. January 20, 2014 / 7:03 pm

Hey, I just added some purple Air Maxes to my blue camo ones, and am thinking about which low rises to get:). You look great. And I agree, they are best with no socks and a cuffed jean – if long walk comfort isn’t needed.

• January 21, 2014 / 2:04 pm

Yes, if you’re walking a long distance, definitely wear socks. I learned that the hard way in my Supergas. They gave me terrible blisters one day!
      Purple would be a great color, too. And surprisingly versatile!

2. January 20, 2014 / 7:03 pm

Cute look. I have not tried this trend. I usually only wear sneaks when going to the gym, but this trend is so cute on you it makes me want to try it.

• January 21, 2014 / 2:04 pm

I hope you do try it! Report back if you do…would love to hear your thoughts.

3. January 20, 2014 / 7:43 pm

Great article! Thank you for such a detailed and thoughtful overview, as well as including the link – I would definitely try the Nike wedges you’ve mentioned. Something comfortable yet stylish and a bit edgy for everyday! It might be just what I need. 🙂 Cheers, Natalia

• January 21, 2014 / 2:16 pm

I have been looking around for a pair of wedges that aren’t too high. Like a 2 inch wedge. But most are about 3″. I think they are so cute with the right outfit. And I agree – a bit edgy, which I love!

4. January 20, 2014 / 8:43 pm

Super cute! Wish I were a bit taller and I might give it a try, too. Also, love the Pendleton blazer – is it made in USA? I just scored one over the holidays, too, pricier at $15 but still a deal. : )

• January 21, 2014 / 2:17 pm

I don’t know – I assume it is made in the USA. I will have to check the label. I had been on the hunt for years for a navy blazer and finally found one for just $6.00! I would say $15 is a pretty good deal, too!

5. January 20, 2014 / 8:44 pm

You look so cute, Adrienne! Can’t wait to try these looks when the weather warms up here in St Louis.

• January 21, 2014 / 2:21 pm

Thanks, Tracy! This is definitely a cool to warm weather look. Sneakers in snow and ice does not sound fun!

6. January 20, 2014 / 11:52 pm

Love love love these looks. I haven’t been tempted so far but think you have just persuaded me! x

• January 21, 2014 / 2:28 pm

Thank you! Give it a try – you won’t be sorry….it’s such a comfortable way to dress.

7. January 21, 2014 / 12:48 am

Hi there! What an inspiring and stylish post and you show how sneakers should be worn, loving all your looks here and I’ll definitely be trying these styles out for sure! xx

• January 21, 2014 / 2:31 pm

Thank you, Sharon. I hope you give these looks a try. They are the way to go for comfort and style!

8. January 21, 2014 / 2:53 am

I am not a sneaker girl at all but your post convinced me to give it a try! Fabulous looks and photos, Adrienne. Casual yet classy, that’s the secret 🙂

Annette | Lady of Style

• January 21, 2014 / 2:53 pm

I think you would look so great in one of these looks. Do you see the sneaker trend in Germany a lot?

9. January 21, 2014 / 4:44 am

I’ve been toying with this idea for awhile and appreciate the post! I think I’ll give it a go, especially with foot surgery in my future, my kitten heels will gather dust for a bit. This was perfect timing for me Adrienne and cheered me up about my footwear considerably!

• January 21, 2014 / 2:33 pm

Yes, good idea with your upcoming foot surgery looming. I am sure you will have doctor’s orders for no heels whatsoever!
      I hope all goes well with the procedure!

10. January 21, 2014 / 6:07 am

Great post, I love my sneakers for running around doing mom-chores. I wear either cream-colored Skechers or gray and purple Asics. You look like a NYC media mogul (not kidding) in the all-blue photo. XO, Jill

• January 21, 2014 / 2:37 pm

I had a pair of Skechers for years…loved them. They were the slip-on kind that used to be so big a few years ago.
      I wish I were that NYC media mogul! xo

11. January 21, 2014 / 6:15 am

One of your best looks and posts ever. And I agree about no socks. Love the all blue photo with the tote by Sylvia – fantastic.

• January 21, 2014 / 2:38 pm

Thank you, Kathy.
      No socks but if I am going to be walking a lot I do wear them with my Supergas – just a low profile running sock. Isn’t Sylvia’s tote great with that outfit? I love that style, too. Has some great colors in it like gray and olive along with the soft blues.

12. January 21, 2014 / 6:24 am

Chic sneaks – and you look so gorgeous and natural in these outfits. I only wear sneakers for workouts, but you are inspiring me. xo

• January 21, 2014 / 2:39 pm

I hope you give Sneaker Chic a try, Patti. I think it would look great on you!

13. January 21, 2014 / 8:10 am

I only wear sneakers when I run or workout.

I think these all work well on you because you are tall and have great long legs.

They are comfortable though so I might need to reconsider. You look very chic.

bisous
    Suzanne

• January 21, 2014 / 2:41 pm

I can see these looks on someone smaller than I. Especially the blazer look because it’s not too overpowering – the trench look, too, would likely suit a more petite woman. I would love it if you gave it a try. In my head, I can totally picture you in boyfriend jeans and a sneakers with a cool hat and great bag.

14. January 21, 2014 / 8:12 am

Beautiful photos of you!! hmm . . . not sure I could pull this off. I love my heels. But you definitely have me thinking . . .

• January 21, 2014 / 2:42 pm

Maybe try the wedge sneakers instead? They are 3 to 4″ high and would give you the height you’re looking for but are still really sporty and I imagine, quite comfortable.

15. January 21, 2014 / 8:17 am

For sneaker chic no socks works but for the 10k treks I need to wear socks!
    You are looking so fabulous these days! Your photographer is capturing you at your loveliest.

• January 21, 2014 / 2:48 pm

Yes, socks for sure when doing lots of walking. So proud of you for your dedication to exercise and health!
      I have the best photographers…worked with two of them for two of the outfits. It was so fun! I felt like a celebrity 😉

• Kim
        March 28, 2016 / 2:32 am

Hi Adrienne, I like the way how you style your sneakers and outfits.
        I definitely agree with you to wear sneakers sockless since they are stylish and more chic.

Do you have other posts where you paired your sneakers with other outfits.

Thanks
        Kim

16. January 21, 2014 / 8:21 am

I’m with Patti–but I do have a pair of slip on DVF sneakers (in white and black) that I live in around the house and to the gym. When I move to a warmer climate, maybe I will wear them more. Hard to wear in NE winters.
    Love the Peach is it? laces with the grey. Looks great with jeans! xoxo

• January 21, 2014 / 2:52 pm

Yes, not really a wintertime look in cold climates. We are like Groundhog Day (the movie) around here. 60’s and 70’s and dry every single day. Very worrisome.
      It’s actually a neon orange – a light orange that does sort of look like a peach color. I love it! xo

17. January 21, 2014 / 9:35 am

You look stunning Adrienne, and great post on sneakers, I def need new ones! xo Caroline

• January 21, 2014 / 2:59 pm

Thank you, Caroline! There are so many cute sneakers out there right now. Check out J Crew – they have some darling New Balance sneakers.

18. January 21, 2014 / 10:42 am

All of these are such great pictures and styles, Adrienne. I love the youthful feel of sneakers for casual looks. But, I rarely wear them. Thanks for the inspiration.

• January 21, 2014 / 3:01 pm

Sneakers are so youthful and you can move so freely and easily in them. I love that aspect the most – heels are cute and so stylish but they are a pain to walk in, at least for me!

19. January 21, 2014 / 2:04 pm

Adrienne, your fashion posts keep getting better and better … and this one is no exception! Your photos are gorgeous … and your beauty and ease in front of the camera … has you every bit the professional model! Your natural beauty just radiates!

After seeing this post, I might give this a try. Last year, wanting to add some ‘sneaker chic’ to my wardrobe I bought an Italian pair of Supergas.. after falling in love with them, after seeing J Crew use them so often. But because of the very same reasons you mentioned … they remain unworn. Now after seeing you style them so well … I need to give “sneaker chic” a try …. and I really should. Because truth be told … I spend most of my days in work out attire and running shoes … but this look with sneakers … has no chic to it :))

Thank you Adrienne for another dose of fashion inspiration! I know I can dress fabulous for any ‘occasion’ … but my day to day … real work day clothes … need an injection of chic … and a bit more effort on my part!

xoxo
    Tamera

• January 21, 2014 / 3:05 pm

My gray sneakers – the solid colored ones in this post – are Superga! I love them…so classic.
      I bet you could put together something really fantastic with your sneakers. I would love to see what!
      xoxo

20. January 21, 2014 / 8:53 pm

Sneaker chic at its best! You do look fabulous in front of the camera and especially when you’re having so much fun. I’ve recently adopted this new trend (with the help and push of my daughter and crew) and I’m actually loving it. Talk about fun and the bonus of easily getting things done. Thanks for getting me inspired and brave enough to post some fun and relaxing pictures on the blog. When and if I do, is it Ok with you to link back to this amazing post?

21. January 21, 2014 / 9:24 pm

Hi Adrienne! I love your ‘sneaker chic’ looks. You can definitely pull these off girlfriend. Nice job mixing the elements. I tend to go yoga pants and sneakers or street clothes and flats for casual. I do love how you’ve mixed it up. I agree-grey and black are my favorite options (white looks like all feet;).
    Fun post and looking gorgeous as ever!
    xx, Heather

22. January 21, 2014 / 10:33 pm

Super cute Adrienne. Love the Supergas the best. Also liking the Nikes though too. Good tips. Think I’ll try this tomorrow! Love having happy feet and now that the Parisians are doing it -hey it’s chic! Again such pretty photos! xx

23. January 22, 2014 / 4:02 am

They actually look really great on you. As young as i am, i am yet to embrace this trend. Wearing sneakers outside (and not working out) is so not my thing. The only thing i have close to looking like sneakers are my black leather converse which i’ve had for 5 years and wear on rare occasions.

Maybe i’ll give this trend a go as a way to break out of my comfort zone 🙂

In response to the salad comment from your previous post, i tend to find leafy greens bland and they make me feel like a goat because as a kid growing up, it was my job to cut the grass and feed the goats (and rams) we had in the compound. So i tend to associate uncooked leafy greens with that memory. Silly i know, but i’m working on it

xo Stephanie

24. January 22, 2014 / 3:05 pm

I too have been one to only wear sneakers for working out. This past October my husband and I spent a few days in New York City and I did opt for sneakers on our whirlwind sightseeing day. I’m glad I did, however, I did forbid him from taking any photos showing my feet! With my black Nike’s I wore ponte knit pants, a nice white tee with a coordinating scarf and trench. I felt confident that my look was pulled together in spite of the awkward sneakers.

I LOVE this post and the outfits you put together with your sneakers. I’ve just looked on Zappos for a pair of Supergas. They are adorable and as I am a bit south of you in Walnut Creek and enduring this not so typical winter weather I know I’ll get use of them very soon.

25. January 23, 2014 / 9:23 am

Love all the looks you created with your sneakers…99% of the time I wear my sneakers for working out, although I have a pair of lightweight Pumas that I wear running errands every now and then. (but only with yoga pants) I may give sneaker chic w/ jeans a try!

I was returning a pair of shoes at Macy’s yesterday and saw some Nike’s on the clearance rack that are almost identical to yours. (the color might be a tad different) Being the only size 11 left, I snatched them up!

You are so good at putting outfits together…thanks for the all the fashion tips! 🙂

Have a great week!

26. January 24, 2014 / 2:17 am

I’m definitely a big sneaker chic fan! I’ve got my dark grey and pink Nikes on right now :0

27. January 24, 2014 / 3:09 am

Love this post, Adrienne! What chic looks & comfy too! I’m going to have to try this trend!

Dawn Lucy
    Fashionshouldbefun.blogspot.com

28. Debra Devincenzi
    January 24, 2014 / 1:03 pm

Love love love your looks! Wish I had started reading your fashion blogs before I left for LA! It would have saved me tons of room in my luggage! keep ‘m coming A! You have a new fan!

29. February 1, 2014 / 11:45 am

Adrienne, I started a fashion board on Pinterest because I wanted to capture all of your styles so I can try them! And I’m not even a Pinterest person! 🙂

30. February 6, 2014 / 4:30 pm

I may be a bit late commenting, but saw this and I am definately in a sneaker phase now. I know it is a trend, but bought Sam Edelman’s leopard van-like sneaks, some Coach floral ones, and am tempted to get another pair of slip ons. It helps when you have a muscle condition, but hey, I have to take advantage of the stylish and comfortable. THanks for lookin in on my site too, and twitter! I follow you as well. I like the looks you have created, so down to earth.
    jesss xo

31. Pingback: How to Look Edgy
  32. May 7, 2014 / 12:13 am

you carry a good dressing style. and your sneaker collection is amazing

33. Pingback: Gone Gray
  34. Sandra J.
    March 22, 2016 / 4:32 pm

Hi there, I’m new to following your Blog and I am really enjoying it! Love your Napa style!! In this “Sneaker Chic Style” post I was drawn to the tote bag by Sylvia Steininger. I did a Google search but I couldn’t find her items. Would you be kind enough to let me know where I might find these lovely totes? TIA, and keep up the great work!

March 22, 2016 / 4:40 pm

Hi Sandra,

Aren’t Sylvia’s bags wonderful? She is no longer making them but she may have a few left. I just sent her a message asking and will respond back to you here once I find out. Thank you for the kind words too!

March 23, 2016 / 7:33 am

Hi Sandra,
      Sylvia has just one tote bag ready for sale. It’s a light green and black bag. Let me know if you’re interested in seeing it and I can put you in touch with Sylvia.
      Best, Adrienne