Tria Age-Defying Laser

I knew if I ever posted photos of myself on my blog without a drop of makeup on, it would have to be for a pretty good reason. The people at Tria gave me a reason and I am so glad they did!

Last month, Tria sent me their Tria Age-Defying Laser and asked me to review it over the course of their recommended 12-week program.

tria-age-defying-laser

What is The Tria Age-Defying Laser? It is a handheld anti-aging laser for personal, at-home use. It employs a laser light to activate your body’s own natural collagen renewal process to stimulate the growth of new skin cells, which in turn can reduce fine lines and create smoother skin.

I started using the Tria Age Defying Laser three weeks ago, carefully reading and following all directions. You begin the program by setting your Tria on level one, treating one section of your face at a time until a beep tells you to move on to the next section.

tria-age-defying-laser-use

The first week’s treatment familiarizes you with using the device, prepares your skin for the next level and gets you comfortable with the sensation of the laser. I would not say that the laser hurts. It feels like tiny little warm pin pricks. Not painful but a bit uncomfortable.

Once you have completed five treatments in a seven-day period, you are ready to move on to level two, which is where I am now.  Level two is more intense and the treatment takes longer, a total of four minutes, whereas level one lasts just two minutes.

I admit that the first night I used Tria on level two, I noticed more discomfort and I felt sunburned afterward. I worried that I would wake up the next day looking like a tomato but I didn’t. I only experienced slight redness that soon dissipated. As the days went on, the discomfort lessened and so did the redness.

I have been taking weekly photos of my progress. Photos are taken in the same room at the same time of day in the same pose – straight ahead and no smile so you can best see the progression.

Here is my first photo, taken Febrary 11th, a few weeks before the Tria Age-Defying Laser arrived.

tria-age-defying-laser-before

I soon learned to pull my hair off my face for better progress photos!

After one week on level one, I noticed my skin was smoother. Not much of a visible change but let’s just say I could not stop touching my face, it was so lovely to feel! This photo was taken on March 5th.

tria-age-defying-laser-week1

After two weeks, I noticed the deep crease on my forehead had become shallower and my nasolabial folds or “laugh lines” were less pronounced.  This photo was taken on March 11th.

tria-age-defying-laser-week2

After three weeks, the deep forehead crease is even less noticeable and my cheeks and the area around my mouth look more taut and full (my red nose has nothing to do with the Tria and everything to do with my springtime allergies). I even see that my brown spots are starting to lighten up a bit. This photo was taken two days ago, just shy of my three week mark.

tria-age-defying-laser-week3

Here are a few more things I love about the Tria Age Defying Laser:

1. Cost: While a Fraxel laser treatment in a doctor’s office can cost around $1000 per session, the Tria Age-Defying Laser is half that price.

2. Use it in your own home: There is no driving to appointments, taking time out of your schedule or even getting dressed to use the Tria. I use mine right after I brush my teeth and wash my face at night.

3. No needles, no scarring: It’s non-evasive and although there is some discomfort, it’s very tolerable and after about a week on level two, I am completely used to it. Is it weird to say I sort of like the sensation? It lets me know it’s doing something!

4. Changes are gradual: People will notice but they won’t “notice”, if you know what I mean. The changes are very subtle but they are happening.

5. No down time: Many lasers you get in the doctor’s office require you to stay home to recover for a few days and even as long as 10 days or more. There is zero down time with Tria Age-Defying Laser, only temporary redness and occasional dryness.

6. Increases the absorption of serums and creams: Wouldn’t it be great to get your money’s worth out of all those expensive skincare products? Tria helps your skin absorb those products into your skin, allowing them to do what you want them to.

7. Easy to use: There is a very short learning curve with the Tria. You want to follow the simple directions in the booklet and make sure you cover each of the four areas of your face properly. If you’re not making correct contact with your skin, the laser will not activate. Recharging the Tria is a snap. Just set it in your charging dock until the blue light has stopped blinking. I only need to charge mine about once a week.

8. Safe: Tria is cleared for use by the FDA and has been used safely for years in Canada and Japan.

It’s easy to see why I love using mine so much!

Have any questions about Tria Age-Defying Laser?

Visit the Tria website

If you’re interested in buying a Tria Age-Defying Laser, you can purchase direct from Tria or from one of these retailers:

Sephora

Bloomingdales

Amazon

I will be posting progress photos on my Facebook page, Instagram and Twitter and posting periodic updates here on the blog over the next couple of months as I move through the 12-week program.

Stay tuned!

Disclosure: Tria gave me a Tria Age-Defying Laser to review and keep. All opinions expressed about Tria Age-Defying Beauty are my own.

1. March 21, 2014 / 7:33 am

This is so interesting, Adrienne. I can see a difference in your photos. I was not familiar with the program at all.

March 21, 2014 / 8:25 am

I am so glad you can see the changes, Leigh. It’s hard to get them to really show up in photos. And I can only describe the way it feels!

2. Chrissy
    March 21, 2014 / 7:55 am

Great results Adrienne. I feel like my skin is really starting to sag. Do you feel it tightened up your skin on your face? Do you use it on your jawline and neck? I’m going to check out their website. Thanks for the brave no makeup photos. You look great!

March 21, 2014 / 8:27 am

I feel an all-over tautness that I didn’t have before. I feel like my forehead is less heavy. As if my eyebrows are higher. I assume that is the skin tightening. Not noticing it as much along my jawline yet. But I think that’s because I am more focused on the deep crease across my forehead and my laugh lines. It’s only the beginning of week 4 of 12 so I am sure there will be even more tightening!

3. March 21, 2014 / 8:37 am

I do see the improvement in your forehead crease and the dark spots fading!! I’ve been using mine for just over three weeks now and love it!! The “no down time”, is a huge benefit. I’ve had lasers used on my face to help with sun damage, but always looked ghastly for days after. Not with this Tria! I also pack it in my bag and bring along when I travel too. Thanks for being brave about showing your progress. You look terrific. xoJennifer

March 23, 2014 / 6:07 pm

Isn’t it amazing?? I love what it’s doing to my brown spots. I don’t even need to look at my progress photos to see that they are fading.
      It’s great for travel. I will definitely be bringing mine along on our Napa trip!
      xo, A

4. March 21, 2014 / 8:37 am

Your skin does look better! That is wonderful to see such great results in such a short time.
    I once had my capillaries zapped by laser as I have rosacea and it was slightly uncomfortable and if took three or more visits and was over $1000 so to get results like you are enjoying for half the amount is very encouraging. You must be pleased!

March 21, 2014 / 1:02 pm

I do see a difference in your skin absolutely. You look beautiful without makeup by the way.
    Do you know after the 12 week period, when you can use it again for another 12 weeks? That’s been my hesitation with buying one. Would love to know that.

March 23, 2014 / 6:04 pm

Hi Kathy,

I asked that very same question and was told that the Tria could be used again past the 12 week program. They advised to take a month off, then resume using it, starting at the beginning on level one. I am definitely going to be doing that!

6. March 21, 2014 / 1:51 pm

Adrienne, your review was fantastic, and I love how you showed your unmake version of yourself, which my the way, is a very beautiful lady. I wasn’t familiar at all with this product so I found it to be very helpful.

March 23, 2014 / 6:28 pm

Thank you, Trina! I really did not want to show these photos – believe me, I am still cringing – but I got over my vanity to show how well this thing works!

7. March 21, 2014 / 5:13 pm

Very interesting! I hadn’t heard of this technology but I am going to investigate. You are gorgeous sans makeup. xox

8. March 21, 2014 / 10:11 pm

Adrienne, You look great and I would love to try this too. I have some of those deep forehead lines I’d like to work on! I see nothing on you. You have terrific skin. Neat product and I appreciate your honest review of the whole process. x Kim

9. Linda Salazar
    March 22, 2014 / 7:20 am

You have such great skin, even before you started using the Tria but I can see a difference in the “after” photos. I would love to try this device but worry about using anything on my sensitive skin. I can’t even use my Clarisonic very often, only once every few weeks.

Lindxo

10. Shelley
    March 22, 2014 / 12:09 pm

I too am going through the 12 weeks like Adrienne. Linda, I too have very sensitive skin so I was a little nervous as I was starting. I have found the cleanser to be great and does not bother my skin. I expected to see more redness and irritation with my skin than I am and like Adrienne said, it is always gone by morning. The finishing serum is also amazing. I can not believe the results I am seeing on myself too. I have a scar by my mouth/nose that I have had for 35 years and it too is diminishing.

• Linda Salazar
      March 22, 2014 / 1:59 pm

Thanks Shelley!

March 29, 2014 / 11:47 am

Shelley,

I agree – the cleanser is great. Many make me break out but not this product. It’s gentle but effective.
      The serum has really helped keep redness at bay. I love how is really soaks in and keeps my skin hydrated.
      So exciting that your scar is diminishing! I am loving how my prominent forehead wrinkle is so much shallower than it once was. Such great results. I am very pleased!
      Keep in touch with your progress! Would love to hear more about your experience.

11. March 23, 2014 / 8:04 am

I’ve always wondered if these treatments really worked. Thanks for sharing your results!

12. Adrienne Shubin
    March 23, 2014 / 7:00 pm

Did you get good results from your laser treatments?
    What I love about the Tria is I don’t have to leave the house to get the benefits.
    I am very pleased with everything the Tria does!

13. Margaret
    March 24, 2014 / 2:10 pm

Girl, how cute are you without make-up!?

March 29, 2014 / 11:38 am

Thanks, Margaret!

14. March 28, 2014 / 5:25 pm

how wonderful. I wonder if I can get one here in Aus! and I agree you have lovely skin without makeup!

March 29, 2014 / 11:37 am

Not sure. I know they sell in Canada and Japan but I am not sure what other countries they are sold in. Please let me know if they sell it in Australia if you happen to search around.

15. March 28, 2014 / 6:46 pm

I have read a lot about this laser. I was hesitant to try it, but looking at your results, yes I can see a difference, I think I may take the leap. Thank you for sharing your photos. By the way, your skin looks great!
    Barbara @ www.allmyivesnow.com

March 29, 2014 / 11:36 am

Thank you, Barbara! My skin continues to improve. I will have another post up with progress photos on my Facebook page soon and in a blog post after week 6!

16. Liz
    March 29, 2014 / 11:06 am

Someone needs to address (so let it be me) the scarring at home Fraxel can cause. I did not try the Tria but the PaloVia which left me with hideous brown marks under my eyes where I was trying to firm the sunken look of my eyes. I have been treating these marks for years and they are finally getting to the point where they are not ruining my looks.

March 29, 2014 / 11:35 am

Hi Liz,

Sorry that that happened with you when you used the PaloVia. I have never heard of that product.
      Tria Age-Defying Laser instructs that you stay away from the delicate eye area – which I have been – in their instruction manual. I only treat my cheekbones and below and steer clear of my eyes.
      Hope your spot finally fade!

17. Suzi W
    March 30, 2014 / 10:16 am

Bon courage!
    I just ordered the Tria from QVC and look forward to beginning my program this week.

Adrienne, thank you so much for your frankness, both in your review and photos. I agree with everyone who has commented that you look attractive without makeup. You are one of the lucky ones! The Tria Dir. of Education who presented this laser said that some see results after 2 weeks & your photos certainly confirm this. I plan to follow your posts through to the end.

A year ago I purchased the PaloVia that Liz mentioned. It is different from the Tria in that it requires holding the device’s treatment window in full contact with the rectangular treatment area for approx. 7 seconds (I counted the 7 clicking noises til the pain stopped with each lasered ‘stamp’) while it repeatedly penetrates the dermis. They recommend walking it along wrinkles around the eye. It worked, but in my case it left plumped up rectangular stamps of improvements. It was a real chore to try to evenly overlap the treated areas without leaving edges especially given that the full treatment must remain in contact with the skin despite the obvious facial contours. I also noticed some skin darkening under my eyes, but using the peel pads by Dr. Dennis Gross quickly removed the discoloration. I highly recommend using these along with the Tria as well.

With regard to treatment window, how difficult is it to maintain skin contact with the Tria? Does it have a laser window or is it just the two little contacts on either side that need to consistently touch the skin?

• Liz
      March 30, 2014 / 12:45 pm

I saw a demo on Friday Night Beauty (not too much of a beauty to be home on a Friday night) on QVC and figured out the PaloVia and Tria are similar it goes on my but the Tria has continuous treatment. I think that means it goes on my must try list. Peel pads are a good idea except I did a Philosophy peel that left me whiter than a ghost. Not a good look for me.

March 31, 2014 / 8:01 am

Liz,

So the major difference between the PaloVia and the Tria is that the Tria sweeps across your skin rather than stamping?

March 31, 2014 / 8:00 am

Hi Suzi,

So interesting about the PaloVia. It does sound like uneven results would be likely with that sort of stamping method.
      I have had no problems with the laser making contact with my skin. It is very easy to use. I hold it parallel to my face and slowly sweep back and forth – horizontally – across the sections of my face. For my forehead, because my nose gets in the way, I do the area between my brows in a vertical motion.
      I will have an update on the blog in the next couple of weeks. I am still on level two but may be trying out level three which has the same intensity but a much longer treatment.
      Keep in touch and feel free to ask me any questions you may have! So exciting that you ordered one. That QVC price was great…they sold out fast!

18. Jodie
    April 16, 2014 / 5:33 pm

I really enjoy looking at your blog. Thank you for sharing your review for the Tria. I just ordered mine. I don’t know if you receive credit or not, but you should because I never would have ordered it without reading your review. I can’t wait to receive it and go to work on my 48 year old skin!

19. Elly
    April 17, 2014 / 7:07 am

I had read some encouraging reviews and was contemplating getting one of these. Unfortunately other than the images getting lighter and the hair tighter I don’t see much difference in the skin. There seems to be more pigmentation in the last one especially in the lower face (not including the nose). Did the blotches clam down afterwards? Are you still using it and how has it been since then?

• liz
      April 17, 2014 / 7:28 am

I don’t own a Tria but I think it must work. It is Fraxel technology where improvement in the skin was measured with instruments (not just people saying they saw an improvement.) To me, it’s better than an office procedure because I wouldn’t want the face of a 30 year old with a 55 year old something else–and there’s always a something else…I’m surprised they don’t have voice anti-aging. Who wants the voice of a 60 year old coming out of a 30 year old mouth.

20. Lizzie
    April 24, 2014 / 5:10 pm

I have ordered one from QVC but they did not supply cleanser or any other type of skin care. I intend using the premium brand I currently use but would like some clarification on what order to use it. Should this be used on bare skin or on top of a serum or on top of a serum and moisturiser. I would be grateful for any help with this especially on whether to moisturise immediately after use. Your pictures are fantastic and show the improvement I found them very encouraging and I hope I get equally good results.

April 24, 2014 / 7:24 pm

Hi Lizzie,

Cleanse your skin in the evening and dry your face well. Then use the Tria device. After you have finished your treatment, apply your serum or moisturizer and that’s it! Don’t forget to use sunscreen daily and reapply throughout the day.
      Hope you love your Tria as much as I love mine!

21. Linda McNulty Sauer
    April 25, 2014 / 8:48 am

I just received my Tria laser a few days ago as a gift for my 56th Birthday and our 25th Anniversary. Your pictures are amazing! I commend you for posting them. The booklet said it doesn’t help brown spots but I see yours have faded a bit. Thank you so much for your blog post which has persuaded me to keep the laser rather then send it back untried. You’ve inspired me to take photographs before I start and as I go along. I hope my results are half as good as yours. I’m quite quite a bit older and very fair with blond hair and glow in the dark type skin.

22. pnutbutter
    April 25, 2014 / 12:52 pm

I have moderate rosacea on my face. Does anyone know if i can still use Tria and will it work my skin? I have been wanting to buy it but cant find anything about rosacea and sensitive skin’s response to Tria
    Thanks

April 25, 2014 / 1:21 pm

I put up a Q & A post recently and included an answer about the rosacea issue. Here is the link: http://www.therichlifeonabudget.com/2014/04/tria-age-defying-laser-eight-week-update-q.html It published on April 18th.

• Suzi W
      April 25, 2014 / 1:47 pm

Hi Pnutbutter,

Tria is cautious about rosacea claims, but I found quotes by several dermatologists and plastic surgeons who said that this type of non ablative laser treatment can reduce redness and broken capillaries. I have very mild rosacea on the nose and chin and am finding that it is less noticeable after my first and second weeks of treatment with the Tria. I have used level 2 from the beginning and only glide over the reddish areas once or twice during a treatment. I had better results using my normal Purity Made Simple before the treatments and a mix of argon oil and TrueScience by LifeVantage than I did with the Tria products. The combo is soothing and speeds results from the outside esp brownish spots while the Tria is building up great results to come from underneath. The TrueScience is the skin care compliment to Protandim by LifeVantage if you’ve heard of that.

23. pnutbutter
    May 1, 2014 / 11:51 am

Thank you! I havent heard of Trusicnece or Lifevantage. I will have to look into their products. I have dry, sensitive skin with moderate rosacea ! 🙁 Lucky me!

24. lilypink
    June 22, 2014 / 5:56 am

Hi I would like to ask you is it good for pregnant women.

June 23, 2014 / 8:45 am

I sent a note to my contact at Tria and will let you know when I hear back from them regarding the pregnancy question.
      Thanks for asking!
      A

June 23, 2014 / 9:20 am

Hi there. I heard back from Tria and they advise pregnant women not to use the Tria Age-Defying Laser because it has not been tested on them yet.
      Hope that answers your question!

25. marcie
    October 27, 2014 / 4:59 pm

I have had fraxel, and I have had expensive procedures like peels, and have purchased the most expensive creams from famous dermatologists. However, while the worked alittle, I found better results by using the Made From Earth Sea Kelp Mask 2 times per week. Thats it – just 2 TIMES PER WEEK. I use the mask at night before bed and It evened out my skin tone, and fixed some hyper pigmentation damage. definitely recommend it over Fraxel, and its alot cheaper and way better for your skin.

• liz kroin
      October 28, 2014 / 2:18 pm

I’ll try it. I like Josie Maran argan oil but I have to supplement w/ a no!no! GLOW and Foreo Luna or I don’t feel fully dressed.